Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 02, 2014, 03:04:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657942 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 83 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: I'm a little bit naked, but that's okay: new clothes thread  (Read 25064 times)
Em

« Reply #75 on: Feb 01, 2012, 03:36:41 PM »

- sheer black leggings
- black and grey mid-calf boots
- black micro-mini skirt with diagonal zippers in the front
- black camisole
- white tank top with miniature gold studs
- fingerless grey gloves
- floppy wool hat

what went right: pretty sure i look super hot today guys
what went wrong: ok, it's a little chilly, but, but SPRINGTIME IN NEW YORK
jebreject

« Reply #76 on: Feb 01, 2012, 03:47:48 PM »

i thought we were supposed to um post pictures in this um thread

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #77 on: Feb 01, 2012, 03:52:36 PM »

SPRINGTIME IN NEW YORK

mystically transferred to january

i ain't even wearin' a coat

Em

« Reply #78 on: Feb 01, 2012, 03:56:53 PM »

SPRINGTIME IN NEW YORK

mystically transferred to february

fixed
Em

« Reply #79 on: Feb 01, 2012, 03:58:29 PM »

i thought we were supposed to um post pictures in this um thread

jeb, i ain't got access to a full-length mirror, but just for you, i had a co-worker take a snap. i am the least photogenic person on the planet, however:

Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #80 on: Feb 01, 2012, 04:14:22 PM »

SPRINGTIME IN NEW YORK

mystically transferred to february

fixed

what is a month even

Antero

« Reply #81 on: Feb 01, 2012, 09:20:29 PM »

That's a very nice-looking suit coat!
Nice dimple!
Thanks, yo.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
jebreject

« Reply #82 on: Feb 01, 2012, 09:33:19 PM »

Em, I love the gloves!

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Em

« Reply #83 on: Feb 01, 2012, 09:51:05 PM »

Thanks! They're kinda ... necessary right now, if you catch my drift (see depression thread, boo, hiss), but I dig 'em so I don't mind.

Edit: That was an ungracious way of saying thanks, they make me feel like a rockstar!
Anne the Man

« Reply #84 on: Feb 01, 2012, 09:57:31 PM »

I dig the sunflower tattoo. Can't tell what the other ones are, but nice.

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
Em

« Reply #85 on: Feb 01, 2012, 10:02:28 PM »

Thanks Anne! The piece on my left shoulder is a lot of pink apple blossoms that wrap around plus this weird sci-fi lookin' art-deco butterfly, and the piece on my left forearm is sage. All shall be tied together one day far in the future!
Ignatius

« Reply #86 on: Feb 01, 2012, 11:06:04 PM »

You are a lovely garden!
Em

« Reply #87 on: Feb 01, 2012, 11:09:22 PM »

Why thank you!
Ashley

« Reply #88 on: Feb 02, 2012, 12:59:50 AM »

damn yo

dogg you ain't gotta rustle outside in cloaks of darkness and shit
nonotyet

« Reply #89 on: Feb 08, 2012, 09:51:43 AM »

This is the second time in the space of four months that the underwire on the left cup of my bra has broken. I am tiring of this. The left one is bigger than the right one (suck my left one &c) but I did not think it was COLLAPSING UNDERWIRES BIGGER.
cold before sunrise

« Reply #90 on: Feb 08, 2012, 11:52:29 AM »

while in the dominican republic i was tempted to take a 3-hour taxi away from the resort to visit the largest slave trading post and market on the island

no commentary needed, probably

what is that supposed to mean? you must be kidding. do you still think of me as some kind of cartoon villain? until visiting the island i didn't know it was still a thing but the sugar plantations of the dominican republic are all manned by slaves. if you use cane sugar for your coffee or in baking or anything at all then chances are you're directly supporting slavery. not wage slaves or another modern equivalent but actual auctioned-off-at-the-public-market human beings as privately owned commodities. if you break it down a percentage of every bag of sugar you buy is a small monetary incentive to the landowner, in support of his misdeeds. that's not on me.  

it's admirable that you sew your own clothes and i'm learning to do the same, found a seamstress on kijiji.ca to assist me along the way, and i'm fully into supporting local designers who do small batch runs like quality was in the 50's and 60's. how sorely disappointing it was when rag and bone began outsourcing to china, since they built their reputation on utilizing american artisan craftsmanship, it used to be my favourite brand. having products made in china is reprehensible. chinese made goods are so cheap because in guangdong, where most manufacturers are located, the average worker is a 17- to 25-year-old female who works 16 hours a day, 6 or 7 days a week, for about $50/month. living in squalid dorms with a bed as their own possession. even gucci and burberry outsource a percentage of their labour to china (just enough so they can have a nearly completed item mailed back to be finished in europe and have a 'made in italy' or 'made in britain' tag attached), which is pretty shameful and certainly makes me feel like a chump, having paid $1500 for a coat that was probably mostly constructed by a miserable young girl for less than $5. that's on my head.

a friend recently introduced me to the peta list and i won't buy neutrogena again. if they tortured animals to make it, i'm not funding that. my decision to opt out might be a drop in the bucket but that's one drop withheld, a little personal accountability. supporting bad business practices through careless unawareness inadvertently makes you actively involved in child smuggling and puppy abuse, a participant of the dark side. that kind of evil isn't even fun, just selfish and lazy. hey l'oreal! what are you feeding pounds of mascara to dogs for? it's not acceptable to fund these activities by buying products from companies who are known for ethical fails. i consider this is all quite important commentary! if you don't? well... if you don't understand the importance of not personally contributing to making the suffering of others profitable then you might as well be a serial killer for how much heart that takes.

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
Antero

« Reply #91 on: Feb 08, 2012, 10:58:49 PM »

Hear hear.

---

This needs to go somewhere:

Thank you photoshop.

Ignatius

« Reply #92 on: Feb 08, 2012, 11:21:31 PM »

I bought more clothes in the past two days than I have in the past six years. I don't know what I'm doing yet. But I went to Uniqlo because coldforge said so before he went no-things.

It's pretty much a given if I want nice shoes that I can't keep up my aversion to leather, right? I buy jeans with leather labels, so I guess I'm not fully strict about it. But I really have no other options when it comes to anything but sneakers, correct?
Antero

« Reply #93 on: Feb 08, 2012, 11:36:08 PM »

Yep.  If you want nice shoes they will be made of leather.

Ignatius

« Reply #94 on: Feb 08, 2012, 11:38:44 PM »

Shucks. Can nice shoes last a very long time, at least? With the help of a decent cobbler, perhaps?
Antero

« Reply #95 on: Feb 08, 2012, 11:43:45 PM »

Nice shoes can last ages if properly cared for.  That means regular polishing, shoe trees, occasional resoling, &c.  Has to be good to start though, not corrected grain leather.

Ignatius

« Reply #96 on: Feb 08, 2012, 11:46:18 PM »

All right... A guy _needs_ what, a pair of lace-up oxfords, loafers, and like some desert boots? That's the bare minimum? What is a thing called if it's NOT corrected grain leather?
coldforge

« Reply #97 on: Feb 08, 2012, 11:56:37 PM »

Full grain. And you can skip the loafers. What you really need to do is strongly differentiate between dress shoes and casual/sneakers. That is, don't try to split the difference with shoes you can 'dress down or up'. No hybrids. They look terrible in all contexts. Get some nice oxfords and some sneakers you like. All else is optional, though if you aim to have any flexibility in your dress, you're going to want at least one pair of nice brown shoes and one pair of nice black shoes, to go with your black and brown belts. 

l'era del terzo mondo.
Ignatius

« Reply #98 on: Feb 09, 2012, 12:03:41 AM »

I have no interest in splitting the difference. I hate those shoes that have chunky rubber soles and fancy leather uppers more than almost anything. It's reasonable to start with shoes before the rest of the clothes, though, right? You can't pull off anything after all if you're wearing like, keds.
coldforge

« Reply #99 on: Feb 09, 2012, 12:31:02 AM »

Yeah. And a nice pair of oxfords will go with jeans no problem.

One tends to differentiate: 'I need one pair of black, one pair of brown.' Then: 'One pair of black dress, one pair of black sneakers, one pair of brown dress, one pair of brown sneakers.' Then: '... one of black oxfords, one of black brogues.' Et cetera. So basically it's a matter of finding the level of differentiation you're comfortable with and filling those slots.

l'era del terzo mondo.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 32
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: I'm a little bit naked, but that's okay: new clothes thread
Jump to: