Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Aug 29, 2014, 01:25:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657921 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 45 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Print
Author Topic: you know damn well that gay marriage is now legal in Skyrim (videogames)  (Read 37450 times)
Good Intentions

« Reply #300 on: May 27, 2012, 01:38:08 AM »

I mention the miasma because it's a possible cause. Rotting flesh (be it from the effects of butchering, or any other cause of death) causes miasma if it is indoors. This means that if the butcher shop is indoors, you need some way to deal with miasma, since butchery always causes leftover flesh bits.

Other than that, a pet dying is a likely cause of the first dwarf going berserk. Having a friend die is a likely cause of the second one flipping out. I believe you're likely to undergo your first tantrum spiral...
cold before sunrise

« Reply #301 on: May 27, 2012, 02:08:28 AM »

the seconds tick by while you could be doing things that bring you real joy.

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
C of heartbreak

« Reply #302 on: May 27, 2012, 02:52:23 AM »

the seconds tick by while you could be doing things that bring you real joy.

Like getting drunk and talking shit

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
elpollodiablo

« Reply #303 on: May 27, 2012, 08:04:14 AM »

Or going on histrionic rampages IRL and then reporting them online.

think 'on the road.'
coldforge

« Reply #304 on: May 27, 2012, 08:20:19 AM »

Blucas, I bet you haven't fired a friend who tried to tell you you drink too much in months! Get out there, buddy!

l'era del terzo mondo.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #305 on: Jun 01, 2012, 10:49:36 PM »

Alright, I'm sick of playing along with DF tutorials, so I'm just gonna crack a couple beers and go blind from here on out, just consulting the wiki occasionally. May God have mercy on the brave souls of Outpost Atirzanor.

Any key, key things I should know? I know I need to keep them well-stocked with booze, and I understand that well-placed traps are more important than a standing military. Anything pertaining to trading maybe? That whole thing still confuses me.
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2012, 10:54:48 PM by dieblucasdie » Logged

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
milly balgeary

« Reply #306 on: Jun 01, 2012, 10:59:24 PM »

You build that fortress, boy, you build it for them dwarves.

milly balgeary

« Reply #307 on: Jun 01, 2012, 10:59:47 PM »

Anybody got that minecraft on the box?

Chet

« Reply #308 on: Jun 01, 2012, 11:01:35 PM »

gears of war prequel and it looks like baird might be the main character
ugh ugh ugh

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
C of heartbreak

« Reply #309 on: Jun 01, 2012, 11:08:35 PM »

Any key, key things I should know? I know I need to keep them well-stocked with booze, and I understand that well-placed traps are more important than a standing military. Anything pertaining to trading maybe? That whole thing still confuses me.

Training was the most confusing part of the whole thing for me. Fortunately, it seems like you can ignore the whole trading thing in the beginning, when you won't have much worth trading anyway.

I wish I could give you some tips but I haven't played in about a year. I spent about a week playing day-in and day-out until I started thinking of the people around me as dwarves whom I could boss around. Then I sort of put the whole thing down and haven't gone back to it. I think watching a flickering ASCII grid for hours on end sort of drove me crazy.

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
Dick

« Reply #310 on: Jun 02, 2012, 12:38:44 AM »

Alright, I'm sick of playing along with DF tutorials, so I'm just gonna crack a couple beers and go blind from here on out, just consulting the wiki occasionally. May God have mercy on the brave souls of Outpost Atirzanor.

Trading isn't necessary at all unless your fortress isn't self-sufficient.  It's generally more fun to slaughter the caravans anyway, especially if they're elves.

As for anything else you might need to know, well.  Losing is fun.  Just go with it.  You've got plenty of time to get to the point of magma safe screw pump stacks across 137 z-levels to feed your above-ground doomsday device and turing complete computers constructed out of pressure plates and logs.  The real joy of the game is collecting stories about the horrifying skeletal elephant raids and the one time your fisherdwarf got ate by a carp but he was best friends with your grand master wrestler-dwarf who went mad with grief, you watching helplessly as his massive glistening biceps removed the heads and/or limbs of fully 14 unsuspecting dwarves before you were able to lock him in a storeroom to starve, groaning, gnashing his teeth and cursing the blood god as he died in a damp hole in the earth.

Meanwhile I just got Crusader Kings II and it.  is.  awesome.  I'm a massive cockwad of a minor medieval Welsh noble with an intensely fucked up extended family.  Saddling annoying cousins and pretenders to the throne with marriages to barren 37 year old Hungarian courtiers, while taking the pick of the scholarly yet lustful deceivers for my lineal descendants. I'm hoping to get to a cruelly gifted descendant in a few generations who can absorb Ireland and Scotland into some sort of Gaelic counter-hegemony and assassinate a good chunk of the English nobility.  They're coming out with an expansion soon to make the Muslim factions playable.  Yes!

We believe in hydration.
milly balgeary

« Reply #311 on: Jun 02, 2012, 02:18:31 PM »

That minecraft shit was good. Me, Composer Thom, and Agent York Morgan got up in dat shit last night. It's like building legos. Here's the narrative of this world.

I was building a strange edifice on a beach. York Morgan told me to dig down for coal, and I fell into a cavern and I panicked and went into lava and committed suicide. I couldn't find my stuff, turns out it burned in the lava.

I started building another place, and it got dark and I had no torch. I ran around and ended up in another place and never found my stuff again.

I snuck into York Morgan's strange rectangle building and stole his crafting table, then somehow found Composer's and stole his too. I was running around with their shit. I then found a verdant mountaineous area and made it my home. I planted their crafting tables. I found coal and made torches, a door, a bed, and burrowed into the mountain. Then I made stairs. I kept hollowing out and made a large room and ensconced torches high on the wall. Composer found my dwelling and came in, and was appreciative of all my hard work. He came down a set of stairs into a wide room after I ushered him through the door and inadvertantly dropped my wooden sword.

That's right.

Once he was in the room at the bottom, I made it his tomb. I slew him and took his shit and planted some flowers. Agent Morgan found me, and put lava in my house and I guess Composer was coming back to get his revenge, when I ran out of my dwelling, on fire from the lava! I ran into the water, and saw Composer Thom and then I put my sword into his brain stem.

I found him sneaking around my mountain to try to tunnel in, and I killed him again. Morgan took him into his labyrinth to tour his wonders, and Composer stole his forge and such on his way out, and made a beeline for the coast. There was lots of duplicity going on.

I found York Morgan and attacked him with a rock, after my sword broke, and in a near 10 minute chase, in which I almost clubbed the back of his head with cobblestone, he finally turned and in a pitched battle, he slew me. I lay bleeding among the grass and my shadow passed out of this world, ineffectual. Next time I shall forge a ring with my power, and be a fair friend to the dwarves and elves while I build my MORDORRRRRR.

Babar

« Reply #312 on: Jun 02, 2012, 02:41:30 PM »

Were you playing for the first time? Dude, go down DEEP. Like, real real deep into the caves and try to spot some diamonds. Those guys won't have a chance if you have a diamond sword and equipped in iron armor from top to toe. That is, if they haven't done the same thing themselves. Plus, if you have a diamond pick you can acquire some obsidian...

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
milly balgeary

« Reply #313 on: Jun 02, 2012, 02:53:34 PM »

Yes! First time.

Thermofusion

« Reply #314 on: Jun 02, 2012, 03:39:09 PM »

Yeah I always kind of made fun of Minecraft, didn't understand the appeal of it, never really played it before last night. It's awesome as a social game, we had three of us in there building shit. Milly was pulling some straight up H.H. Holmes shit, building this death hotel and inviting unsuspecting dudes like me inside for a spot of tea.

On the flipside, I could see it being a terribly, soul-destroyingly addictive game if you're prone to that sort of thing. I bet that game's ruined the lives of the weaker-dispostioned.

triple paisley minimum
Thermofusion

« Reply #315 on: Jun 02, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »

Playing a bit more at the moment, enjoying it but it's a little boring solo. I like wandering around the countryside, spotting a vein of coal or ore in a high mountain pass and dutifully climbing up there with my pickaxe. But then I find the actual mining part tedious, and I start thinking things like "man, I wonder if I could pay a neighborhood kid to do all the mining for me" and suddenly I'm at a Faustian life intersection where a nice guy like myself could make the wrong decision and become Henry Clay Frick.

triple paisley minimum
Good Intentions

« Reply #316 on: Jun 02, 2012, 08:41:07 PM »

Given that right now I'm juggling a Dwarf Fortress game, a world in Minecraft, and a game of Crusader Kings II, I have pretty much every OCD angle covered with the few hours of video gaming I can squeeze in these days. The few runs I do of The Binding of Isaac trying to squeeze out the last few secrets every now and then counts for that as well, I suppose.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #317 on: Jun 02, 2012, 08:55:33 PM »

First thing I'ma do when this quarter is completely over is download Crusader Kings II and the ASOIF mod.

http://kotaku.com/5913709/there-is-an-awesome-game-of-thrones-video-game-you-can-play-it-right-now

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Babar

« Reply #318 on: Jun 03, 2012, 01:42:02 AM »

Milly

wait, what? was this an lptj-related server? can i get a piece of the action?

Babar

« Reply #319 on: Jun 03, 2012, 01:44:38 AM »

Playing a bit more at the moment, enjoying it but it's a little boring solo. I like wandering around the countryside, spotting a vein of coal or ore in a high mountain pass and dutifully climbing up there with my pickaxe. But then I find the actual mining part tedious, and I start thinking things like "man, I wonder if I could pay a neighborhood kid to do all the mining for me" and suddenly I'm at a Faustian life intersection where a nice guy like myself could make the wrong decision and become Henry Clay Frick.

Yo mo-mo, I'm a class A digger. I'm a cave dweller. I surf on the lava. I'm the neighborhood kid! I get excited when I see lapiz lazuli, that's how much I love digging!

alistarr*

« Reply #320 on: Jun 03, 2012, 09:18:16 AM »

Given that right now I'm juggling a Dwarf Fortress game, a world in Minecraft, and a game of Crusader Kings II, I have pretty much every OCD angle covered with the few hours of video gaming I can squeeze in these days. The few runs I do of The Binding of Isaac trying to squeeze out the last few secrets every now and then counts for that as well, I suppose.

Hey there's new stuff in Binding of Isaac now you know, they released an expansion for like $2 or something which adds LOTS of crazy stuff.

Sorry.
Good Intentions

« Reply #321 on: Jun 03, 2012, 09:32:17 AM »

Yup, way ahead of you.
alistarr*

« Reply #322 on: Jun 03, 2012, 09:47:01 AM »

I didn't get it because I still haven't killed mom even once, and I don't like the sound of the game getting even harder!
Chet

« Reply #323 on: Jun 03, 2012, 09:49:50 AM »

yeah alistarr but what about the lame gears of war news

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
alistarr*

« Reply #324 on: Jun 03, 2012, 09:56:58 AM »

I'm not into it, so I don't know anything about it. Gears 3 did a better job than anyone could've expected of rounding out and finishing off the story, and it also made the gameplay a little bit less fun than the previous games (don't get me wrong, there are awesome bits of fighting still, but some of the new stuff just gets kind of boring once the novelty wears off). So a new game promises basically gameplay that's not quite as good as Gears 1 and 2 with an unnecessary extra bit of story bolted on.

I'll probably skip both this and Halo 4, unless someone makes me get one or the other for co-op purposes.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: you know damn well that gay marriage is now legal in Skyrim (videogames)
Jump to: