Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 31, 2014, 07:43:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657809 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 72 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cats & behbehs  (Read 1349 times)
elpollodiablo

« on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:59:52 PM »

Obviously relevant to us and to at least one other regular poster I can think of. Just looking for general thoughts & advice on mixing the two. Our cats have been pretty cool so far; Velcro was totally unbothered and didn't even seem interested, really, while Wriothesley has been *super* curious. He pricks his ears up whenever she's crying and when she's not, he's either looking for her (like when Danielle is nursing her and he can't really see her) or he's crouched across the room, staring at the bassinet (he's always liked to watch us, so I'm not surprised). He's gotten into the bassinet once while she was out of it, which is totally unacceptable and for which he was scolded & sprayed. We're going to get some strong netting and devise a way to keep him out of it, just in case. Other than that, though, I think it's all good.

think 'on the road.'
mixed cats

« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2012, 08:26:04 PM »

I am sort of but not really worried about this.. No one I know who had cats before babies had much of a problem getting the cats adjusted. They're curious at first and may not like it, but eventually they get over it and everything is normal. It might be different if you had Satan-cats, but your kitties are good.

My cats are really good so I'm not worried about their behavior.. But the future baby room is currently their playroom. Linus is so needy and cuddly, and I'm not sure if he'll try to snuggle the baby or what. I can lock them out of the room upstairs, but if I decide to keep the baby in our bedroom at first (going upstairs every couple of hours in the middle of the night sounds like no fun!), it won't really be possible. He'll paw at the door and cry ALL NIGHT.

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
kadiekatRN

« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2012, 06:42:49 PM »

My cats have adjusted pretty well, but their relationship with the baby is evolving as he becomes more aware of them.  My needier cat is actually doing better than the more chill one.  Both have been curious about him and both have tried to step over him in order to get to F or I--obviously this is a no-no.  They both learned pretty quickly once that line was drawn.  The needier cat had also been found wiggling around in the crib a couple times, but has not done so since she was thrown out and scolded (last time was a couple months ago).

The biggest thing now is that the more chill cat is definitely getting chubbier, and she has been naughty at times, presumably for attention.  No marking or anything, just knocking things over and the like.  I look forward to when the baby is a little more independent and I can pay the cats more attention again. 

My advice, I guess, would be to draw boundaries early and often.  Also try to make time to play with and cuddle the cats so they don't get jealous.  Luckily the cats can't get to his crib at night b/c the door is closed.  That was the one advantage of not having him in our room--the cats can still sleep with us if they want.  Usually they sleep in the living room, but they come and cuddle me in the early morning.
peacocks

« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2012, 08:24:05 PM »

My mom said the cat didn't start being a problem until I learned to crawl/walk and she started peeing on everything.

dick-check your priviledge
Anne the Man

« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2012, 10:11:15 PM »

If I were a cat I too would start being a problem if your mother were peeing on everything.

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
peacocks

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2012, 12:47:53 AM »

Well, you know what I mean. There's no time for pronoun specification when on a phone.

clare

« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2012, 01:47:32 AM »

Mine were fine with E. They never tried to get into where he was sleeping, though they did get in the pram a few times when it was in the lounge room.

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
nonotyet

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2012, 09:26:41 AM »

There is a story that my parents liked to tell:
when I was a tiny baby, our cat, Maud, was so jealous of my existence that once my mom walked into the room where my bassinet was and Maud was standing on her hind paws, by all appearances trying to push the bassinet over. She eventually adjusted to my existence, and I exacted my revenge when I was five by making her play dress-up.
I know very little about cats (I developed pretty severe allergies to them later in life and Maud died when I was 7 or 8), but I do know that they are generally way too dignified to play dress-up.       
Ashley

« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2012, 10:38:09 AM »

My parents had to get rid of their cat Czar when my brother was a baby because Czar kept peeing on my brother's face.

I am two years younger than my brother, but when I was 6 I wrote a book about Czar and it was all about how great of a cat he was even though I never met him.

dogg you ain't gotta rustle outside in cloaks of darkness and shit
hannah

« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2012, 11:45:29 AM »

My two favorite pictures of myself as a baby both involve my cat Crocodile, also born in 1984, curled up next to me. I may have one of them here with me. If so, I will subject you all to it later today.

edit:

There's one of me as a newborn, too, but I think it's at my mom's apartment. Anyhow:

Weird cropping because my mom decided mid-diaper change would be a perfect time to snap a photo of her beloved daughter. Also: I am lying on what would later become my security blanket. Memories!
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2012, 01:09:05 PM by hannah » Logged
fishjim

« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2012, 12:18:44 PM »

Our cat Charlotte (RIP! sniff) was totally chill with both behbehs, but that may have been because she was old. I haven't heard of any cat violence against infants in my circles, though I know a few cats that peed on everything.

Oh and pollo - CONGRATS YOU HAPPY ROOSTER!
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2012, 12:23:33 PM by fishjim » Logged

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
hannah

« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2012, 01:09:50 PM »

My parents had to get rid of their cat Czar when my brother was a baby because Czar kept peeing on my brother's face.

I am two years younger than my brother, but when I was 6 I wrote a book about Czar and it was all about how great of a cat he was even though I never met him.

This is an excellent story, btw. Younger sisters are the best.
Ashley

« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2012, 01:30:33 PM »

When I was in grade 1  I wrote a story about I wasn't allowed to have a cat because my father was allergic, and how I felt he should be made to live in the shed so I could have a cat.  Complete with cat clip art and a hand drawn image of my father in a bed in the shed.

I just really wanted a cat.

mixed cats

« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2012, 05:37:16 PM »

My real hugest fear is allergies because I would be sorely tempted to get rid of the baby and not my cats. (I am only kind of kidding.) Bill is allergic to everything in the world and I secretly blame his formula-fedness. I'm like, "I will breastfeed the shit out of this baby because THERE WILL BE NO MORE ALLERGIES IN THIS HOUSE."

Ashley and nny you are wonderful

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
Ashley

« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2012, 06:28:16 PM »

My mom used to tell me stories about how when she was little she would have like 20 cats at time.  She would find a cat on the street and take it home and it would be her cat.  Every night she would stand in the doorway of her house and call out to all of her cats so they would come home to bed.  If she couldn't get all of them in her father would have to go out and find them.  She also used to dress them up and push them around in a pram.

About a year ago I met a girl at the university who grew up across the street from my mother and my grandparent's store.  She said "Oh yes! I know Tilley's store.  They stole my dead cat!"  and she told me that her cat snowball had gotten hit by a car in front of the store, and my mother thought it was her cat and took it and buried it.  Later my mother's cat came home and they realized the cat they had buried wasn't the cat they thought it was.  Then the girl's family came to the store to ask them to keep an eye out for the cat, and my mother had to tell them what happened.

My mother says that story isn't true but it fucking should be.  I mean, the combination of the girl knowing the store (rare!) and about my mother's cat craziness is too perfect.

I'm sorry, is this a cat and baby thread?

I had to grow up with all the ridiculous stories about cats and I was SO CRAZY ABOUT CATS and I never got a cat until I was 10 and I never got my OWN cat until I was 17 and now she is on the other side of the country and it is so hard to find a roommate that is not allergic to cats.  If you raise your bebes to be cat loverz let them have cats.  (Instead, I had catz).

reebty

« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2012, 07:48:05 AM »

I don't why you'd want kids anyway when you could just have cats.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:02:45 AM »

You can't teach a cat to run a lawnmower

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
reebty

« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:51:39 AM »

I'm taking that as a challenge.
kadiekatRN

« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2012, 09:20:10 AM »

The frequent state of my lap (please ignore flabby tummy):

« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2012, 09:23:16 AM by kadiekatRN » Logged
peacocks

« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2012, 09:41:03 AM »

I want to Being John Malkovitch you!

Babar

« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2012, 09:53:44 AM »

I want to Malkovitch the cat

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
clare

« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2012, 06:29:34 PM »

That is awesome Katie. None of my three are lap cats, but I did have a lap baby like that :-)

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
Pages: [1]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: Cats & behbehs
Jump to: