Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Aug 23, 2014, 03:38:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657909 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 68 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: What new music did you buy today.  (Read 34215 times)
edison

« Reply #75 on: Jun 08, 2011, 09:56:15 AM »

I didn't care for the new Stranded Horse album at all (though I do approve of the name alteration). To me, it's so bad and dull it's confusing, especially coming after that great debut.

Oh wow, I wouldn't be quite so harsh about the Stranded Horse album, although I will concede that it's a bit of a disappointment compared to the first one. I'm actually quite fond of about half of the album (in particular: the opener, closer and the French tracks). The Smiths cover is pretty jarring, though, and the thing that I find most troublesome about it (the overly affected adopted British accent and vocal stylings) occasionally tarnishes my enjoyment of the rest as well.

I've never made a very decisive attempt to actually engage with the record so am unable to comment further, but I believe that Smiths cover may be 80% responsible in turning me off the idea of listening to the whole thing again. Maybe I should remove it from the playlist and see how it works then.

Also, I should get on the Will Johnson EP action, especially considering how much I liked Vultures Await.
alex

« Reply #76 on: Jun 08, 2011, 10:55:32 AM »

I cannot guarantee that you will enjoy the rest of the album, but removing that track from the playlist certainly isn't something you'd be very likely to regret. Do it!

re: Will Johnson, the same applies: Do it!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #77 on: Jun 08, 2011, 05:10:59 PM »

My friends in the Richmond VA band Real Talk released their demo at their show last night, and I picked up a copy of the cassette version. Any of you who are interested in raw, angry hardcore played by talented musicians with heavy influences from Void, Born Against and Black Flag should give it a listen on their Bandcamp site--it's seriously fucking great.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
jebreject

« Reply #78 on: Jun 08, 2011, 05:36:39 PM »

That sounds exactly up my alley. I'll check it out in a bit. Thanks dude.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
peacocks

« Reply #79 on: Jun 10, 2011, 02:35:47 PM »

I just bought

boz scaggs- middle man
fleetwood mac- s/t
bruce springsteen- the river
del shannon- best of
roxy music- flesh+blood

weee!

dick-check your priviledge
jebreject

« Reply #80 on: Jun 10, 2011, 06:22:33 PM »

My friends in the Richmond VA band Real Talk released their demo at their show last night, and I picked up a copy of the cassette version. Any of you who are interested in raw, angry hardcore played by talented musicians with heavy influences from Void, Born Against and Black Flag should give it a listen on their Bandcamp site--it's seriously fucking great.

I don't know if it's the production or what, but something is leaving me feeling kind of flat. I think I'd really like to see them live.
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2011, 05:26:32 PM by jebreject » Logged

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #81 on: Jun 10, 2011, 07:53:26 PM »

I think it probably is the production. I already know all the songs, so it makes it easier to ignore the limitations of the recording.

Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #82 on: Jun 11, 2011, 02:27:43 AM »

Cult Of Youth - S/T
I know nothing about Cult Of Youth. But Sacred Bones have a great track record and I'm a sucker for their jacket designs.

Timmy's Organism - Rise Of The Green Gorilla
Solo project of Timmy Vulgar from the unhinged and brilliant Human Eye. I'm looking forward to this one.

Moritz Von Oswald Trio - Vertical Ascent.
Great cover. I've got this playing now. It really is a stunning sounding album.

Other records I got:
Rot Shit - 7" ep
Oneohtrix Point Never - Returnal
Gary War - Police Water ep
Mitch Ryder - The Detroit-Memphis Experiment
Shangri-La's - 65!
Arthur Russell - Is It All Over My Face 12"
Oblivians - On The Go (used)

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
peacocks

« Reply #83 on: Jun 11, 2011, 02:31:10 AM »

yeah I really like the sacred bones cover designs, too! I have an effi briest record released on that labe that I like quite a bitl. I'll have to check out cult of youth.

Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #84 on: Jun 12, 2011, 06:26:29 AM »

I'll have to check out cult of youth.

Certainly check it out before buying. I played the first side and thought it was OK-ish but I had doubts. The first song was pretty good. By the end of side two I really hated this band. A quick online check suggest this is called "post-industrial neo-folk". Which is apparently a thing. Precious twaddle for the most part. And they're from Brooklyn of course. A place that seems to exist solely to shit out worthless bands on an almost daily basis.

Nice cover though.
« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2011, 06:28:46 AM by Killdozersnakeboy » Logged

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
peacocks

« Reply #85 on: Jun 12, 2011, 11:52:24 AM »

shit! What about the other sacred bones you got? Timmy's Organism, did you like that?

Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #86 on: Jun 12, 2011, 12:43:12 PM »

shit! What about the other sacred bones you got? Timmy's Organism, did you like that?

Oh yeah. That's a good record. Totally fucked. Timmy Vulgar is my sort of guy. It's a great LP full of his retro-futurism. Lot's of garage noise mixed with 70's glam. He's thrown in some acoustic songs and even some Eno-esque stuff to finish out the album. Great record.
The next Human Eye LP will be on Sacred Bones as well. I'll be getting that as soon as I see it. I've no idea why a band as amazing as Human Eye haven't caught on here or anywhere else.
« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2011, 02:46:14 PM by Killdozersnakeboy » Logged

reebty

« Reply #87 on: Jun 16, 2011, 01:56:03 AM »

« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2011, 07:33:19 AM by reebty » Logged
ellaguru

« Reply #88 on: Jun 18, 2011, 02:34:40 PM »

Picked up a couple records:

Dr. John - The Sun, Moon & Herbs
The Who - Quadrophenia, which I probably shouldn't admit I didn't already own
T. Rex - Electric Warrior
The Selecter - Celebrate the Bullet
Ella Fitzgerald Sings The Cole Porter Songbook + Rhythm Is My Business
Stan Getz - The Original Bossa Nova Album
Antonio Carlos Jobim - Urubu
Dave Brubeck - The Last Set at Newport
Stephane Grappelli - Vintage 1981
Pete Seeger - We Shall Overcome, which is live set
& Mahler - Symphonies 1, 6 & 9, which I did already own, but in a different recording.

The Dr. John is playing now, and it was a good purchase to make.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
peacocks

« Reply #89 on: Jun 19, 2011, 11:50:51 AM »

I got

Kate Bush- Never for Ever
Thomas Dolby- the Golden Age of Wireless
Human Eye- They Came From the Sky

I listened to Human Eye at the shop, I love the progression of this album. It starts off really heavy and almost unlistenable, I thought- but then the next song and the next song become more and more accessible incorporating more and more styles and influences. I also love that most of the songs are about aliens. And that was only the first side! I was really contemplating giving this to my step-dad because one song sounds so much like black sabbath but I wanna keep it. The cover is gorgeous, too. The guy who owns the record store I bought it from has hung out with Timmy a bunch and was telling me insane stories about him. I HAVE to see them if they ever come down here.

Maaik

« Reply #90 on: Jun 19, 2011, 03:30:23 PM »

This. Is fucking awesome. What does it sound like?

I need anne the man lessons
peacocks

« Reply #91 on: Jun 19, 2011, 05:58:36 PM »

I have that album! It's fucking awesome. It is chock full of awesome, actually. cadillac, the craw daddy and sixteen tons are the absolute best to dance to. The titular track also rules. It sounds like rock n roll.

peacocks

« Reply #92 on: Jun 19, 2011, 06:07:13 PM »

I just put it on and I mean. one of the lyrics is "if you do the craw-daddy all right, I'm gonna buy you a popsicle tonight" I just have to do the craw-daddy.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #93 on: Jun 20, 2011, 02:38:44 AM »

I was reading Tom Ewing's thing about the KLF on oneweekoneband today (here) and was inspired to see exactly what is still available by the KLF these days. I hit up Amazon, and discovered not only that their American label still has editions of The White Room and a best-of compilation available (guess the deletions didn't stick on this side of the pond), but more importantly, that there are brand new still-in-shrinkwrap cassette copies of The White Room available from third-party sellers for as little as one cent! So I'm thinking you can predict what happened next...

That's right, I ordered a brand new KLF cassette for $2.99, including postage! A winner is me!

reebty

« Reply #94 on: Jun 20, 2011, 03:03:21 AM »

This. Is fucking awesome. What does it sound like?

Like peacocks said, fucking awesome is what it sounds like. Goes off in some directions I didn't expect from having mostly heard just his hits.
jm

« Reply #95 on: Jun 20, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »

I was reading Tom Ewing's thing about the KLF on oneweekoneband today (here) and was inspired to see exactly what is still available by the KLF these days. I hit up Amazon, and discovered not only that their American label still has editions of The White Room and a best-of compilation available (guess the deletions didn't stick on this side of the pond), but more importantly, that there are brand new still-in-shrinkwrap cassette copies of The White Room available from third-party sellers for as little as one cent! So I'm thinking you can predict what happened next...

That's right, I ordered a brand new KLF cassette for $2.99, including postage! A winner is me!

Nice! I love the KLF

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #96 on: Jun 25, 2011, 04:32:04 AM »

I walked into town to buy a new suit as the autumn sales are on. Ten mins in a crowded department store convinced me to go buy records instead.

New:
Wishbone Ash - Argus
King Crimson - In The Court of The Crimson King
Cluster - Sowiesoso
Violent Students - Party Addiction

Used:
Hawkwind - Doremi Fasol Latido
Hawkwind - Space Ritual
Premiata Forneria Marconi - Photos Of Ghosts
Final Solutions - Eye Don't Like You 7"
Final Solutions - My Love Is Disappointing 7"

I was pretty chuffed to find the Final Solutions 7"s even if they were 30 bucks a pop.

Also - things are getting distinctly proggy round my way at the moment. Didn't we have a prog thread once?

alex

« Reply #97 on: Jul 02, 2011, 09:33:17 AM »

I bought this:

Leonard Cohen - Ten New Songs

and edison bought me this:

Randy Newman Songbook Vol.2
jebreject

« Reply #98 on: Jul 02, 2011, 10:21:13 AM »

Arrived in the mail today:

Pink Reason - Shit in the Garden LP
Hatefuck - Rock 'n Roll Letdown 7"

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #99 on: Jul 04, 2011, 02:31:50 PM »

Last night at the show:

Algernon Cadwallader - Parrot Flies

And also a four-band comp 7 inch featuring Algernon Cadwallader, Snowing, 1994, and a band with the intriguing name of Boys And Sex. Hmm.

I was hoping for a vinyl copy of the new Algernon, but apparently they pressed it on CD first, so they could get it released, and are using the money from initial CD sales to press vinyl. I may go back and buy the vinyl later, but it's such a good record that I had to own it right now, so I went ahead and bought the CD. I don't think I'll regret it.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: What new music did you buy today.
Jump to: