Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Aug 28, 2014, 01:16:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657918 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 44 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: Why can't I wake up with the gin already in me? (BOOZE)  (Read 35952 times)
davy

« Reply #75 on: Feb 21, 2012, 03:23:55 PM »

Damn, nice!

A warning, though, about these books: They make it hard to be satisfied with what you've got. There's no way I'll be able to wait until I'm done with the Talisker before buying a new bottle. Or two new bottles.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #76 on: Feb 21, 2012, 03:25:16 PM »

Sounds like one a them good problems

think 'on the road.'
davy

« Reply #77 on: Feb 21, 2012, 04:31:14 PM »

Not when you've got as little money as I do right now.

Antero

« Reply #78 on: Feb 21, 2012, 04:34:57 PM »

It's for the best, though - then you can build up a collection and have choices!

Very Happy

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #79 on: Feb 21, 2012, 09:08:40 PM »

Hey how has your sleep been since you've dried out?  I was always a mild insomniac before I started drinking (pre 20).  Now I basically drink myself to sleep every night.  I find that when I take a 4-5 days with zero or very slight alcohol intake, I can't fucking fall to sleep any of those nights.  I'm trying to decide if I'm self medicating insomnia or if that's a withdrawal symptom, and if I took like, a month of alcohol I'd start sleeping again. 

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
elpollodiablo

« Reply #80 on: Feb 21, 2012, 09:10:57 PM »

Personally I sleep a whole *hell* of a lot better when I don't go to bed drunk. If I've really tied one on the night before, it's a virtual certainty I'll get less than six hours of fitful sleep and wake up waaaay too early to be fully rested.

think 'on the road.'
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #81 on: Feb 21, 2012, 09:57:27 PM »

I'm talking more about a nightly (very) strong 4 drinks than anything hangover worthy. I probably finish of two gallons of gin per month during 6hr intervals per night taken with copious water...

Antero

« Reply #82 on: Feb 21, 2012, 10:51:37 PM »

Hey how has your sleep been since you've dried out? 
Not very good.  I tend towards insomnia regardless of circumstances, and I'm not the sort to drink myself to sleep or anything but I find I'm lying there unable to fall asleep.  That was the norm when I was in high school - like, lying there awake for an hour or two.  Ridiculous.

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #83 on: Feb 21, 2012, 11:01:08 PM »

Like, I feel like if I don't have slightly more than I should have, I won't sleep.  I've got to be just a little bit drunk.  If I'm shitfaced, obviously that's worse sleep.  If I've just had a beer or two, that's not really enough to knock me out.  But If I'm rolling like 4-7 deep depending on strength, that's just right.  I go to bed at 11:30, fall asleep at 11:40, and wake up at 7:30.  But if I dry out, it's fall asleep at 3, wake up at 5, wake up at 8, and then try and go to work.  Obviously sometimes my calculations are a hair off and I get a little too drunk, those nights I fall asleep at 12:30, wake up at 7:30, chug water, sleep until 8:30, am late for work, and slam some alka seltzer for nausea. 

Antero

« Reply #84 on: Feb 21, 2012, 11:52:37 PM »

That seems like an iffy system.

Trousers and Pat

« Reply #85 on: Feb 22, 2012, 05:16:05 AM »

unrelated to drinking but if I lie awake in bed for more than half hour I generally just get up and start doing stuff again. I'm kind of a quitter I guess.

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
Antero

« Reply #86 on: Feb 22, 2012, 05:24:28 AM »

If I did that I'd never sleep.

Not like I do much anyhow.

Trousers and Pat

« Reply #87 on: Feb 22, 2012, 05:43:33 AM »

what is it, 2h30 over there?

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
elpollodiablo

« Reply #88 on: Feb 22, 2012, 05:58:58 AM »

Like, I feel like if I don't have slightly more than I should have, I won't sleep.  I've got to be just a little bit drunk.  If I'm shitfaced, obviously that's worse sleep.  If I've just had a beer or two, that's not really enough to knock me out.  But If I'm rolling like 4-7 deep depending on strength, that's just right.  I go to bed at 11:30, fall asleep at 11:40, and wake up at 7:30.  But if I dry out, it's fall asleep at 3, wake up at 5, wake up at 8, and then try and go to work.  Obviously sometimes my calculations are a hair off and I get a little too drunk, those nights I fall asleep at 12:30, wake up at 7:30, chug water, sleep until 8:30, am late for work, and slam some alka seltzer for nausea. 

That's... Kind of a little troubling, brother. 4-7 drinks a night as an average is a hell of a lot

think 'on the road.'
Antero

« Reply #89 on: Feb 22, 2012, 06:24:37 AM »

Yeah, quite.

jess

« Reply #90 on: Feb 22, 2012, 07:58:11 AM »

unrelated to drinking but if I lie awake in bed for more than half hour I generally just get up and start doing stuff again. I'm kind of a quitter I guess.

This is actually exactly what you are supposed to do, with the caveat that you should do something kind of boring to help make you sleepy again, and then go back to bed when you do. Staying in bed when you can't sleep is bad, because then you associate your bed with tossing and turning and trying to sleep and being stressed about not sleeping and that makes insomnia worse.

Freddy, if you take anything to help you sleep (alcohol, sleep meds, whatever) and then you stop taking it, you will have trouble sleeping for a while, but alcohol absolutely fucks with sleep, so you are having less deep sleep with your method, not to mention other problems with drinking that much. If you took two weeks, stopped drinking, and followed strict sleep hygiene guidelines, I would bet that you would start sleeping though. You would have to be willing to lose sleep for a few days though and actually strictly do a bunch of things that you probably wouldn't want to do. Part of it is exactly what trousers said above—you have to wait until you get sleepy before getting in bed, and if you don't fall asleep quickly (I would say 15-20 min), get out of bed, leave the bedroom and do something else until you are sleepy again. No matter how little sleep that leaves you with, you have to get up at the same time every day. No naps ever. No caffeine after 3pm. No evening exercise. Do nothing in the bedroom except sleep and sex.
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #91 on: Feb 22, 2012, 09:14:19 AM »

For lent this year I'm rocking a pretty rigorous workout regime which I imagine will increase sleep, decrease booze intake

coldforge

« Reply #92 on: Feb 22, 2012, 10:54:52 AM »

I got the 2 Brothers Long Haul Session Beer. It's weirdly sour, and not really in a good way.

è l'era del terzo mondo.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #93 on: Feb 22, 2012, 11:03:42 AM »

That's strange. I've found that to be a decent beer in general, though of the 2 beers from that series I have found the other--the Resistance IPA--to be preferable. I have never noticed what I would call a sour taste in the Long Haul, though it does have some citrusy hops and it's quite dry/tannic from oak-aging and that combination could definitely give an impression of sourness.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #94 on: Feb 22, 2012, 11:10:03 AM »

Huh, I haven't had that one. Would definitely agree that the Resistance is quite good, though.

I'm slowly building a Jolly Pumpkin collection in my closet. Just picked up a bottle each of the Maracaibo Especial and the Noel de Calabaza.

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #95 on: Feb 22, 2012, 06:22:05 PM »

Upon further reflection the Talisker is a bit to the peaty side for me, though I'm glad I got the bottle anyway because guests seem to really enjoy it. The Oban is still the best-balanced of what I've got, though I'm slowly coming around to the Glenlivet Nadurra. I'm not used to cask strength scotch, so it's taken a while to puzzle out its discrete charms, but it's very grassy, floral, and malty while still being a kick in the mouth.

think 'on the road.'
Antero

« Reply #96 on: Feb 23, 2012, 02:11:48 AM »

Apparently it is National Margarita Day or something.  The margarita is the most popular cocktail in the world, as well as the most thoroughly bastardized.

2 oz 100% agave blanco tequila, 3/4 oz Cointreau or quality substitute triple sec like Combier, 3/4 oz fresh lime juice, 1/4 oz simple syrup (2:1).  Shake very hard, serve up.  This is the right answer, all other answers are the wrong answer.

coldforge

« Reply #97 on: Feb 23, 2012, 02:16:20 AM »

Cocktail pedantry and sticklerism are well beneath any gentleman.

è l'era del terzo mondo.
davy

« Reply #98 on: Feb 23, 2012, 09:34:22 AM »

Upon further reflection the Talisker is a bit to the peaty side for me, though I'm glad I got the bottle anyway because guests seem to really enjoy it. The Oban is still the best-balanced of what I've got, though I'm slowly coming around to the Glenlivet Nadurra. I'm not used to cask strength scotch, so it's taken a while to puzzle out its discrete charms, but it's very grassy, floral, and malty while still being a kick in the mouth.

I saw Oban in the store yesterday. It's more expensive than I thought.

Also at the store, I noticed that bottles of Macallan 12 - sherry oak are currently being packaged with a free mini bottle of the 18 yr -- which goes for $125+.

Not a bad deal! Might be enough to get me to change my mind about my next purchase.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #99 on: Feb 23, 2012, 09:40:06 AM »

Yeah the Oban was definitely a splurge. I only have a nip of it every couple weeks. When dad was here after Marin was born, I poured us each a snort and then told him he could help himself to anything else on the bar, the Oban excluded, because I was saving it for other special occasions. While I was doing various chores around the apartment, I think he had two or three more.

I went out last night and had three beers and two whiskeys over the course of about three hours. Woke up at 3am with a splitting headache, nausea, the whole bit. Vomited, took some Motrin, iced the head, fell back asleep after about an hour of misery. I cannot put em down like I used to.

think 'on the road.'
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Why can't I wake up with the gin already in me? (BOOZE)
Jump to: