Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 25, 2014, 01:28:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658135 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 53 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Things to do alone.  (Read 2653 times)
G.C.R

« Reply #50 on: Jul 15, 2011, 09:59:32 PM »

I am really, really keen to see Tree of Life. I loved loved loved all Malick's films, except for The New World, which I hated with a firey passion. There's no inbetween for me.
See some theatres had to warn the great unwashed that the film's, like, highbrow an shit

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Bernard

« Reply #51 on: Jul 15, 2011, 10:19:22 PM »

It's most similar to Thin Red Line, in my opinion. It's definitely a move away from his earlier work.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2011, 10:27:42 PM by Bernard » Logged

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
davy

« Reply #52 on: Jul 15, 2011, 10:40:53 PM »

Heart the disclaimer.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
davy

« Reply #53 on: Jul 15, 2011, 10:42:16 PM »

I didn't like The New World, but I do generally like slow-moving, artfully filmed character dramas. And I like watching Brad Pitt do his thing. So I'm still kind of interested.

Bernard

« Reply #54 on: Jul 16, 2011, 12:09:11 AM »

It's not a character drama. Have you seen Babel? You might like that.

davy

« Reply #55 on: Jul 16, 2011, 12:27:48 AM »

Yeah, I liked that one.

Chet

« Reply #56 on: Jul 16, 2011, 02:56:13 AM »

I liked Babel a lot and hated this.

Listen, if you like beautifully filmed slow motion shots of landscapes that go on for like 15 minutes at a time, with willfully obtuse voiceovers from characters talking directly to God, and hamfisted visual representations of the begginings of earth, time and space with "epic" opera music playing at ear splitting levels, then by all means, go see the film.

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
Nick Ink

« Reply #57 on: Jul 16, 2011, 03:07:17 AM »

Skimmed this page, read this as 'Have you seen 'Babe'?' and thought Bernard was giving davy an almighty slapdown.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Nick Ink

« Reply #58 on: Jul 16, 2011, 03:08:10 AM »

Listen, if you like beautifully filmed slow motion shots of landscapes that go on for like 15 minutes at a time, with willfully obtuse voiceovers from characters talking directly to God, and hamfisted visual representations of the begginings of earth, time and space with "epic" opera music playing at ear splitting levels, then by all means, go see the film.

Okay! Definitely steering clear then.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
davy

« Reply #59 on: Jul 16, 2011, 10:05:44 AM »

Skimmed this page, read this as 'Have you seen 'Babe'?' and thought Bernard was giving davy an almighty slapdown.

So did I!

G.C.R

« Reply #60 on: Jul 16, 2011, 10:09:55 AM »

I have seen Babe and if Tree of Life is anything like that then I'd like to see it.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Ignatius

« Reply #61 on: Jul 16, 2011, 11:57:09 AM »

After the space, though, it's 1:45 of a family in Texas.
Bernard

« Reply #62 on: Jul 16, 2011, 01:36:06 PM »

That was my point.

And no, Nick, I'm not interested in slapping anybody down.

I don't think it makes enormous sense to criticize The Hangover for not being sufficiently abstract or poetic and likewise, I have so far found that most of the criticisms of Tree of Life come down to just not liking the movie, or the whole category of movies. And that is not especially useful unless you know that you and this other person almost always like and dislike the same exact things. I suppose it bothers me more with Tree of Life because as always when it comes to Malick (or Breillat, or the Dardennes, etc. etc.), people seem to feel they're heroically pointing out that the emperor has no clothes or something, and it's just so boring to have hear that kind of empty posturing literally every time the man makes a film.

And it's extra annoying because it's not like any of these people are perfect gods of cinema whose work is flawless, such that there's nothing at all to discuss.

But if Davy says he likes movies with qualities x, y, and z, I'm happy to suggest films I think will fit that bill (and I'm a big fan of Innaritu, so it's not like I'm saying "go watch this piece of crap that will doubtless be up your crap alley").
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2011, 02:07:56 PM by Bernard » Logged

G.C.R

« Reply #63 on: Jul 17, 2011, 01:08:01 AM »

Bernard, I  Heart you, for serious.

milly balgeary

« Reply #64 on: Jul 17, 2011, 01:19:58 AM »

I don't "get" why Malick is viewed with such enthusiasm, and theatre's are all too- willing to -- what -- post notices about the legitimacy of his stuff. I like a Thin Red Line, I hate The New World. I am not a malick-hating-monster -- but it's kind of weird. How did this guy get OG status? I mean, his work is visually stunning -- yes, but just because he put dinosaurs in his latest film, doesn't make his work favorably compare to 2001 *because kubrick stuck some apes in there*. Annoying shit. I am still gonna go see it, and wear a dark raincoat, and masturbate feverishly

Ignatius

« Reply #65 on: Jul 17, 2011, 01:20:47 AM »

The second most favorite comment from people wantin' their money back is 'the emperor has no clothes' and I'm all like "terence malick is the emperor? Since fucking when"
milly balgeary

« Reply #66 on: Jul 17, 2011, 01:29:12 AM »

hahahhaahahaha

cold before sunrise

« Reply #67 on: Jul 17, 2011, 03:20:53 AM »

As soon as I read about the scene where one dinosaur stepped on the other dinosaurs neck and then walked away it made me think "refund please!" What the fuck is that? Attempted drama? I'm gonna take a pass on superficial attempts at emotional triggers and write the director hate mail without ever seeing his movie.

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
Little Sixes Little Nines

« Reply #68 on: Jul 17, 2011, 03:55:16 AM »

wow, yep, that's something you'd do.

i just sighed (my shitty tumblr)
cold before sunrise

« Reply #69 on: Jul 17, 2011, 04:11:11 AM »

I was all by myself, no one was looking, I was thinking of you.

Things to do alone: volunteer with wild animal rehabilitation (feeding predatory birds live mice and bottle feeding baby squirrels are both pretty sweet. Once we had a sea turtle!), draw cartoons of things you hate being tortured (boy bands and rollerbladers?), collect flowers to press in books and later document or frame or, if they're edible, candy and top cupcakes with; go to Paris and spend an afternoon in the Louvre admiring paintings of angels and that gorgeous one of the virgin being drowned, swim laps and steam out your sins, lay in the grass watching the clouds and seeing if you can make them move with your mind, take a notebook to the park for the sake of writing random ditties and doodling patterns and making up background stories about the strangers who walk by, bake cookies for somebody cute, ladle soup to vagrants and imagine them as adventurers instead of hopeless bums - if hopping trains wasn't illegal it'd have made a great pitch for reality TV, audition to be the spokesman for a commercial (even if you're ugly! Campaign against syph or something), meditate, take a long walk, light a candle and make a wish in church, build a tree-fort to use as a retreat (not kidding, it's kind of a thing), spend an afternoon browsing records...

EDIT: Forget all that and get hammered instead.
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2011, 12:47:37 PM by cold before sunrise » Logged

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
Nick Ink

« Reply #70 on: Jul 17, 2011, 05:16:08 AM »

collect flowers to press in books and later document or frame

There you go, Chet. Sorted.

clare

« Reply #71 on: Jul 17, 2011, 07:30:49 AM »

actually cbs's first suggestion about volunteering at a wildlife rescue sanctuary was pretty good, or any kind of animal rescue shelter - the dogs at a shelter always need walking....

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
Nick Ink

« Reply #72 on: Jul 17, 2011, 07:46:36 AM »

actually cbs's first suggestion about volunteering at a wildlife rescue sanctuary was pretty good, or any kind of animal rescue shelter - the dogs at a shelter always need walking....

I tried to do that with Ellie a couple of weeks ago (I used to do it when I was a teenager), but they wouldn't let children go out with the dogs, even with an adult. So that was the end of that.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #73 on: Jul 17, 2011, 08:56:50 AM »

As far as I can discern, the only Malick movie really worth watching is Badlands.

think 'on the road.'
jebreject

« Reply #74 on: Jul 17, 2011, 09:43:45 AM »

There's a nice roundup of links here: http://filmstudiesforfree.blogspot.com/2011/07/tree-of-links-terrence-malick-studies.html to more academic stuff. I'll email you with the personal stuff.

B, I would appreciate that. Thank you.

(oops, didn't notice there was a whole new page here)

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Things to do alone.
Jump to: