Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 21, 2014, 07:03:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658203 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 50 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25
Print
Author Topic: saw a talkie at the picture show: new film thread  (Read 18761 times)
Ah_Pook

« Reply #350 on: Jan 01, 2012, 08:53:56 PM »

man i couldnt sit through howl

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
coldforge

« Reply #351 on: Jan 01, 2012, 09:07:43 PM »

Yo, that that flick bout them talkin' Owls?

č l'era del terzo mondo.
fishjim

« Reply #352 on: Jan 01, 2012, 10:21:46 PM »

Yo, that that flick bout them talkin' Owls?

Actually, coldforge, the young Ginsberg being interviewed (James Franco) resembles you more than Ginsberg - seriously! Must be the black beard.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2012, 10:23:34 PM by fishjim » Logged

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
coldforge

« Reply #353 on: Jan 02, 2012, 12:22:30 AM »

Yo I ain't write none of them gay ass Frisco pomes

č l'era del terzo mondo.
fishjim

« Reply #354 on: Jan 02, 2012, 12:33:37 AM »

Well, not yet anyways  Heart

But yeah, I see you in the more hetero Jeffers tradition of the Monterey coast - hauling stones from the sea to build your writing fortress and so on.

coldforge

« Reply #355 on: Jan 02, 2012, 12:38:42 AM »

Which a them was that zen ass nigga?

č l'era del terzo mondo.
milly balgeary

« Reply #356 on: Jan 02, 2012, 12:44:04 AM »

The flirtation was making fishjim uneasy. He shook his head. He didn't know what to write next. He stared at his computer screen.

coldforge

« Reply #357 on: Jan 02, 2012, 12:47:50 AM »

Ga'HOOOOOOOLE

č l'era del terzo mondo.
milly balgeary

« Reply #358 on: Jan 02, 2012, 12:54:17 AM »

Shyly, Milly Balgeary shook his head. He had been drinking red wine excessively and his face was flushed.

G.C.R

« Reply #359 on: Jan 02, 2012, 12:59:39 AM »

I didn't make it through Howl or the Ga'Hoole Owls shit. Howl was fine when it was about Ginsberg, and I tought Franco did a good job, but when it was a courtroom drama with Jon fucking Hamm it bored me. And its pretty hard to bore me if David Strathairn is present.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
fishjim

« Reply #360 on: Jan 02, 2012, 01:45:37 AM »

I didn't make it through Howl or the Ga'Hoole Owls shit. Howl was fine when it was about Ginsberg, and I tought Franco did a good job, but when it was a courtroom drama with Jon fucking Hamm it bored me. And its pretty hard to bore me if David Strathairn is present.

Fair enough. My tears definitely weren't for Jon Hamm.

CF - yeah, I'd say Ginsberg was more Buddhist than Jewish in practice, but he's also a Blake nut, which is like being a Swedenborg nut - all bets are off.
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2012, 01:47:31 AM by fishjim » Logged

coldforge

« Reply #361 on: Jan 02, 2012, 01:57:58 AM »

i was actually talking about snyder.

č l'era del terzo mondo.
fishjim

« Reply #362 on: Jan 02, 2012, 02:38:52 AM »

Snyder for sure.

OT: Continuing my New Year's film binge, I just finished one that should have had me sobbing but didn't. Too bleak. It's a 2005 doc called The Devil's Miner, about silver mines in Bolivia.

The miners the film follows are 12 and 10 years old.

Kind of don't want to fall asleep now, but here goes.
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2012, 02:50:04 AM by fishjim » Logged

Trousers and Pat

« Reply #363 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:06:15 PM »

Trying to decide which movie to go see tonight. It's between :

Take Shelter
The Mill and The Cross (after gcr recs)
A dangerous Method
Alvin and the Chipmunks 3 (kill me kill me kill me)

what do you lot advice? Which film is the best? while drinking?

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
Nick Ink

« Reply #364 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:09:23 PM »

I'm still off work, so I watched a couple more films yesterday and today - Mr.Nice (Rhys Evans in a Howard marks biopic) and Moon (Sam Rockwell). I thought they were both worth seeing, but especially Moon which was nearly great.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
edison

« Reply #365 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:10:45 PM »

I haven't seen any of the other three, but Take Shelter, clearly

(in response to T&P)
edison

« Reply #366 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:13:09 PM »

Although let me know what you think if you go for A Dangerous Method - I think I'll eventually drag my ass to the theatre to see it, but I'm not very fascinated about the subject
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #367 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:19:20 PM »

I feel pretty good about that recommendation.
I think I have similar reservations about the subject of dangerous method too. but I feel myself somehow drawn to it regardless...

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
edison

« Reply #368 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:27:52 PM »

My reasoning is "it's Cronenberg, so it's gotta be interesting", but if it were anyone else, I probably wouldn't bother... I saw Take Shelter at a festival in September, and had a few minor reservations, but it's still really great and will probably be my favorite movie of 2012 for a while (especially as there's virtually no competition, it seems). Plus GCR recommended it too, so...
Maaik

« Reply #369 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:33:18 PM »

January first, I spent the evening watching Melancholia. Seemed like as good a way as any to start the new year.

I particularly liked Keifer Sutherland in it. So according the the addage, I'll be liking Keifer Sutherland for the rest of the year. How exciting!

I need anne the man lessons
peacocks

« Reply #370 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:51:40 PM »

Keifer Sutherland is in it? Shit, no one told me that. Maybe I should see it.

I think I watched American Graffiti on January first. I had never seen it but have been listening to the soundtrack for years. I liked it very much. For the rest of the year I guess I'll be talking like Wolfman Jack.

dick-check your priviledge
peacocks

« Reply #371 on: Jan 04, 2012, 03:02:31 PM »

oh, about American Graffiti. The end, where they have little blurbs on what became of the characters. That kind of fucked up the whole feeling of the movie for me. I appreciate the reality of it, but this quote says Lucas was trying to make

a film where, essentially, we can get rid of some of those frustrations, the feeling that everything seems futile.

and the little things at the end did the opposite! It's ok though.

dick-check your priviledge
auto-da-fey

« Reply #372 on: Jan 04, 2012, 03:49:53 PM »

Iraq in Fragments is by far my favorite Iraq War movie... but that says very little, doesn't it? Heh. No, it's a really gorgeous, powerful, meditative, etc. documentary. Not as polemical as Taxi to the Dark Side (which I also recommend) but nonetheless inspiring. So, yes, in short, I strongly recommend it, as well as its director's 2001 documentary, Gaza Strip.

okay, queued, though any cred I built by repping for Jeanne Dielman is probably lost by the fact that How High comes first.

Oh man, these were the days. I mean, I was miserable, drinking too much, and engaging in emotionally unhealthy and probably not even physically hygienic relationship drama, but I did enjoy posting about movies all the time for about three solid years while my life was in a massive slump.

It took some time, but I finally got around to Iraq in Fragments. Good call on the rec, hannah--agreed with your assessment, completely. The final sequence manages to flirt with Malickisms yet avoid turning drippy.

oh also I've been on a bit of a Kuchar brothers kick lately, loving them to death. People who have not seen Hold Me While I'm Naked should consider rectifying that. There's a screening of The Devil's Cleavage this weekend, so I'm gearing up.
G.C.R

« Reply #373 on: Jan 05, 2012, 01:43:43 AM »

Well, Hold me While I'm Naked and The Devil's Cleavage are certainly two of the best titles I've heard in a while.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
fishjim

« Reply #374 on: Jan 05, 2012, 01:44:52 AM »

I watched Inside Job yesterday (doco about why the financial crisis happened). It was good. Tbh I'm still not a lot clearer on how finance works, but someone on there said you could have a doctorate in math and some of that stuff still wouldn't make sense. I didn't realise the study of economics itself was so corrupted by the market, that's depressing. I feel like this is a constant gripe, but there were only two or three woman interviewed. There were a couple of high-up women who had declined to be interviewed for the film, but still. I think that may be just a general state of affairs rather than intentional bias by the director, at least. At the end it says we have to fight this market shite, but doesn't give many pointers on how to do that Sad

Just watched this. It's like the converse of Margin Call - totally NOT reductive about the mortgage crisis, but artless as fuck. Still, I learned a lot, particularly about Obama. Evidently he's got a thing for getting his ass nailed in public by Hank Paulson, Larry Summers, and Timothy Geithner.

Enough to make a guy want to abolish the Fed and join Babar & cbs on the Ron Paul bus.

Shocked

Wait, what'd I say?
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2012, 01:47:57 AM by fishjim » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: saw a talkie at the picture show: new film thread
Jump to: