Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:11:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658119 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 50 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: xmas!  (Read 6363 times)
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #125 on: Dec 30, 2011, 05:15:12 PM »

Also my mom runs a daycare and has a room full of toys, frankly a ridiculous amount of toys, all kinds of them, and I've seen plenty of little girls crashing cars together and plenty of boys hugging stuffed animals and who gives a fuck really

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
fishjim

« Reply #126 on: Dec 30, 2011, 06:49:13 PM »

Also my mom runs a daycare and has a room full of toys, frankly a ridiculous amount of toys, all kinds of them, and I've seen plenty of little girls crashing cars together and plenty of boys hugging stuffed animals and who gives a fuck really

That's been my experience with daycare & preschools, too. Didn't mean to troll. I think my wife and I are basically on Bernard's wavelength. We avoided all pink, princess & Disney shtick scrupulously, and then over the course of a week or two around Iris's 4th birthday she started insisting on everything being pink, and then a few months later on everything being princess. I actually don't mind the princess tales that much, since they mostly stick pretty close to Grimm's or Hans Christian Anderson etc. and only omit some of the more gruesome details, like when the evil stepmother in Cinderella chops off the end of her evil daughter's foot, just to make it fit the golden slipper.

The golden slipper becomes the glass slipper in Disney, of course, which is actually one of the few revisions Disney often makes to its retelling of these Old World folk tales: silver and gold become diamond and/or crystal - e.g. Snow White's dwarves mining for diamonds, or the glass slipper in Cinderella.

If I were Oedipa Maas on the trail of the Knights Templar, I would find this VERY significant. But sadly, I am not Oedipa Maas.
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2011, 09:45:43 PM by fishjim » Logged

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
fishjim

« Reply #127 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:40:16 PM »

I should say the thing I do find horrifying about the Disney princess stage is the visual images that go with it. Iris is lucky that Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and others are blond & Aryan like her, but no way she'll ever have a body like theirs. That does creep me out sometimes.
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2011, 09:37:56 PM by fishjim » Logged

Bernard

« Reply #128 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:08:53 PM »

Dudes, no worries -- you guys are not the subject of my ire. It is persons closer to home who shower my kid with a lot of frothy stuff and then go SHE PICKED IT HERSELF!! (out of a pile of it and only it, RLY? gender conformity shocker!). Frankly what she really wants is an iPad, but that is not going to happen. People are a lot less dedicated to fucking with my parenting at that price point.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
Babar

« Reply #129 on: Dec 30, 2011, 11:24:01 PM »

I have no idea what that image is from but it is awesome.

ditto!

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
Little Sixes Little Nines

« Reply #130 on: Jan 01, 2012, 03:44:13 PM »

it is from community!

i just sighed (my shitty tumblr)
nonotyet

« Reply #131 on: Jan 01, 2012, 04:48:42 PM »

I got my niece a sweatshirt string to chew on for Christmas:

« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2012, 04:52:19 PM by nonotyet » Logged
Bernard

« Reply #132 on: Jan 01, 2012, 06:42:33 PM »

holy cow that is a fricken adorable niece

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
mixed cats

« Reply #133 on: Jan 01, 2012, 07:24:35 PM »

BABY ROOSTER HAIR

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
elpollodiablo

« Reply #134 on: Jan 01, 2012, 07:32:33 PM »

Heart MY POLYVINYL CHLORIDE FOAM TOYS

I have been thinking about this photo from time to time the last few days and just giggling to myself

think 'on the road.'
Ashley

« Reply #135 on: Jan 02, 2012, 04:08:41 AM »

yesssss pictures of kids

Heart Heart Heart

My mother gave me video copies of videos from my childhood on dvd for christmas.

They are pretty fucking hilarious.  A little / very awkward sometimes, but hilarious.

I'm pretty envious of kids now and how their parents know how to take pictures and videos and probably make them not as awkward as these.

dogg you ain't gotta rustle outside in cloaks of darkness and shit
G.C.R

« Reply #136 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:55:42 AM »

Ha yeah for sure. The one and only video of me as a kid is at a birthday party when I'm 8, dancing to the Sound of Music soundtrack. All the other little girls are dancing cool; I'm pacing solemnly about pretending to be a praying nun.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
fishjim

« Reply #137 on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:09:27 AM »

All the other little girls are dancing cool; I'm pacing solemnly about pretending to be a praying nun.

I think I love you, G.C.R. Will you be my Internet bride?

When I was a kid and people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, my answer was, "A hermit."

Good Intentions

« Reply #138 on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:20:13 AM »

When I was a kid and people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, my answer was, "A hermit."
The first sign that things wouldn't work out that way was the fact that you answered them at all.
fishjim

« Reply #139 on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:42:53 AM »

Ha!

Guess that's why I became a poet. A talking hermit!

clare

« Reply #140 on: Jan 02, 2012, 04:48:55 PM »

We didn't have a movie camera when I was small, but my grandfather did, so I have home movies of my dad, which is pretty cool. I've been taking lots of video of E, which is kind of fun, but he's got to the "don't take my photo!" stage, so I have to be surreptitious. I need to take more of the big boy too, though he's got access to the camera, so he makes videos of how to build stuff.

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
Anne the Man

« Reply #141 on: Jan 02, 2012, 11:27:10 PM »

Ha yeah for sure. The one and only video of me as a kid is at a birthday party when I'm 8, dancing to the Sound of Music soundtrack. All the other little girls are dancing cool; I'm pacing solemnly about pretending to be a praying nun.

You would've been about 9, oi, cos it was Bridget's 3rd birthday. The only footage of me is at the same party, age 2 or so, hanging back smiling but unsure as everyone else plays musical cushions. For some reason I keep shouting out numbers.

I think my mother was rather horrified that I wanted a Butterfly Princess Barbie doll more than anything when I was 6. I got it for Christmas and promptly lost interest. I was quite a girly child in many ways--not a tomboy, probably partly because Mother so disapproved of violence that we were denied much play-fighting and waterpistols--but look at me go, not turning out superficial and passive! I'm not sure how much good Mum did by trying to steer me away from girly stuff. I could see her point, but I was right jealous of my friend's Barbie collection--gymnastics Barbie!--and I don't think it would've harmed me to have them. That was partly financial reasons though, since she was on the DPB.

That said, I'm on board with the annoyance about girls' clothing being all pink and purple. That shit is for the birds. Flamingos and grape flamingos specifically.

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
Babar

« Reply #142 on: Jan 02, 2012, 11:36:12 PM »

How did gymnastics Barbie work out? Did she have flexible joints and was she accompanied with a balance beam or other apparatus?

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
Anne the Man

« Reply #143 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:23:04 AM »

Dunno about the balance beam, but yes you could bend her all sorts of ways. I think she had a brightly coloured onesie.

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
G.C.R

« Reply #144 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:23:45 AM »

The barbie - not a Barbie, but a Ken - that I really coveted like mad was the Shavin' Ken. He would grow stubble and came with a little razor you could shave it off with. Also a towel and boxers.

Jim, I will be your intenet common-law spouse, but only if it means we both get to have an Helouise and Abelard livin in solitude romance.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
G.C.R

« Reply #145 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:25:20 AM »

Also i am drunk and there are kittens here and we are about to have pizza and watch Black Books. This should go in awesome thread but fuck finding that thing.

Ashley

« Reply #146 on: Jan 03, 2012, 03:13:51 AM »

You guys, I had gymasatics barbie and shaving ken.

my family is pretty into gender roles.

kittens and black books is awesome.
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2012, 03:19:08 AM by Ashley » Logged

dogg you ain't gotta rustle outside in cloaks of darkness and shit
fishjim

« Reply #147 on: Jan 03, 2012, 03:12:08 PM »

The new DIAGRAM is up, and the schematics this issue are awesome.

This one especially: Patent Application for DOLL

davy

« Reply #148 on: Jan 03, 2012, 03:23:44 PM »

FUCK I just realized how much I spent on gifts last month.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
jebreject

« Reply #149 on: Jan 03, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »

Goddamn, me too. I probably could have bought my new bicycle by now if not for Xmas presents.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: xmas!
Jump to: