Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 20, 2014, 05:42:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658102 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 39 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Unsupported Claims About Hip-Hop [The Rap Thread]  (Read 28817 times)
dieblucasdie

« Reply #250 on: Feb 06, 2012, 11:35:32 AM »

Not to drag things back to Lil B, but he just jumped on the beat from David Banner's awkward and preachy "Swag" and murdered the fuck out of it.  What's nuts is that I've listened to hundreds of Lil B tracks and this is the first time I've heard him actually drop a straight on-the-beat flow, which is a weird reminder that everything about his aesthetic is entirely intentional.

Yeah, everything about this is amazing.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Chet

« Reply #251 on: Feb 06, 2012, 01:24:10 PM »

I am listening to Cuban Linx Pt II for the first time. I dunno why it took me so long to get around to it. And while it IS pretty/very good, it's not really close to reaching the heights of its predecessor, and you know all the reviews and shit I saw at the time were placing it side by side with that shit.

Also, I know Reasonable Doubt is regarded as being a stone cold classic, but exactly how hard does it bite Cuban Linx? Jigga was a Shark Nigga.

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
Antero

« Reply #252 on: Feb 06, 2012, 06:13:38 PM »

Yeah, the sequel is nowhere near the level of the original, which is pretty much inevitable when you're talking about one of the best albums of all time across all genres.  Meth's verse on "House Of Flying Daggers" justifies just about anything, though.

Everybody bit Cuban Linx.  That really kicked off the whole mafia-rap routine.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #253 on: Feb 06, 2012, 06:28:06 PM »

Not to drag things back to Lil B, but he just jumped on the beat from David Banner's awkward and preachy "Swag" and murdered the fuck out of it.  What's nuts is that I've listened to hundreds of Lil B tracks and this is the first time I've heard him actually drop a straight on-the-beat flow, which is a weird reminder that everything about his aesthetic is entirely intentional.

the roses!

if lil b never watched sailor moon he should though

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
Babar

« Reply #254 on: Feb 06, 2012, 07:08:43 PM »

Let's not forget the godfather of mafia rap, Kool G Rap. Here's a favorite of mine even though it's not one of his mafia raps, "Men at Work". Probably my favorite old school straight up boasting joint.

Rappers evaporate to vapor, I drop science on paper
and then build a skyscraper.
When I die, scientists will preserve my brain.
Donate it to science to answer the unexplained.

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
Thermofusion

« Reply #255 on: Feb 06, 2012, 07:18:59 PM »

When I die, scientists will preserve my brain.
Donate it to science to answer the unexplained.

As I'm sure you're aware, Ron Paul has proposed cutting $7 billion from the NIH budget as well as eliminating over $10 billion in science/research-related federal programs, so even if Kool G donates his brain it'll probably just end up on Ebay

triple paisley minimum
Babar

« Reply #256 on: Feb 06, 2012, 07:27:49 PM »

Nah, he'd donate it to the private sector regardless  Razz
Seriously though, let's just talk about hip hop here

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
Chet

« Reply #257 on: Feb 06, 2012, 07:29:07 PM »

yeah son dont be bringing that shit in here

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
Thermofusion

« Reply #258 on: Feb 06, 2012, 07:30:46 PM »

Sorry mate Babar needs his big ol paws rubbed in his own shit a lil more IMO

Although if you agree never to bring up Ron Paul again, in any thread, I'll refrain as well

It's for everyone's own good

triple paisley minimum
jebreject

« Reply #259 on: Feb 06, 2012, 07:38:45 PM »

CALL ME OBAMA BASEDGOD

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #260 on: Feb 06, 2012, 08:21:08 PM »

I look like Obama, but I got a shotgun

dieblucasdie

« Reply #261 on: Feb 06, 2012, 08:28:23 PM »

Not to drag things back to Lil B, but he just jumped on the beat from David Banner's awkward and preachy "Swag" and murdered the fuck out of it.  What's nuts is that I've listened to hundreds of Lil B tracks and this is the first time I've heard him actually drop a straight on-the-beat flow, which is a weird reminder that everything about his aesthetic is entirely intentional.

the roses!

if lil b never watched sailor moon he should though

Comments on the original David Banner track on youtube:

Antero

« Reply #262 on: Feb 06, 2012, 08:48:09 PM »

THE INTERNET IS COMING FOR YOU, DAVID BANNER

shai faithe

« Reply #263 on: Feb 06, 2012, 09:54:29 PM »

yeah the beats on the b. coming easily ace the blueprint. they both have a very cohesive feel obviously, but i've always felt that print had a bit of gimmicky aspect to its solidity, by which i mean that the roc the world sound was the jam at the time, and jay basically had that pallet to rely on. otherwise, it's not that conceptually cohesive. on the other hand, the b. coming definitely is. beans really goes in more and more deeply on many of the same topics each time. he has the time and space to nuance everything he touches. the beats work with the lyrical subtleties across the record. i see this on blueprint but much less consistently. jay definitely reads the beats incredibly well, otherwise it wouldn't be a classic, but i don't feel he's able to gauge them as finely as beans, and jay certainly doesn't paint as vivid a singular portrait as sigel (mainly because jay is interested in selling records, but whatever).
didn't know that about black rob though, crazy shit. wasn't black rob every year supposed to have a comeback of some sort?
re: banner. if i were b, david fucking banner is the last person in the whole of hip hop that i'd start shit with. banner may have had more missteps than goodsteps in his lengthy career (though crooked lettaz is pretty much unimpeachable), but for real, the man has been one of the most articulate voices in hip hop w/r/t a substantial racialized politic and he's a goddamn good rapper.
"i own swag" remix featuring david banner! do, it! do, it! do, it!

dieblucasdie

« Reply #264 on: Feb 06, 2012, 10:20:48 PM »

the man has been one of the most articulate voices in hip hop w/r/t a substantial racialized politic and he's a goddamn good rapper.

Let me tell you about a guy named Killer Mike

shai faithe

« Reply #265 on: Feb 06, 2012, 11:11:41 PM »

uhh yeah. killer mike is basically banner 2.0. banner was doing the southern cube thing about a half decade before killer mike stepped on the scene, nearly a full decade before mike dropped pledge 1. prior to that tape, mike only had hints of political cohesion. monster and the killer are both a far cry from the work that comes after.
you know i love me some bang bang bang though.

dieblucasdie

« Reply #266 on: Feb 06, 2012, 11:41:47 PM »

Right but it's 2012 and Banner has Twilight references in his raps, and politically he seems more concerned with converting strippers to Jesus that anything else
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2012, 11:47:23 PM by dieblucasdie » Logged

Thermofusion

« Reply #267 on: Feb 07, 2012, 12:11:10 AM »

I love Mississippi too much to ever hate on David Banner. I've quietly pretended he's stopped making music though.

triple paisley minimum
Antero

« Reply #268 on: Feb 07, 2012, 02:48:59 AM »

I'm with Shai on that - Killer Mike is great, but in terms of archetypes he's filling the exact same spot Banner held up through Certified.  The Spare Clips mixtape in 2007 was also pretty tight, but Banner definitely seemed to lose his way after that.  Seems like a lot of the old guard couldn't transition to digital very well.

But if Banner's going to come at the youf with disorganized, preachy "conscious" attacks (weird for a guy who made bank off "Play" and "Like A Pimp" but you know) he's looking to catch shots, and Lil B's really the only one who would.

Part of the problem/charm in The Blueprint is that the whole thing was put together from beginning to end in like two weeks.  That's remarkable and lends to a certain live feel, but it also means that the composition isn't as strong as the B. Coming, where it seems like Sigel had time to really stew on each beat and collect his thoughts.  "Bread & Butter" is just insane, for instance.

dieblucasdie

« Reply #269 on: Feb 07, 2012, 08:45:15 AM »

I love Mississippi too much to ever hate on David Banner. I've quietly pretended he's stopped making music though.

Yeah, I mean, this is my problem more than anything. In 2003 he was making a point of calling George Bush a "pussy-ass nigga" over and over and declaring "America ain't shit," and he felt genuinely dangerous, but his politics have become muddled on some fronts and extremely problematic on others--the homophobic bits (and the gender/sexual politics, generally) on Death of a Pop Star make me more uncomfortable than anything Tyler's spit.

And eeeeven when Killer Mike gets in church-mode he does it better than Banner's been doing it.
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2012, 08:46:46 AM by dieblucasdie » Logged

shai faithe

« Reply #270 on: Feb 07, 2012, 09:14:44 AM »

killer mike x david banner x lil b
F. T. W.

dieblucasdie

« Reply #271 on: Feb 07, 2012, 11:18:43 AM »

Also, the youtube comments on the David Banner video continue to be awesome.

So you wanted to stop drug dealing with this song Dave? Nigga I just sold a brick to toddler and smoked a blunt while I nutted in your bitch's cup of lean. I call that, SWAG. basedworldtybg

DAVID BANNER DOES THAT ETHER SMELL GOOD? YOU GOT KILT BY THE PRETTY BITCH, KILL THA FUCK YOSELF YOU GOON FUCKER!

he mad basedgod fucked his bitch. n he fuked kreashan n laughed n asked her whats her name

fishjim

« Reply #272 on: Feb 07, 2012, 11:40:40 AM »

Also, the youtube comments on the David Banner video continue to be awesome.

I'm guessing the "All your base are belong to BasedGod" comment has been made before? Either way, awesome & true.

EDIT: Wondering if we should start a Lil B thread, so we don't keep derailing the rap thread. I can't help myself. I mean, look what I photoshopped this morning, when I should've been studying!

« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2012, 01:37:20 PM by fishjim » Logged

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #273 on: Feb 07, 2012, 04:31:01 PM »

dudes, new e-40: http://hulkshare.com/xa9bpue6o6h0

they point, they point, they like daaaaaaaaaamn

Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #274 on: Feb 07, 2012, 04:34:56 PM »

STOP READING AWFUL SHIT ON THE INTERNET AND LISTEN TO THAT

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Unsupported Claims About Hip-Hop [The Rap Thread]
Jump to: