Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 31, 2014, 09:51:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658143 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 64 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: am I hippie or a bodybuilder: HEALTH + FITNESS  (Read 21604 times)
Bernard

« on: Aug 04, 2011, 05:25:07 PM »

height: 5 feet 5 inches
weight: 136.8 lbs ( Mad )
20 squats -- didn't have good form, can't figure out how to get my butt far enough back to keep my knees from going past my toes without falling over
10 pushups - from my knees, and couldn't go down very far and still be able to get back up
20 lunges -- also didn't have good form, these hurt my knee, but not sure what I'm doing wrong
10 dumbbell rows -- 5 lb weights, these were fine
30 second plank -- this felt like it should've been harder to do which makes me suspect I was doing something wrong

I meant to try to do three sets of these but I am REALLY feeling the quads already. I will try to get the form right before doing more squats or lunges as I have chronic knee problems subsequent to an injury on the right side plus LCL and IT band issues on that side.

Also have started taking a pilates class at the gym that involves a few yoga moves, but haven't yet gotten fully on the wagon. Still trying to build it up into a habit.

Must not weigh myself immediately after lunch. Even though I know better, I still feel bummed out when I see that number (and I want to note before anybody tells me that I am not overweight that I have a small, light frame and am now more than twenty pounds heavier than I was at 30, when I went to the gym regularly -- somebody else my height and weight could even be underweight for their build). I am including my height as well because I have awful posture and in the past I've "gotten taller" after ballet class and am wondering if the pilates will also help me stand taller.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
elpollodiablo

« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2011, 05:27:55 PM »

Dude, I have *the worst* posture and have been curious about pilates for that reason.

think 'on the road.'
coldforge

« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2011, 05:32:45 PM »

I've been working on my posture a lot lately, too. It's almost impossible to meditate effectively with a slouch. I'm still not solid on what the balance is between a straight spine and keeping my back and ass relaxed. It's also interesting, just looking at standing/walking posture, how somebody can look charismatic and in control with a straight, relaxed posture, and like a total geek with a straight, overly stiff posture.

I guess I should be doing crunches and stuff to that effect but it's too boring Sad On the plus side, I found a couple free weights at work, and so now when I'm doing anything that doesn't require both hands, I'm just idly doing lots of reps. Seems to be working so far and I don't get as bored.

l'era del terzo mondo.
Bernard

« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2011, 06:51:35 PM »

It's also interesting, just looking at standing/walking posture, how somebody can look charismatic and in control with a straight, relaxed posture, and like a total geek with a straight, overly stiff posture.

Yes! And indeed, it's astonishing how hard it is to stand up straight if you're a chronic sloucher, without going stiff.

Well, I will report back on how pilates works.

Greg Nog

« Reply #4 on: Aug 04, 2011, 07:39:14 PM »

20 squats -- didn't have good form, can't figure out how to get my butt far enough back to keep my knees from going past my toes without falling over

I raise my hands out in front of me to balance out my back half.
Bernard

« Reply #5 on: Aug 04, 2011, 07:44:07 PM »

Guess which weighs more, my butt or my hands.

But thank you, I will try it.

ellaguru

« Reply #6 on: Aug 04, 2011, 07:57:25 PM »

It's almost impossible to meditate effectively with a slouch.

The yoga people will tell you that the whole point of yoga is to prepare you to be able to sit for meditation. I'm pretty sure I noted that in the last thread, too. But still, just sayin'.

Also, the thread title put me in mind of Elizabeth Cook's hardly original yet still pretty funny tweet from last week:

Quote from: Elizabeth Cook
Yoga is exersize for stoners.

I can get behind that, I'm happy on the hippie side of life.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
peacocks

« Reply #7 on: Aug 04, 2011, 11:54:43 PM »

lol bernard your current weight is like my dream life goal weight. And I'm 5'6.

dick-check your priviledge
Bernard

« Reply #8 on: Aug 05, 2011, 12:12:05 AM »

Every body is different! My friend who does derby is probably 15-20 lbs heavier than I am, a couple inches shorter, and pure muscle.

Ignatius

« Reply #9 on: Aug 05, 2011, 12:16:23 AM »

Weight's useless. I'm as slight as I've ever been and about 15-20 lbs. heavier than past incarnations of emaciated-me. My thighs got hard. Woodpeckers come around, looking for a taste.
C of heartbreak

« Reply #10 on: Aug 05, 2011, 02:13:14 AM »

One thing that has really helped my posture is walking around with my abs tightened. Sure, it's what fratboy douchebags do, but try it: you can't tighten your abs without straightening your back. It feels stiff at first, but the thing with slouching is that your body relaxes into the posture its used to being in--so once you get used to standing/sitting up straight, it's a lot easier to do so in a relaxed manner. In fact, I've taken to doing situps and planks at various points throughout the day (err, on my good days) just to keep my abs tight without having to think about it.

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
clare

« Reply #11 on: Aug 05, 2011, 07:14:56 AM »

I raise my hands out in front of me to balance out my back half.

Guess which weighs more, my butt or my hands.

But thank you, I will try it.

He's totally right though. As you go into the squat, bring your arms up slowly so that they're straight out at shoulder level when you're in the deepest part of the squat, and then slowly lower them as you come up. Physics does the rest for you. Make sure you could still lift your toes off the floor if you wanted)

You weigh a lot less than I do, but yeah, your body shape is different (and you're a bit shorter). I have that scary 'apple' shape where all my weight is abdominal. Even though I've lost so much weight and my waist is a good 12cm smaller, it still seems big in relation to the rest of me, and my boobs are not much smaller at all. I think a lot of it is stretched out skin now :-/ (I'm currently just under 65k - 143lb with another couple of kilos to go)...

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
peacocks

« Reply #12 on: Aug 05, 2011, 08:36:15 AM »

(and I want to note before anybody tells me that I am not overweight that I have a small, light frame and am now more than twenty pounds heavier than I was at 30, when I went to the gym regularly -- somebody else my height and weight could even be underweight for their build).

Oops, sorry I didn't read this. My weight is distributed pretty evenly over my whole body and I have a sturdy build and an hourglass shape so you are right. When I lose weight I lose it everywhere and when I gain it, the same thing. I have been working out steadily for about a month and I've actually gained 3 pounds. I feel like I should never eat again.

My friends and I have been doing Mary Windsor pilates vhs tapes from 1998 someone got at a thrift store. We just started doing the hour long advanced one every other day and I really feel like yoga is better for posture. Pilates is fun and challenging (especially with the sickening of the core aka powerhouse) but the postures and the flow of yoga help you get better, deeper stretches and really teach you how to control minute parts of your body- like how to relax and stand or sit up straight at the same time. Pilates is more abrupt and it's hard on the neck. I still like doing it but I wouldn't exchange it for yoga.

peacocks

« Reply #13 on: Aug 05, 2011, 10:29:28 AM »

wow, speaking of body types I found this website on the hairpin:
http://www.mybodygallery.com/
You can put in your height, weight, and shape and it will come up with pictures of women who supposedly look like you. It's pretty cool! The hairpin suggests leaving the clothing sizes blank for better matches.

Greg Nog

« Reply #14 on: Aug 05, 2011, 11:12:07 AM »

These women look nothing like me!
coldforge

« Reply #15 on: Aug 05, 2011, 11:37:26 AM »

Now I'm afraid that one biceps is bigger than the other.

l'era del terzo mondo.
Greg Nog

« Reply #16 on: Aug 05, 2011, 11:39:21 AM »

Which bicep is bigger?
mixed cats

« Reply #17 on: Aug 05, 2011, 11:45:28 AM »

Re Bernard and tallness: When I went for a physical in 2010, they measured me at 5'4". When I went this year - in April, after eight months of consistent yoga practice - they measured me at 5'5". Either mistakes were made, or I'm standing up better. It's possible at least part of my 'good posture' is from sucking in my gut forever though.

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
coldforge

« Reply #18 on: Aug 05, 2011, 11:56:43 AM »

Which bicep is bigger?
The leftie, I'm pretty sure.

l'era del terzo mondo.
coldforge

« Reply #19 on: Aug 05, 2011, 12:41:57 PM »

Are there any other good triceps free weight exercises, aside from this one?

l'era del terzo mondo.
Bernard

« Reply #20 on: Aug 05, 2011, 12:44:25 PM »

Forge, there's the one where you take basically the same position as for a dumbbell row, but then swing your arm straight back from the elbow (so in fact it's not straight, but an arc) so your arm finishes fully extended and in line with the side of your body.

wow, speaking of body types I found this website on the hairpin:
http://www.mybodygallery.com/
You can put in your height, weight, and shape and it will come up with pictures of women who supposedly look like you. It's pretty cool! The hairpin suggests leaving the clothing sizes blank for better matches.

I am not happy with the result. I rounded my weight up and my height down. Maybe I should do it the other way.

---

Did it the other way. Wow. That's a huge difference.

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #21 on: Aug 05, 2011, 02:51:17 PM »

yeah they probably need 5lb increments.  There's a pretty big difference between, say someone 5'2"/120lb, and 5'2"/130lb. 

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
milesofsparks

« Reply #22 on: Aug 05, 2011, 03:02:39 PM »

My friends and I have been doing Mary Windsor pilates vhs tapes from 1998 someone got at a thrift store. We just started doing the hour long advanced one every other day and I really feel like yoga is better for posture. Pilates is fun and challenging (especially with the sickening of the core aka powerhouse) but the postures and the flow of yoga help you get better, deeper stretches and really teach you how to control minute parts of your body- like how to relax and stand or sit up straight at the same time. Pilates is more abrupt and it's hard on the neck. I still like doing it but I wouldn't exchange it for yoga.

I would disagree that Pilates isn't as good as Yoga for posture--I've only done a little matwork on my own, but I have several friends (including two with terrible back problems who were sent to Pilates by their doctors) who have had great success with it, and strengthening your core is a huge help for posture.  the things I did weren't at all abrupt or hard on my neck--I think it depends on the instructor, etc.  in fact, it felt very similar to Yoga to me, as far as balance and grace go.

With some of my research and knowledge I am a little sure about it.
peacocks

« Reply #23 on: Aug 05, 2011, 03:21:53 PM »

A pilates class is probably much much different than a video tape. Mary has us always lifting our heads up, straining our necks and it's like "jees lady!"  We can follow Dagney though, if things get too hard. We started internet stalking Dagney and it turns out she was in a bunch of episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer! She was Buffy's demonic college roommate!!!

Bernard

« Reply #24 on: Aug 05, 2011, 03:25:53 PM »

You say Mary Windsor and I just keep imagining somebody dressed up like some historical queen of England.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: am I hippie or a bodybuilder: HEALTH + FITNESS
Jump to: