Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 30, 2014, 01:04:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657806 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 66 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Moon Bases Not Moon Lassos: New LOLConservatives Thread  (Read 11854 times)
Good Intentions

« Reply #250 on: Feb 14, 2012, 03:43:57 PM »

But I think anybody with an interest or sympathy for human beings (maybe even human beings above reason!) should be able to develop a more nuanced picture of a quality—religious belief—that has existed for every human culture, everywhere, since recorded history.
This isn't true, not for any substantive definition of religious belief. Every society has some kind of overarching moral belief system (more or less by definition), and in many religious societies these belief systems are grounded in religion. But in many other societies they aren't. Confucianism is an excellent example. Many more societies have supernatural beliefs, but again, supernatural beliefs aren't necessarily religious. The (still surprisingly widespread) Nordic belief in elves and fairies isn't religious, for instance.

In particular, the type of religion discussed here - an institution which codifies a way of life by way of supernatural warrant - is relatively rare in one way of counting (by number of distinct societies). The majority of animist or totemist societies can't be described that way, for instance. If you're counting by numbers of adherents, they are of course prevalent - that's an interest fact.
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2012, 03:47:11 PM by Good Intentions » Logged
elpollodiablo

« Reply #251 on: Feb 14, 2012, 04:02:05 PM »

That's a pretty fine hair you're splitting there.

think 'on the road.'
coldforge

« Reply #252 on: Feb 14, 2012, 04:11:23 PM »

Yeah, I don't really feel any need to engage with that point.

è l'era del terzo mondo.
Good Intentions

« Reply #253 on: Feb 14, 2012, 04:12:25 PM »

Hey, we all gotta make a living somehow.

I still support cf's larger point, of course.
Babar

« Reply #254 on: Feb 14, 2012, 05:29:28 PM »

Coldforge, you've gotten your points across in a very tactful manner and I agree with you on most of them and have only a few qualms with your overall assessment. Thank you for engaging with me. You're a good writer, keep it up.

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
coldforge

« Reply #255 on: Feb 14, 2012, 05:35:14 PM »

would you like to pray with me, babar

è l'era del terzo mondo.
Little Sixes Little Nines

« Reply #256 on: Feb 14, 2012, 06:33:14 PM »

just come to our meeting! you don't have to sing with us or anything, it'll just be fun!

i just sighed (my shitty tumblr)
fishjim

« Reply #257 on: Feb 14, 2012, 07:09:54 PM »

I was thinking we could end with a hymn.

"Anathema" by Flaming Tusk

The sword-thrust, not the salve I bring!
Look not to me for healing tropes
You damn yourself
Your dogma spoils all you touch
Pulled down by the weight of a putrid God
Unnatural
Reviled, despised
Made sick with the pleasure of lie
The rapist’s life

Repulsive, diseased, faith between your knees
In vomit your wallow
Unsightly illustration of a vacuum deity
Is there but flesh and soul
Honest was Sodom!
And will you be there when your makers tells you to go
Man has willed man, and where will you stand when you go

Go! Tell your God I approach!
Tell your priests they rule nothingness
Stampede down the temple walls
Abandon the afterlife
Speak the Anathema, strike down

Downward flows the collected shit of your false laws
Crest by crest
Can you see what your maker wills your to be
Bloody, honest, grotesque
Expectorant membrane spreads death to all thought as you--

Tell your priests they rule nothingness
Stampede down the temple walls
Abandon the afterlife
I am desire made whole
Rise up and strike down your soul
Speak the Anathema, and go!
I am the Anathema, strike down!

Speak the Anathema
Go!
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2012, 07:12:41 PM by fishjim » Logged

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
fishjim

« Reply #258 on: Feb 14, 2012, 07:24:09 PM »

I wasn't there, you know, but I bet Jesus sounded a lot like Flaming Tusk to the Pharisees.

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
Anne the Man

« Reply #259 on: Feb 20, 2012, 11:59:31 PM »

So a google of 'polyamory and politics' led me to stumbling on this quite by accident: http://www.cpportal.org/k/n22654/news/view/434397/383320/The-culture-of-monogamy-vs-the-culture-of-polyamory.html

In the culture of monogamy all human life is sacred and protected, be it the pre-born, the handicapped or the elderly.  In the culture of polyamory about one third of the pre-born are killed by their mothers, and the handicapped and elderly are unwelcome and increasingly vulnerable to early elimination.

and

By controlling these three areas (education of children, sex education and adolescent health) the culture of polyamory diminishes the influence and dismantles the authority and influence of parents of the culture of monogamy particularly in their ability to form their children as members of their own culture.  One could say they “snatch” children away from their parents and from the culture of monogamy.

It goes on to say that monogamous people pay more taxes to support the 'currently dominating' polyamory culture, so maybe they should split into two bureaucracies and people can join whichever culture they want. Plus your usual 'women should dress more modestly' stuff.

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?

« Reply #260 on: Feb 21, 2012, 02:16:29 AM »

googling 'polyamory and politics' is kind of asking for trouble, though

dieblucasdie

« Reply #261 on: Feb 23, 2012, 03:10:26 PM »

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/291167/careful-what-you-wish-deroy-murdock

In which an NRO writer actually makes the argument that we can't have nice things because conservatives are such assholes

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
coldforge

« Reply #262 on: Feb 23, 2012, 03:13:43 PM »

That actually seems like a pretty coherent argument; Obamacare and Santorumcare are equally abhorrent because they're both in equal violation of the conservative principle of small government.

è l'era del terzo mondo.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #263 on: Feb 23, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »

To me it just reads like an argument for not electing Santorum

dieblucasdie

« Reply #264 on: Feb 23, 2012, 03:51:39 PM »

But FINE coldforge, how about this one:

http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/jeannieology/120219

this whole thing may have nothing to do with reproductive rights at all. Foisting contraception and abortion on everyone but Muslims would, in the long term, assist Barack Obama in extending 'fairness' by forcibly altering the Judeo-Christian complexion of America and ensuring that we truly are "no longer a Christian nation."

coldforge

« Reply #265 on: Feb 23, 2012, 03:53:26 PM »

Blucas, have you ever read The Culture of Critique? I think you'd like it.

è l'era del terzo mondo.
cold before sunrise

« Reply #266 on: Feb 24, 2012, 08:06:17 AM »

That actually seems like a pretty coherent argument; Obamacare and Santorumcare are equally abhorrent because they're both in equal violation of the conservative principle of small government.

healthcare doesn't require expanding government so much as allocating public funds to where they are most required. did obama ever get to computerizing national medical records? it shocked me that this wasn't already in place in the modern world since it's unsafe for medical professionals to not have your complete health history readily available and legible.

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #267 on: Feb 25, 2012, 12:42:31 PM »

Man, the sanctimoniousness of so many of my friends re: Obama-right-or-wrong makes me kinda want to join Babar's side. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make it through this election without posting a whole bunch of dickish replies to wall photos of Obama with lists of his accomplishments

elpollodiablo

« Reply #268 on: Feb 25, 2012, 12:44:36 PM »

Some day you'll be mature enough to ignore all of the repugnant capitulations and needless compromises, blucas.

think 'on the road.'
jebreject

« Reply #269 on: Feb 25, 2012, 04:59:36 PM »

At this point I think Obama is actively trying to get me to campaign against him rather than just simply not voting for him

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.

« Reply #270 on: Feb 26, 2012, 11:14:09 PM »

what about obama don't you agree with atm?

genuine question, this thread is pretty much my only source of info on US politics.

Anne the Man

« Reply #271 on: Feb 26, 2012, 11:24:26 PM »

I just reread this thrad and the one before, to learn about Ron Paul, and thank you dudes for you are helpful! Unfortunately I can't/won't cite LPTJ threads in articles; if y'all could provide me with a few resources I'd be grateful. I did notice, though, that in more recent times Babar would bring up something bad Obama did, and then the rest of you would go "WELL HOW IS RON PAUL MEANT TO FIX THAT" and/or accuse Babar of trolling when he hadn't mentioned Ron Paul in the OP at all. So, uh, way to start your own flamewars out of nonexistent trolling.

All the same, best level of commentary I've seen on Ron Paul. I was disappointed that Sherwood Ross, a writer I mostly like, wrote a naive thing called Only Ron Paul warns of us turning into fascist state, and even Jon frickin Stewart seems to be sticking up for him.

Marinus said to me in Auckland that I should always remember that politicians can afford to be idealistic when they're not in a position of power, but once they're in they'll compromise and compromise. So I should remember not to get excited about anyone running for office, because they're all cunts. Unfortunately I can't cite THAT either.

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
Ignatius

« Reply #272 on: Feb 26, 2012, 11:31:16 PM »

Get real
Antero

« Reply #273 on: Feb 27, 2012, 12:16:01 AM »

Seems like Paul has a mutual nonagression pact with Romney.  He's calling Santorum a fake to his face, he went after Newt with knives out.  Weird.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
Good Intentions

« Reply #274 on: Feb 27, 2012, 12:32:19 AM »

I did notice, though, that in more recent times Babar would bring up something bad Obama did, and then the rest of you would go "WELL HOW IS RON PAUL MEANT TO FIX THAT" and/or accuse Babar of trolling when he hadn't mentioned Ron Paul in the OP at all. So, uh, way to start your own flamewars out of nonexistent trolling.
See: The boy who cried wolf.

Ron Paul is such a bad joke of a candidate that you won't find a lot of substantive engagement with his views, in the same way you won't find substantive engagement with Lyndon LaRouche. It's an indication of just how badly American education and intellectualism has slipped that somebody who is so ignorant of a lot of the basic results regarding the issues he keeps wheeling in can be treated at all seriously. Any time somebody proposes, for instance, that you use the free market to provide healthcare, you can write them off as a illiterate yahoo, since it was demonstrated in the fucking 1950s that the healthcare market could come close to the levels of information in the marketplace which (the proofs of the benevolence of free market economies are predicated on perfect information, or at least a decent facsimile, meaning that its transparent where the money you are paying goes to and what the other options for your dollar are and how effective the alternatives would be - Kenneth Arrow showed that if there's one place that won't be the case, healthcare is it). One example among many. Krugman, in one of his angrier pieces, did write an editorial aiming at one major plank of Paul's programme here. There's almost certainly something better out there (you probably shouldn't write when you're angry, and that goes for Krugman the same as for the rest of us), but that's a start.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Moon Bases Not Moon Lassos: New LOLConservatives Thread
Jump to: