Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 30, 2014, 06:25:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658063 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 50 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Aromatherapy raviolis: the new FOOD thread  (Read 17441 times)
G.C.R

« Reply #100 on: Aug 17, 2011, 01:00:44 AM »

make it into dumplings.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Ignatius

« Reply #101 on: Aug 17, 2011, 01:25:28 AM »

What brand and style was the kimchi jar?
Antero

« Reply #102 on: Aug 17, 2011, 01:36:29 AM »

"5000 Year Foods, Chicago IL"  32 oz.  But it also says "1 lb, 14 oz" so I have my doubts about their maths.

Anyhow, I am all the fuck full of eel and kimchi.  Swag.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
Ignatius

« Reply #103 on: Aug 17, 2011, 01:51:59 AM »

I ask because I have a friend whose favorite snack and/or possibly food is this one particular brand of jarred kimchi. Thought I'd see what you said and plug it into google image search and see if y'all were companion enthusiasts but I was wrong to attempt it. There is enough primo kimchi in jars that my mind can't pull a simple recognize-label/do-not-recognize-label type comparison.

Which is probably an indication that it is time to get back into this kimchi game. My friend's mom used to make kimchi and kimbap in high school and he'd bring some to the cafeteria for our table now and then and it would be great. Haven't even thought about it since.
Antero

« Reply #104 on: Aug 17, 2011, 02:18:07 AM »

Kimchi is also a locally-controlled industry, I think.  It's far cheaper to make it in house than it is to ship it any distance.

Ignatius

« Reply #105 on: Aug 17, 2011, 02:27:48 AM »

H'm... Like the markets where kimchi in jars is a viable product necessarily indicates an established manufacturing base? I've seen it at supermarkets, I mean.

This is not really related but it's funny how preserved things like sauer kraut and pickled eggs and pickled beets and pickled watermelon rinds tend to exist in the most isolated markets where, like, shrimp comes from the fucking Indian Ocean.
The_Tourist

« Reply #106 on: Aug 17, 2011, 02:57:33 AM »

i live on the edge of koreatown, so kimchi is abundant and in every possible form. it's pretty great.

we have the money for missiles and fun
Antero

« Reply #107 on: Aug 17, 2011, 03:01:53 AM »

H'm... Like the markets where kimchi in jars is a viable product necessarily indicates an established manufacturing base? I've seen it at supermarkets, I mean.
I think it's simply that it's so cheap to make kimchi that the existence of a market will automatically lead to the creation of a nearby producer - it would cost more to move kimchi between the states than it would cost to make it.  Every time I've seen a jar of kimchi the point of manufacture is the city I'm in.

Bernard

« Reply #108 on: Aug 17, 2011, 03:06:33 AM »

i live on the edge of koreatown, so kimchi is abundant and in every possible form. it's pretty great.

What happened over there today? I saw something on the news with The Fuzz but the sound was off so I couldn't tell what was happening.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
The_Tourist

« Reply #109 on: Aug 17, 2011, 03:08:05 AM »

What happened over there today? I saw something on the news with The Fuzz but the sound was off so I couldn't tell what was happening.

hmmm...i have no idea. i spend my day locked in a cubicle in woodland hills, so i wasn't around to witness anything. on saturday i was woken up by a police helicopter announcing "drop your weapon" over the giant p.a., but that's the only recent excitement around here.

we have the money for missiles and fun
jm

« Reply #110 on: Aug 17, 2011, 07:11:03 AM »

I would like to give a shoutout to the first Japanese dude who looked at an eel and said, "Yeah, I am going to eat the fuck out of that."  Well done, sir.  Well done.

I must admit that I haven't been able to get the hang of eating eel "whole". Eel sushi is far and away my absolute favorite kind of sushi, but I just never got into just eating a big fat cut of eel as a main thing.

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #111 on: Aug 17, 2011, 09:33:17 AM »

fuckin unagi man all barbecuey and awesome

but yeah, I'd never thought about it like that.  Homeboys turn this

into this

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
Antero

« Reply #112 on: Aug 17, 2011, 03:16:32 PM »

I would like to give a shoutout to the first Japanese dude who looked at an eel and said, "Yeah, I am going to eat the fuck out of that."  Well done, sir.  Well done.

I must admit that I haven't been able to get the hang of eating eel "whole". Eel sushi is far and away my absolute favorite kind of sushi, but I just never got into just eating a big fat cut of eel as a main thing.
It's basically the same thing, just in larger amounts and less discrete in composition.

jm

« Reply #113 on: Aug 17, 2011, 04:37:17 PM »

It's basically the same thing, just in larger amounts and less discrete in composition.

Maybe I've only ever had "bad" eel in "whole" form? I just remember not really liking the texture at all.  I remember it being very soft around the edges and extremely tough in the middle, and as such wasn't terribly appetizing to me. I've been meaning to give it another go, though.

Nick Ink

« Reply #114 on: Aug 18, 2011, 12:04:42 PM »

"5000 Year Foods, Chicago IL"  32 oz.  But it also says "1 lb, 14 oz" so I have my doubts about their maths.

That's a cool brand name! Koreans often talk about their '5,000 year-old' civilisation.

My friend's mom used to make kimchi and kimbap in high school and he'd bring some to the cafeteria for our table now and then and it would be great. Haven't even thought about it since.

Funnily enough, kimchi is the one thing I never really got the tatse for (except for a brief spell when I lost my sense of smell completely and then, tellingly, I couldn't get enough of it). Kimbap, on the other hand, is absolutely fantastic. You don't get any of that stuff anywhere around here, but in Korea I used to buy the sort of twin-roll packets of veggy kimbap from the convenience store and eat them for breakfast when I was teaching 6/7am classes. Is that how they're sold there too? Kind of like this, but in a packet:

Do you guys eat much other Korean food?

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #115 on: Aug 18, 2011, 12:15:03 PM »

I'm a sucker for dolsot bibimbap

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
jm

« Reply #116 on: Aug 18, 2011, 12:18:37 PM »

Sadly, my experience with Korean food is largely limited to kimchi and dakgui.

Nick Ink

« Reply #117 on: Aug 18, 2011, 12:27:12 PM »

Yes! Do you have stone dolsot bowls? We only have one left now, having managed to drop and break no fewer than 3 since we came back to the UK.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #118 on: Aug 18, 2011, 01:17:21 PM »

I don't have any at home though I've thought about getting them. But it's a hard dish for me to pass up on the rare occasions when I eat out at a Korean place. I've never had a regular bibimbap without the dolsot but I don't think I'd dig it as much 'cause I really love the way the hot stone bowl crisps up the rice & concentrates the sesame oil flavor.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
edison

« Reply #119 on: Aug 18, 2011, 01:18:01 PM »

Yes! Do you have stone dolsot bowls? We only have one left now, having managed to drop and break no fewer than 3 since we came back to the UK.

Big, big dolsot bibimbap fan as well - it's actually become one of my top 5 favorite foods now, I think. Just out of curiosity, how much does a bowl cost (in Korea, I suppose?)?
edison

« Reply #120 on: Aug 18, 2011, 01:19:37 PM »

I don't have any at home though I've thought about getting them. But it's a hard dish for me to pass up on the rare occasions when I eat out at a Korean place. I've never had a regular bibimbap without the dolsot but I don't think I'd dig it as much 'cause I really love the way the hot stone bowl crisps up the rice & concentrates the sesame oil flavor.

Oh, God. Thanks to this post I look like this now:

My only problem with dolsot bibimbap is that it is so great that it is keeping me from trying any other Korean food ever.
Nick Ink

« Reply #121 on: Aug 18, 2011, 01:28:04 PM »

Big, big dolsot bibimbap fan as well - it's actually become one of my top 5 favorite foods now, I think. Just out of curiosity, how much does a bowl cost (in Korea, I suppose?)?

My wife advises me that in Korea a proper one with a lid on would be about £25 (!), but a normal stone bowl (like the one I have) is only 4 or 5 pounds.

jess

« Reply #122 on: Aug 18, 2011, 04:38:17 PM »

I love kimchi, dolsot bibimbap (and yes, the crispy, crunchy rice is the best part), soondooboo (sp?), those sweet potato noodles, pajeon, bulgolgi, the korean dumplings I've had, those fishcakes you get as ban chan (and most other ban chan), and probably other stuff. Going to Korea was pretty delicious, and there's actually several Korean restaurants here, one of which is quite good. Oh, and that toasty "tea" that's made of rice or barley or something, that's great too.
jess

« Reply #123 on: Aug 18, 2011, 04:38:48 PM »

Oh man, now I want Korean food so badly.
Bernard

« Reply #124 on: Aug 18, 2011, 05:45:16 PM »

Ha, how timely. My daughter woke up this morning and said 'I like bulgogi.' (She has never had bulgogi.)

Los Angeles apparently has the largest Korean population of any city outside of Seoul? Not sure that's accurate? My favorite is 'genghis khan' -- like korean bbq but instead of a grill there's a big pot of broth in the middle of the table and at the end after you've eaten all the platefuls of herbs and whatever, they dump in a bunch of rice and make porridge. YUM.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Aromatherapy raviolis: the new FOOD thread
Jump to: