Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 26, 2014, 09:45:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658238 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 59 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: Why can't I wake up with the gin already in me? (BOOZE)  (Read 41141 times)
elpollodiablo

« Reply #250 on: Apr 20, 2012, 12:43:55 PM »

It varies yearly. On the whole I'd say it's an exceptional example of the style, as well as being one of the first in its category. I was slightly underwhelmed this year, blown away last year. I'd still buy it over about 90% of what's sold under the DIPA banner.

think 'on the road.'
jess

« Reply #251 on: Apr 20, 2012, 08:43:15 PM »

Last year's was awesome.

I'm going to fourth or fifth or whatever the Racer 5/Bell's Two Hearted rec. Those are rare IPAs in that they are loved both by IPA-lovers and by people who are just nervously venturing into IPA territory and have been scared off by unbalanced hoppy beers before.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #252 on: May 01, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »

Quote from: Three Floyds
Dark Lord Day has become the success that it is due to the support from the craft beer community. Each year we’ve worked hard for months to improve the experience of the attendees. Dark Lord Day is the only day that Dark Lord is sold. Part of only selling beer at the brewery guarantees that it goes to the consumer at a reasonable cost and that everyone has an equal opportunity to purchase Dark Lord. We do not condone black market sales of Dark Lord, DLD tickets or any other beer that is purchased at our facility. The best way to ensure that black market sales do not happen is for consumers to not patronize the illegal sellers, (this also goes for retailers who engage in price gouging.) There unfortunately is not a practical, legal or cost effective way for us to police after market sales of our limited products or tickets. We have reviewed many options but have found that all of them would affect our mission of making the best beer we possibly can at a reasonable price to the consumer. If you find Dark Lord for sale on a day other than Dark Lord Day and other than at the brewery please understand that without exception, the sale is not legitimate. It is on all of us as a community to try to prevent black market sales. Thank you for your continued support. We look forward to planning an awesome Dark Lord Day 2013.

While I respect that they want to retain some control over the fruits of their labors, I'm pretty goddamn ambivalent about it when it's combined with an artificial scarcity of their own devising. Also the orange bit should read "One of the major benefits of an event like this is that we can charge whatever the blue fuck we feel like due to the hype surrounding the event, thus the only people who should be drinking it are those who come to goddamn Indiana once a year and fork over major skrilla."
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 06:49:11 PM by elpollodiablo » Logged

think 'on the road.'
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #253 on: May 01, 2012, 09:20:38 PM »

Item the first: the skrilla is not major by any means. $15 a bottle is pretty reasonable for an imperial stout that big. Item the second: their production capacity its not that great; what makes you think the scarcity is artificial? Item the third: I was accosted by a series of douchebags offering me coin for bottles upon leaving the brewery. ebay is full of auctions for hundreds per bottle. The problem is real. Item the fourth: motherfucking High On Fire. Argument destroyed.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #254 on: May 02, 2012, 11:26:11 AM »

I'll concede a couple of those points (although I don't care about High on Fire), especially the one about price--I was sure, for whatever reason, that they went for $25, not $15, a bomber. Regardless, Dark Lord is the most overrated beer I've ever tasted, and it seems a little disingenuous for them to complain about the hype that's made them famous nationwide among beer nerds. Additionally, merely complaining about the high price of "bootleg" bottles isn't gonna do a goddamn thing; the only way to drive that price down is to up production, which is going to reduce scarcity, which in turn is going to reduce the cachet and mystique of Dark Lord. So.

think 'on the road.'
Thermofusion

« Reply #255 on: May 02, 2012, 11:47:45 AM »

How does Dark Lord compare to Old Rasputin?

triple paisley minimum
elpollodiablo

« Reply #256 on: May 02, 2012, 11:58:37 AM »

It's better. More complex.

think 'on the road.'
Thermofusion

« Reply #257 on: May 02, 2012, 12:31:54 PM »

In that case ('cause I love Old Rasputin), what's the best Russian imperial that I could probably find at a specialty beer shop?

triple paisley minimum
elpollodiablo

« Reply #258 on: May 02, 2012, 12:39:41 PM »

One of the best I've had in a while was the Oak Aged Yeti from Great Divide Brewing Co., but RIS really aren't much my thing so I ain't buy em often. The *actual* best I've had in a while is the Hoppin Frog D.O.R.I.S. (Double Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout), which was like delicious intensely hoppy & grainy black ichor. I doubt you could get your hands on that one, though, they're a regional out of Akron.

think 'on the road.'
dumbfish

« Reply #259 on: May 02, 2012, 01:49:46 PM »

Thermo, Hoppin Frog exists in NC, at least it does in Durham.

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #260 on: May 02, 2012, 01:55:24 PM »

Hell, that's awesome! Good for them.

In other beer news, my favorite bar in the whole world is getting ready to ramp up their brewing operation and begin canning. This is an interview with their head brewer, with whom I had some English classes in college. Jackie O's is definitely getting a regional reputation, and all they do is extremely limited runs of bombers and draft offerings in SE/central Ohio bars. As that interview indicates, Brad was ahead of the sour/wild trend by several years; Jackie O's had an entire series of sours back when the only widely available craft sour I knew of was the Dogfish Head Festina Peche--around 2007, I'd say.

think 'on the road.'
Thermofusion

« Reply #261 on: May 02, 2012, 04:24:22 PM »

We definitely get Great Divide's stuff in SE NC, will keep an eye out for Hoppin Frog. Just look for the frog holding the beer stein!

triple paisley minimum
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #262 on: May 03, 2012, 09:40:21 AM »

The Craft Brewers Conference, today through Saturday in Mission Valley, catches a young industry on the brink of robust adulthood.

"a young industry on the brink of robust adulthood." Brewing.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #263 on: May 03, 2012, 09:58:05 AM »

Well, craft beer in America.

think 'on the road.'
Dick

« Reply #264 on: May 06, 2012, 12:32:20 AM »

I'm drunk posting like it's 2006 in here.

Where is everybody?  Went to bed early to be fresh for the Sunday half-marathon?  Where are my El_Josharinos?  My YojimboMonkeys?

We believe in hydration.
Good Intentions

« Reply #265 on: May 06, 2012, 12:48:07 AM »

I'm here with a mid-afternoon glass of wine, watching last night's snooker, if that helps.
Ignatius

« Reply #266 on: May 06, 2012, 12:59:43 AM »

I am drink

I am Spurs.

Who want it with me
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #267 on: May 06, 2012, 01:43:41 AM »

Where is everybody?  Went to bed early to be fresh for the Sunday half-marathon?  Where are my El_Josharinos?  My YojimboMonkeys?

Dogg I been drinkin at a kentucky derby party, what you think? I will post pics of my pimp ass suit later

Ignatius

« Reply #268 on: May 06, 2012, 01:54:06 AM »

How do I connect with Dick? DICK!!!! I am moving to Indiana come visit you're my hardest most sensible role model.
Dick

« Reply #269 on: May 06, 2012, 02:25:21 AM »

Where is everybody?  Went to bed early to be fresh for the Sunday half-marathon?  Where are my El_Josharinos?  My YojimboMonkeys?

Dogg I been drinkin at a kentucky derby party, what you think? I will post pics of my pimp ass suit later
I knew I could count on you dogg.  I met you once in a fleeting haze of shame and drunkenness and you made a present to my girlfriend of your excellent mead.  I confess that as I recall, I drank it all.

Ignatius, if you come back to Austin to visit Captain, let me know.  I will drive up special to meet you and everything.  We can have proper dinner at a restaurant favored by like computer programmers and indie rock musicians.  Seriously.

I have not met anyone LPTJ in Houston.  lucky strike where you at dogg?  I convinced myself that this guy at the scout niblett show at fitzgerald's last year was you but I have no idea why I came to that conclusion.  
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 02:27:20 AM by Dick » Logged

We believe in hydration.
Dick

« Reply #270 on: May 06, 2012, 02:29:49 AM »

Apparently howardfinkel is in Austin now?  I remember hm and I drove him home to his dorm at Loyola after the MKE Gandalfs show in 2007 or whenever, when I met Jeb and el_Josh/etc.  He was a nice young boy.

We believe in hydration.
Ignatius

« Reply #271 on: May 06, 2012, 02:37:23 AM »

It looks like Tim Duncan prolly won't retire after this season and that Captain may well stay in Austin and that South Texas is as appealing as ever, so if and when I will let you know. Wouldn't it be CRAZY to have a trans-Indiana/Texas LPTJ contingent? Would it drive the Chicago/Milwaukeeans and New Yorkers straight wild to have such an one who preferred elsewhere?

Who has had some of the beers? I have.
Ignatius

« Reply #272 on: May 06, 2012, 02:42:48 AM »

It would be like, the I-10 to I-35 to KC to I-70 Contingent. The True Spine of America. Lets get jackets made.
Chet

« Reply #273 on: May 06, 2012, 12:21:52 PM »

went to the off licence. picked some stuff up.

representing your america HARD.

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #274 on: May 06, 2012, 12:34:37 PM »

"Pimp ass suit" may have been a bit of an exaggeration

But we had a derby party, I smoked a couple of pork butts and made a Vidalia onion barbecue sauce, we brewed a mint julep flavored beer for the occasion (and drank plenty of actual mint juleps too)

Also the ladies looked beautiful

I guess we just like any old dumb excuse to have a party.

xpost: oh hey do they still make Lowenbrau?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Why can't I wake up with the gin already in me? (BOOZE)
Jump to: