Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 30, 2014, 03:14:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657807 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 73 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22
Print
Author Topic: Too drunk too make a new thread. New Booze Thread.  (Read 19585 times)
elpollodiablo

« Reply #475 on: Dec 30, 2011, 08:17:09 PM »

I bought a bottle of Basil Hayden's today because I wanted to try a new bourbon and the selection at the liquor store in town is seriously limited. Really wish I could have picked up something more offbeat, like another rye, but this is decent sippin' bourbon, I suppose. It's not materially better than the Buffalo Trace, though it's a little less sweet and grassy, a little smoother and a bit spicier. I dunno. I'll probably just end up making cocktails with it. :/

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #476 on: Dec 30, 2011, 08:46:10 PM »

Actually by the end of this glass I've really warmed up to it. That peppery spiciness is really nice.

think 'on the road.'
Antero

« Reply #477 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:04:36 PM »

Basil Hayden's is quite friendly.  Not mindblowing, but very friendly.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
elpollodiablo

« Reply #478 on: Jan 01, 2012, 07:19:42 PM »

Found a can of Gosling's ginger beer in the fridge. 2oz Basil Hayden's + 4oz Gosling's = mmmmmm

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #479 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:02:58 PM »

Today I brewed 10 gals of beer with a dude and was later gifted a bottle of Redbreast 12.

Also these came in the mail

think 'on the road.'
Antero

« Reply #480 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:10:09 PM »

Those glasses are fantastic, good score.

JamesSchneider

« Reply #481 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:13:20 PM »

Yay!

My boozing today is sad, as I'm sick.

My hot toddy
1 tsp raw honey
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 twist of lemon
1 heavy pour of Jim Beam
1 amount of boiling water

Couldn't you take the second bus home?
Greg Nog

« Reply #482 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:45:44 PM »

God, I love those glasses!  Good for scotch, but I also drink Ouzo out of them all the time.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #483 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:00:58 PM »

They will be filled with bourbon and Irish whiskey until I get a bottle of scotch. It has been a long time since I bought a bottle of scotch.

think 'on the road.'
Antero

« Reply #484 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:15:09 PM »

well get some fucking scotch then

elpollodiablo

« Reply #485 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:28:29 PM »

But what! And no more than $60.

think 'on the road.'
justinh

« Reply #486 on: Jan 04, 2012, 11:21:12 PM »

At $5 per 750mL, possibly the best deal in Australian beer
Antero

« Reply #487 on: Jan 04, 2012, 11:38:38 PM »

Talisker 10 and Caol Ila 12 are both about $60.  I'll never say no to those.  Or Bunnhabhain 12, which is fantastic now that they upped the proof a little and about $15 cheaper - that's in a Talisker-y direction.

davy

« Reply #488 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:34:40 AM »

Ok maybe it's not that great if the wine you drink comes out of a box and you twist open a valve to get it in your glass like a water jug thing. Because then you treat the wine like water.

I've become a devoted fan of the Bota Box. Their Old Vine Zin and Shiraz are TOPS and the price is right.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
davy

« Reply #489 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:40:37 AM »

Also these came in the mail

I just bought two of those! (They have not yet come in the mail, but I'm already thinking about what kind of scotch I'm going to buy in honor of getting to use them.)

davy

« Reply #490 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:47:44 AM »

Talisker 10 and Caol Ila 12 are both about $60.  I'll never say no to those.  Or Bunnhabhain 12, which is fantastic now that they upped the proof a little and about $15 cheaper - that's in a Talisker-y direction.

My suggestions would be Glenrothes Select Reserve, Balvenie 12, or Macallan 12. Those should be a little less than $50 most places. I'm especially high on Glenrothes right now, and they've got a number of enticing options in the $45-$75 range.

There's also a really great, pretty scotchy single malt from Virgina called Wasmund's that Dave bought for me when he visited a hundred years ago. Same price range. Still one of the most enjoyable bottles of whisky I've had.
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2012, 10:41:20 AM by davy » Logged

elpollodiablo

« Reply #491 on: Jan 05, 2012, 10:20:38 AM »

Gotta say my tastes have veered away from scotch in the last five years or so. Much more about the bourbons, ryes and Irish whiskeys. Unfortunately in this provincial backwater there's a limited selection of each (I think I've bitched before about Ohio's state-controlled liquor agencies; they can't order anything special for you without putting it through the state bureaucracy, and so generally they won't even try).

I've been reading a little bit about non-chill filtered scotches, like the Glenlivet Nŕdurra, which are supposed to have much more malt flavor in em. That sounds like something I could get behind, but I'd be reluctant to buy a bottle of Glenlivet, honestly. Any recs for good non-chill filtered scotch?

*I see now the Bunnahabhain is no-chill. I think that may be the winner if I can find it.
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2012, 10:22:40 AM by elpollodiablo » Logged

think 'on the road.'
coldforge

« Reply #492 on: Jan 05, 2012, 10:37:06 AM »

The Edradour non-chill filtered was tasty. A little pricier. Among the ones mentioned above, I think Antero's are the more interesting suggestions. I actually was just gifted a bottle of the Talisker 10 and have been happily reacquainting myself with it. I've also been really enjoying the Springbank lately. I've only had the younger version but I'd like to try both. I also recall really enjoying the Glen Garioch, which also falls in that price range, but I had it a little later in the night so my impressions are not as distinct.

For another single malt recommendation I love the Yamazaki 12; it's nicely balanced, with some smoke, but not enough that you can't have a couple over the course of the night—and still more interesting than, say, the Glenlivet.

In general I've been moving away from peatier Isla styles to the more layered styles. In all my booze these days I've been really going for good structure: I like bottles that can present an interesting array of flavors, especially bright ones these days, that don't step on each other's toes. To that end one of the most exciting whiskies I've had recently was the High West Rendezvous Rye—did I talk about this already? 

My latest booze pickups have been beer though; I finally got our brewer friend to swing down to my local beer emporium, mostly because I knew he'd be knocked out by the selection, but also so he could point out some good picks. I'm trying to remember what I ended up getting. I think there was the Jolly Pumpkin Madrugada Obscura—here's a fucking hint: don't name your brewery after a style of beer that I hate if you actually specialize in something completely different that I like quite a bit—plus I got a bottle of this weird traditional Finnish beer that seems to utterly baffle the internet beer rating folk. I got a bottle by my friend's 'favorite brewery in the world', which is this tiny place that sits directly across from Allagash and is entirely operated by two brothers, both of whom have day jobs, and so take all-night shifts just to put out their product.

č l'era del terzo mondo.
davy

« Reply #493 on: Jan 05, 2012, 10:41:08 AM »

Gotta say my tastes have veered away from scotch in the last five years or so. Much more about the bourbons, ryes and Irish whiskeys. Unfortunately in this provincial backwater there's a limited selection of each (I think I've bitched before about Ohio's state-controlled liquor agencies; they can't order anything special for you without putting it through the state bureaucracy, and so generally they won't even try).

I've been reading a little bit about non-chill filtered scotches, like the Glenlivet Nŕdurra, which are supposed to have much more malt flavor in em. That sounds like something I could get behind, but I'd be reluctant to buy a bottle of Glenlivet, honestly. Any recs for good non-chill filtered scotch?

*I see now the Bunnahabhain is no-chill. I think that may be the winner if I can find it.

Have you seen this?

http://www.burnstewartdistillers.com/pdf_files/0000/0008/PRESS_RELEASE_unchillfiltered_.pdf

elpollodiablo

« Reply #494 on: Jan 05, 2012, 10:43:07 AM »

Oh man I just had a couple of Jolly Pumpkin ales last night that were fucking *amazing.* Their seasonal "brown" ale (which probably has some brown malt in it but is more of a golden-brown color) with cocoa and spices is maybe the best I've had from them (aside from a 5 yr old bottle of Oro de Calabaza, which, fuck).
Totally hear you on the name of the brewery, though; it's one that I ignored for a long time because the name sent the wrong message. I really, really love their house style; aging in those barrels with the brett gives it a nose and a finish like no other. Jolly Pumpkin is actually leading me to a greater appreciation of sours.

think 'on the road.'
Antero

« Reply #495 on: Jan 05, 2012, 12:30:01 PM »

For another single malt recommendation I love the Yamazaki 12; it's nicely balanced, with some smoke, but not enough that you can't have a couple over the course of the night—and still more interesting than, say, the Glenlivet.
Yeah, this is a good one.  Japanese whiskys in general are quite enjoyable.

JamesSchneider

« Reply #496 on: Jan 05, 2012, 01:55:59 PM »

Fully agree. I was quite a Scotch fan whilst living in Scotland, but general pricing has eliminated my ability to Perdue that fandom stateside. The local beer culture has been much kinder to me in Grand Rapids.

Couldn't you take the second bus home?
elpollodiablo

« Reply #497 on: Jan 05, 2012, 02:22:35 PM »

Oh man you live in GR James? Maybe I knew that and blanked on it. A brewer friend of mine visits family up there all the time; he talks about Hopcat like it's the Dome of the Rock.

think 'on the road.'
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #498 on: Jan 05, 2012, 02:29:06 PM »

I wanted to check out Hopcat last time I was in Grand Rapids but it was the first stop on a 2 man multi-city Michigan brewery tour so we had to take it kind of easy (though kind of easy did involve a couple of high test offerings at Founders).

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #499 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:19:57 PM »

Damn am I enjoying this Redbreast. Long, peppery finish! Smells like honey.

think 'on the road.'
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Too drunk too make a new thread. New Booze Thread.
Jump to: