Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:00:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658143 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 48 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Downtempo  (Read 1928 times)
davy

« on: Sep 30, 2011, 02:44:44 PM »

So, this week I've discovered that I'm pretty into downtempo music. I've always loved Nightmares on Wax and Air, but this week, prowling Spotify for good office-listening tunes, I've turned up a lot of stuff I really really dig, and it seems to all have one thing in common: somebody, somewhere, classifies it as downtempo. At the head of the pack has been Bonobo and Lemon Jelly, but I've also listened to a lot of Royksopp, RJD2, Herbaliser, and Mr. Scruff. I'm mainly using the Related Artists tab on Spotify for inspiration.

Anyone else here into downtempo? Who should I try next?

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Johnp

« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »

Try Animals On Wheels/Andrew Coleman on Ninja Tune (&Thrill Jockey).

Seems he's still going and has just released 8 free, digital EPs in the last 8 weeks: http://www.animalsonwheels.co.uk/

Nos vertus ne sont, le plus souvent, que des vices déguisés.
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2011, 04:15:46 AM »

Ninja Tune is probably the way to go. There's a two CD release called Cold Crush Cuts with a mix by Coldcut and another by DJ Krush. The DJ Crush CD is one of my favourite mixes and I can't recommend it enough.

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
Nick Ink

« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2011, 04:33:59 AM »

In the 90s I was into Ninja Tune stuff for a while - 9Lazy9, Funky Porcini, stuff like that.

There's also Cinematic Orchestra (on checking, I see they're also on NT), who probably fit your bill.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
davy

« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2012, 04:14:04 PM »

I've spent the past month or so at work creating the biggest mix of my life -- the ultimate downtempo jukebox. As far as office-listening goes, I've come to realize this stuff is ideal, compelling and propulsive enough to keep me engaged and productive, but not loud or crazy enough to be disturbing to others (I do work in a library, after all).

And there's a lot of this shit out there.

So I just started doing some research, digging up more and more downtempo artists, and then checking out their work on spotify. Seriously, thank god for spotify. The stuff that makes the cut gets dumped into this playlist -- sometimes I cherry-pick individual tunes; other times I add entire albums all at once. The "mix" is now about 800 songs -- or almost three days -- long, and I just lock it down on shuffle and let it go.

Some featured artists:

Nightmares on Wax
RJD2
Bonobo
Air
Aim
Animals on Wheels
Blockhead
Caribou
Enigma (!)
The Herbaliser
Lemon Jelly
Little People
Mr. Scruff
Pretty Lights
Royksopp
Thievery Corporation
Tosca
Tycho
Washed Out
Zero 7
...&tc

It's not all technically "downtempo," but most of it is, and what isn't is close enough. It's definitely all chill as FUCK, though. And I am loving it. And still adding to it, all the time.

I wanted to let you guys know, because it's on spotify, so you can check it out at work, too! And make suggestions! Here's the link:

URL: http://open.spotify.com/user/davygibbs/playlist/2EtKqFHyyoy5YCrY8nj0lP
spotify URI: spotify:user:davygibbs:playlist:2EtKqFHyyoy5YCrY8nj0lP

If neither of those work, just search for "downtempo jukebox" and it should come up under "Playlists."

Nick Ink

« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2012, 04:48:39 PM »

Boards Of Canada ought to be in there. I mean, you have Tycho - a bit like having Oasis and not the Beatles.

I know you dig Four Tet, and his Rounds album has a mellow vibe too.

Obvious suggestions, I know. I'll try to think of something more inspired. Cinematic Orchestra maybe?

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
alistarr*

« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2012, 01:05:54 PM »

You might quite enjoy the band I'm Not A Gun, based on some of that stuff - nice and unassuming propulsive rhythms and electronics with guitar accents. I really like their albums Our Lives On Wednesdays and We Think As Instruments. I guess they've done more stuff since then, but I haven't listened to any of it (yet).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSVbN6fOZTM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vD9bbb6-VM

Or just dig into Type City Centre Offices* records in general!

*amended by Nick Ink.
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2012, 01:42:34 PM by alistarr* » Logged
davy

« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2012, 01:17:10 PM »

Nice! Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I've been picking my way through Pretty Lights' body of work this week, but when I'm done, I'll investigate all those dudes.

Nick Ink

« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2012, 01:54:14 PM »

Or just dig into Type records in general!

They seem to be on City Center Offices, not Type? I think that's what you meant?

I love Type, but that stuff can get a bit dark and droney for this thread, I'd have thought - Dead Center, William Fowler Collins, Pete Swanson!

alistarr*

« Reply #9 on: Apr 10, 2012, 02:44:48 PM »

Apologies, I have a hideous cold and am struggling to think properly - thanks for being my fact-checking cuz. Yes, you're right, I did mean City Centre Offices - they have loads of that kind of stuff.
davy

« Reply #10 on: Apr 10, 2012, 03:47:30 PM »

I know you dig Four Tet, and his Rounds album has a mellow vibe too.

You know, but I'd forgotten! And what a serious omission that was!

milly balgeary

« Reply #11 on: Apr 10, 2012, 08:00:43 PM »

So, this week I've discovered that I'm pretty into downtempo music. I've always loved Nightmares on Wax and Air, but this week, prowling Spotify for good office-listening tunes, I've turned up a lot of stuff I really really dig, and it seems to all have one thing in common: somebody, somewhere, classifies it as downtempo. At the head of the pack has been Bonobo and Lemon Jelly, but I've also listened to a lot of Royksopp, RJD2, Herbaliser, and Mr. Scruff. I'm mainly using the Related Artists tab on Spotify for inspiration.

Anyone else here into downtempo? Who should I try next?

I checked out your spotify playlist for downtempo. I must say I prefer cherry picked, the playlist.

davy

« Reply #12 on: Apr 11, 2012, 09:12:14 AM »

The problem with cherry-picked is that it will never get finished, and the incredible incompleteness of it galls me.

May I recommend a new playlist of mine called FUN, which is basically "cherry-picked" minus any slow songs.

Also, I noticed that you liked a Reptar song. It may interest you to know that their debut album is coming out the first week of May. It's called Body Faucet.

milly balgeary

« Reply #13 on: Apr 12, 2012, 05:36:07 AM »

That Reptar song is fun. I grabbed that EP but haven't had a chance to dive into i

davy

« Reply #14 on: Apr 12, 2012, 10:41:20 AM »

Also, check out Houseboat Babies. Their first single, and probably still my favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rDvuTWk4rc

It's not on the EP. Not sure if it'll be on the album or not.

Reptar is comfortably resting at the top of the heap in Athens right now.

davy

« Reply #15 on: Apr 12, 2012, 10:55:09 AM »

Here's a question: why, on all the "best downtempo" lists I've been scanning, do I always see the same half-dozen albums by Tricky, Massive Attack, and Portishead?

I mean, those groups don't sound anything like my perception of downtempo! And aren't they like the very essence of trip hop? I see the stylistic similarities between trip hop and downtempo, but in my view they're still two very different genres.

To me, the best downtempo sounds like soul music and jazz, updated with electronic elements such as drum loops and ambient textures. I don't get that out of trip hop, which always seemed much more focused on the vocal aspect. My favorite downtempo music is largely instrumental, though I can enjoy the occasional guest vocalist, i.e. Royksopp's "Remind Me."
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2012, 11:11:22 AM by davy » Logged

davy

« Reply #16 on: Apr 12, 2012, 03:08:55 PM »

Now I'm onto Squarepusher, which is certainly fitting the bill. Jesus there's a lot of Squarepusher out there. A little more drum & bass, but it's mellow enough.

Edit: Hm. Nevermind. I was excited at first listen, but the drum loops are just too frenetic. Not calming, not chill. Not downtempo. I do love those keyboard sounds, though.
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2012, 03:22:26 PM by davy » Logged

davy

« Reply #17 on: Apr 12, 2012, 09:01:58 PM »

RJD2, though, I'm in love with that shit.  Heart

Ignatius

« Reply #18 on: Apr 12, 2012, 11:31:31 PM »

It's funny, because I bought the Soul Position EP in 2003 in Ft. Collins, CO at the Aggie... I was there to see atmosphere, but I got kicked out pretty early, along with my host for drinking Fat Tire in the bathroom. But, like a kid does, I went to the merch table before that and picked the thing with the highest appealing/price ratio.

I liked it a lot, and I HAD to buy Deadringer when it came out... I liked some of what was called IDM back then, and I loved the Trip Hop heavyweights, but I had no context whatsoever for RJD2, even as a guy who was into basically Def Jux everything. I guess I knew it was hip hop, somehow, but.. I didn't care much for somehow then or now.

This is all a way of saying - I too, was in love with that shit.
davy

« Reply #19 on: Apr 13, 2012, 10:37:35 AM »

So wait...you did or did not like RJD2?

Haha, The Aggie...I went there once. A Lucero show. What a shitty venue.

Ignatius

« Reply #20 on: Apr 14, 2012, 01:27:29 AM »

I loved RJD2. Deadringer probably helped convince me that the thing that hooked me about underground rap at that point wasn't actually the rap at all. Frontier Psychiatrist came out of storage right around that time, as well.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #21 on: Apr 15, 2012, 08:54:57 PM »

Davy, maybe this could be your gateway into rap: RJD2 and Four Tet ---> Cannibal Ox and El-P ---> cLOUDDEAD and Subtle ---> Main Attrakionz/Green Ova and Antipop ---> Etc, through the rest of hip-hop ---> BasedGod

But yeah, Deadringer and Rounds are bangers.
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2012, 08:59:41 PM by dieblucasdie » Logged

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Pages: [1]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Downtempo
Jump to: