Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:28:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658296 Posts in 9264 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 64 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Road Trip Games  (Read 1262 times)
davy

« on: Nov 22, 2011, 12:52:37 PM »

The internet sucks at suggesting fun games to play with two people in a car.

Maybe you guys have some favorites?

L & I are embarking on a 9-hour journey tomorrow from Athens to Mascoutah, IL to spend some holiday time with her family. She likes to play games in the car, and I've been tasked with providing some ideas.

One thing we could do is make lists: Our top three favorite _________. Fill my brain up with possibilities, please! I've got some serious road-trip-gamer's block right now.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2011, 12:56:40 PM »

I like the game "shut the hell up and listen to this mix CD I made for the trip"

sorry I am not helpful

Mascoutah is like 3 hours from Quincy. I'm driving to Quincy tonight but by the time you hit Mascoutah tomorrow I'll be in Kansas. Back in Quincy on Friday & Saturday but I doubt there'll be an opportunity for beers.

oh hey beers, that might be a fun car game

no wait that is a Bad Idea, sorry

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
kadiekatRN

« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2011, 01:03:57 PM »

I used to play a game where you'd race to find the letters of the alphabet on road signs.  It's a little juvenile, but I still play when I drive a long distance by myself.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »

1. finding places to HTS

2. competitive role-playing to see who can stay in character the longest*

3. combination 1 & 2

* even better if you read Kundera's "Hitchhiking Game" shortly beforehand
davy

« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »

Sounds like a creative way to break up, Whit!

But that's not really what I'm going for.

mixed cats

« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2011, 01:16:36 PM »

I used to play a game where you'd race to find the letters of the alphabet on road signs.  It's a little juvenile, but I still play when I drive a long distance by myself.
We do this! Fiind words that start with each letter (any X will do, though)

I look for license plates, but that's a running thing all year. I'm missing about ten states.

Bill always makes a playlist of stuff I know, and we sing along loudly and change all the words to be about food, the cats, or herpes.

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
auto-da-fey

« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2011, 01:18:06 PM »

naw, it's a lot of fun! certainly creepy middle-aged dad/teenage babysitter made Gary, Indiana --> Pittsburgh go by faster than it otherwise would.

x-posted, but sayin
davy

« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2011, 01:22:21 PM »

I read The Hitchhiking Game in a sophomore year Lit/Comp class, and the ensuing gender war actually resulted in some people dropping the class. A book was thrown at one point. People were standing and shouting. It was nuts.

auto-da-fey

« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2011, 01:25:31 PM »

ha, I think I remember you mentioning that once (it wouldn't surprise me if I've invoked it before).

in any case, it need not be a Kunderian undertaking! think more . . . like, Zelig or something.
peacocks

« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2011, 01:26:54 PM »

oo I want to read that now.

my friend and I drove to tampa at like 1 am a few weeks ago and we played the "would you rather" game with really gross and violent rathers. You're allowed to compromise, make changes and so forth. Well what if the gang who was raping me was all Jude Law?

my step dad plays "who would win" but it's with actors and fictional creatures. The actors are vs. other actors. Though it would be neat to try Keifer Sutherland vs. Crocodile With Wings. The winner on the actors side is always Kiefer Sutherland.

dick-check your priviledge
kyle

« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2011, 03:57:17 PM »

Always a fan of "Name more of this than the other person can". Basically you take a category and go back and forth naming something that falls into that category. If someone repeats or is unable to think of one more, then it goes back to the other player who must name one more thing to "win" the game. Loser picks the next category.

examples: "Tom Hank's Movie Roles", or "Countries in Africa", or "United States Presidents", or "Books by Steven King".

Best to choose a category which has a large amount of answers to take up more time.

Jeb, you know you live in the age of internet thievery, right?
yeah but i like holding things
guavacris

« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2011, 05:45:32 PM »

I like the picnic game, except usually scrap the picnic and play something like

"I'm going to the 24 hour Dunkin Donuts at 3 am and I'm bringing..." then list all the crap you're bringing, a-z, switching off, and you have to repeat the entire bizarre list before each turn.

El_Josharino

« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2011, 10:40:35 PM »

my friend and I drove to tampa at like 1 am a few weeks ago and we played the "would you rather" game with really gross and violent rathers. You're allowed to compromise, make changes and so forth. Well what if the gang who was raping me was all Jude Law?

I'm a big fan of "would you rather". My friend Paul is really good at coming up with scenarios.

I also like marry/bang/kill. Normally, you name 3 people (celebrities, Tom Hanks characters, dead presidents, whatever) and choose which one you'd marry, which one you'd bang, and which one you'd kill, but I like to take it to a whole different level and use things like reuben/philly/bacon cheeseburger, or couch/recliner/porch swing, or Dodgers beach blanket/Alfonso Soriano's contract/the weird hill in center field at Minute Maid Park.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
Antero

« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2011, 10:44:52 PM »

I like the game "shut the hell up and listen to this mix CD I made for the trip"

sorry I am not helpful
This is me.  9 hours isn't that far, really.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
Anne the Man

« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2011, 12:26:18 AM »

I like books on tape as well as music. Otherwise, my friend and I played the 30-second song game a lot, where you pick a topic and sing about it. Annnnnd the poem game, where you get given 5 words and have to write a poem containing them, but that doesn't work for someone who's driving.

Another friend and I also played a game where you pick a theme (e.g. food) and make terrible puns about it ("that's condiMENTAL!") back and forth for 20 minutes while our choir groans around us on the bus. But that's an acquired taste.

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
peacocks

« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2011, 12:32:08 AM »

Oh, I just thought of another game. It's an acting game or something I think called "secret word." you and one other person pick a word, text it to each other, and you have to race to get the rest of the car to say the secret word without saying it yourself. It is fun when it is a game no one else knows they are playing but you can also plan it and have teams. I'm actually still trying to make my two friends say "pipe" from two days ago.

dick-check your priviledge
mixed cats

« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2011, 05:58:40 PM »

Other games specific to where I am likely to be traveling:
Count the Signs for Waffle House on 95
Count the Dead Birds on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge
Count the Dead Birds on the Bonner Bridge
What the Fuck Does This Virginia Driver's Vanity Plate Mean
Point Out All the Places Where We Pulled Over So I Could Barf When I Was a Kid

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
Bernard

« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2011, 10:19:45 PM »

Name that tune. Can use radio or put ipod on random.
Miles (or seconds) to object: spot object in distance, guess what odometer or cell phone/ipod timer will read as you pass it.
I'm thinking of a word. One party guesses, the other party says higher/lower (in the alphabet).
Total Recall. Snap a photo out of the window. Each person tries to recall/guess everything that will appear in the photo.
Rigamarole: one otter. two tiny tunes. three thirsty thrumming throats. four fiercely fighting familiar fantasies. etc
Association.
Buzz (sevens). Start counting at one and say buzz for every seven, and every multiple of seven. 17 and 21 get one buzz each. 70 gets two. 77 gets three.
Rhyming Jeopardy.  One person thinks of a word, then states they're thinking of a word that rhymes with X. (My word is cat. I'm thinking of a word that rhymes with bat.) The other person guesses by describing their guess. (Is it a rodent?) The yes/no must include the guessed rhyming word (No, it's not a rat.) If I can't come up with 'rat', I lose, and it's your turn.

And one million other such word, number, and guessing games.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
The_Tourist

« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 2011, 10:32:43 PM »

this thread should be in mhc or else you're playing the wrong games.

we have the money for missiles and fun
Pages: [1]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: Road Trip Games
Jump to: