Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:12:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658104 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 59 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23
Print
Author Topic: goddamn first world problems (annoyed)  (Read 21314 times)
jm

« Reply #500 on: Oct 25, 2011, 06:08:42 PM »

I am hunkered down with the cats in a lightly cheap motel room while our apartment is sprayed for the bugs who shall not be named. This whole experience has been horrific, but at least I'm getting a lot of work done over here.

Dude, mega hugs to you, now and forever.  This shit has made me at-least-low-level-miserable for the last threeish years.  That is, a few months of having them and many months of worrying about ever having them again.  Checking lint, inspecting every square millimeter of itchy skin for evidence of a bite, losing my shit briefly when I *am* bit by mosquitoes, etc.  Fucking sorry to say all that to you, but shit man I am sending every good thought your way.

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #501 on: Oct 25, 2011, 06:35:12 PM »

All of the commiseration from New York has helped a lot, actually! Much Love

think 'on the road.'
Thermofusion

« Reply #502 on: Oct 25, 2011, 07:02:19 PM »

Man bedbugs sound like the worst, but we don't really have them in my neck of the woods. If I end up moving north of the Mason-Dixon I'm going to be hella paranoid about the little fuckers.

triple paisley minimum
Greg Nog

« Reply #503 on: Oct 25, 2011, 08:05:55 PM »

The cool thing about bedbugs is that they bite you and you wake up itching, then can't sleep, then itch more, then get paranoid that they're continuing to bite you, then have more insomnia, so you're an underslept wreck all the next day.  Then the following night, the cycle continues, and the following day you're even more underslept and agitated, then it keeps going with no respite, and eventually you're this high-strung itchy mess, constantly convinced you're covered in blood and bugs, waking up every fifteen minutes in a panic, and basically indistinguishable from your average schizophrenic except you don't even get the delusions that you're talking to angels
Thermofusion

« Reply #504 on: Oct 25, 2011, 08:10:05 PM »

That's some 'Alan Grant talking to a fat kid about velociraptors' shit right there. I couldn't handle that shit, I'd straight set myself on fire.

triple paisley minimum
Greg Nog

« Reply #505 on: Oct 25, 2011, 08:14:53 PM »

After I had them, I noticed that there's this weird after-'Nam thing that people with bad bedbug infestations get, where you're at a party, and someone mentions them, and anyone who's had them immediately huddles up and their empathy cranks up to Ten, and they start trading stories and forming conspiracy theories and telling everyone else "YOU JUST DON'T KNOW, YOU WEREN'T THERE"
Anne the Man

« Reply #506 on: Oct 25, 2011, 11:18:30 PM »

Last night I slept in a tent at my Occupation in gale force winds. Needless to say I didn't sleep a lot. Then for work I had to go take photos/footage at the Rugby World Cup parade. I've never seen crowds like that at Parliament; they could've besieged the place if they had a mind to. Apparently there were 100,000 people or so; imagine if they'd demanded democracy! But instead John Key (Prime Minister) and Phil Goff (opposition leader) get cheered and thank the volunteers who helped out--there's unemployment in this country and everyone's paid taxes for this event and they call in fucking volunteers?! I was basically an atheist at a religious ceremony. And here I am tenting for a real cause and we get ignored and/or mocked. I felt upset and disenfranchised; where's a huge parade for my interests? Also everyone trampled the silverbeet that's presumably part of some community garden project and is planted on traffic islands. Gah.

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
jm

« Reply #507 on: Oct 26, 2011, 03:53:00 AM »

Everything Greg said is absolutely true.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #508 on: Oct 26, 2011, 09:40:17 AM »

I don't have the phobic thing, but D definitely does. She is in freakout mode, which is terrible since she's in NYC and also heading into third trimester. Sad

I'm just exhausted. Terribly, utterly tired. It's also edged me back toward irrational rage. I feel ready to fly off the handle at the slightest inconvenience, and all of my obligations (teaching, meetings, class, reading, etc.) feel like annoying impositions. Compulsive eating, smoking a shit load of pot. Generally feeling like shit.

think 'on the road.'
Greg Nog

« Reply #509 on: Oct 26, 2011, 10:04:12 AM »

Compulsive eating, smoking a shit load of pot.

I would say my drinking basically tripled when I had the bedbugs, in large part because it was the only thing I could rely on to knock myself unconscious.

Also in re conspiracy theories: I remember at one of the aforementioned parties, this girl was like, "Look, I'm a rationalist, I don't tend to form half-cocked theories, but: despite lacking any peer-reviewed evidence, I truly believe there's something in their saliva that actually raises human anxiety levels."
clare

« Reply #510 on: Oct 26, 2011, 06:55:47 PM »

Ugh, 'pollo, that sounds like hell for both (all) of you.

Much Love

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
G.C.R

« Reply #511 on: Oct 26, 2011, 08:01:21 PM »

Also everyone trampled the silverbeet that's presumably part of some community garden project and is planted on traffic islands. Gah.

If its any comfort, that silverbeet is strictly decorative. That close to constant traffic fumes it is definitely not for human consumption.

I think bedbugs, from everything you guys say, would give me the screaming heebie-jeebies. Many, many comiserations your way, pollo.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
elpollodiablo

« Reply #512 on: Oct 27, 2011, 08:26:45 AM »

Wen through the whole rigamarole with washing and bagging everything we own, boxing & sealing up all the books in plastic containers. Dude came and sprayed yesterday. I slept on the couch last night and woke up with bites on the back of my hand.

Fuck.

think 'on the road.'
Nick Ink

« Reply #513 on: Oct 27, 2011, 08:55:59 AM »

Two weeks ago, I ordered a tee shirt from The Wire, and as I hadn't heard anything I emailed them today. They then replied saying that 'the shirts are not back from the printers yet so will be with you in a few weeks.'

A few weeks! It's most certainly a FWP, but come on, that's ridiculous. Good job it wasn't a Christmas present.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
jess

« Reply #514 on: Oct 27, 2011, 09:10:09 AM »

Wen through the whole rigamarole with washing and bagging everything we own, boxing & sealing up all the books in plastic containers. Dude came and sprayed yesterday. I slept on the couch last night and woke up with bites on the back of my hand.

Fuck.

It takes up to 9 days for bed bug bites to show up, so those bites were probably from over a week ago.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #515 on: Oct 27, 2011, 09:12:30 AM »

Man I hope you're right... And maybe, HOPEFULLY, it's the case, and I've just had weird uneven exposure to them... But when we went to Portland a couple weeks ago, my arms and hands had completely cleared up by the time I got my flight out of there, and within 24 hours of being back in the apartment, I was covered in bites again. Sad That was when I started to realize that it was absolutely something in the apartment.
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2011, 09:22:39 AM by elpollodiablo » Logged

think 'on the road.'
jm

« Reply #516 on: Oct 27, 2011, 09:40:59 AM »

Fuck.

It takes up to 9 days for bed bug bites to show up, so those bites were probably from over a week ago.

9 days is on the long end of things, though.  Most of the time, they show up later the same day.

BUT, this is more a case of "all the bedbugs aren't going to die immediately". It takes time for the poison to reach all of them, and usually exterminators do multiple sprayings, spaced a few weeks apart. Ours legally had to come three times, even though ours we gone after two.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #517 on: Oct 27, 2011, 09:45:17 AM »

Thanks, guys.

think 'on the road.'
Greg Nog

« Reply #518 on: Oct 27, 2011, 09:52:08 AM »

Also worth noting: It may have been just one bite that triggered your histamine response, and sent your previous non-active bites into a state of renewal.

And yeah, everything I've read says that at least two sprayings are needed, and that it's actually not wholly bad if you get bitten after spraying, since it means the bugs are continuing to walk around through the poison.
Little Sixes Little Nines

« Reply #519 on: Oct 28, 2011, 05:43:13 AM »

ugh, this bed bugs thing reminds me of prolly the worst night of my life, a few months ago.

so i bought this bed for $3, and then one morning i wake up with this tiny, painful rash on my back. i ignore it, and every night it gets worse, eventually spreading across to my chest, and it's just the worst pain i've ever felt.

so about 4 nights after the rash started, i'm lying in bed at like 2am, and i realise i can't lift my left arm at all, the skin just feels like it's on fire, and i'm drenched in cold sweat. it's not gonna get any better, and i'm paranoid there are bugs crawling in my skin, so i wrap myself up in like 15 layers and make the half hour walk in the rain to the emergency medical centre. i wait in the waiting room for an hour, feel like i'm ready to pass out, and when i finally get to see a doctor she just takes one look at it and says "shingles."
she says too late stage to do anything about it, that i just gotta wait it out.

so i walk back home, and i slam my bedroom door, and my wardrobe just falls over, cutting my leg open on the way down. it was almost comical. i just collapsed on the floor and bled until i fell asleep.

i just sighed (my shitty tumblr)
milly balgeary

« Reply #520 on: Oct 29, 2011, 08:36:13 PM »

i opened the mail that had been gathering on my table and FOUND a letter from the fucking elementary school! because i'm less than 2 miles to the school, they are gonna start charging me $140 per quarter for bussing fees! last year i got away with it, because i just figured i was far enough away, but i guess they "investigated" the situation. and the first quarter sum is due nov 2! it's not the MOST money ever, but i'm a single parent, SHIT.

Bernard

« Reply #521 on: Oct 30, 2011, 01:34:30 AM »

$140 is a lot of money! Dang!

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
peacocks

« Reply #522 on: Oct 30, 2011, 01:35:41 AM »

dang they don't even let you get the bus at all if you live less than 2 miles away here. In elementary school we lived too close for me to take the bus but too far for cross walk people to help me cross this one sort of big road. My mom took me to a friend's house down the street in the morning before she went to work and they took me to school. It was interesting seeing other family's morning rituals.

dick-check your priviledge
jm

« Reply #523 on: Oct 30, 2011, 01:46:06 AM »

I was fortunate enough to live about three blocks from both my elementary and middle schools, so I walked to them, but in high school my choices were either paying for and riding the metro bus or walking, and that was, Google Maps tells me, 1.7 miles away along the shortest route.  But it's super wicked bullshit to charge $140 to bus your kid to school, is the fact of the matter here.

peacocks

« Reply #524 on: Oct 30, 2011, 02:01:28 AM »

less than 2 miles though? It's just not that far. I thought it was bullshit that I wasn't allowed to walk to and from school in elementary but my mom was scared. It never seemed like a big deal for other moms who didn't work to take me or let me hang with their kids til my mom got off work though. Or I went to the extended day morning and afternoon programs. I hated them so much but whatever.

dick-check your priviledge
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: goddamn first world problems (annoyed)
Jump to: