Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 25, 2014, 08:40:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658134 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 51 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Print
Author Topic: My teacher says I'm breaking books at an eighth grade level: book thread  (Read 36846 times)
Thermofusion

« Reply #225 on: Apr 21, 2012, 12:09:28 PM »

Anyone have any opinion about Steve Erickson? 

I read Arc D'X when I was at university ( a looong  time ago!). It's a bizarre, time-warping story that starts out with Thomas Jefferson and his slave mistress in the eighteenth century and later flips quite dramatically into a sort of science fiction narrative. The author appears as a character at one point, issues of race are prominent, and there's quite a lot of sex and violence too.

This sounds odd but great! I skimmed a plot summary elsewhere just now and, yeah, I gotta read this.

triple paisley minimum
Nick Ink

« Reply #226 on: Apr 21, 2012, 12:18:55 PM »

I read Arc D'X when I was at university ( a looong  time ago!). It's a bizarre, time-warping story that starts out with Thomas Jefferson and his slave mistress in the eighteenth century and later flips quite dramatically into a sort of science fiction narrative. The author appears as a character at one point, issues of race are prominent, and there's quite a lot of sex and violence too.

This sounds odd but great! I skimmed a plot summary elsewhere just now and, yeah, I gotta read this.

Yeah, I read it nearly 20 years ago, so I can't really remember much about the writing itself, but I seem to remember it was pretty accomplished, and as I say, certainly original and memorable.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
davy

« Reply #227 on: Apr 23, 2012, 10:38:10 AM »

Yo, coldforge, look what popped up in my RSS this morning.

http://www.earlyword.com/2012/04/23/readers-advisory-the-inquisitor/

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
coldforge

« Reply #228 on: Apr 23, 2012, 11:36:26 AM »

c'est mon pere!

č l'era del terzo mondo.
RoyBiggins

« Reply #229 on: Apr 23, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »

Actual sentence I said once "I bet I can find his Dad's IMDB page.  What's his last name again...zach...Oh, fuck, never mind."

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
RoyBiggins

« Reply #230 on: Apr 23, 2012, 11:39:19 AM »

Also, it sounds pretty good! I'ma read it.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
Greg Nog

« Reply #231 on: Apr 23, 2012, 11:42:46 AM »

I just finished it, and it's a realllll page-turner.  I kept thinking, "God damn, this is gonna make him millions of dollars when it gets turned into a movie."
elpollodiablo

« Reply #232 on: Apr 23, 2012, 12:04:49 PM »

So awesome that that's your dad's first novel, too.

think 'on the road.'
alistarr*

« Reply #233 on: Apr 23, 2012, 02:57:35 PM »

Apparently it's World Book Night tonight. Someone just gave me a copy of A Tale of Two Cities. You're supposed to read a book and enjoy it and pass it on and still keep it with you. In your HEART.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #234 on: Apr 23, 2012, 03:04:25 PM »

Oh I guess we don't really have a "goal" exactly, just trying to raise awareness of books generally, just to make people more aware of y'know books and reading

think 'on the road.'
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #235 on: Apr 23, 2012, 03:05:12 PM »

i read the sample of coldforge's dad's book on my phone last week and it's pretty tremendous

jebreject

« Reply #236 on: Apr 23, 2012, 07:57:14 PM »

Just bought the Kindle version! I'll read it when I'm done with these stupid Hunger Games books

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
milly balgeary

« Reply #237 on: Apr 26, 2012, 10:33:03 PM »

I tried to like him but I thought his writing was kinda sterile. I think I read Arc D'X ....

milly balgeary

« Reply #238 on: Apr 26, 2012, 10:36:16 PM »

Yo boy King has a new "dark tower" novel out.

I actually am quite taken with the title, but the cover ...
Roland tells his people of his early days as a gunslinger from Gilead and how he teamed up with another young man to investigate a shape-shifter, called "the Skin-man," who began a killing spree around a mining town.
King takes the reader down the rabbit hole a little more from there: Roland strikes up a friendship with a boy whose father is murdered and tells him a fairy tale — one that lasts half the novel — involving magicians, dragons, swamp people and an 11-year-old named Tim determined to avenge his father's death.

That actually sounds really fucking good. I am NOT gonna lie.

fishjim

« Reply #239 on: Apr 26, 2012, 11:34:41 PM »

Holy shit. It finally occurs to me that these Dark Tower novels are probably based - yeah, based! - around my favorite poem, "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came". Gotta read em!

Do I start at the beginning?
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2012, 03:59:43 AM by fishjim » Logged

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
jebreject

« Reply #240 on: Apr 27, 2012, 12:33:30 AM »

why am I reading these Hunger Games books? They're at once totally engrossing and utterly banal.

Thermofusion

« Reply #241 on: Apr 27, 2012, 01:33:21 AM »

Yo boy King has a new "dark tower" novel out.

I actually am quite taken with the title, but the cover ...
Roland tells his people of his early days as a gunslinger from Gilead and how he teamed up with another young man to investigate a shape-shifter, called "the Skin-man," who began a killing spree around a mining town.
King takes the reader down the rabbit hole a little more from there: Roland strikes up a friendship with a boy whose father is murdered and tells him a fairy tale — one that lasts half the novel — involving magicians, dragons, swamp people and an 11-year-old named Tim determined to avenge his father's death.

That actually sounds really fucking good. I am NOT gonna lie.

YES. It's getting good reviews, too.

triple paisley minimum
Em

« Reply #242 on: Apr 30, 2012, 12:00:07 PM »

The Loom of Ruin, by Sam McPheeters

Sam McPheeters is a friend's uncle and my friend gave me an extra copy he had lying around. Book's pretty wacky but I'm really digging it so far.
jebreject

« Reply #243 on: Apr 30, 2012, 11:43:01 PM »

That dude fronted one of my favorite bands of all time

Just sayin'

Em

« Reply #244 on: May 01, 2012, 10:38:07 AM »

I know, me too.  Cool
davy

« Reply #245 on: May 01, 2012, 12:34:07 PM »

Hey sci-fi fans (if any more exist)...

I'm really enjoying this:

It's a 2012 Hugo Award nominee, and the second book in the series comes out next month. Well-written, extremely fast-paced, lots of fun.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 01:03:47 PM by davy » Logged

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #246 on: May 09, 2012, 07:55:51 PM »

I normally don't talk much about my reading here, since, quite frankly, this place is my escape from shit, but I thought I'd mention that I read most of The Queer Art of Failure today, since I know adf reps Halberstam, and I also feel like it directly addresses a lot of pollo's recent thoughts about intellectual work and the academy. I don't really know why, but I went in expecting a more narrow, orthodox "being queer is the bestest most radical politics ever" argument, so it delighted it me all the more when she got all, "Fuck everything, let's cash our university checks and watch Spongebob with our students and see what happens." Some of the specific textual arguments seem like stretches, but that's kind of the point: it's the most delightful bit of academic/semi-academic writing I've encountered in quite some time.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 08:12:50 PM by dieblucasdie » Logged

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
silentsigh89

« Reply #247 on: May 09, 2012, 11:13:04 PM »

c'est mon pere!

I forgot to tell you about this!! I run the social media for a DC book review organization, and we had posted a review about his book. He and I exchanged a few messages over the official Facebook account for the org about the review and promotion for it,  and after about two messages I figured out who he was but then, you know, decided it would be strange to go from being somewhat professional and speaking on behalf of the organization to "OMG I know your son!!!!"

Back to other reading: In my first year of school I found out that I missed out on some serious essential reading that everyone else seems to have done in undergrad.

Currently, I am playing catch-up by reading through Daniel Yergin's books in my spare time and I have to say that I am SHOCKED that I find it all to be so interesting. Normally, I could not care less about institutional and business history, but my boyfriend and I have been reading The Prize before bed every night, eagerly turning the pages to find out more about the way that Standard Oil set up their trust.

fishjim

« Reply #248 on: May 10, 2012, 01:19:43 AM »

Currently, I am playing catch-up by reading through Daniel Yergin's books in my spare time and I have to say that I am SHOCKED that I find it all to be so interesting. Normally, I could not care less about institutional and business history, but my boyfriend and I have been reading The Prize before bed every night, eagerly turning the pages to find out more about the way that Standard Oil set up their trust.

I've had that experience, too. My weird pleasure was Oil, God, and Gold: The Story of Aramco and the Saudi Kings. Aramco geeks - you know who you are, and you know you want this.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:27:04 AM by fishjim » Logged

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
ellaguru

« Reply #249 on: May 17, 2012, 11:38:22 PM »

I haven't read her book yet, but this is what my yoga teacher does when she's not teaching me yoga.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: My teacher says I'm breaking books at an eighth grade level: book thread
Jump to: