Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 02, 2014, 12:30:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657938 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 59 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Word to your Mother Mother: new NP thread  (Read 25599 times)
davy

« on: Jul 06, 2011, 05:27:49 PM »

This is one of my warm blanket albums. Warm, strange & distant. Question

I'm discovering that Tortoise is basically as good as it gets in terms of low-volume office space listening.
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2011, 03:56:14 PM by davy » Logged

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
davy

« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2011, 10:05:52 AM »

I'm discovering that Tortoise is basically as good as it gets in terms of low-volume office space listening.

These guys aren't bad, either:

reebty

« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2011, 10:14:03 AM »

but apparently i'm dealing with some corrupt mp3s, 'cause the last track just became grim augury by sparkehorse featuring vic chessnut.
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2011, 11:40:38 PM by reebty » Logged
mixed cats

« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2011, 11:29:54 AM »

I've been listening to songs in alphabetical order for weeks. Only the stuff on my iPad at work, though. I started at Soul Coughing's "Unmarked Helicopters" (from Songs in the Key of X - I'd recently seen the episode that the song was in) and have wrapped around to the beginning. Today started with Fairport Convention's "Come All Ye."

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
Nick Ink

« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2011, 12:51:51 PM »

Machinefabriek

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
alex

« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2011, 02:01:21 PM »

The carillon concert in the church a few metres from my office, while actually very pleasant musically, is making it really really hard to concentrate on work. And I really do want to work.

Ah, finally figured out why it sounds so familiar! Canto Ostinato by Simeon ten Holt. Nice.
Nick Ink

« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2011, 02:53:08 PM »

Boards Of Canada  Heart

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
RavingLunatic

« Reply #7 on: Jul 08, 2011, 03:03:27 AM »

Boards Of Canada  Heart

Hear, hear!

np: The Middle East - I Want That You Are Always Happy

I think these guys are a good singles band but can't make good albums. They came out with what should've been at the top of everyone's song-of-the-year list in 2009 with the song "Blood.", and there are a couple great songs on their new album, but neither of their albums has been particularly good. They're kind of all over the map stylistically. Infectious, upbeat anthems here and murky, melody-less ballads there. There's even a faux-classical piano piece in the middle of the new album.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #8 on: Jul 08, 2011, 04:20:46 AM »

Picked this up yesterday on the suggestion of a friend. This a great record and probably the best Svenonius project I've heard since the Make-Up.

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
Antero

« Reply #9 on: Jul 09, 2011, 01:41:01 AM »

Two Gallants.

I love this goddamn band.  I love their melodramatic tendencies.  I love their inauthenticity.  I love the way that they confront their inauthenticity in such a way as to become authentic.  What a great motherfucking band.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
davy

« Reply #10 on: Jul 09, 2011, 09:55:59 AM »

Had a bad introduction to those guys. They played with Blitzen Trapper -- coincidentally the band I'm Now Playing! -- and I left after 5 or 6 songs. Just wasn't feeling it at all and the crowd was a bitch.

davy

« Reply #11 on: Jul 09, 2011, 11:01:08 AM »

There are many nice things to say about Blitzen Trapper, but the fact is, their albums are pretty inconsistent. A couple years ago, they were my favorite band for a while, but then the inconsistency got to me and they released a sub-par album (even by their standards) and I just left them alone for a while. But I've been revisiting them this week and I just discovered something: they're super-fun on random! I've got 85 BT tracks all scrambled up right now and it's making for good times at work. Such variety!

peacocks

« Reply #12 on: Jul 10, 2011, 07:35:43 PM »

WITH HIS BAD SELF
ohhhhhhyeahhhhhhhhhh

dick-check your priviledge
Ignatius

« Reply #13 on: Jul 11, 2011, 02:23:57 AM »

Man Friend and Foe might be the ultimate grower. I have been listening to this album for four years and it is still getting better.
Good Intentions

« Reply #14 on: Jul 11, 2011, 05:59:22 AM »

Decapitated - The Negation

For some shameful reason I haven't listened to this for a couple of months. For my money this is the best death metal album of the last ten years.
Nick Ink

« Reply #15 on: Jul 11, 2011, 02:19:03 PM »

Tim Hecker - best album of 2011, hands down.

ellaguru

« Reply #16 on: Jul 11, 2011, 02:23:20 PM »

Oh, I have that, I must get around to putting it on!

Now playing Gang Gang Dance - Eye Contact. Picked up a physical copy last night at their gig. More people should like Gang Gang Dance.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
edison

« Reply #17 on: Jul 11, 2011, 02:27:04 PM »

I bought a copy of the very same album for one euro last week, actually! But I can't tell if I like them yet (that will be my introduction), as I have yet to listen to it.
ellaguru

« Reply #18 on: Jul 11, 2011, 02:35:44 PM »

I want to hear what you think. They've got this electro-tribal dance thing going on that I like. They'll be all experimental for a bit and then lock into some straight-up club groove for a while. I think it would be possible to be irritated by the singing, though. Maybe partly at the voice itself, but mostly that about 95% of the lyrics are totally incomprehensible.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
edison

« Reply #19 on: Jul 11, 2011, 02:42:21 PM »

I'll report back!

np: Johnny Cash "I'm Free From The Chain Gang Now"
RavingLunatic

« Reply #20 on: Jul 11, 2011, 05:27:29 PM »

Man Friend and Foe might be the ultimate grower. I have been listening to this album for four years and it is still getting better.

I couldn't make it through that album even once back when it came out. It was just so different from the first Menomena album, Fun Blame Monster, and went in a stylistic direction I didn't care for. I think what it comes down to is that I'm more of a Brent Knopf fan than a Menomena fan. I listened to Fun Blame Monster recently and realized that his songs are the ones I like best on it. And his solo release under the Ramona Falls moniker, Intuit, is one of my favorite albums from the past five years. Talk about a grower. Every time I listen to Intuit it sounds more amazing. And of course it produced the best music video ever.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
Nick Ink

« Reply #21 on: Jul 12, 2011, 01:58:51 AM »

Missed this. But yeah, I love this album so much. The only song I took a while to get into was The Pelican, which oddly enough seemed to be the track everyone else picked up on first. The more recent album, Mines, has lower lows, I think, but still a good 5 or 6 brilliant songs. I really enjoyed watching the several 'Live at KEXP videos there are on youtube.

Thermofusion

« Reply #22 on: Jul 12, 2011, 04:43:07 PM »

Yeah, Friend and Foe is fucking phenomenal. And repeated listens reveal how thoughtfully it was composed.

Oddly enough, I've been underwhelmed by the rest of their output.

triple paisley minimum
coldforge

« Reply #23 on: Jul 12, 2011, 04:49:36 PM »

Didn't that band used to be a girly indie pop band?

č l'era del terzo mondo.
Thermofusion

« Reply #24 on: Jul 12, 2011, 04:54:56 PM »

They use too much bari sax to be girly

triple paisley minimum
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Word to your Mother Mother: new NP thread
Jump to: