Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:40:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658238 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 35 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: A Dance With Dragons (contains spoilers)  (Read 4848 times)
elpollodiablo

« Reply #25 on: Jul 12, 2011, 11:19:12 AM »

Is Feast really that bad? Or is its reputation mainly just the product of a bunch of fanboy grousing because the main plotlines weren't advanced all that much?

think 'on the road.'
milly balgeary

« Reply #26 on: Jul 12, 2011, 11:26:02 AM »

Well, suit yourselves! It's good is all that matters in the end! That, and the sweet honey of this tale!

davy

« Reply #27 on: Jul 12, 2011, 11:38:31 AM »

Is Feast really that bad? Or is its reputation mainly just the product of a bunch of fanboy grousing because the main plotlines weren't advanced all that much?

Oh, it's not bad. But I think it's the least fulfilling of the first four, largely because it's low on Tyrion, Jon, & Dany.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #28 on: Jul 12, 2011, 12:22:59 PM »

Yeah, I quite liked it, actually.  It's true that it doesn't advance the plot much, though, except in King's Landing, and in doing the necessary work of introducing a bunch of new characters and plotlines on the Iron Islands and in Dorne.  

It's not bad, but it definitely feels like half a novel.  You'd hear a lot less grousing, I'd suspect, had Martin not taken so long in following it up.  There's a lot of setup in Feast and no big payoffs like in the previous novels.  Every plotline, save one, is left with a cliffhanger.
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2011, 12:26:42 PM by dieblucasdie » Logged

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #29 on: Jul 12, 2011, 12:33:13 PM »

Also, re: The King's Landing stuff in Feast:

I know a lot of people dislike the Cersei chapters, but I think that's largely due to the mistaken impression that Martin was trying to make her much more sympathetic, Jaime-style, whereas I saw it as a simple window into her spiraling paranoia and craziness.  You're not meant to feel sorry for her, exactly, just kind of cringe at the sight of what she's doing to herself.  Her actions in Feast would seem out-of-left-field and contrived were we not given her perspective; as it is they make total sense.  I really enjoyed watching that go down, even though it's a detour with marginal utility re: advancing the story.
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2011, 12:35:25 PM by dieblucasdie » Logged

milly balgeary

« Reply #30 on: Jul 12, 2011, 12:38:37 PM »

It's a damn great novel, really. The maid of tarth and Jaime are fantastic. It's very bleak, reading a but like the most wondrous horror novel containing knights EVER. As a youngster I happened upon some c-list paperbacks at my small town library purporting to be about the age of king arthur, and they were very dark and strange, twisted, and were mostly about grey days and skulls and swords and a strange kind of almost 100 days of solitude magic realism that could possibly be bad writing but to my eyes seemed very good. No idea what those books were, and like many mysteries, they will never be solved, and are likely sold by strange-eyed men named Smith and Will from the backs of old Chevrolets. This book is those books, for an adult. The worst of the books is clash of kings. It is a meandering uninteresting slog where nothing really happens except some great clegane stuff, and war stuff. I am of course fondest of stuff like the dreadfort and all that. When Martin really let's his horror roots come out, and bloodless hands reach from the grave. I'd say feast is 2nd to swords with got being #3. I'm in a minority.

milly balgeary

« Reply #31 on: Jul 12, 2011, 12:49:30 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that Harry potter shows up in a shared universe sorta thing? What Were They Thinking. No reviews mentioned it.

davy

« Reply #32 on: Jul 12, 2011, 01:47:37 PM »

Got mine!

Woo-boy it's a hefty thing!

milly balgeary

« Reply #33 on: Jul 13, 2011, 10:40:20 PM »

I don't know about you guys, but I didn't see the product placement ads coming. No way, I said! Then on page 4 something Roose Bolton's bastard is selling some skin ointment called Sassy.

milly balgeary

« Reply #34 on: Jul 13, 2011, 10:41:37 PM »

By the way do you guys know if it's legal to put your dick in a book? I'm not saying I did it or I didn't do it, I'm just wondering about the legality of it.

dieblucasdie

« Reply #35 on: Jul 14, 2011, 10:12:40 AM »

I've only had time to read the first few chapters, but I'm already kind of annoyed by the chronology.  "Wait, I thought Samwell was in Oldtown now?  Oh, right."  Someone should definitely make a fan version that combines ADWD and FFC and puts all the chapters in the right order.

It's also kind of weird that he's doing the Harry Potter-ey "In case you forgot, here's the major plot points from the end of SOS" thing.

davy

« Reply #36 on: Jul 14, 2011, 11:14:24 AM »

I haven't started it yet!  Shocked

milly balgeary

« Reply #37 on: Jul 14, 2011, 11:14:17 PM »

Since it took 6 years to write it, I was ready to read it, and so I read it. I took some concentrated time, and plowed through it like a trooper. I give it a solid tie with the 3rd book. It may be the best, but I don't know. After a while, I'll hit up the audio book at work, and really drag it out, while I'm on the treadmill N shit.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #38 on: Jul 18, 2011, 06:28:01 PM »

I was talking with a friend who's reading the new one and we both came to the conclusion that Roose Bolton might be the scariest mfer in the series.

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #39 on: Jul 19, 2011, 01:01:43 PM »

Come on, dawg, he's not even the scariest Bolton

elpollodiablo

« Reply #40 on: Jul 19, 2011, 01:15:20 PM »

Disagree! I think he's way scarier than the bastard.

think 'on the road.'
milly balgeary

« Reply #41 on: Jul 19, 2011, 01:39:54 PM »

This is clearly a case in which this fine gent has not read dance.

dieblucasdie

« Reply #42 on: Jul 19, 2011, 10:21:12 PM »

Yeah, I mean, without spoiling anything, Roose is cold, calculating, brutal, and unfeeling (that's why Robb sent him to Green Fork instead of the Greatjon!), but Ramsay is a straight-up serial killer.  The Ramsay/Theon stuff in ADWD is so, so fucked-up.  Those chapters are almost hard to read.

Also, they done cast Stannis, Melisandre, and Davos.  They all look pretty freakin' spot-on.

http://winter-is-coming.net/

« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2011, 10:24:37 PM by dieblucasdie » Logged

elpollodiablo

« Reply #43 on: Jul 19, 2011, 10:32:34 PM »

I am still frankly amazed by your ability to remember the names and details of all of these individual battles.

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #44 on: Jul 19, 2011, 10:34:51 PM »

Oh, that's because I just re-listened to all the audiobooks AND watched the TV show.  Your second time through, you notice more of the little stuff.  It'll all be gone from my brain in like a month.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #45 on: Jul 19, 2011, 10:38:39 PM »

So were you similarly put out by the fact that Roy Dotrice didn't read Feast? I'd really gotten used to him at that point! I don't much like the new guy. Not enough gravitas. But evidently Dotrice does Dance.

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #46 on: Jul 19, 2011, 10:42:13 PM »

ha, yeah.  I actually kind of hated him at the beginning, but by that point it was certainly jarring to switch.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #47 on: Jul 19, 2011, 10:43:28 PM »

Yeah I definitely did not have much love for the guy at first either. His Hodor made me wanna punch a wall. But he grew on me over time. I really liked his Vargo Hoat.

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #48 on: Jul 29, 2011, 04:49:24 PM »

So speaking of Dotrice, almost all of his character voices in DwD are different. It's pretty disorienting after being so consistent through the first three books.

think 'on the road.'
davy

« Reply #49 on: Jul 29, 2011, 05:06:57 PM »

Dotrice is great. Yoren was my favorite.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: A Dance With Dragons (contains spoilers)
Jump to: