Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 01, 2014, 02:00:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658143 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 54 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23
Print
Author Topic: goddamn first world problems (annoyed)  (Read 21353 times)
Thermofusion

« Reply #425 on: Oct 04, 2011, 04:28:30 PM »

I had a friend in high school who had to take benedryl every time he came over because we had 3 cats so he's passed out in most of the pictures and memories Sad

I used to do that but it got to a point where pregaming with antihistamines didn't work anymore. Basically, if you have a cat, I can't be in your house.

triple paisley minimum
peacocks

« Reply #426 on: Oct 04, 2011, 05:19:09 PM »

Sad Sad Sad

dick-check your priviledge
Antero

« Reply #427 on: Oct 04, 2011, 11:49:52 PM »

Ugh, that sucks man. On the spectrum of cat allergy intensity, I'm on the "they pretty much kill me" end and it's weird how much that one little thing has affected my life over the years (mostly in terms of missed or stunted social opportunities)
Yeah, I'm definitely on the *headsplode* end of things.

On the plus side, it looks like further opportunities are arising.  And I'm totally going to hang out with the awesome people that I am not going to live with.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
Bernard

« Reply #428 on: Oct 05, 2011, 10:15:24 PM »

What annoys me is when you tell people, look, if you get three cats and never let them out of the house, I am never going to be able to come over, and they get the cats, and then they get all angry that I don't come over. I told you well in advance that I couldn't! I have no reason to fake a cat allergy!

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
DCDave

« Reply #429 on: Oct 05, 2011, 10:29:12 PM »

Steve Jobs died of pancreatic cancer and one of my friends might have pancreatic cancer.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
peacocks

« Reply #430 on: Oct 05, 2011, 10:56:03 PM »

I'm sorry about your friend and hope they don't have cancer! Everyone is different. Things may turn around! I've known two people who had lymphoma, one of them died and one didn't. The one who survived (my gramma) is much older than our family friend who died in his late 30's.

Bernard

« Reply #431 on: Oct 05, 2011, 11:50:29 PM »

Jesus, Dave, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I hope it's something else, not so tough. I wouldn't hashtag that #1wp, that's a real problem.

DCDave

« Reply #432 on: Oct 06, 2011, 05:31:32 PM »

Yeah. I couldn't find the right thread dump. Just waiting to hear back about the biopsy, basically. Much older (age-wise) friend from SF. Blargh blargh.

On the #1wp tip, Barclay's is the worst bank ever.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
jess

« Reply #433 on: Oct 06, 2011, 09:24:32 PM »

Isn't this supposed to be the regular annoyed thread, just named "goddamn first world problems"? I assumed that's what "(annoyed)" meant.

And yeah, really sorry to hear about your friend. Fingers crossed that it's not cancer.
RavingLunatic

« Reply #434 on: Oct 06, 2011, 11:15:38 PM »

Isn't this supposed to be the regular annoyed thread, just named "goddamn first world problems"? I assumed that's what "(annoyed)" meant.

Yeah, but I think Bernard was indicating that something that serious is worse than annoying and worthy of the sad thread.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
peacocks

« Reply #435 on: Oct 06, 2011, 11:40:04 PM »

But it's also annoying to have to wait to find out whether or not people you love have cancer. Been there more than a few times. So he may have been thinking about it in that sense. It would suck just as much if it were in the other thread Sad

RavingLunatic

« Reply #436 on: Oct 06, 2011, 11:55:01 PM »

Oh, totally, I don't think anyone thinks it's a big deal which thread its in. I was just trying to clarify Bernard's comment.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
elpollodiablo

« Reply #437 on: Oct 07, 2011, 03:00:49 PM »

My first world problem of the day is this big stack of Renaissance devotional poetry I have to read before Monday. Certainly a strong point in favor of not continuing my graduate studies past the MA is that I for the most part detest reading poetry.

think 'on the road.'
alex

« Reply #438 on: Oct 07, 2011, 03:05:58 PM »

Shouldn't there come a point where you get to choose your own readings and the percentage of poetry contained in them, though? Would you still have to do (much / any) coursework after the MA?
elpollodiablo

« Reply #439 on: Oct 07, 2011, 03:14:22 PM »

Oh no, not much. But I mean generally if you are an aspiring literature professional, you should probably have an appreciation for poetry that exceeds mine. I wouldn't be expected to read much more poetry for class, but I would definitely be expected to have a working knowledge of all of the major poets in my field and their work.

think 'on the road.'
C of heartbreak

« Reply #440 on: Oct 07, 2011, 03:24:52 PM »

Related question, Pollo:

How broad is the coursework for a master's in literature? And would a doctorate involve any additional broadening, or only a narrow focus? I'm curious because in the sciences a master's (most often attained en route to doctorate) generally consists of a rigorous and in-depth treatment of all the major areas of the subject, and the curriculum everywhere is basically the same. It seems that dividing literature into "all the major areas" would be impossible for a two or three year degree, so I'm wondering if you get to specialize to some extent or if each institution has a different idea about what the essentials are, and that's what you have to study.

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
elpollodiablo

« Reply #441 on: Oct 07, 2011, 03:33:14 PM »

As I understand it, there are generally distribution requirements for an MA in Lit, and those requirements cover periods, mostly: Early Modern, 19th c. British, 20th c. American, etc. The requirements are different for every program, but you typically have your period requirements plus a theory course, a couple of electives, and possibly a cognate allowance (history, philosophy, etc.). The MA (or the first couple of years of your PhD if you're not getting a terminal MA) are generally spent reading broadly, getting a sense of your critical/theoretical philosophy, developing methodologies, learning the ropes of the fuckwitted academy bureaucracy and, so far as I can tell, generally being treated like an undergrad that faculty are required to be somewhat more mindful of. The extent to which you're going to be engaging with your chosen field or area of specialization is going to vary by program and what seminars are available--I'll only end up with one course in 20th c. American lit, and I'll be lucky to get it. You spend more time with your area of focus when writing your thesis/preparing for your exams, as you get to put together your own reading list and rationale for it. It's been my experience that most MAs don't really know precisely what they want to do, even if they've got a general area picked out, and that faculty consider your stated area of specialization a mere preference, if they consider it at all. The PhD is when you're more likely to figure out *exactly* what you want to focus on and get into deep, granular detail with it.

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #442 on: Oct 07, 2011, 03:34:37 PM »

Jesus, I get exhausted just thinking about it.

think 'on the road.'
C of heartbreak

« Reply #443 on: Oct 07, 2011, 03:38:28 PM »

I believe we've discovered the real reason you want to leave after an MA Smile

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
Bernard

« Reply #444 on: Oct 07, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »

Oh, yes, RL is right. I would add that the point of my comment was not that he should have posted elsewhere, but rather that I wanted to acknowledge the severity of the situation by noting that it was more than merely annoying. Not fussed about where the comment goes, just feel bad for the dude.

G.C.R

« Reply #445 on: Oct 07, 2011, 10:58:24 PM »

Snap. I hope your friend is ok, Dave.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #446 on: Oct 07, 2011, 11:15:11 PM »

not having pancreatic cancer is a good thing.
maybe having pancreatic cancer is a very scary bad thing.
having pancreatic cancer means you are very likely to die within the year.

Here's to hoping your friend's situation is up and not down. 

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
coldforge

« Reply #447 on: Oct 07, 2011, 11:22:23 PM »

Thanks for the PSA, knucks.

l'era del terzo mondo.
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #448 on: Oct 07, 2011, 11:35:09 PM »

hey man cancer scares the fuck outta me! like 40k people are diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a year and slightly less than that die from it. Few other cancers have those numbers.  It is a miracle of modern science that Steve Jobs didn't die a year ago

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
peacocks

« Reply #449 on: Oct 08, 2011, 12:46:10 PM »

Shit, I did not know that.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: goddamn first world problems (annoyed)
Jump to: