Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 31, 2014, 02:58:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658143 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 39 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: What new music did you buy today.  (Read 35156 times)
edison

« Reply #200 on: Sep 17, 2011, 12:14:33 PM »

Seconding the love for Ten New Songs, which has a handful of really boring songs, but also five or six songs any songwriter would kill for. I've never really managed to make a connection with Dear Heather, on the other hand (I do like "Because Of").

edit: there should be a new album early next year, too!
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2011, 12:24:32 PM by edison » Logged
edison

« Reply #201 on: Sep 17, 2011, 12:22:57 PM »

Oh, and recent purchases:

RavingLunatic

« Reply #202 on: Sep 17, 2011, 03:49:33 PM »

I got that new Wild Flag album yesterday, and Des Ark's Don't Rock the Boat, Sink the Fucker. Also ordered their first album Loose Lips Sink Ships--looking forward to that getting here along with my ten mystery albums from Deathwish.

I've listened to a bit of Des Ark, and she has some incredibly moving songs, especially "The Lord of the Rings and his Fascist Time Keepers," which was on a split album (Battle of the Beards) she did with another band.

You can hear it on her MySpace page.

On an unrelated note, I wish everyone would just transfer their stuff to Bandcamp. So much better than MySpace.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2011, 12:06:02 AM by RavingLunatic » Logged

I will meditate and then destroy you!
Good Intentions

« Reply #203 on: Sep 17, 2011, 08:23:08 PM »

How is his most recent stuff? The Future might be the last one that I got.

Ten New Songs is pretty great; not entirely consistent, but enough excellent stuff to make up for it. I've listened to Dear Heather five or six times without being able to really make up by mind about it, so I can't really say.
I think Cohen's work has been pretty consistently great. A lot of Dear Heather is really quite touching, and it's a study in how to continue doing what he does well into your 70s. His voice is failing, but he uses this as an opportunity to show off his (and his collarborators') gentle, understated musical arrangements (which have been uniformly excellent throughout his career) and to give over a lot of the singing to his backing cast. There isn't much that really stands out on the album, but there are a number of very good tracks: 'Because Of' has been mentioned, the version of 'Go No More A-Roving' that starts the album off is very soulful, and I really like the way he passes over the vocals to Sharon Robinson on 'The Letters'. I don't think it's as good as The Future, but then again, not many albums are. But all of Cohen's albums are certainly worth owning and listening to. I've put Dear Heather on again, prompted by this conversation, and am pleasantly surprised by how much I'm enjoying it.
justinh

« Reply #204 on: Sep 18, 2011, 05:58:45 AM »

Is that a repress of Lysol?  Or original?  I lust after that one for my Melvins collection (repress or original). 

Original from back in the day. But not the very first press with the gaffer tape. And it was the one large gaping whole in my Melvins vinyl. I was super pleased to see it. It was on the wall in Missing Link. They'd only put it up that morning and I'm surprised it even lasted a few hours to be honest. I think the vinyl is OOP at the moment which seems bizarre as I'd imagine many people would snap it up with it being one of the definitive Melvins records.

We should compare notes, my Melvins records are probably the most valuable chunk of my record collection in dollars. 

If Lysol was a Boner release, I think all that stuff is OOP. 
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #205 on: Sep 18, 2011, 06:58:21 AM »

We should compare notes, my Melvins records are probably the most valuable chunk of my record collection in dollars. 

If Lysol was a Boner release, I think all that stuff is OOP. 

If you don't have it already Missing Link had that picture disc set for the maggot/bootlicker/crybaby trilogy when I was there Friday.

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
justinh

« Reply #206 on: Sep 18, 2011, 07:54:30 PM »

Yeah, I've got that one already.  How much was it?  On popsike that looks like it's went for $200-300. 
Maaik

« Reply #207 on: Sep 22, 2011, 11:49:32 PM »

My 10 CDs for $10 from Deathwish came today!

Bitter End - Mind in Chains
Internal Affairs - Deadly Visions
Converge & Hellchild - Deeper the Wound split
Some Girls - All My Friends Are Going Death
Rise and Fall - Into Oblivion
Killing the Dream - In Place Apart
Narrows - New Distances
Pulling Teeth - Paradise Illusions/Paranoid Delusions
Switchblade - s/t
Slumlords - s/t

This is gonna be a lot of fun to work my way through.

I need anne the man lessons
DanielBurns11

« Reply #208 on: Sep 23, 2011, 02:12:53 AM »

WTF? Deathwish had a 10 CD's for $10 sale? I woulda been all over that had I known.

That Pulling Teeth art is amazing, reminds me of some crazy fucked up He-Man world. Been watching lots of He-Man lately.

Here's some stuff I've gotten recently.

Javan

« Reply #209 on: Sep 23, 2011, 05:15:39 AM »

Some Girls - All My Friends Are Going Death

That's the only album I know of that list, and it's a brilliant one.
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #210 on: Sep 24, 2011, 02:30:51 PM »

Oh, and recent purchases:

Nice! this one has been on my list for ages. Is it as awesome as the one track I have from it?

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #211 on: Sep 25, 2011, 07:47:29 PM »

Out of Myke's Deathwish scores, I can vouch for the Converge/Hellchild split, Some Girls, Narrows, Killing The Dream, and Pulling Teeth. All great bands. Haven't heard the other 5, though.

I also would have been all over that sale, had I known.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Maaik

« Reply #212 on: Sep 25, 2011, 08:19:57 PM »

That Narrows album is the shit. The Converge is good. Killing the Dream and Rise and Fall are good. Switchblade is instrumental metal stuff, which is okay but not terribly interesting. That's about all I made it through before the first Des Ark album came in the mail yesterday.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #213 on: Sep 25, 2011, 08:22:08 PM »

Did you know that Narrows has the same singer who used to be in Botch? I personally think he's a lot of what rules about them.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Maaik

« Reply #214 on: Sep 25, 2011, 08:29:02 PM »

I did not know that. I'm gonna have to get more of their stuff.

jebreject

« Reply #215 on: Sep 26, 2011, 07:54:50 AM »

I would add that I think the latest Pink Reason record is intensely good.  I might like it better than "Cleaning the Mirror". 

Really? It hasn't clicked for me yet. I just set up the new receiver though so I can finally listen to records. Maybe I"ll put it on today and give it a couple listens.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Thermofusion

« Reply #216 on: Sep 28, 2011, 05:09:08 PM »

Jeremiah Cymerman - Fire Sign

New Tzadik release, bought based on a review on Dusted. This shit is excellent. Nick Ink, this is up your alley dogg.

triple paisley minimum
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #217 on: Sep 29, 2011, 06:40:14 AM »

Gene Clark With The Gosdin Brothers
The Spits - I
Eddy Current Suppression Ring - Walking In Unison 12" EP
Linda Perhacs - Parallelograms
Not The Spaces You Know, But Between Them boxtset
John Wesley Coleman/Timmy's Organism - Split 7"
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2011, 06:42:18 AM by Killdozersnakeboy » Logged

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
Maaik

« Reply #218 on: Oct 01, 2011, 04:33:50 PM »

John Vanderslice - Cellar Door
Afghan Whigs - Gentlemen
Swervedriver - Raise
New Order - Substance
Patton Oswalt - Finest Hour

Good Intentions

« Reply #219 on: Oct 01, 2011, 05:16:45 PM »

I own 3/5 out of those, which instantly made this the 'new purhcases' post which I have the highest common ground with (which isn't one of my own) in all the many years of this board.
Maaik

« Reply #220 on: Oct 01, 2011, 05:34:19 PM »

You wanna go out sometime?

coldforge

« Reply #221 on: Oct 01, 2011, 05:48:26 PM »

You guys like all the same things.

l'era del terzo mondo.
Benmont Tench

« Reply #222 on: Oct 01, 2011, 05:53:17 PM »

That is a great haul. Is that a new Patton Oswalt?

I got these yesterday:

Mastodon - The Hunter

Wilco - The Whole Love (Deluxe Edition)

Robin Holcomb - Robin Holcomb

The Bill Frisell Band - Where in the World?

Keep your dripping hair away from the digipak!
Maaik

« Reply #223 on: Oct 01, 2011, 06:38:19 PM »

Yeah, it's got some gems on it.  Considered the Mastodon, passed for this week.

jebreject

« Reply #224 on: Oct 02, 2011, 02:24:02 PM »

The AV Club review of the new Mastodon made me really want to check it out, but it took me forever to warm up to Blood Mountain and even then it didn't really stick with me, and I absolutely hate Crack the Skye, a lot of which sounds like really awful Alice in Chains worship to me--so, like, Godsmack or something, only with some sludge metal thrown in. Oh yeah and also they were really awful live when I saw them on that tour. It's really too bad, because Remission and Leviathan are both really great records.
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2011, 02:26:57 PM by jebreject » Logged

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 23
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: What new music did you buy today.
Jump to: