Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:12:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658104 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 59 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Now We Only Care About Rap  (Read 23129 times)
shai faithe

« Reply #50 on: Nov 02, 2011, 05:50:47 PM »

wrong

Chet

« Reply #51 on: Nov 02, 2011, 05:52:04 PM »

so it's like a dingbats thing huh

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
jebreject

« Reply #52 on: Nov 02, 2011, 06:11:01 PM »

Try listening to "I'm Gay" and see what you think of that. That might be a good way to ease you in to the world of the BASEGOD

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Chet

« Reply #53 on: Nov 02, 2011, 06:24:31 PM »

ok there's a song with a spirited away sample. that's pretty boss.

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
dieblucasdie

« Reply #54 on: Nov 02, 2011, 06:53:52 PM »

Just download like 10 mixtapes at random and listen to nothing else until you get it

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
ellaguru

« Reply #55 on: Nov 02, 2011, 06:57:40 PM »

To be fair, if you just go and listen to one or two Lil B songs at random, it would be very, very easy to end up hearing awful stuff. You kinda hafta just jump into basedworld with both feet.

Which is what blucas said. I should finish reading threads before I reply to stuff.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
Brian Doherty

« Reply #56 on: Nov 02, 2011, 09:22:11 PM »

Is this Lil' B thing an inside joke because I caught up on some of his stuff on youtube and it was awful.

i think i said this same thing in another thread---the 5 or 7 Lil B tracks I heard via Spotify all seemed just silly dumb and goofy. I don't get it. I still don't get Tyler either to start a different fight---I still swear that in attitude and theme he's basically early Eminem (confused angry kid mad at world with "comic" bursts of misogyny, misfamousyny, and violence), but with superdreary delivery and attention-straining tracks. I think I might only like "pop" rap and not "art" rap. I absolutely swear Drake makes better records than Tyler. Kill me now!

Thermofusion

« Reply #57 on: Nov 02, 2011, 09:49:37 PM »

I can hear Antero headdesking from 2500 miles away

Also while I'm Gay is one of my favorites of the year, I still maintain it's not the greatest intro to Lil B. Like, it contains very little of what I love about Lil B.

triple paisley minimum
jm

« Reply #58 on: Nov 02, 2011, 09:51:47 PM »

I don't know what Thermo likes about Lil B that I'm Gay doesn't have enough of, but for me, the answer to that is Rain in England.

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
jebreject

« Reply #59 on: Nov 02, 2011, 09:59:22 PM »

I don't know what Thermo likes about Lil B that I'm Gay doesn't have enough of, but for me, the answer to that is Rain in England.

Yes. Totally.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Thermofusion

« Reply #60 on: Nov 02, 2011, 10:13:32 PM »

I liked the line Antero had when  I'm Gay dropped -- something about how it's Lil B as fractured classicist. To me it feels hemmed in by its own constraints, like Lil B set out to (and succeeded at) making a very specific kind of rap album. I think Lil B's new age stuff and his swag/cooking stuff follow their own internal logic, too, but the results are a lot more interesting/unconventional. That said, I love I'm Gay and would happily listen to another "conventional" rap record from the #basedgod

triple paisley minimum
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #61 on: Nov 02, 2011, 10:24:43 PM »

like Lil B set out to (and succeeded at) making a very specific kind of rap album.

yep, this is how i feel about im gay as well.

i think angels exodus, his other official release this year, is a good sampling of all the levels of basedworld.

Antero

« Reply #62 on: Nov 02, 2011, 10:32:58 PM »

I can hear Antero headdesking from 2500 miles away
YEP

Also while I'm Gay is one of my favorites of the year, I still maintain it's not the greatest intro to Lil B. Like, it contains very little of what I love about Lil B.
I agree.  Lil B can be great in classicist mode, but it also limits his experimentation to his own inherent weirdness.  The shit that really gets me going is, say, massive psychedelic anthems "Realist Alive" or "I'm God," or the unbridled weirdness of the myspace days, or the stuff like that song on Illusions of Grandeur where he emphasizes his breaths and gasping in between lines over the lines themselves.

God, Lil B is such a great artist.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #63 on: Nov 02, 2011, 10:36:14 PM »

to add to my previous post i think all of lil b's best material is spread evenly among i'm thraxx and 6 kiss but both are uneven and lengthy.

Brian Doherty

« Reply #64 on: Nov 02, 2011, 11:02:42 PM »

Like, is "rich Bitch" just making fun of the overuse of the word "swag"? Seriously, this sounds like totally uninteresting bullshit to me. I don't like being that way about an artist lots of intelligent people really like, but....really?

Brian Doherty

« Reply #65 on: Nov 02, 2011, 11:04:57 PM »

I used to be somewhat of a Kool Keith fan without going out of my way to get a lot of his stuff---was blown away with perplexity by SPANKMASTER in particular. I'm sort of feeling Lil B as the same TYPE of rapper/mind, am I totally off? But one whose weirdness isn't clever enough for me. Or too clever for me.

Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #66 on: Nov 02, 2011, 11:14:05 PM »

dude you're like listening to a compilation of his youtube cooking tracks because if i remember correctly that's all spotify has

Brian Doherty

« Reply #67 on: Nov 02, 2011, 11:16:34 PM »

dude you're like listening to a compilation of his youtube cooking tracks because if i remember correctly that's all spotify has

I'm listening to an lp called EVERYTHING BASED and it is completely terrible. I'm pretty confident I will never see any merit in it. Dinky swirly overly messy tracks and just plain dumb and plodding delivery. And the word SWAG being repeated on every other beat.

Brian Doherty

« Reply #68 on: Nov 02, 2011, 11:20:11 PM »

I stopped during track 6, "Wonton Soup." I can only imagine even believing there is any quality to this as an absurdist gag, and I've gotten the impression from press he is an absurd character, but as a listening or aesthetic experience this is.....not for me, I guess is the best way to say it to a room full of people who really dig the guy here.

dieblucasdie

« Reply #69 on: Nov 02, 2011, 11:29:11 PM »

like Lil B set out to (and succeeded at) making a very specific kind of rap album.

yep, this is how i feel about im gay as well.

i think angels exodus, his other official release this year, is a good sampling of all the levels of basedworld.

Also Red Flame:  Devil Music Edition.  I feel like that one kind of got lost in the shuffle, but it's really solid and surprisingly consistent.  I've actually probably listened to it more often than I'm Gay

Brian, I mean, BasedGod is definitely more polarizing than it seems from the rap threads here (it's completely unsurprising to me that Gandalfs fans would be down with Lil B), so, you know, he might just not be your thing.  If you want to give him more of a shot, though, it's not like Spotify is your only option.  Dude has put out an insane amount of free music.  Just go on datpiff on livemixtapes.  

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Antero

« Reply #70 on: Nov 02, 2011, 11:43:55 PM »

Like, is "rich Bitch" just making fun of the overuse of the word "swag"?
Lollin'.  

"Rich Bitch", like most of the other swag-raps, are mostly about simultaneously reifying and parodying the absurdity of rap braggadocio.  And some read as simultaneously reifying and parodying his reifications and parodies.  And so on.

Relevant description:
Speaking of his basedness, "The Original" off of The Silent President is one of the most brutal things I've ever seen anyone do to a genre.  It's basically a sustained assault on everything you expect from a rap song.
It's also a sustained assault on Lil B, The "Wanton Soup" Youtube Sensation.

Kool Keith's weirdness is contained within the realm of the musical - weird lyrics, weird sounds, sonic complexity.  Lil B's weirdness is even more uncomfortable because he's fucking with the basic assumptions underlying the genre.

Antero

« Reply #71 on: Nov 02, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »

Also, yeah, you're totally listening to a compilation of cooking tracks.  That's what Everything Based is, 100% aside from the Joe Budden diss track at the end.

Brian Doherty

« Reply #72 on: Nov 02, 2011, 11:46:28 PM »

This explanation makes perfect sense to me, and I think I even "get it" though i still don't think I'll ever enjoy listening to it. Thx,

Antero

« Reply #73 on: Nov 03, 2011, 12:08:06 AM »

But what about this?

fishjim

« Reply #74 on: Nov 03, 2011, 12:13:56 AM »

I'd be a bottom for Lil' B.
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2011, 12:53:18 AM by fishjim » Logged

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Now We Only Care About Rap
Jump to: