Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 23, 2014, 04:23:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658023 Posts in 9261 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 40 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Fucking IRS!  (Read 2858 times)
dieblucasdie

« on: Nov 28, 2011, 08:36:55 PM »

I thought Biggins had a thread for tax questions, but I couldn't find it.  He's probably the only one that can maybe answer this, but if anyone knows anything that would be helpful, chime in.

The IRS has been coming after us for a while, saying we owe $2200 (plus another $1500 in penalties) from 2004 (all my wife's income was freelance design work that year, so she didn't have any taxes withheld from her paychecks).  We've been fighting with them, but today my wife's work finally got a levy notice.  (668-W(c)).  At this point, we're just going to give up and pay it.  

My question is: How long do I have to pay them? It's going to take me a week or so to get the cash together, and I can't find anything, anywhere, on how long a taxpayer or an employer has to respond to this.  What I have been able to find makes it seem like they'll want payment on the very next pay period, and luckily she doesn't get paid until a week from Friday.  What happens if we pay them, but that next paycheck still gets garnished?

I like that we've had a 7 year ordeal with the IRS over 2Gs.  Gotta get that paper together for the next round of bailouts I guess
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2011, 08:39:56 PM by dieblucasdie » Logged

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2011, 09:50:46 PM »

Not to mention all the babies need abortin

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2011, 10:52:17 PM »

Silly pollo, life events only validate my political beliefs; they never challenge them

RoyBiggins

« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2011, 02:49:18 PM »

I'm not sure how the rules change if you've gotten that far into it, but if you're going to pay back taxes in general, call the IRS and they'll be more than happy to work out a payment plan for you.  Nothing's gotta get paid all at once--lots of people owe a lot more than you guys. 

They may hit you with penalties or shit like that, it's hard to say.  If you want better, more specific advice before proceeding, email me and i'll relate your questions to someone who I know and love who represents people before the IRS for H&R Block all the time.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2011, 02:56:20 PM »

Yeah, I have no problem paying it off in its entirety (and this point I want to be done with it), it's just going to take me a week or so to do it.  I just don't want to pay it, and then have her next paycheck garnished anyway.  Funny part is, she just got a 100% raise, that's going into effect for the next pay period, so one garnishment would pretty much pay it off.  Maybe we should just let that happen?  Is that bad?

Super-annoying, I'm pretty sure we've probably been getting 10,000 letters from the IRS sent to our old place for the past year.
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2011, 03:03:26 PM by dieblucasdie » Logged

dieblucasdie

« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2011, 11:52:50 PM »

Yeah, after consulting with my wife's HR department, it's going to be easier for everyone involved just to go with the bureaucratic flow and let them garnish her next couple paychecks; rushing to pay it off is only going to make things more complicated, since we'd risk double-paying if the IRS didn't get back to her company *right* away.  Even though garnishment is a shitty situation, at least it means we're on the same page as the IRS, and everybody involved has a set protocol to follow.

I guess probably they came after us now because they only have 7 years to do so, by law?  It's kind of awesome that they didn't give a shit until the last month.  
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2011, 11:59:01 PM by dieblucasdie » Logged

cold before sunrise

« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2011, 04:30:12 AM »

is it against the law to wipe your ass with each dollar bill before mailing the total to them as a box of smelly ones? that'd be a smart-ass way of saying "fuck you, asswipes, this is all yours."

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2011, 08:56:42 PM »

is it against the law to wipe your ass with each dollar bill before mailing the total to them as a box of smelly ones? that'd be a smart-ass way of saying "fuck you, asswipes, this is all yours."

His poop dollars paid for your abortions, as pollo pointed out

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
dieblucasdie

« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2011, 09:36:12 PM »

Well, she's Canadian, so the only effect my tax dollars have on her is in trying to stop her coke from getting to her

cold before sunrise

« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2011, 03:02:19 AM »

neither are of any particular interest to me personally but i feel obliged to point out that access to safe abortions and quality cocaine are both signifiers of freedom in the first world. if you're against artist parties and reproductive rights then may i suggest moving to sudan. the government isn't any less corrupt in that corner of the world but it seems that at least they've got the same traditional values in mind.

i'll tell you a little story about your tax dollars at work: once upon a time (during a certain conservative administration) coke traded pound for pound for bc bud and was shipped via the coast guard, a private boat named after the wife of a former prime minister, and independently chartered helicopters. what drug war?! don't believe the hype. who with half a scrambled brain cell takes pride in paying taxes? anybody with a shred of smarts knows how talented governments (all of them) are at squandering bounty. it's practically a conservative vow to avoid taxing anybody affluent, out of respect for laudable commerce.

dieblucasdie

« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2011, 05:50:32 PM »

Cool story bro

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2011, 06:16:41 PM »

Apparently your poop dollars aren't interdicting a very high percentage
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2011, 08:30:55 PM by FreddyKnuckles » Logged

Illest Waffle

« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »

Her 2004 income was freelance, but did she file her return for that year? If you don't file, the IRS assumes that all the income is profit and they will straight bone you. If you didn't file, you can go down to the local IRS office and plead your case, ask them to let you file the past return.

If you think that what she honestly owes in lieu of a proper filing is less than what they are asking for, this is perhaps worth fighting.
RoyBiggins

« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2011, 06:02:39 PM »

How they'd treat the income is true, but Tax Year 2004 itself is way closed. No more filing returns for that year under any circumstances I know of.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
Illest Waffle

« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2011, 02:10:20 PM »

How they'd treat the income is true, but Tax Year 2004 itself is way closed. No more filing returns for that year under any circumstances I know of.

The ASFR unit is the one the comes knocking (years later) if you don't file a return. You can file with them after you have an open case with the field office, ASFR unit will decide if you have a valid case and they can waive the penalties etc. It can be done, but it is contingent on talking to the field office and being referred to a tax advocate which will be your man or lady in the fight.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2011, 06:56:18 PM »

Yeah, she filed that year, but we did our taxes ourselves, and, in hindsight, did a really poor job.  Which is part of why they waited until after we couldn't re-file to come after us.  Good times.

RoyBiggins

« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2011, 12:21:30 PM »

For the record, for anybody on the board, I'd be happy to either do your taxes, or check them after you've done them.  I think I'll be able to do it for free, and if there's an error, I could convert the return and file if for WELL under H&R Block's normal prices.

I feel like a shill, but I really am just tryin' to help.

Em

« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2011, 12:54:58 PM »

Hey, how do you know what student loan interest is deductible and what is not?
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2011, 11:06:23 PM »

The interest you pay back is deductible.  The interest accruing isn't deductible until you pay it back. 

Em

« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:54:51 AM »

Thanks Freddy! I guess I'm gonna get one hell of a tax return.
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2011, 11:31:15 AM »

I think.

Keep in mind only a portion of your monthly loan payment pays down interest. Some of it may be paying down principle.  I don't know what payments you're making or how they're classifying the payment.

cold before sunrise

« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2011, 04:13:20 PM »

For the record, for anybody on the board, I'd be happy to either do your taxes, or check them after you've done them.  I think I'll be able to do it for free, and if there's an error, I could convert the return and file if for WELL under H&R Block's normal prices.

I feel like a shill, but I really am just tryin' to help.

h&r block legally has to have one chartered accountant on premises but they end up caught up in the handling of T2's (corporate taxes, it could be a different form outside of canada) while every personal tax return just gets run through a typical computer tax program. i wouldn't lie, it's like over paying a monkey to type in a few numbers. having somebody look over your return who actually knows a thing or two about taxes is a good idea - or get a friend with a home tax calculator to do it, like our buddy here (we're not really friends but i've got to back the guy up on this).

dbd: the second thing i thought upon hearing the sam brown story was that it's great material for a potential screenplay. the first was what ever happened to our mutual friend, another helicopter pilot who has dropped from facebook and i haven't seen or heard from since the august before last. that might just be the work of his jealous little finance though! (still, i'm concerned. there are whispers that the dea paid brown a visit the night before he was supposed to testify and he was found dead immediately after they'd departed. he wasn't supposed to get caught, they were well integrated professionals, but an insider blackberry got into the hands of a small local police force. and really, if it wasn't risky business then it wouldn't be any fun, right? that's the fine line you walk, living dangerously.)

dieblucasdie

« Reply #22 on: Apr 13, 2012, 12:08:32 PM »

BOOM, first time in 6 years we'll be getting a refund (my wife filled out her W-4 wrong ages ago, and they don't withhold enough), here's to filing jointly and having one spouse be a deadbeat student!

elpollodiablo

« Reply #23 on: Apr 13, 2012, 12:13:46 PM »

Man you should've seen the checks we had to write this year. Between that, the IRA we started for Marin and a couple luxury purchases (like pots and pans), the Jeopardy! money is basically gone.

think 'on the road.'
jm

« Reply #24 on: Apr 13, 2012, 12:16:16 PM »

Jesus I would love to get a goddamn refund. Fuck everything.

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: Fucking IRS!
Jump to: