Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 26, 2014, 03:38:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658138 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 43 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: Why can't I wake up with the gin already in me? (BOOZE)  (Read 39781 times)
davy

« Reply #125 on: Feb 25, 2012, 10:58:04 PM »

Nice! Expect notes on both.

As for the Balvenie, definitely a lot of sherry in the nose (the last few months of maturation is done in first-fill sherry casks). Dates and honey underneath.

Creamy smooth mouthfeel...

Taste is sweet and mildly citrus, something like lemon drops. Definitely a Speysider -- you always read about that "honeyed sweetness;" that's dominant here, but the sherry adds a dusky layer ... and there's a little bit of cinnamon-roasted almonds in the burn.

This is extremely pleasant stuff. Easy to love.
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2012, 11:27:16 PM by davy » Logged

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #126 on: Feb 25, 2012, 10:58:53 PM »

Just had a ton of work to do, and figured I'd get in some self-experimentation at the same time.

This was my reasoning too, in addition to some slightly troubling medical stuff that ended up being nothing to worry about. I won't say it hugely affected my day-to-day, but I did sleep a lot better and, obviously, didn't have a hangover for about three weeks. And it's since been much easier to scale it back to 2-3 times a week.

Today I got a bottle of the Bruery's Autumn Maple Belgian-style brown (to me that means sour, but I don't think that's what they're getting at). It's brewed with yams. It's also 10.5%; gonna stick it in the back of the closet till next autumn, maybe.

think 'on the road.'
Antero

« Reply #127 on: Feb 25, 2012, 11:40:36 PM »

And it's since been much easier to scale it back to 2-3 times a week.
Yeah, that's the plot.

Maybe 3-4.  But you know.  A little less.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
coldforge

« Reply #128 on: Feb 26, 2012, 02:45:40 AM »

Today I got a bottle of the Bruery's Autumn Maple Belgian-style brown (to me that means sour, but I don't think that's what they're getting at).
I think Flanders-style brown is more directly suggestive of sour than Belgian, maybe?

l'era del terzo mondo.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #129 on: Feb 26, 2012, 06:52:58 AM »

Well, yes and no. Technically Belgian brown isn't a recognized discrete style, so you could be talking about a number of things. You could mean some manner of dubbel, which is usually amber-reddish, or you could mean a brown ale made with dark malts that's been fermented with a Belgian yeast strain and thus has a more estery or fruity quality. Or you could mean a Flanders ale or bruin, in which case you do mean sour. In this case I suspect they mean the second possibility.

think 'on the road.'
davy

« Reply #130 on: Feb 26, 2012, 12:40:45 PM »

So I finished up last night with a Sazerac, right? And you're supposed to coat the glass with Absinthe, then pour it out, but it pains me to waste that shit, so I just drank it instead. And I'm not saying that's the only reason I woke up with a headache from HELL, but it couldn't have helped.

Really happy with the Balvenie, though. I had my second dram with a little water added and decided to stick with neat in the future.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #131 on: Feb 26, 2012, 05:44:44 PM »

Funny, I've had the same bottle of absinthe for more than a year and only use it for making Sazeracs. I don't feel the least bit bad about chucking that few drops.

I've instituted a strict moratorium on future liquor purchases. Kinda went nuts for a little while there and I'm only drinking a few ounces a week anyway so my bar has gotten mad crowded. Still it's nice to have a wide assortment of spirits that I can selectively replenish a few times a year. All of which is to say I bought a bottle of Booker's today. About to have a taste.

think 'on the road.'
Antero

« Reply #132 on: Feb 26, 2012, 05:48:22 PM »

I have three bottles of absinthe in my cupboard, in various states of consumption.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
elpollodiablo

« Reply #133 on: Feb 26, 2012, 05:59:27 PM »

Jimbo, did you know about this? --> http://www.twobrosbrew.com/gluten.htm

Evidently Two Brothers' Prairie Path golden ale is technically gluten-free, because an enzyme they were experimenting with as an organic/vegan method for combating chill haze denatures gluten along with the protein molecules that cause the haze. Why would anyone drink that bullshit buckwheat beer if this were true?

think 'on the road.'
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #134 on: Feb 26, 2012, 06:31:38 PM »

I had no idea and I will definitely look into that later 'cause you know my mom and sister are both on GF diets and though my mom is not a drinker, and beer would not be her choice if she was, there's still hope for my sister Smile

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #135 on: Mar 02, 2012, 10:43:26 PM »

Man, Sixpoint is killin it in these parts. I snagged the last 4 pack of Resin DIPA at the liquor store tonight; they had that and Righteous in for less than a week.

think 'on the road.'
G.C.R

« Reply #136 on: Mar 02, 2012, 11:55:17 PM »

I just bought a bottle of gin! I hardly ever buy bottles of spirits so I'm real excited. Also I've been given the longterm loan of a piano accordion, and plan to recreate the opening chapter of McTeague (minus the dentistry) with these two things.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Ignatius

« Reply #137 on: Mar 03, 2012, 12:08:36 AM »

Remember that time we talked about McTeague and animals? We should pitch in and jointly purchase a giant gold tooth and put it in front of houses in alternating years.
G.C.R

« Reply #138 on: Mar 03, 2012, 12:18:47 AM »

Grand idea, now hush you, I'm practising my six lugubrious airs

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Ignatius

« Reply #139 on: Mar 03, 2012, 12:41:12 AM »

Had a flying squirrel an let him go
The_Tourist

« Reply #140 on: Mar 03, 2012, 01:08:28 AM »

i put pear brandy in my coffee. weird. fruity. but kinda pretty good.

we have the money for missiles and fun
G.C.R

« Reply #141 on: Mar 03, 2012, 06:47:44 AM »

hoes on my dick cos I look lik jebus ben stuck in my had more than a week . I souls not have listen ed to that afain yonight but damn than gin buying was a gggod idea. I hacent hung out with a;; my firends for 2 weeks or so so it was time f talking to good people! it a inning tmr

G.C.R

« Reply #142 on: Mar 03, 2012, 06:50:01 AM »

also a ime to say  I am liking you plames people a lot at the moment. you are a wonderfl group and I .like you a lot. If I am in perason imagine a i am hugging you a lot.  Heart

Ashley

« Reply #143 on: Mar 03, 2012, 08:00:34 AM »

d'aw

dogg you ain't gotta rustle outside in cloaks of darkness and shit
El_Josharino

« Reply #144 on: Mar 03, 2012, 09:02:15 AM »

Great posts.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
davy

« Reply #145 on: Mar 03, 2012, 09:41:47 AM »

Great posts.

fishjim

« Reply #146 on: Mar 03, 2012, 11:23:07 AM »

I just bought a bottle of gin! I hardly ever buy bottles of spirits so I'm real excited. Also I've been given the longterm loan of a piano accordion, and plan to recreate the opening chapter of McTeague (minus the dentistry) with these two things.

MCTEAGUE IS A VERY FAVORITE NOVEL OF MINE

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
Chet

« Reply #147 on: Mar 03, 2012, 11:38:38 AM »

for the longest time i thought southern comfort was whiskey.

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #148 on: Mar 03, 2012, 08:51:13 PM »

Yeah it's a "whiskey-flavored liqueur"

is an American liqueur made from neutral spirits with fruit, spice and whiskey flavourings.[1] The brand was originally created by bartender Martin Wilkes Heron in New Orleans in 1874,[citation needed] and is now owned by the Brown-Forman Corporation. Although the original product contained whiskey, the current formula for Southern Comfort only contains whiskey-tasting flavouring rather than actual whiskey (except for the premium version called "Special Reserve").[1]

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #149 on: Mar 03, 2012, 08:53:54 PM »

also it is terrible

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Why can't I wake up with the gin already in me? (BOOZE)
Jump to: