Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 29, 2014, 06:58:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657803 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 61 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19
Print
Author Topic: and still, the randomness  (Read 33387 times)
mountmccabe

« Reply #350 on: Jun 11, 2012, 12:59:12 PM »

I forgot to listen to jazz today instead listened to a lot of gary numan/wire/omd/laurie anderson/the mcgarigle sisters maybe I am not cut out for this.

I have a jelly roll morton and a coleman hawkins album. them next I promise. and my "teacher" (I put quotes because he is really just my friend who is sort of a percussion major and knows some stuff about jazz and wanted to teach it to me) is supposed to make me a mix on grooveshark.

Did you ever get your mix? If so would you mind sharing it with me? If not I have at least one random jazz playlist up and would be happy to make you a specific one, if you had specific things for which you were listening.

You know a pancake?
peacocks

« Reply #351 on: Jun 12, 2012, 01:05:01 AM »

no! I didn't get it yet! I've been mostly jazzless for over a week!

dick-check your priviledge
davy

« Reply #352 on: Jun 12, 2012, 01:04:46 PM »

So, I'm listening to this album on spotify:

I started listening because he was listed as a "related artist" to Glenn Danzig. Anyway, I was digging it, so I looked it up. The internet wormhole took effect and after a couple of clicks, I ended up here -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Budd_Dwyer -- reading about the PA attorney general who committed suicide during a televised press conference, an image from which was later immortalized as a Neurosis record cover.

Jesus Christ!

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Babar

« Reply #353 on: Jun 13, 2012, 03:05:57 AM »

Any of you seen the original artwork used for the album cover of In an Aeroplane over the Sea? Well, I hadn't until just now so here it is

Pretty cool

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
fishjim

« Reply #354 on: Jun 13, 2012, 03:16:47 AM »

she looks better with a tambourine head

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
edison

« Reply #355 on: Jun 14, 2012, 02:25:09 AM »

So Trapist's "Walk These Hills Lightly" was already one of my favorite songs this year, and now I realized the title is probably a Townes Van Zandt reference! Pretty neat.
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #356 on: Jun 14, 2012, 07:22:32 AM »

I started listening because he was listed as a "related artist" to Glenn Danzig. Anyway, I was digging it, so I looked it up. The internet wormhole took effect and after a couple of clicks, I ended up here -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Budd_Dwyer -- reading about the PA attorney general who committed suicide during a televised press conference, an image from which was later immortalized as a Neurosis record cover.

Jesus Christ!

And also the inspiration for the song/EP "Budd" by Rapeman.

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #357 on: Jun 15, 2012, 04:26:42 AM »

What media player do you lot use for music (windows)? I really don't like itunes and have been using Winamp for years without bothering to check anything else out. Am I missing anything with the likes of mediamonkey etc?

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
Good Intentions

« Reply #358 on: Jun 15, 2012, 06:30:41 AM »

foobar2000. It's totally barebones out of the box, but at least as skinnable as Winamp, for more costumisable, and has the purest sound of anything out there. You think there wouldn't be any difference between the quality of soun output of audio players, but there's a weird feature in the default Windows code which causes small infidelities, and the foobar people have coded an alternative. That's the level of audio geekery that you can attain that way.
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #359 on: Jun 15, 2012, 09:23:38 AM »

Thanks bud. It does sound better. The text is much bigger than I'm used to though. How do I change that? I can't seem to find it in the options.
There's lots of stuff I'll need to explore to get this set out the way I want but it seems worth the time.

I noticed recently that Winamp had started sounding poor. Even compared to itunes. I'm not sure why. I can't see anything in settings that reset itself. Weird.

Good Intentions

« Reply #360 on: Jun 15, 2012, 09:11:59 PM »

I've never tried changing the text size, so I don't know. Frankly, I wouldn't bother. Instead, get a nice skin. This is the one I use now:
http://inhiblon.deviantart.com/art/Foobar-Mnlt2-Plus-2-0-297076953?offset=30
It's very minimal. Before that I used the following, feature-rich one:
http://browse.deviantart.com/customization/skins/media/foobar2000/?order=9#/d33pj8h
clare

« Reply #361 on: Jun 16, 2012, 12:50:05 AM »

As a result of a long fb conversation that started with a picture of someone's bathroom mould that looked like Jesus, I am listening to Aqualung for the first time in about 20 years and loving it. Yay Spotify.

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
fishjim

« Reply #362 on: Jun 16, 2012, 01:12:58 AM »

I've been thick as a brick lately & loving it.

clare

« Reply #363 on: Jun 16, 2012, 01:31:49 AM »

Yeah, it was a toss up, what to listen to, but I decided on Aqualung *because* it's been so long since I last heard it. I have a mostly-still-OK tape of Thick as a Brick somewhere, that I've listened to in the last 10 years, but I can't remember if I ever bought Aqualung on CD or not...Guess I'd better drag out my CDs :-)

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
ellaguru

« Reply #364 on: Jun 16, 2012, 08:44:08 AM »

You guys know about this?

Because the world needed a sequel to Thick as a Brick.
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2012, 08:47:00 AM by ellaguru » Logged

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
fishjim

« Reply #365 on: Jun 16, 2012, 12:34:13 PM »

OMG

Babar

« Reply #366 on: Jun 16, 2012, 05:11:07 PM »

holy shit! Gerald Bostock is what, 50 years old today? Treat him well, Ian.

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
Nick Ink

« Reply #367 on: Jun 16, 2012, 05:40:36 PM »

Just read that someone has been killed at a Radiohead concert in Toronto today.  The stage collapsed, apparently.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
ellaguru

« Reply #368 on: Jun 17, 2012, 02:48:30 AM »

Yes, I was supposed to be at that show. Very sad.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
Nick Ink

« Reply #369 on: Jun 17, 2012, 03:03:55 AM »

In more trivial random news, I've just drawn Robert Smith's face on a postit note.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #370 on: Jun 18, 2012, 03:12:54 PM »

Whoa, I just brought up AMG for the first time in probably a few weeks and it's unrecognizable.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
davy

« Reply #371 on: Jun 18, 2012, 08:21:51 PM »

Whoa, I just brought up AMG for the first time in probably a few weeks and it's unrecognizable.

Yep. And it looks dumb.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Thermofusion

« Reply #372 on: Jun 18, 2012, 09:17:39 PM »

What's y'all's take on this? David Lowery (of Camper van Beethoven and Cracker fame) writes a response to some NPR intern's blog post. Apologies if already posted elsewhere, I don't often visit the non-baseball threads.

I also find this all this sort of sad.  Many in your generation are willing to pay a little extra to buy “fair trade” coffee that insures the workers that harvested the coffee were paid fairly.  Many in your generation will pay a little more to buy clothing and shoes from manufacturers that  certify they don’t use  sweatshops.  Many in your generation pressured Apple to examine working conditions at Foxconn in China.  Your generation is largely responsible for the recent cultural changes that has given more equality to same sex couples.  On nearly every count your generation is much more ethical and fair than my generation.   Except for one thing.  Artist rights.

triple paisley minimum
mountmccabe

« Reply #373 on: Jun 18, 2012, 09:43:04 PM »

I was taking him seriously and at face value until he brought Vic Chestnutt and Mark Linkous and was all "they died because you pirate but I'm not trying to shame you or anything" (paraphrase).

Also I would bet the number of people who buy fair trade coffee (or cruelty-free shoes) is lower than the number of people who buy music.

He goes further bad-faith arguing when he goes off about the $2,000 for her 11,000 songs... even though there is no way for her to have paid only that sum.

My comments are not meant to betray my thoughts on the complicated issue but merely this particular rant on it.

EDIT: "Also I would bet the number..." not "Also I would be the number..."
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2012, 09:57:29 AM by mountmccabe » Logged

You know a pancake?
fishjim

« Reply #374 on: Jun 18, 2012, 09:53:21 PM »

Yeah, it's a complicated issue. I'm for artist rights, obviously, but that doesn't mean I think selling art for money is the Path to a Happy Society. We need art to live, and we need to recognize artists as essential to community.

On balance, I'd say the commodification of art is a larger problem than pirated art.

« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2012, 09:59:54 PM by fishjim » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: and still, the randomness
Jump to: