Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 28, 2014, 06:34:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657793 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 75 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: EAST COAST EARTHQUAKE  (Read 1896 times)
distance

« Reply #25 on: Aug 23, 2011, 04:49:46 PM »

i live in mineral.  4 miles from the epicenter.  the house shook violently for 30-45 seconds or so. i had trouble getting out of the house it was shaking so much.  we have some damage.. not relaly sure how much, but it's not as bad as some of my neighbors.  most of my immediate neighbors lost their chimneys.. ours are damaged but not taken out.
have not heard from andrew yet, but i don't hear from him too terribly often these days.

Thermofusion

« Reply #26 on: Aug 23, 2011, 04:51:11 PM »

Shit, that's crazy man. Glad you're ok!

triple paisley minimum
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #27 on: Aug 23, 2011, 04:52:42 PM »

Man, what's in Mineral?

It was a light shake here at first, probably what they felt in nyc, then about 20 seconds of some pretty violent shaking.

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
distance

« Reply #28 on: Aug 23, 2011, 04:53:55 PM »

neither the internet nor power went out.  i wasn't going to get up at first (i had just sat back down at the computer).  then shit REALLY started shaking and i tried to make my way out of the house.
well.. the power did go out briefly... but not for close to 5 minutes after and it was off for maybe a minute tops...  cell service on the other hand... i haven't been able to make any calls.  i have voicemails but i can't check them

distance

« Reply #29 on: Aug 23, 2011, 04:56:27 PM »

Man, what's in Mineral?

It was a light shake here at first, probably what they felt in nyc, then about 20 seconds of some pretty violent shaking.

there's nothing in mineral.   a gas station.  a traffic light. a kick-ass dmv that NEVER has a line (maybe the best thing about living out here?).  it shook for 5-10seconds and then it really ramped up. i could hear things falling and breaking before i was even able to get out of my room. i was able to leave the house and get back in and leave again before the shaking stopped.

my neighbor is still in high school (and was in the process of turning the key in her door -- she'd just gotten home) and apparently there's extensive damage at her high school and she heard they may have to relocate them for a while or something.. obviously this is only a little while after things, so... i dont know.. still ready to bolt for the door right now if things start shaking again.

Thermofusion

« Reply #30 on: Aug 23, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »

Wikipedia says Mineral is a turn of the century old gold mining town. Shit man after all this settles you oughta take a pan out to a creek and see if anything tasty shook to the surface

triple paisley minimum
El_Josharino

« Reply #31 on: Aug 23, 2011, 05:11:09 PM »

Whoa, are there underground mines there and such? Hopefully nothing will cave in underneath you if so.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
distance

« Reply #32 on: Aug 23, 2011, 05:42:24 PM »

if there are, i don't know where they are.
there's certainly not anything super active going on here at this point mining-wise.
my only real regional concern is the nuclear plant that's about 6-7 miles away.

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #33 on: Aug 23, 2011, 06:12:20 PM »

Folks were sprinting out of the building. I power walked.

mountmccabe

« Reply #34 on: Aug 23, 2011, 06:39:41 PM »

Wow, we really do have someone on the scene. Glad you are OK, distance.

In NJ we had maybe five seconds of gentle wobbly. Still more than I ever felt living out West.

You know a pancake?
distance

« Reply #35 on: Aug 23, 2011, 06:45:19 PM »

i think i'm gonna go out and take some pictures.

jebreject

« Reply #36 on: Aug 23, 2011, 07:12:11 PM »

TSKS reported back elsewhere on the internet, so he's okay as well.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
mixed cats

« Reply #37 on: Aug 23, 2011, 07:54:38 PM »

My office building shook for five or ten seconds. Long enough for us to assume a bunch of furniture was being moved upstairs, and then decide no it is indeed a fucking earthquake, and we all popped out of our offices, and these dudes I work with were like "that was awesome" and high fived.

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
distance

« Reply #38 on: Aug 23, 2011, 08:28:46 PM »

4.2 aftershock about 15mins ago.
talked to andrew and he said that his biggest concern was making sure he was dressed in case the house caved in, so i suppose he's ok.

the town was a zoo. took a couple pictures.. going to take more tomorrow now that it's dark.  pretty big damage to the dmv.. and the post office apparently too (couldnt tell too well).

G.C.R

« Reply #39 on: Aug 23, 2011, 08:39:25 PM »

eeps, distance, glad to hear you're ok. Earthquakes freak me the hell out. Make sure you have lots of water at your house!

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #40 on: Aug 23, 2011, 10:00:15 PM »

My office building shook for five or ten seconds. Long enough for us to assume a bunch of furniture was being moved upstairs, and then decide no it is indeed a fucking earthquake, and we all popped out of our offices, and these dudes I work with were like "that was awesome" and high fived.

exactly... It was like ten seconds of what just seemed like a loud commotion--someone rolling a huge cart above you or an ac unit on the fritz and then all of the sudden it was like oh shit this is legit and the sirens started going off. 

clare

« Reply #41 on: Aug 24, 2011, 02:39:11 AM »

Wow, yeah. I saw it had happened on fb this morning, but this is the first time I've been able to get in here. I'm glad you're all OK, especially distance!

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
Antero

« Reply #42 on: Aug 24, 2011, 02:57:11 AM »

I AM FROM LOS ANGELES AND AM ABOUT TO BE REALLY SNARKY

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #43 on: Aug 24, 2011, 07:18:06 AM »

Our crust is colder and denser which makes waves travel further and more noticeable. Also, was only 6km deep.  Shallow earthquakes produce more surface waves.

jebreject

« Reply #44 on: Aug 24, 2011, 07:42:38 AM »

I AM FROM LOS ANGELES AND AM ABOUT TO BE REALLY SNARKY

I saw a funny thread where Californians were making fun of East Coasters about the Earthquake and then someone pointed out that Californians are hella afraid of thunder and the tables turned.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
jess

« Reply #45 on: Aug 24, 2011, 07:50:02 AM »

So Northern California apparently decided to show the East Coast what's what and had an earthquake too. Natural order has been restored.
peacocks

« Reply #46 on: Aug 24, 2011, 09:30:28 AM »

Weird because earthquakes can actually hurt and kill a lot of people and thunder is a sound. Silly Californians.

Yeah! My friend who lives in Oakland texted me last night and said he thought someone slammed a door really hard but then heard some guy on the street below his house say "I think we just had a small earthquake."

dick-check your priviledge
kyle

« Reply #47 on: Aug 24, 2011, 08:24:19 PM »

My favorite quote from another message board I post on

"east coast people complaining about earthquakes is like west coast people trying to drive in the rain."

I was in on the second floor of a house, and thought for the first few seconds that a bus had run into the building. After a few moments more I realized what was happening and got into a door frame, cause you know, that's apparently what you do. It was a no point really frightening. The news in Richmond said the only structural damage was to a decrepit wall in the east end, which fell over finally.

I walked across the street to the store had this conversation with the clerk:

"So.... that was an earthquake?"
"Yeah, pretty crazy huh?"
"Yeah it was, well can I get a pack of smokes?"

Not too scary in Richmond, as you can see.

Here are some links to things:

Cars damaged by falling bricks somewhere in VA

Rational science about headaches leading up to earthquakes

Patton Oswalt's twitter:

pattonoswalt (1 of 3) Oops! 5.8 mag earthquake I just felt was centered in No. Va., where I grew up. I need to apologize.

pattonoswalt (2 of 3) When I was a teen, me & four other friends banished a spider-demon named Thra'axx in a chymic cylinder.

pattonoswalt (3 of 3) Guess who forgot to remind the others to repaint the doom-rim with hobo blood today? #mybad

Also, this existed and then immediately became an old joke

All in all, good earthquake.

Jeb, you know you live in the age of internet thievery, right?
yeah but i like holding things
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #48 on: Aug 24, 2011, 09:04:26 PM »

Where's some pics, distance

distance

« Reply #49 on: Aug 24, 2011, 09:55:42 PM »

well i didn't end up going out and taking pictures today because i ended up running into town to run errands and buy groceries since stuff here is closed.

here's a picture from a house nearby that i did not take:
http://www.readthehook.com/files/imagecache/max_viewable/images/field_images/news-earthquake-07-cuckoo.jpg

kitchen

rear of the town hall/dmv

might go out tomorrow if i have time.. have quite a bit i need to do in case we get rain from this hurricane.  gotta see if i can figure out if the chimney damage = roof damage = potential leaks.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: EAST COAST EARTHQUAKE
Jump to: