Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 01, 2014, 09:51:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657934 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 75 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]
Print
Author Topic: Jandek Catch-All  (Read 24899 times)
Danen

« Reply #200 on: Jul 01, 2010, 07:47:39 AM »

And a four-date tour of Northern Ireland last summer, ffs.

Oh yeah, how could I forget that one? Same band he did a tour of Australia with. There's some YouTube clips from some of those shows and they're crazy - LOADS of noise and he usually repeated one phrase over and over throughout each song and each song lasted about an hour. Very "White Light/White Heat"-ish but in an even more rudimentary way. For those that know the catalog, it's like playing "the Electric End" for an hour with a few nonsense words here and there. Thanks for reminding me about that little jag!
narlus

« Reply #201 on: Jul 01, 2010, 12:39:36 PM »

Those who've gone over to Seth Tisue's lovingly sculpted Jandek site might've noticed that Seth's been largely AWOL since Xmas, but those of us on the Jandek list continue to talk about this stuff.

i see Seth from time to time; is he behind in updating the site? or just not talking about Jandek?

Danen

« Reply #202 on: Jul 01, 2010, 02:18:34 PM »

i see Seth from time to time; is he behind in updating the site? or just not talking about Jandek?
If you see him, please say hi from me! I don't know what's up with Seth (it's not like he gets paid for doing the site, you know) but there hasn't been an update since last December. I don't think anyone blames him - he sorta became the voice of Jandek without ever applying for the job. Still, it means many shows and albums have come out without being posted, so I'll try and at least keep things up here so people not on the list can know what's up, especially with the catalog being as strong as it's been lately.
JamesSchneider

« Reply #203 on: Jul 11, 2010, 02:20:00 AM »

I am 9 hours into a Jandek immersion process. I realized I hadn't listened in quite some time, maybe even since I saw him (the Glasgow Monday performance). I am listening to the 18 albums I have on a loop for 48 hours, while I'm awake, while I sleep, in the earbuds, on the stereo. I'm really curious to see how this turns out. It ends on the morning of my birthday, and then I throw a big hyperdub party in my tiny studio afterward. I'm a little scared.

Results so far (drawn in an espresso and Modern Dances and Paul Pope frenzy from memory).

« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2010, 12:33:59 AM by JamesSchneider » Logged

Couldn't you take the second bus home?
JamesSchneider

« Reply #204 on: Jul 12, 2010, 12:33:09 AM »

In reply to my comment that made no-one care, I am still involved with this idiocy. I woke up to the 32 of February (imagine having that happen to you) after 3 hrs sleep. I should comment that all of this is sober. Graven Image is on now.

Danen

« Reply #205 on: Jul 12, 2010, 01:08:43 AM »

In reply to my comment that made no-one care, I am still involved with this idiocy. I woke up to the 32 of February (imagine having that happen to you) after 3 hrs sleep. I should comment that all of this is sober. Graven Image is on now.

So what I have to know at this point is if you're listening to EVERYTHING in ORDER (I've done that one - you lose your mind around the 80th time he says "I'm Ready for the House" on Put My Dream on This Planet

Or if you're just randomly listening to stuff - that part doesn't matter because if you're listening to everything and infatuated with it to points beyond insomnia you'll have to hear it all, you will, even the albums you don't like as much.

And the funny thing is that those albums, the ones you don't like as much, open up at times like this. This is what got me into A Kingdom He Likes about a month ago. Just grabbing random stuff and having to hear it and then I said "why not, let's hear this one" and I liked it. A lot. Bizarre but true coincidence: I'm having a student of mine who is an amazing artist work on art for my Jandek book (which, honest to God, is almost finished after five DAMN YEARS) and he wanted to know what Jandek picture he should paint and I told him I couldn't tell him that, that he had to look at the art available to us (Corwood has kindly allowed full access to lyrics and covers and such along with his blessings and active criticism of the book) and decide what "hit him." And he hated me for this for a spell but then he did this awesome print of a cover that - if I can get ahold of a scan - I just might post here so you can see it. It's amazing, it looks like Van Gogh. Oh, and which cover does he feel compelled to paint on the SAME DAY that I'm discovering the album? A Kingdom He Likes. An album so obscure and inconsequential to the GREATER catalog that most Jandek fans don't even know it exists. Go figure. Does it mean anything? No, but in the small space world of Jandek every damn detail, every minute utterance begins to mean something after awhile, and once you get that you understand why it can take a person five years to write a novel about it...
JamesSchneider

« Reply #206 on: Jul 12, 2010, 01:13:30 AM »

I decided to go alphabetical, as the iTunes plays. I have thrown away my preferences for Modern Dances (my first) or Glasgow Monday (I was there), instead taking in all of what I have. I had never really cottoned to The Humility of Pain, but right now I'm in love.

Funny that you never liked A Kingdom of His Own, as it has always been one of my favorites.

Danen

« Reply #207 on: Jul 12, 2010, 01:33:46 AM »

that you never liked A Kingdom of His Own, as it has always been one of my favorites.

Funny, I've always loved Humility of Pain. So like Jandek listeners...

Honestly, I think it's because there's SO MUCH STUFF that some of it gets lost. That's how Kingdom was with me - it's not that I didn't like it as that it didn't blow my ears off like several albums around it and by the time I got it I was more, "oh, another album in this style." Years went by and I'd periodically listen to it whenever I did a catalog listen but outside of that it seemed of a piece with The End of It All and other similar albums. Now? I don't think the albums around it can touch it. That thing is lunacy, beautiful lunacy. Sorta like Humility of Pain which I'VE always loved!

btw - I'm in a state of envy that you were at the Glasgow Monday show. Man. That thing blows my mind.
JamesSchneider

« Reply #208 on: Jul 12, 2010, 01:37:32 AM »

My report on that show was posted here somewhere and reblogged all over the place, as it was the first time he was actually billed, and I was one of the only ones writing on it. You can't find it on the recording, but at the end of the performance, I touched his leg, as he was leaving the stage, and crying I said "Thank you." He did not meet my gaze. I will try to dig it up for you.

JamesSchneider

« Reply #209 on: Jul 12, 2010, 01:57:03 AM »

Digging unsuccessful (was digging through too many drunken posts by myself to stand anymore). I Threw You Away is playing me The World Stops right now, and I feel both ready to submit utterly and ready to run.

Danen

« Reply #210 on: Jul 12, 2010, 02:02:40 AM »

Digging unsuccessful (was digging through too many drunken posts by myself to stand anymore). I Threw You Away is playing me The World Stops right now, and I feel both ready to submit utterly and ready to run.

This report sounds familiar. I know you and Ross and a few others who went and I recall reading what went down on the list when posted. Anyway, neat story. Now let your blues turn black...
ellaguru

« Reply #211 on: Nov 20, 2010, 07:18:58 PM »

Hey, Danen:

I'd been planning to do my big Jandek CD mega-splurge when the Toronto show was released, which it now has. It looks like all the other live releases are available as CD or DVD, but Toronto Sunday is CD only. Do you know if that's coming out on DVD too, or if there's a thing because of the Duality of Self DVD, which isn't available from Corwood? Also, is the sound quality better on the DVDs, or am I better advised to get the CD versions?

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #212 on: Nov 21, 2010, 10:01:16 AM »

The whole world is cold and wet, and I was listening to "Somebody in the Snow" but only one side of my headphones works so all I heard was guitar.

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
Danen

« Reply #213 on: Nov 21, 2010, 01:18:32 PM »

Hey, Danen:

I'd been planning to do my big Jandek CD mega-splurge when the Toronto show was released, which it now has. It looks like all the other live releases are available as CD or DVD, but Toronto Sunday is CD only. Do you know if that's coming out on DVD too, or if there's a thing because of the Duality of Self DVD, which isn't available from Corwood? Also, is the sound quality better on the DVDs, or am I better advised to get the CD versions?

The thing I like about the DVDs of the 2 CD sets is that I can listen to them as a single show, even if I don't want to watch them (on the other hand, my van has a DVD player, so that helps for driving). Honestly, this is most effective on the Brooklyn show, which is 4 CDs but only 2 DVDs. As for Toronto, its release on DVD is pending (CDs always come out first) and will come sometime after Cambersands (a GREAT show, that one, Toronto too, of course, but you know that already as you and I were both there). I LOVE the Toronto release so I'd grab it up if I were you and then get the DVD as well. Earlier releases I'd get on DVD for the benefit of being able to watch OR listen, save perhaps for London. I kinda dig the shaky cam show, but it's the only DVD release where the quality looks amateurish. No worse than Jeff Mangum's "Live at Jittery Joes" if you've seen that, but all the rest look fantastic.

Hope that helps!
ellaguru

« Reply #214 on: Nov 21, 2010, 04:01:26 PM »

Yes it does, thanks. Now I just have to try to remember what my order was going to look like. I probably posted a list upthread somewheres.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
ellaguru

« Reply #215 on: Nov 21, 2010, 06:46:40 PM »

Looks like I didn't. How does this look for a list? mostly gleaned from recommendations here or elsewhere. Note that I have conveniently left four spots left open for executive recommendations if anyone has a favourite or four that I should add:

1.   Ready for the House
2.   Six and Six
3.   Chair Beside a Window
4.   Blue Corpse
5.   Telegraph Melts
6.   You Walk Alone
7.   Modern Dances
8.   Lost Cause
9.   Khartoum
10.   Toronto Sunday CD
11.   London Tuesday CD
12.   Austin Sunday DVD
13.   Glasgow Monday DVD
14.   Glasgow Friday DVD
15.   Brooklyn Wednesday DVD
16.   Manhattan Tuesday DVD

Danen

« Reply #216 on: Nov 21, 2010, 08:34:55 PM »

The biggest miss on there is "The Living End" , that's a must. Also, I would grab "Glad to Get Away", "White Box Requiem", "Glasgow Sunday" DVD and "Newcastle Sunday" DVD. That would be a pretty perfect 20 representing a bit of the best of everything. You'll figure out where to go next!
ellaguru

« Reply #217 on: Nov 21, 2010, 09:50:38 PM »

Excellent! Thanks, man.

Trousers and Pat

« Reply #218 on: Jan 04, 2012, 03:06:38 PM »

I just misread this jandek song title as "if your furniture fails you"
np your turn to fall

auto-da-fey

« Reply #219 on: Jan 04, 2012, 03:20:11 PM »

I had actually flirted with making "listen to more Jandek" my new-year's vow. then I subbed in something else, which I've already completely forgotten. my mental furniture failed me.
mountmccabe

« Reply #220 on: Mar 07, 2012, 04:11:54 PM »

Two shows announced in Brooklyn at Vaudeville Park for Friday, March 23 and Monday, March 26.

Accompanying Jandek March 23rd, will be  Rachelle Lalonde, vocals, Ian M Colletti, classical guitar, harps, violin, vocals and Valerie Kuehne, cello and vocals.

March 23rd's performance will be taped live for an upcoming Episode of ESP TV.

There will also be a 2nd Performance of Jandek at Vaudeville Park, Monday March 26,  with Rachelle Lalonde, vocals, Alan Lewandoski, guitar and Ian M Colletti on various instrumentation.

You know a pancake?
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #221 on: Mar 29, 2012, 06:41:20 AM »

did any of you yorkahz make it??

Looks like he has a nice beard going these days. photos

mountmccabe

« Reply #222 on: Mar 29, 2012, 07:47:17 AM »

Brad and I both went to the Monday show. Here was what I posted elsewhere:

How would you expect Jandek to play marimba? If you answered "like an 11-year old that taught himself and mostly just likes hitting things" you would be right! Or at least eerily close. He played very percussively, generally not letting the bars resonate.

It took a little while for me to get used to this style - and that Jandek was playing marimba only -before I really started enjoying it but enjoy it I did. It wasn't Jandek singing or playing guitar (the guitarist used a Brooklyn Pilsner bottle as a slide on several songs and played largely percussively on all of them) but they were clearly his compositions and clearly his wandering, strange lyrics.

They played ten songs; after the 8th - a highlight - Jandek and the fantastic fretless bass player switched instruments. Jandek played a sort of slide bass guitar, getting some incredibly strange sounds out of the instrument.

The vocals were mostly talk-sung; you could see her reading ahead on the handwritten lyric sheet, trying to prepare the delivery of the next line. The other guy switched between theramin and harmonium.

It was all fascinating and strange and I can't think of anything I've seen like it. It was great, letting the songs build in their own way, with their own structures.

You know a pancake?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Jandek Catch-All
Jump to: