Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 22, 2014, 04:53:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658305 Posts in 9264 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 47 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 27
Print
Author Topic: You can touch a Hot Stove, just not for very long (Baseball thread)  (Read 19512 times)
davy

« Reply #125 on: Feb 17, 2012, 04:13:01 PM »

Every year that goes by, I get more excited about baseball, and excited earlier, than the year before.

FAN FOR LIFE.  Heart

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Thermofusion

« Reply #126 on: Feb 17, 2012, 04:21:09 PM »

Man, that is so great. I miss the guy. I miss the Expos, too, for what's it's worth.

triple paisley minimum
Thermofusion

« Reply #127 on: Feb 17, 2012, 04:30:04 PM »

Every year that goes by, I get more excited about baseball, and excited earlier, than the year before.

FAN FOR LIFE.  Heart

I have pretty boss plans for the last weekend of May: driving up to Pittsburgh with a friend to see Ben Folds perform with the Pittsburgh Symphony, and catching the Buccos against the Cubs on Saturday and Sunday. Plans to take in an Orioles game with my dad are also in the works. I'll probably make it to a Nats game at some point. The holy grail remains NEW MARLINS STADIUM.

I guess Burnett to PIT is a done deal. I like it, if only because I like it anytime the Pirates demonstrate a willingness to actually spend money. I don't follow the Yankees, but I know the NY media tends to grossly exaggerate all successes and failures so I don't really know how bad he actually is. I'm sure going from the AL East to the NL Central will help, as will getting the fuck out of that home-run-orgy park he's been pitching in.

triple paisley minimum
El_Josharino

« Reply #128 on: Feb 17, 2012, 04:52:51 PM »

Yeah, he's been not great to decent in his stint with the Yanks, but he was pretty unlucky last year. Regression plus the move to a much more hitter-friendly park (LHBs in NYY hit 43% more homers than league average, RHBs 15% higher vs PIT where LH HR's are 99% of league average and RH HR's are 73%, so he should see home runs allowed drop noticably.) Pit has made some decent moves this offseason, for where they're at. They've got a team shouldn't be awful, and if they stumble into contention they're in a pretty good spot to make some quick upgrades.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
Thermofusion

« Reply #129 on: Feb 18, 2012, 02:38:28 AM »

Good analysis, was kind of suspecting his high # of HRs was statistically anomalous/due to New Yankee Stadium. And yeah I see this as a crucial season for the Bucs, as this is the last season they'll have both the Astros and Cubs standing by to assist in artificially inflating their win column. No Prince or Pujols may help as well.

Also, let's all tip our hats to ol' Tim Wakefield, who was until today one of only two (2) active MLB players who've ever been part of a Bucs club with a winning record ('92). I'll miss watching his gorgeous knuckler in high-def.

triple paisley minimum
El_Josharino

« Reply #130 on: Feb 18, 2012, 01:20:38 PM »

Also, let's all tip our hats to ol' Tim Wakefield, who was until today one of only two (2) active MLB players who've ever been part of a Bucs club with a winning record ('92). I'll miss watching his gorgeous knuckler in high-def.

Oh shit, great trivia. Who's the other?

El_Josharino

« Reply #131 on: Feb 18, 2012, 01:23:41 PM »

Figured it out! Miguel Batista, right?

Thermofusion

« Reply #132 on: Feb 18, 2012, 02:22:58 PM »

Yep, nicely done! Miguel pitched two innings of relief for the Bucs in April '92. Another bit of trivia about Wakefield: he's also the last pitcher to win a playoff game for the Pirates, in this case against Tom Glavine in Game 6 of the '92 NLCS down at old Fulton County Stadium.

triple paisley minimum
Thermofusion

« Reply #133 on: Feb 20, 2012, 04:58:09 PM »

Manny to Oakland...

AL West is gonna be fun this year. Even Seattle is interesting, what with the Jesus Montero pickup

triple paisley minimum
El_Josharino

« Reply #134 on: Feb 20, 2012, 07:29:01 PM »

Oakland realizes they can only have one DH at a time, right?

Thermofusion

« Reply #135 on: Feb 20, 2012, 10:25:43 PM »

I'm curious to see who's going to DH for them until Manny can actually play, as he has to sit out the first 50 games because of the PED thing

triple paisley minimum
El_Josharino

« Reply #136 on: Feb 21, 2012, 12:04:56 AM »

Probably some combination of Cespedes, Seth Smith, Johnny Gomes, Kila Ka'aihue, Chris Carter, Brandon Allen, and Daric Barton. Seriously, their DH/First Base/Corner Outfield situation is completely ridiculous.

El_Josharino

« Reply #137 on: Feb 21, 2012, 12:06:37 AM »

Hey Thermo, tell me how you feel about this idea: I just thought that a great thing would be a huge hat, kind of like those fruit basket hats in all the old Looney Tunes gags, except instead of a big tall fruit basket, the hat was the Marlins home run thing, with a battery pack in there somewhere so that the thing actually worked. How much would you pay for that? I think I'd go up to $80.

Thermofusion

« Reply #138 on: Feb 21, 2012, 12:11:37 AM »

Hah, shit, you could coax $100 outta me for one of those, then I'll flip it on eBay for half a G after the inevitable cease and desist arrives in your mailbox from Miami

triple paisley minimum
El_Josharino

« Reply #139 on: Feb 21, 2012, 12:25:29 AM »

In other news, grantland generally isn't very good, blah blah, but this is a pretty great read:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7593528/sam-fuld-tampa-bay-rays-win-new-york-yankees-game-162-2011-regular-season

It's Sam Fuld's account of the last day of the regular season as the Rays game and Boston loss progressed.

Thermofusion

« Reply #140 on: Feb 21, 2012, 12:46:04 AM »

Yeah, great piece. Also, wow:

The little segment of the Trop's left-field wall, just right of the foul pole looking out from home plate, spans only 20 feet and can't be much more than four feet high. It's a dream for left fielders like me who can touch a basketball rim only on a good day, because there's no way I'm robbing homers anywhere else. Nobody really knows why it's like that in left field there are a lot of things at the Trop that nobody really knows about. Jeff Niemann, a guy whose knees can probably see over that part of the wall, once told me that in his three-plus years with the Rays, he'd seen it come into play exactly ONCE.

Make it twice. After B.J. Upton struck out, Longo did his best right-handed Dan Johnson impersonation, driving a misplaced fastball just past the foul pole and barely over that elusive piece of left-field wall. Off the bat, I thought Evan had a sure ground-rule double. Watching the replay later, it reminded me of Mark McGwire's record-breaking 62nd homer in '98. It had to be the shortest home run in Tropicana Field history, both in distance and time.

triple paisley minimum
El_Josharino

« Reply #141 on: Feb 23, 2012, 05:18:14 PM »

Braun won his appeal! No suspension! Fuck yes!

El_Josharino

« Reply #142 on: Feb 23, 2012, 05:21:42 PM »

Oh man, and apparently the MLB is PISSED.

Thermofusion

« Reply #143 on: Feb 23, 2012, 05:41:21 PM »

Mixed emotions: on the one hand, I love seeing MLB's nose getting rubbed in its own shit. On the other hand, I was kinda selfishly hoping for a Braun-less NL Central for the first third of the season.

triple paisley minimum
El_Josharino

« Reply #144 on: Feb 23, 2012, 07:06:37 PM »

This could get interesting. The story that I'm hearing is that an employee of the drug testing agency didn't take the sample to FedEx right away on the Saturday the sample was taken because he thought they were closed, waited until Monday to send it in, and because of the wait between the sample being taken and so since proper procedure wasn't taken Braunie's not guilty. It'll be interesting to see if any other players who've been previously punished try to appeal to clear their names now that precedent has been set.

El_Josharino

« Reply #145 on: Feb 23, 2012, 07:07:47 PM »

I'm happy for Braun, though. Seems like a stand-up dude.

jebreject

« Reply #146 on: Feb 23, 2012, 07:34:48 PM »

I'm happy for Braun, though. Seems like a stand-up dude.

Sure is, and a hell of a ballplayer. I'm ecstatic about this, of course.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
davy

« Reply #147 on: Feb 24, 2012, 08:54:43 AM »

Ok, but I'm new to this story, so what I'm wondering is: did he do it or not?

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
El_Josharino

« Reply #148 on: Feb 24, 2012, 09:35:31 AM »

Well he's never tested positive, so...

dumbfish

« Reply #149 on: Feb 24, 2012, 09:55:42 AM »

It depends on how much weight you put into the fact that they found synthetic testosterone in his sample. I doubt natural testo polymerizes into a synthetic format just because it was a few degrees too warm (or it would happen in the body). So that was either:a lie leaked to make the suspension more credible, the sample was contaminated, or he was juicing.

I think he, and many many others, is juicing at least a little bit. The incentive is too big and the risk too small.

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 27
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: You can touch a Hot Stove, just not for very long (Baseball thread)
Jump to: