Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:26:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658143 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 48 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Can we talk about how Bill Callahan is one of the best song writers alive?  (Read 6133 times)
Chet

« on: Jul 03, 2011, 07:52:09 PM »

Because it doesn't get spoken about enough. He just does his thing, with minimal fuss or hype. Apocalypse is the best record of the year, and he does it so effortlessly. Guy has been knocking out high end shit for like two decades now; his only blight was probably that first record under his given name. Here's to
 Bill.

I kept hoping for one more question
or for someone to say,
"who do you think you are?"
so I could tell them.

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
ellaguru

« Reply #1 on: Jul 03, 2011, 07:59:35 PM »

his only blight was probably that first record under his given name.

And his "blight" isn't even a bad record. It's just, y'know, not as good.

I haven't picked up Apocalypse yet, as I haven't had ready money in a while. But as soon as I do...

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
Chet

« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 2011, 08:04:14 PM »

I haven't picked up Apocalypse yet, as I haven't had ready money in a while. But as soon as I do...
Yeah, there's some really good stuff on there, like Diamond Dancer, it's just an unfocused hodge podge of a record, when usually each one of his albums has a really cohesive sound and feeling.

Yr in for a treat when you finally get hold of Apocalypse, lemme tell you. I found it sort of disappointing at first, it wasn't nearly as immediate as ...I Wish I Were An Eagle but it's a real grower. It seems like a culmination of all the ideas he's been playing around with since A River Ain't Too Much To Love.

Trousers and Pat

« Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 2011, 08:59:23 PM »

those lines chet pulled are the ones that hit me too, but I have to admit I listened to "America!" like ten times before I could really even hear the rest of the album

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
Chet

« Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 2011, 09:02:13 PM »

those lines chet pulled are the ones that hit me too, but I have to admit I listened to "America!" like ten times before I could really even hear the rest of the album
I saw him live a coupla months back and during America! the drummer drummed with his BARE HANDS.

Chet

« Reply #5 on: Jul 03, 2011, 09:08:19 PM »

Talking of which, how awesome is the video for America!?

Nick Ink

« Reply #6 on: Jul 04, 2011, 01:36:57 AM »

Yeah, there's some really good stuff on there, like Diamond Dancer, it's just an unfocused hodge podge of a record, when usually each one of his albums has a really cohesive sound and feeling.

Yr in for a treat when you finally get hold of Apocalypse, lemme tell you. I found it sort of disappointing at first, it wasn't nearly as immediate as ...I Wish I Were An Eagle but it's a real grower. It seems like a culmination of all the ideas he's been playing around with since A River Ain't Too Much To Love.

I couldn't get into it either, and I also loved 'Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle', so you might be persuading me to try a bit harder.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
jebreject

« Reply #7 on: Jul 04, 2011, 06:27:20 AM »

He was so good live the other night.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
reebty

« Reply #8 on: Jul 04, 2011, 09:34:49 AM »

Rough Travel for a Rape Thing is one of my favourite live albums. The drum sound just kicks my ass.

That's a predictive text fuckup above. I thought it was funny enough to leave it that way.
Chet

« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2011, 08:01:37 PM »

Say Valley Maker is the greatest song.

fishjim

« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2011, 12:42:24 AM »

Thanks for this thread, Chet. I've been thinking this for awhile, too. It's a relief to hear others were underwhelmed by Woke Up On A Whaleheart. I still love "Footprints" and "The Wheel", but the rest of the album just goes down wrong.  

I agree that Apocalypse is a grower. "America" is such a fucking great song it's tempting to rate the rest of the tracks on its terms. Once I stopped wanting the rest of the songs to be like "America," they got a lot better. Just one example: on maybe the 5th or 6th listen I realized that the first track, "Drover," is essentially a retelling of the story of Hermes and Apollo from Hesiod's hymn, "To Hermes," in which the first act of the newborn god is to steal the older god's cattle. Apollo gets wind of it, appeals the matter to Zeus. Hermes says - hey, how could I steal your cows? I'm just a baby! Apollo says, wisely: I don't know how you did it. But these are my cattle.

Hermes says, aw shit, OK, I did it. But here's a lyre I made from a tortoise shell. Are we even?

Hermes & Apollo are friends forever after.

IV. To Hermes
http://www.bartleby.com/241/204.html
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2011, 12:54:02 AM by fishjim » Logged

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
Chet

« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2011, 01:54:08 AM »

I thought it was just about being a cowboy.
The whole album has a very spaghetti western feel to it.

fishjim

« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2011, 02:00:25 AM »

Exactly. Hermes is a cowboy, among many other things.

EDIT: I mean this broadly, but it's also literally true: Hermes is the god of herders, of which the cowboy is the American form.
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2011, 02:07:05 AM by fishjim » Logged

alex

« Reply #13 on: Oct 24, 2011, 03:37:00 AM »

Man, each time I've listened to that album, about a half a minute into "America" I was thinking "damn, this sounds like it'd be everyone's favourite song on this record, but it's just so grating. I should really listen to it carefully because it might be the sort of thing that turns from terrible to terrific if you just find the switch for seeing its brilliance". And then, another half a minute further, I would think "yeah, I'll do that next time", and just skip on to the next song.
Nick Ink

« Reply #14 on: Oct 24, 2011, 03:57:55 AM »

I couldn't get into this album at all, not sure why. 'Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle' was in my top 10 of the year, and yet every time I think about listening to the latest one, I don't fancy it. I think it's more about me than Bill at this point.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
edison

« Reply #15 on: Oct 24, 2011, 04:37:02 AM »

Man, and here I was thinking that surely "Drover" had to be everyone's favorite on the record without contest? I have no strong feelings against or for "America!", though - I find it mildly amusing (musically, that is, not lyrically) but it's not close to being either my favorite or my least favorite song on record.
Chet

« Reply #16 on: Oct 24, 2011, 04:44:30 AM »

Riding For a Feeling is the highpoint for me.

alex

« Reply #17 on: Oct 24, 2011, 04:47:46 AM »

"Drover" is indeed my favourite.
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #18 on: Oct 24, 2011, 05:29:21 AM »

I just wasted my whole morning listening to drover, riding for the feeling, and whatever the last song is called over and over again

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
Chet

« Reply #19 on: Oct 24, 2011, 05:41:20 AM »

One Fine Morning.

Bill is the king of the album closer.

Captain

« Reply #20 on: Oct 24, 2011, 09:12:50 AM »

Riding For a Feeling is the highpoint for me.

EDIT - But if I had to pick a single, it would have to be "Drover."  "America" never really stuck with me.  Letterman is pretty good, I guess, sure.  But Bill Callahan is at his best when he's talking about horses.  Take it to the bank.
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2011, 09:14:42 AM by Captain » Logged
fishjim

« Reply #21 on: Oct 24, 2011, 09:44:02 AM »

Man, each time I've listened to that album, about a half a minute into "America" I was thinking "damn, this sounds like it'd be everyone's favourite song on this record, but it's just so grating. I should really listen to it carefully because it might be the sort of thing that turns from terrible to terrific if you just find the switch for seeing its brilliance".

That's exactly what happens at around 2 min! When the guitar solo tears everything apart.

Then again, maybe it's just me hating my country so much.
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2011, 09:46:29 AM by fishjim » Logged

Good Intentions

« Reply #22 on: Oct 24, 2011, 08:17:11 PM »

One Fine Morning.

I thought 'Faith/Void' was far and away the weakest song on Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle.
Antero

« Reply #23 on: Oct 24, 2011, 08:26:56 PM »

One Fine Morning.

I thought 'Faith/Void' was far and away the weakest song on Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle.
I agree on this.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
ellaguru

« Reply #24 on: Oct 24, 2011, 08:44:36 PM »

I don't disagree so much, but I do think "Faith/Void" isn't so much weak as it is too long for it's own good.

On the other hand, at this point "One Fine Morning" is also my favourite song on the new one.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Can we talk about how Bill Callahan is one of the best song writers alive?
Jump to: