Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 15, 2014, 08:55:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657995 Posts in 9261 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 63 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Aromatherapy raviolis: the new FOOD thread  (Read 17366 times)
Ashley

« Reply #200 on: Sep 26, 2011, 11:11:04 AM »

Why am I in this thread when I have no money for foods.

dogg you ain't gotta rustle outside in cloaks of darkness and shit
Greg Nog

« Reply #201 on: Sep 26, 2011, 03:16:30 PM »

Whoa, never heard of naem, but it sounds great!  Will have to pick that up next time I'm at the Asian market.
Ashley

« Reply #202 on: Oct 03, 2011, 03:14:05 AM »

I think I want to cook a turkey because they're all on sale for thanksgiving and stuff.  Also I think it'd be cool to get good at cooking turkey.  And also I would like some potato and gravy and there are a few people that might enjoy coming over to eat turkey with me.

What delicious/cheapish things should I make with the turkey leftovers (preferably freezable)?

peacocks

« Reply #203 on: Oct 03, 2011, 12:16:17 PM »

thanksgiving lasagna sounds aces!

dick-check your priviledge
Greg Nog

« Reply #204 on: Oct 05, 2011, 12:57:57 PM »

So I was in a chile-chocolate cookoff last weekend!  I did not win, but came in second place by a mere three votes!

I made chili-chocolate quiches, and since I was largely improvising the recipe as I went, I thought I'd type up the final recipe here.  The layers were: a chocolate pie crust, a chocolate-pepper compote, an egg layer, a breadcrumb/parmesan layer, and a dollop of cream on top.  Here's what I did for all of those; the recipe serves like 270 people.

Chocolate Pie Crust:

25 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
10 teaspoons salt
20 tablespoons sugar
20 tablespoons cocoa powder
120 tablespoons (15 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch slices
5 cups cold vegetable shortening
2.5 cups cold vodka
2.5 cups cold water

Mix half the flour, plus all the salt and sugar until combined. Add to that mixture the butter and shortening and put in a food processor; process until homogeneous dough just starts to collect in uneven clumps, about 15 seconds (dough will resemble cottage cheese curds and there should be no uncoated flour). Scrape bowl with rubber spatula and redistribute dough evenly around processor blade. Add remaining flour and mix until the dough is largely dough-ish looking but dry, with the butter in tiny-pea-sized lumps.

Sprinkle vodka and water over mixture.  Use folding motion to mix, pressing down on dough until dough is slightly tacky and sticks together. Divide dough into balls the size of baby heads, and press down into thick disc shapes. Wrap each disc in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 45 minutes or up to 2 days.

Roll out dough and cut when ready to place into pie tins.  I did this a few days before the contest, then froze the pie crusts until I was ready to assemble the whole shebang.

Chocolate-Chili Compote:

12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup heavy cream
9 Tablespoons salted butter

4 Tbsp oilve oil
1.5 large onions, chopped
15 cloves garlic, minced
1 28-ounce can of tomatoes
10 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
3 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
2 Tbsp barley miso
12 ounce can of chipotle peppers in sauce
1 Tbs cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
8 ounces cream cheese

In double boiler, melt the chocolate, cream, and butter.

In a large pot, sautee the onions and garlic until translucent and beginning to brown.  Add the tomatoes and boil on low heat for about 10 minutes.  Add the rest of the ingredients ad boil for a while longer (maybe 30 minutes?), until the peppers are soft.

You should have a chunky pot of stuff that's basically like chili; now blend it until smooth (I used a stick-blender).  Add the chocolate sauce to this and mix thoroughly.  This can be stored for a day or so.

Egg layer:

80 eggs
20 cups heavy cream
20 ounces spinach
3 red bell peppers
30 scallions

Mix the egg and cream in a giant pot.  Chop the spinach, pepper, and scallions as finely as possible, then mix them in.

Breadcrumb layer:

2 cups breadcrumbs
2 cups parmesan cheese
1 cup salt

Toast the breadcrumbs until brown and aromatic in a dry pan.  Mix the cheese and salt in.  Set aside.

Cream:

6 cups heavy cream
zest of 3 lemons

Whip the heavy cream until stiff.  Fold in the lemon zest.

ASSEMBLE THEM QUICHES:

I made mini-quiches, so they ended up being about 4-inch circles of pie crust in those little mini aluminum pans.  Each pan got a pie-crust layer on the bottom, then about 2-3 teaspoons of the compote, then enough egg mixture to fill the crust to the rim.  They were baked at 375 degrees F for about 25 minutes.  Just before serving them, they were sprinkled with a layer of the breadcrumb mixture, and about a Tablespoon of whipped cream on top of that.

They were good!
coldforge

« Reply #205 on: Oct 05, 2011, 01:33:17 PM »

Nog, did my friend Max say hi?

l'era del terzo mondo.
Greg Nog

« Reply #206 on: Oct 05, 2011, 03:35:14 PM »

No!  Was he there?
coldforge

« Reply #207 on: Oct 05, 2011, 03:56:27 PM »

He was. Moustachio'd fellow. I told him to greet yuo.

l'era del terzo mondo.
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #208 on: Oct 05, 2011, 09:51:33 PM »

I like how everyone's smiling but greg and rodney dangerfield.

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
clare

« Reply #209 on: Oct 06, 2011, 05:24:40 AM »

Mmmm. Vodka pie crust!

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
Ashley

« Reply #210 on: Oct 08, 2011, 09:55:30 AM »

I'm making my first turkey tonight.

Pretty scary.

(it's canadian thanksgiving you guys).

elpollodiablo

« Reply #211 on: Oct 08, 2011, 10:02:42 AM »

How are you preparing it? There was a harebrained scheme around here a couple of weekends ago to fry a turkey, before we realized that we'd spend about $40 on oil alone.

think 'on the road.'
Ashley

« Reply #212 on: Oct 08, 2011, 11:27:15 AM »

I'm just gonna roast it?  Stuffed with breadcrumbs and savory and stuff.  My great uncle cooks turkeys and roasts and things for weddings and huge community potlucks, he does an amazing job.  I'm probably going to call my mother and ask her how he does it, although I'm pretty sure he does a brine and cooks them upside down and stuff.

When I bought the turkey the woman at the cash was asking me how I was going to cook it, telling me she had never had turkey before (she was middle eastern).  I didn't know what to tell her haha.  I don't even really have a roasting pan. I'm not having anyone in though, so I'm not too worried about killing anyone with raw turkey (I would be worried about that).  I'm probably just gonna eat the neck and a bit of dark meat with some potatos then use the rest of it to make other dishes (enchiladas, stew and soup).  I just couldn't turn down $14 for so much meat.  I wish I had a bigger freezer, I would have like 4 turkeys.

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #213 on: Oct 09, 2011, 10:00:12 AM »

Look up how alton Brown does it

Bernard

« Reply #214 on: Oct 09, 2011, 12:12:11 PM »

How are you preparing it? There was a harebrained scheme around here a couple of weekends ago to fry a turkey, before we realized that we'd spend about $40 on oil alone.

Could you go in with some buddies and split the cost? Deep-fried is the nicest way I've had it.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
Thermofusion

« Reply #215 on: Oct 09, 2011, 05:36:24 PM »

Turkey fryers are dangerous contraptions

triple paisley minimum
nonotyet

« Reply #216 on: Oct 10, 2011, 09:32:53 AM »

I watched a ridiculous amount of Epic Meal Time this weekend. You would think I would have barfed all over everything by the time they got to the recipie for stacked grilled cheese sandwiches filled with bacon and covered with a sauce made out of crushed Cheetos (or whatever they call Cheetos in Canada) and Jagermeister, or when they wrapped 20 Big Macs in bacon and stuffed them in a pig, but you would be wrong.  I was so excited about it that I made my very first (vegetarian) poutine.  

POUTINE
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #217 on: Oct 11, 2011, 11:21:57 PM »

I'm not really a sweets person, but fyi Giffords Grape Nut ice cream is fucking delicious.

http://giffordsicecream.com/flavors/retail-locations/grape-nuts/

JamesSchneider

« Reply #218 on: Oct 11, 2011, 11:34:22 PM »

Are the Jewish people the Chosen People?

Try and argue with pearl couscous.

Couldn't you take the second bus home?
RoyBiggins

« Reply #219 on: Oct 12, 2011, 01:54:52 PM »

I been missing from this thread for so long.  I can't that recipe from Spoon up there, Jim!  Shit, I love spoon.  Might have to eat it tonight.  Is that the thing that has essentially Thai Spam bits in it?  I've only ordered that once, and Lucy told me you recommended it.  It was Delicious!

They've got this other thing on one of the Thai menus that's a bunch of fried rice fried up with shrimp paste and served surrounded by piles of bbq pork, red onions, scrambled eggs, and shredded green apples.  It is GOOD.  For some reason, about half the time I order it, they ask me if I'm sure I want it, and that it tastes like shrimp. 

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #220 on: Oct 12, 2011, 03:20:30 PM »

yeah man, I am sure I have recommended that dish to you, and the one time when a bunch of us went there together on Pitchfork weekend several years ago that's what I got.

gotta look for that shrimpy thing next time I get up there, that sounds good too.

Also, larb (laab, laap, whatever), that's something I'll generally order from a thai place as a benchmark. man I love larb.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
RoyBiggins

« Reply #221 on: Oct 12, 2011, 03:24:50 PM »

Yeah!!  The other thing I've eaten at your insistence--the pork neck larb, which was beautiful and citrusy.  Did not disappoint. 

I have these Restaurant.com coupons for Spoon that let you get a shit ton of food for like $40.  Some time, we should go and get a bunch of amazing stuff.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
jess

« Reply #222 on: Oct 12, 2011, 04:00:50 PM »

If you still have those whenever I finally make it back up to Chicago, I will eat the hell out some of thai food with you. That was awesome last time we did that.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #223 on: Oct 12, 2011, 04:13:51 PM »

now that we no longer have a deadline I think we should really buckle down on getting some damn top notch beefburgers man. South Side expedition. Whaddaya say? Don't make me start posting reviews at you.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
RoyBiggins

« Reply #224 on: Oct 12, 2011, 04:37:59 PM »

I'm completely in.  Not this weekend, though, as I will be with Jess, drinking bourbons and eating pumpkin-related things.

Hot Brown Grudgematch 2011?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Aromatherapy raviolis: the new FOOD thread
Jump to: