Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 25, 2014, 01:28:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658135 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 53 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: A FOOD poll  (Read 15606 times)
elpollodiablo

« Reply #300 on: Mar 14, 2012, 05:15:55 PM »

Forget everything else it's DORITOS LOCOS DAY*

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/13/doritos-locos-tacos_n_1341236.html?ref=food

*Actually I guess it was last week. Nonetheless: I'ma go get one

think 'on the road.'
cold before sunrise

« Reply #301 on: Mar 14, 2012, 05:45:16 PM »

McDonalds et al. haven't been using pink slime for years.

afraid you're mistaken, dear. it was only the last thursday of january that mcdonald's said they would discontinue the use of ammonium hydroxide treated pink slime. the products in their warehouses will not be disposed of but continue to sell in fast food outlets so burgers being sold for approximately the next year can be expected to contain the same carcinogenic chemicals and remnant plant meat that they've been using for years.

I don't get why it's a bad thing to use the extra parts of chicken if they can find a way to make them taste good, and making a paste of it doesn't seem any more inherently gross to me than mashing up other kinds of food.

Yeah, I'm absolutely of the same mindset; it certainly doesn't seem any less weird than sausage, which seems to just be MSM on a slightly more macro scale.

we're talking about trimmings, connective tissues and parts that are unfit for human consumption, the real dregs that have traditionally gone to rendering plants or butchers pay to have taken away. there's nothing wrong with ground meat but this isn't even actual muscle and has to have binders and artificial flavour added to make it palatable, after being sprayed with sanitizing chemicals because it's so full of bacteria (e. coli and salmonella). it's not nutritionally equivalent to ground beef and it's not meat. this is genuine disrespect to food and to the people eating it, especially children since the usda just bought 7 million pounds to add to the school lunch program. bringing 'mystery meat' to a whole new level of barfy.

edit: americans love eating dog food.
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2012, 06:16:59 PM by cold before sunrise » Logged

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
jm

« Reply #302 on: Mar 14, 2012, 06:19:45 PM »

Dude, they're not unfit for human consumption.  Sorry!  You're wrong.

(and yeah, I was thinking about MSM when I responded to the thing about pink slime, because the last article I read was conflating the two.  Which is why I said "Oops" after jess's post.)
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2012, 06:23:52 PM by jm » Logged

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
cold before sunrise

« Reply #303 on: Mar 14, 2012, 06:28:41 PM »

drink piss for all i care.

jm

« Reply #304 on: Mar 14, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »

too late already did

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
cold before sunrise

« Reply #305 on: Mar 14, 2012, 07:05:53 PM »

edit: words fail me.
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2012, 08:17:16 PM by cold before sunrise » Logged

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #306 on: Mar 14, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »

Good lord. There goes my plan to serve pink slime tartare at my next soiree

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Greg Nog

« Reply #307 on: Mar 14, 2012, 07:52:06 PM »

Man I eat connective tissue all the time
peacocks

« Reply #308 on: Mar 14, 2012, 08:36:17 PM »

SUP. the only thing I've had to eat today (it is 8:36 pm) is a frosty! I am living life correctly this week!

dick-check your priviledge
jess

« Reply #309 on: Mar 14, 2012, 09:28:22 PM »

Most of the world would be pretty shocked to hear about those bits being unfit for human consumption, since it's a weird (and wasteful) Western thing to only eat muscle tissue. Also what makes chicken/beer/whatever stock stock is the use of connective tissue which makes it thicker and delicious—otherwise it would be just broth.

Also, the Snopes thing pretty clearly debunks the whole ammonia part of the pink slime myth. And personally, I think all raw chicken looks and feels highly unappealing, whether in whole or fine-grained ground form. Doesn't stop me from thinking cooked chicken is tasty.
Ignatius

« Reply #310 on: Mar 14, 2012, 09:56:39 PM »

I understand where y'all are coming from, but there's a difference between boiling bones in water and grinding the sticky bits through a sieve, right? Nobody's really tried to make a case that one or the other might be unhealthy, just that it is aesthetically gross/aesthetically ok. Isn't sausage a bit different since it's still made up of butchered cuts and organs and other, like, accessible parts of the animal?
Ignatius

« Reply #311 on: Mar 14, 2012, 09:58:53 PM »

I mean, cbs'  claim.that they are especially attractive to bacteria aside
.. or else what is the basis there? Fuck this, basketball.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #312 on: Mar 14, 2012, 10:00:51 PM »

DORITOS LOCOS

think 'on the road.'
jess

« Reply #313 on: Mar 14, 2012, 10:03:04 PM »

Her claim is BS, shockingly.

Unrelatedly, I had a reuben taco tonight. I call it Jewican food. It was delicious. Also had a fish taco, a side of turnip greens, and an ear of cuban grilled corn, and a couple of Dogfish 60 min IPAs. Also all delicious.
El_Josharino

« Reply #314 on: Mar 14, 2012, 10:25:11 PM »

Fuck yes Reuben taco.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
cold before sunrise

« Reply #315 on: Mar 14, 2012, 10:36:52 PM »

I don't want to give up tacos but they've definitely been moved to the vice list.

Ignatius: It's because they are nasty bits omitted from traditional cuts due to being located near intestines, etc. I mean, properly treated I can see tripe being the test of a true chef but since mass manufactured meats are already several thousand times higher in bacteria and fecal contamination (edit: than natural, organic products, according to lab tests) there's really no place for the worst of the worst on the dinner plate. Also, this is not an issue of fast food but widespread consumer fraud as it's now part and parcel with the majority of American ground beef. It's stunning to find this disgrace met with acceptance, a blatant disregard for life in the name of overproduction which is absolutely not something that you'll find elsewhere in the world except via international McDonald's and their ilk, although it doesn't surprise me that Jess is a fan since the time she claimed to consider adding bacteria to food to extend shelf life 'poetic.' Honey, what that is called is filth and if you looked at what it deposits into your bloodstream by viewing a sample under a microscope I doubt you'd find it possible to stick to your guns.
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2012, 12:02:44 AM by cold before sunrise » Logged

milly balgeary

« Reply #316 on: Mar 14, 2012, 11:08:21 PM »

I get the rail against pink slime n all. But, really, you're going to Mcdonalds, you thought that shit was grass fed organic beef or somesuch? "here's your big mac...the patty is lean beef, fed on an organic diet of grassland wheat". I mean, I just don't go to Mcdonalds.

Bigger deal to me:

food companies have lawyers on hand to make sure that the special blend of chemicals that they put in their tasty processed foods can't be shared, due to competition, because they say that other companies might steal this secret and clone this proprietary formula. but, then they don't gotta tell the public what's in it either! My 11 year old kid wants Fruity Pebbles, I wouldn't mind knowing what's in it. they put "great source of vitamin c" on the box but I know what it is. It's shapeless corn based artificial processed lumps given extracted bits of flavor enhancement, sugar, hfc, and then then it's on sale and shit. This is a bigger deal to me because you know, my kid is 11 and he wants that fucking cereal. I gotta be what, nazi dad? In this case, yes, and then I made him eat fish for dinner.

(I do 'get' that Mcdonalds n processed foods are both unacceptable because they offer cheap unhealthy food for people, many of which are in an economic class that can't afford to eat healthier, because eating heathy is damn expensive -- so, no I'm not OK with that but that's another thing)

milly balgeary

« Reply #317 on: Mar 14, 2012, 11:10:05 PM »

Forget everything else it's DORITOS LOCOS DAY*

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/13/doritos-locos-tacos_n_1341236.html?ref=food

*Actually I guess it was last week. Nonetheless: I'ma go get one

That's disgusting and beautiful, and you oughtta be ashamed of yourself for spending money on that load of horrible shit, but more importantly, how was it?

elpollodiablo

« Reply #318 on: Mar 14, 2012, 11:14:27 PM »

It was way better than a normal Taco Bell supreme hard taco, I'll tell you that

think 'on the road.'
jess

« Reply #319 on: Mar 14, 2012, 11:31:30 PM »

Josh, you would love this taco place. They also have a Korean BBQ taco, a Southern Fried Chicken taco and a Buffalo Chicken taco, along with more traditional fare.

I don't want to give up tacos but they've definitely been moved to the vice list.

Ignatius: It's because they are nasty bits omitted from traditional cuts due to being located near intestines, etc. I mean, properly treated I can see tripe being the test of a true chef but since mass manufactured meats are already several thousand times higher in bacteria and fecal contamination (edit: than natural, organic products, according to lab tests) there's really no place for the worst of the worst on the dinner plate. Also, this is not an issue of fast food but widespread consumer fraud as it's now part and parcel with the majority of American ground beef. It's stunning to find this disgrace met with acceptance, is this kind of blatant disregard for life in the name of overproduction is absolutely not something that you find elsewhere in the world except via international McDonald's and their ilk, although it doesn't surprise me that Jess likes it since the time she claimed to consider adding bacteria to food to extend shelf life 'poetic.' Honey, what that is called is filth and if you looked at what it deposits into your bloodstream by viewing a sample under a microscope I doubt you'd find it possible to stick to your guns.

I don't like McDonalds—can't remember the last time I ate there, and in general I try to avoid fast food when I can, for reasons that are unrelated to the topic at hand (such as poor quality food overall and ridiculous levels of sodium). I also don't remember what quote you are talking about, although to be fair, I do kind of think there would be something clever about fighting bacteria with bacteria, though not nearly as cool as hijacking viruses and using them for good*—but yeah, good bacteria and the lactic acid they produce is why yogurt lasts longer than other forms of dairy, so nothing particularly new about that idea. I just don't think using random bits of chicken is somehow magically more gross than using muscle meat—that's just squeamishness. It's not like the muscle meat is treated in a particularly sanitary way either, so regardless, you had better hope your fast food meat is well done to the point of killing off potential bacteria with heat. Also, FYI, that photo is CHICKEN not beef.

*did we talk about on the board how scientists are using inactive HIV to treat leukemia? It's incredibly cool.
Ignatius

« Reply #320 on: Mar 14, 2012, 11:40:11 PM »

Fuck em all I am a vegetarian

Milly, when I was a kid, I had two hungry brothers. So not only was fancy cereal bad for us, but prohibitively expensive since we'd probably load up on multiple bowls daily if it was constantly available.

However, every now and then on a Saturday morning, me and my brothers would wake up to find three boxes of cereal, each with one of our names written in magic marker on the boxtop. Chris always got a box of Lucky Charms, Andrew a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and I'd usually end up with Crunchberries.

We were told on these occasions that the cereal fairy had come and decided us worthy of her grace. It was an immense pleasure to all of us, and made a day kids already love feel like a goddamn birthday.

Many years later, after meeting blank stares whenever I asked other kids about the cereal fairy, I came to realize it was unique to my family. As a teenager, I asked my dad about it... He was a teacher, but he'd tend bar on Friday nights to make some extra scratch (by the way, squirts can have a lot of good-natured fun tearing up a bar on a weekend afternoon). On nights that he got really good tips, he'd stop at seven-eleven on the way home after closing at 3:00 AM or so and buy each one of us a box of our favorite cereal.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #321 on: Mar 14, 2012, 11:46:35 PM »

(by the way, squirts can have a lot of good-natured fun tearing up a bar on a weekend afternoon).

but on a weekday morning they should sit under grandpa's stool and shut up and eat their goddamn slim jim

Fuck em all I am a vegetarian

yet this is a dude who wants to come party with me this summer Smile j/k jeb is a veggie too and I cooked some of those veggieburgers for him at a bbq

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Ashley

« Reply #322 on: Mar 14, 2012, 11:47:30 PM »

Milly, when I was a kid, I had two hungry brothers. So not only was fancy cereal bad for us, but prohibitively expensive since we'd probably load up on multiple bowls daily if it was constantly available.

However, every now and then on a Saturday morning, me and my brothers would wake up to find three boxes of cereal, each with one of our names written in magic marker on the boxtop. Chris always got a box of Lucky Charms, Andrew a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and I'd usually end up with Crunchberries.

We were told on these occasions that the cereal fairy had come and decided us worthy of her grace. It was an immense pleasure to all of us, and made a day kids already love feel like a goddamn birthday.

Many years later, after meeting blank stares whenever I asked other kids about the cereal fairy, I came to realize it was unique to my family. As a teenager, I asked my dad about it... He was a teacher, but he'd tend bar on Friday nights to make some extra scratch (by the way, squirts can have a lot of good-natured fun tearing up a bar on a weekend afternoon). On nights that he got really good tips, he'd stop at seven-eleven on the way home after closing at 3:00 AM or so and buy each one of us a box of our favorite cereal.

i love this

dogg you ain't gotta rustle outside in cloaks of darkness and shit
Ignatius

« Reply #323 on: Mar 14, 2012, 11:50:25 PM »

on a weekday morning them bitches is in school and mom and dad are workin!

Jim. I'm an atheist and you're a major Christian type dude. I'm into nerdy stuff like science fiction and guitar music, while you prefer the mass market romances and lutes and such.

But we both love beer and the midwest. I will pledge to ignore your shortcomings if you can pretend I'm not super cool, and we will meet on common ground.
Ignatius

« Reply #324 on: Mar 14, 2012, 11:52:15 PM »

but in real life meeting jim and learning from jim would be a far greater honor than trolling jim. I have deep long-distance respect!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 22
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: A FOOD poll
Jump to: