Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 23, 2014, 06:28:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658026 Posts in 9261 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 51 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21
Print
Author Topic: Word to your Mother Mother: new NP thread  (Read 25827 times)
Benmont Tench

« Reply #475 on: Dec 31, 2011, 06:50:31 PM »

You're probably right. I really should listen to it again soon. Small Change, too, since it's easily my most neglected Tom Waits album. I don't think I've listened to it more than twice in all the years I've had it.

Keep your dripping hair away from the digipak!
fishjim

« Reply #476 on: Jan 01, 2012, 04:16:07 AM »

I will listen to Small Change with you, though it will be painful. My little group of stoners in high school could all rap both sides by heart by the end of junior year. I look back at it as an identity script we collectively memorized in error.

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
fishjim

« Reply #477 on: Jan 01, 2012, 04:26:29 AM »

No time like the present. It's 1:21 PST in 2012 and I'm drunk & weepy so it's back to masturbation and bad livers and whiskey schmaltz for me.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2012, 04:39:25 AM by fishjim » Logged

fishjim

« Reply #478 on: Jan 01, 2012, 05:07:53 AM »

Ahem. Small Change is a fine, fine album. "Bad Liver and a Broken Heart" is especially fine. Hic.

EDIT: the number of lines I've crooned to the mirror on this album is mortifying.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2012, 05:22:38 AM by fishjim » Logged

ellaguru

« Reply #479 on: Jan 01, 2012, 11:01:27 AM »

On this note, my mom got me this book for Christmas:

Lyrics to all the albums up to Heartattack and Vine.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
Nick Ink

« Reply #480 on: Jan 05, 2012, 02:39:51 PM »

Marcus Fischer's Monocoastal from 2010. This was put out by Taylor deupree's fantastic 12K, and has that label's trademark attention to detail, blending field recordings, unusual instruments and warm atmospheres.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #481 on: Jan 07, 2012, 03:49:29 AM »

I've been listening to a lot of Throbbing Gristle this week. So I was looking for interviews and came across this piece on Cosey Tutti Fruity from a series on musicians and art from The Tate.

http://channel.tate.org.uk/channel#media:/media/63818905001&context:/channel/search?searchQuery=Cosey

I then saw they had one on Billy Childish also:
http://channel.tate.org.uk/channel#media:/media/68322240001&context:/channel/search?searchQuery=childish

Which started what will no doubt be a Childish binge for the next couple of hours. Starting with:

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
Nick Ink

« Reply #482 on: Jan 07, 2012, 04:01:04 AM »

My weekend has started with the unearthly awesomeness which is Skip James:

I feel another pre-war blues phase coming on.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #483 on: Jan 07, 2012, 05:39:20 AM »

For whatever reason I've never bothered with Amon Düül II . I think I've actually avoided giving them a listen even. Maybe the whole hippy image put me off. But I decided to take a punt and got this yesterday. What a great fucking record!

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
Dick

« Reply #484 on: Jan 07, 2012, 11:30:42 AM »

I'm excited for you Killdozer, you've got a lot of good stuff ahead of you.

We believe in hydration.
Nick Ink

« Reply #485 on: Jan 08, 2012, 07:12:17 AM »

Demdike Stare - Elemental Parts 1 & 2

A brilliant new set of tracks from the slithering mass of pitch-black ominous excellence which is Demdike Stare

Nick Ink

« Reply #486 on: Jan 08, 2012, 02:51:34 PM »

Woah, this is spooky. I was listening to an album called 'Echo Park' by a new ambient project called Willamette, who I'd never heard of until today. At the same time, I was reading a short (and slightly obnoxious) interview with them over at Fluid Radio. Anyway, as it finished, I cued up a track by Marcus Fischer which was floating around on my HD and labelled 'New Marcus Fischer'. I've been listening to his collaboration with Taylor Deupree and his excellent Monocoastal album a lot this past week and was keen to hear anything else by him, even though discogs doesn't show any other releases. It turned out, the file I had was his contribution to a compilation album called 'Rivers Home', and the track was named 'Willamette River'. So, having never heard of Willamette in 43 years on the planet, it comes up twice in a minute on my music player. Are you all going to tell me how famous Willamette is now?
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2012, 03:10:49 PM by Nick Ink » Logged

Good Intentions

« Reply #487 on: Jan 10, 2012, 04:30:24 PM »

Immortal - At the Heart of Winter

It's the middle of the summer here, but who gives a fuck.
Good Intentions

« Reply #488 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:29:54 PM »

Immortal - Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism

Hey, you guys might have heard about this Immortal band. They're quite cool, hey. They have an enthusiastic energy for what they're doing, don't you think?
Babar

« Reply #489 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:59:32 PM »

Yeah man, it's a great band. My favorite Immortal song is "In My Kingdom Cold".

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
davy

« Reply #490 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:06:40 PM »

What song could be better than Tyrants?

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Babar

« Reply #491 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:14:36 PM »

Well, the whole album is great. The album is Sons of Northern Darkness.

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
Good Intentions

« Reply #492 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:22:38 PM »

In honour of your good taste, Babar and davy:

Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness
howardfinkel

« Reply #493 on: Jan 11, 2012, 12:03:13 AM »

Read an article about there being a new Bahamas album so I went to their website to find some really wonderful videos with his 2 female backup singers:
Hockey Teeth
Whole Wide World cover
Tenth Ave Freezeout (in a barber shop)

Nice to hear that the drummer from the Weakerthans plays on his new album.

Maaik

« Reply #494 on: Jan 12, 2012, 06:49:23 AM »

In the decade plus since it came out, I somehow forgot how headbangingly, jumping around the living room-ily fan-fucking-tastic Relationship of Command is front to back. I mean, I'd still occasionally hear "One Armed Scissor" and that's a great song. But man, "Cosmonaut" ...I just really hope they tour near here. Never got to see 'em first time around.

I need anne the man lessons
peacocks

« Reply #495 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:26:36 AM »

I listened to The Pretenders back on the chain gang 3 times this morning. Mariah Carey you will always be my baby only 1 time. And I listen to Azaelia Banks 212 about once a day. It's like a vitamin I take to feel awesome.

dick-check your priviledge
auto-da-fey

« Reply #496 on: Jan 12, 2012, 10:42:30 AM »

In the decade plus since it came out, I somehow forgot how headbangingly, jumping around the living room-ily fan-fucking-tastic Relationship of Command is front to back. I mean, I'd still occasionally hear "One Armed Scissor" and that's a great song. But man, "Cosmonaut" ...I just really hope they tour near here. Never got to see 'em first time around.

YES to all of that. I did see them, and man, it rocked my world. I was playing in a punk band at the time, and really anti-performance; my idea of how to play was basically stand still, glower, and occasionally flip off the "crowd" when someone threw things at us. But ATDI had so goddamn much energy, it was just such a visceral charge, that I began leaping around wildly ever after, thus missing even more notes than I already did (I played bass, and went from poor to awful).

In fact, when mice recently invaded my decomposing apartment, the worst part was when they ate through my ATDI shirt and left it covered in holes and shit . . . though that kinda sounds like one of their lyrics, so I guess it's okay.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #497 on: Jan 12, 2012, 10:43:49 AM »

(if I'm really honest, the other band that inspired similar jumping-around-while-playing concurrent with ATDI was Anti-Flag, but that sounds way less cool to point out today)
Almanzo

« Reply #498 on: Jan 12, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »

For whatever reason I've never bothered with Amon Düül II . I think I've actually avoided giving them a listen even. Maybe the whole hippy image put me off. But I decided to take a punt and got this yesterday. What a great fucking record!

Yeah!

In my experience, it's Amon Duul I that's not worth the time. And the less said about Amon Duul Jr., the better.

Sodomize Intolerance
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #499 on: Jan 12, 2012, 03:05:32 PM »

on another board, they polled at the drive-in vs. refused, which, the former is clearly more important to me, but also: three interesting and distinct lps, a few awesome eps, great discography, really, whereas refused sort of only arrive and depart with shape of punk to come

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Word to your Mother Mother: new NP thread
Jump to: