Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:30:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658143 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 64 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Activism  (Read 3319 times)
peacocks

« Reply #25 on: Jun 06, 2011, 08:34:30 AM »

Yeah, 2 pretty regular organizers in Orlando and the co-founder. The co-founder is choosing to stay in jail and the other two got out on bail. A few years ago a couple people I know were arrested for doing the same thing which sparked the whole court case but there wasn't a clear cut law back then. It's sad and dumb.

dick-check your priviledge
peacocks

« Reply #26 on: Jun 08, 2011, 10:51:22 PM »

fnb keeps doing their thing every monday morning and every wednesday afternoon and people keep getting arrested.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-homeless-feedings-standoff-20110608,0,1972963.story

Thermofusion

« Reply #27 on: Jun 08, 2011, 10:58:14 PM »

That's really ridiculous and depressing. A friend of mine helps organize the local FNB and Really Really Free Market, it's about as harmless as activism gets.

triple paisley minimum
peacocks

« Reply #28 on: Jun 13, 2011, 10:39:29 AM »

note from the co-founder of food not bombs about Orlando:

FOOD NOT BOMBS TO SHARE BREAKFAST AND PRESENT ORLANDO [Mayor] BUDDY DYER WITH A LETTER REQUESTING A MEETING.

Orlando Food Not Bombs also announces several events including A Day WIthout Food on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 and the Black Out Arrests Speak Out at City Hall on Monday, June 27, 2011.

More arrests possible during the June 13th Breakfast at Lake Eola Park. The meal starts at 9:30 AM and everyone is welcome. After the arrests everyone is invited to march to City Hall to deliver the group's letter to Mayor Buddy Dyer requesting a meeting. Copies of the letter adopted at the June 10th Food Not Bombs meeting will be provided to the media outside city hall.

The Orlando police may arrest more volunteers at Lake Eola Park for sharing breakfast with more then 24 people. Support from all over the world is still pouring in. A group of friends emailed to say they would be driving down from Georgia to share food at Lake Eola Park on July 4th.  The on-line petition started in Japan passed 1,000 signatures yesterday. People are making Youtube videos and sending them around the internet. A second online petition was started yesterday.

Local support is also building. A group of local home owners came out from their condominiums to express their support at Wednesday's dinner.   Members of the Orlando Police, jailers and inmates have all told us that they think Buddy Dyer is wrong to arrest us. Everyone from the unions, churches, punk bands, and grocery store clerks to the guy at the copy shop and a woman waiting for her husband near Winn Dixie have offered help. Suggestions of every kind are being emailed or called in. The Detroit Underground gave out 150 sandwiches in solidarity and many other people have organized events in their cities in support.

I walked through the Parramore district of Orlando this afternoon talking with families on their porches and the community living under the 408 bridge. Parramore is on "the other side of the tracks" where many homes and business are owned by the African American community and the area of town where Mayor Buddy Dyer and his business associates intend to move their "homeless problem."  Everyone I meet in Parramore was friendly, welcoming and once they realized I was with Food Not Bombs I was greeted with enthusiasm.   A man that introduced himself as Tyler or "The Professor" called over to me as I left my van eager to talk with me. He told me he had been living on the streets of Orlando for years. He knew the important dates in the history Orlando Food Not Bombs from the early meals to the day when Eric was arrested to the announcement that we had lost the case in Atlanta.  His friend took a photo of  both of us with his cell phone. The staff at the Orlando Union Rescue Mission helped out giving flyers announcing our meals to everyone staying for the evening. The message we are hearing from Russia and Italy to Parramore was don't give up, keep on sharing food, we are behind you all the way.

And we wont give up!

jebreject

« Reply #29 on: Jun 13, 2011, 02:06:29 PM »

That is awesome.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
jm

« Reply #30 on: Jun 13, 2011, 02:30:50 PM »

Hell yeah

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
heather marie

« Reply #31 on: Jun 14, 2011, 11:02:18 PM »

peacocks! will you be downtown tomorrow? I might be heading down there to show some support.
peacocks

« Reply #32 on: Jun 14, 2011, 11:17:18 PM »

you're in orlando! we should totally meet up I should be there around 5:30

peacocks

« Reply #33 on: Jun 15, 2011, 07:35:02 PM »

I went to the food sharing this afternoon and saw 6 people get arrested. One of them was my friend's mom. A guy asked me to help hold a banner so I did.  People were pretty low key, just hanging out doing the normal thing. The cops waited to arrest people until everyone got their food. There was a plain clothes cop(? or somone?) there yelling at the cops in uniform asking them why they needed to arrest non-violent people because he doesn't arrest people and still makes a wage, or something. It was a little confusing hearing so many people heckling the officers once they were carting the food sharing people off. It was pretty emotional watching my friend and her mom talk to each other while one of them was in cuffs. Her mom was ready for it and had been planning on being arrested, but still. So, I signed a petition and held a sign. woo.

heather marie

« Reply #34 on: Jun 15, 2011, 09:20:53 PM »

peacocks, was your friend Jessica? her mom gave my friend and I her keys to pass them on to her because she knew she was getting arrested. sorry I didn't get your info, I was super busy all day until we got down there.

did you hear about the bullshit that was happening? all the previous folks who got arrested were served no trespassing papers and were told they weren't allowed to be on park property and had to stay on the sidewalk.
peacocks

« Reply #35 on: Jun 16, 2011, 12:32:29 AM »

yeah I saw that! Yes, Jessica is my friend! I did hear that someone got trespassed and I was kind of wondering why so many people were staying in that one spot so I guess that was why. My other friend Derek was there and he was telling me a little of what was going on and he said the cops had never been there for the entire sharing before.

cold before sunrise

« Reply #36 on: Jul 08, 2011, 01:27:32 AM »

fuck da police. defending human rights is a good reason to go to jail but i'd be more likely to be arrested for standing behind privacy and maintaining the law of trespass. the right to enjoy our private land and homes without worrying that somebody is going to infringe on that privacy (more to keep authorities from abuse of power than anything: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7_0HlCwb8A - this law passed last year with little fanfare and zero debate or public input, http://nhppa.org/?page_id=1103). whether entitled to make the unethical decision or not, it's unfortunate and classist that the city thinks pretty, quiet parks are more important than human welfare and appear to be blatantly shirking their civic duty. were a judge i'd sentence the mayor to one week of living the life of a vagrant! make him eat garbage and sleep on a bench with no human contact for 7 days. sometimes it's important to take whatever measures are necessary to initiate the process of public discourse... demonstrations are truly necessary for a just and civilized society. what other options are available in situations where idealism collides with the misguided priorities of the ruling class? fist bump to those big-hearted enough to be arrested with somebody else's best interests in mind.

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
peacocks

« Reply #37 on: Aug 19, 2011, 05:28:13 PM »

Mayor Drops Charges in Homeless-Feeding Arrests:http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-homeless-feeding-charges-dropped-20110819,0,6640725.story
Dyer said he made the decision not to prosecute the group's members because they moved their feedings out of Orlando's signature park last month. The group now shares vegetarian food twice a week on the plaza in front of City Hall, just below Dyer's office.

jebreject

« Reply #38 on: Aug 20, 2011, 02:38:37 AM »

Cool

Ignatius

« Reply #39 on: Aug 20, 2011, 11:23:38 AM »

Still kinda pisses me off. The thing about the park was that the clear-out was meant to make it more enjoyable for rich folk, right? If I had a million time, I would lead those homeless on hourly tours through the place.
jebreject

« Reply #40 on: Aug 20, 2011, 11:43:16 AM »

I like the way you think, Iggy.

peacocks

« Reply #41 on: Aug 21, 2011, 01:38:24 AM »

I do too, man. But the thing is you wouldn't have to lead hourly tours. They still live there. I go through that park every week to get to the library and there are always homeless people hanging around, there always have been and always will be. It's just utter bullshit. I kind of wish the mayor HAD kept charges because like main fnb dude says at the end of the article, they were ready to go to court and have the ordinance taken down but now they won't get to, or they will have to try harder to get there.

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #42 on: Aug 21, 2011, 02:03:58 AM »

1: parade homeless through the park.
2:?
3: Ignatius is a douche bag.

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
jebreject

« Reply #43 on: Aug 21, 2011, 11:09:22 AM »

I do too, man. But the thing is you wouldn't have to lead hourly tours. They still live there. I go through that park every week to get to the library and there are always homeless people hanging around, there always have been and always will be. It's just utter bullshit. I kind of wish the mayor HAD kept charges because like main fnb dude says at the end of the article, they were ready to go to court and have the ordinance taken down but now they won't get to, or they will have to try harder to get there.

Well, which is exactly why they dropped the charges. They know it's a battle they can't ultimately win. It's pretty hard to get public support for outlawing feeding the homeless.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: Activism
Jump to: