Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:09:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658017 Posts in 9261 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 38 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
Author Topic: BIKE EVERY DAY  (Read 13260 times)
El_Josharino

« Reply #125 on: Jul 11, 2012, 10:05:12 PM »

Man, too many of my friends getting hit by cars lately.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
elpollodiablo

« Reply #126 on: Jul 11, 2012, 11:18:10 PM »

That sucks, Josho. I'm super careful--like way more careful than I see anyone else on the streets of NYC being--and I'm still shit terrified of it happening to me.

think 'on the road.'
The_Tourist

« Reply #127 on: Jul 11, 2012, 11:25:17 PM »

my best friend just got hit in sf the other day. Sad

a confused tourist made a right turn for no reason (it was a sidewalk) and now my friend needs rotator cuff surgery.

we have the money for missiles and fun
El_Josharino

« Reply #128 on: Jul 11, 2012, 11:28:36 PM »

I actually used to be really timid until I got hit a couple years ago. Since then I've been way more assertive, riding right in the middle of lanes rather than way toward the right, just in the hopes of being seen better/keeping others more aware, but I've also gotten better at keeping an eye on what's going on around me and recognizing when someone's not paying attention. Still had some close calls, though. When I'm biking in Chicago I see dudes tearing around at night with no lights or helmets and blowing through signals, and I'm just like, "Dang, dudes are crazy."

But man, my buddy Jerod in Chicago got hit yesterday, and he's just getting over a broken leg from the last time he got hit (he rides with a helmet and lights, though), and another close friend in Denver got beaten up pretty bad today, dunno to what extent just yet, but enough to visit the ER.

El_Josharino

« Reply #129 on: Jul 11, 2012, 11:30:26 PM »

rotator cuff surgery.

Ugh, this is the worst part about it. It's always shit like this, or broken collarbones or something, not something you can just ice down and wrap up for a few days.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #130 on: Jul 11, 2012, 11:43:45 PM »

When I'm biking in Chicago I see dudes tearing around at night with no lights or helmets and blowing through signals, and I'm just like, "Dang, dudes are crazy."

That's putting it pretty charitably. I routinely see dudes here going at full clip against traffic on one way streets with their hands on their pockets/on top of their heads, shooting through intersections without looking, zipping past cars with their turn signals on, etc.

think 'on the road.'
El_Josharino

« Reply #131 on: Jul 12, 2012, 08:54:41 AM »

close friend in Denver got beaten up pretty bad today, dunno to what extent just yet, but enough to visit the ER.

Stitches in his nose and lip, and a pretty wicked concussion (like, has to be reminded every couple hours why he's in the hospital wicked). Fuckin' scary.

The_Tourist

« Reply #132 on: Jul 14, 2012, 04:20:52 PM »

ouch...shitty injuries all around. but like josh said, i think the fact that i "learned to ride" on LA streets helped me a lot in the sense of being aware and assertive. taking the lane, avoiding situations before they happen (watching the drivers' heads to predict their next move, making eye contact at crossings, etc.), and knowing when to yield or assert my presence. but, you know, sometimes it's better to just putter along down a residential street.

i somehow got jam or juice or some other sticky bright red substance splattered down my crank arm.
but it looks like blood, so i'm gonna leave it for as long as possible.

cold before sunrise

« Reply #133 on: Jul 16, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »

i know the ratio of injuries to people on the hill in whistler is significantly higher in the summer (judging by the number of folks hobbling around the village on crutches and in casts), that downhill biking is significantly more dangerous than snowboarding, but this conversation is making commuting sound like a blood sport.

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #134 on: Jul 16, 2012, 12:03:27 PM »

Elston Ave has those new dedicated bike lanes now. Pretty sweet, hope it becomes standard along other bike routes.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #135 on: Jul 16, 2012, 12:12:44 PM »

Which section of Elston? They'd do better getting rid of some surface issues than putting up cones on some parts IMO but I do like the new protected lanes in general

cones or pylons or posts or whatever the fuck you want to call them. "Protected" is a relative term, take a look at some of those posts (flattened or missing) on Kinzie and see how well they protect anything. But still I really am in favor of them
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2012, 12:16:48 PM by YojimboMonkey » Logged

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
jebreject

« Reply #136 on: Jul 16, 2012, 02:13:30 PM »

Big ride this coming weekend! Excited and scared!

My legs have decided to not waste any time and just go ahead and start hurting right now

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #137 on: Jul 16, 2012, 02:26:53 PM »

Which section of Elston? They'd do better getting rid of some surface issues than putting up cones on some parts IMO but I do like the new protected lanes in general

cones or pylons or posts or whatever the fuck you want to call them. "Protected" is a relative term, take a look at some of those posts (flattened or missing) on Kinzie and see how well they protect anything. But still I really am in favor of them

Along Elston (between like Armitage and Milwaukee). Some sections are the pylons, but for a large section of it, they moved the bike lane right next to the sidewalk, and the street parking to where the bike lane used to be, so there are parked cars between the traffic lane and the bike lane. I think it's some sort of pilot program; it'd be awesome if they did that across other bike routes.

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #138 on: Jul 16, 2012, 02:42:17 PM »

That stretch between Division & North I think is mostly what I'm thinking of when I say it needs surface work. It's so industrial, the pavement is always fucked up (and the most fucked up part is always right on the bike lanes for some reason), plus there are old unused train track ruts that should be filled in, plus there's always just so damn much debris, gravel and such. I should ride it and check the new lanes though, that's exciting. Protected bike lanes there are huge 'cause people drive crazy fast along there (myself included) and don't always pay attention to lines on the road*. It would be even huger north of Armitage, where cars will take over the bike lane and run up your ass honking at you like you're the asshole.

*  myself not included as I'm always looking out for bikes & respect bike lanes but to be honest that road wanders all over the place and there aren't really any lines to speak of IIRC, sometimes at an intersection if you don't know the road it can be hard to tell which is Elston and which is the side street, etc
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2012, 02:49:32 PM by YojimboMonkey » Logged

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #139 on: Jul 16, 2012, 03:00:28 PM »

Oh yeah, it's definitely been repaved as part of it.

edit:

Here's some pictures of it:

http://gridchicago.com/2012/elston-avenue-bike-lane-returns-in-upgraded-form/

Though they've added pylons since. You can see off in the distance where the they've moved the street parking.

I think the plan is to do it all the way along Elston when they do this:

https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/cdot/supp_info/damen-elston-fullertonintersectionimprovement.html

It's going to be sooooo much better for both drivers and cyclists. That Fullerton/Damen/Elston intersection is such a clusterfuck right now.
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2012, 03:11:23 PM by dieblucasdie » Logged

The_Tourist

« Reply #140 on: Jul 17, 2012, 01:29:15 PM »

portland needs to do some serious street sweeping. there's more broken glass here than any city i've seen.

i've seen street sweepers driving around once or twice, but they don't have any no parking for sweeping days or anything like that, so i don't know when they use them.

way too many flats.

justinh

« Reply #141 on: Jul 17, 2012, 08:02:21 PM »

My new pad has a dedicated personal bike garage on the laneway out back.  I'm stoked. 

I'm also hoping that not living at the top of a hill makes me more motivated to choose biking over the tram. 
clare

« Reply #142 on: Jul 17, 2012, 08:05:20 PM »

That is so cool! Did you guys move already?

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
justinh

« Reply #143 on: Jul 17, 2012, 08:08:21 PM »

Not yet--we get the keys on Friday and fully move on Monday (because of course movers (removalists?) don't work on weekends). 
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #144 on: Jul 18, 2012, 11:59:55 AM »

The other day while I was locking up my downtown bike at the train station where it would be left overnight, there was a dude hanging out by the bike rack, and he slow-walked by checking out my bike, then slow-walked by again in the other direction, then stood there looking at it while I finished locking it up, and was leaning on a post right near the rack as I was walking away.

I don't know, I thought it was weird and that maybe he was planning on grabbing my bike and I figured if that was going to happen I wanted a record of who'd done it so I got out my phone and started taking pictures of him and then he walked away.

So who's the weirdo, me or him?

The bike, which I just got a few months ago:

guess I won't post a picture of the dude

peacocks

« Reply #145 on: Jul 18, 2012, 12:28:21 PM »

I actually used to be really timid until I got hit a couple years ago. Since then I've been way more assertive, riding right in the middle of lanes rather than way toward the right, just in the hopes of being seen better/keeping others more aware, but I've also gotten better at keeping an eye on what's going on around me and recognizing when someone's not paying attention. Still had some close calls, though. When I'm biking in Chicago I see dudes tearing around at night with no lights or helmets and blowing through signals, and I'm just like, "Dang, dudes are crazy."

But man, my buddy Jerod in Chicago got hit yesterday, and he's just getting over a broken leg from the last time he got hit (he rides with a helmet and lights, though), and another close friend in Denver got beaten up pretty bad today, dunno to what extent just yet, but enough to visit the ER.

Jees I hope your dude is ok! I feel like I'm more assertive now too after getting hit but I was right in the middle of my lane when that guy hit me, which is one of the complaints he had about me, "you were in the middle of the road!" and I was like "....I know."

I still have to bike that intersection a lot and it wigs me out a bit.

dick-check your priviledge
peacocks

« Reply #146 on: Jul 18, 2012, 12:30:03 PM »

xp lol jim you should have gone up to him and been like "hey, what's your name? I need some info in case you try to steal my bike later, thanks!"

elpollodiablo

« Reply #147 on: Jul 22, 2012, 09:27:59 AM »

Jeb's on day two of a 150mi weekend! Go jeb go!

I did a couple of longish ones this weekend, including this one in Manhattan this morning:
http://goo.gl/K1BuJ

think 'on the road.'
jebreject

« Reply #148 on: Jul 22, 2012, 11:55:21 PM »

And boy are my legs tired

No one would fault me for calling in sick tomorrow right?

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
peacocks

« Reply #149 on: Jul 22, 2012, 11:59:05 PM »

way to go dude! of course you should call in! I wouldn't have taken monday off in advance, that's a crazy ride you just did.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: BIKE EVERY DAY
Jump to: