Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 01, 2014, 07:28:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657934 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 75 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 26
Print
Author Topic: It's Only People Pretending: New TV thread  (Read 48838 times)
jebreject

« on: Feb 05, 2012, 08:56:45 AM »

Man, how about this new season of Justified, eh?

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2012, 08:58:48 AM »

Please spoiler-guard to the extent that it's possible. I've been meaning to rewatch the last few episodes of se. 2 and haven't gotten around to it yet, so I haven't started se. 3 yet. Good, though?

think 'on the road.'
jebreject

« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2012, 09:11:47 AM »

Intense, so far.

jebreject

« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2012, 09:20:41 AM »

(I didn't really have much to say. I mostly just wanted to quickly and quietly kill that other thread.)

DanielBurns11

« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2012, 12:59:50 PM »

So I just recently finished Friday Night Lights, and now I need something to fill the big empty hole where it used to be. I tried Switched at Birth but it's fucking terrible. Any (Netflix instant streaming) suggestions?

clare

« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2012, 05:00:49 PM »

The bloke got snared by this the other night http://www.abc.net.au/tv/thestraits/ I suspect you won't be able to watch it unless you're here, so here's a wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Straits. With Rachel Ward on the list of directors, Louis Nowra on the list of writers, and Rena Owen on the list of actors, I can't see how it can go wrong. It was a bit violent and dark for my liking, but as I said, the bloke thought it was great.

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
jebreject

« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2012, 10:09:58 PM »

So I just recently finished Friday Night Lights, and now I need something to fill the big empty hole where it used to be. I tried Switched at Birth but it's fucking terrible. Any (Netflix instant streaming) suggestions?

If you haven't seen any of the following, I guess, which are all on Netflix:

Breaking Bad, Twin Peaks, Veronica Mars, Battlestar Galactica, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, ummmm ...

dieblucasdie

« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2012, 12:58:33 AM »

Also, Party Down and Dead Like Me. I'd especially rep the latter, knowing what I know of DB11.

On a non-Netflix-tip, I've been catching up on Chuck, since it just ended its run. Despite loving it through S1-S2, I gave up on it late-S3, because of things-we-can-talk-about-if-anyone-else-cares, but it's really charming and sweet and light-hearted throughout. Light, but well-written and well-wrought emotionally, and with good performances all around. And, without exaggeration, I don't think any show in the history of television has been so adept at using guest casting. They did it over and over again, with has-been and flash-in-the-pan alike, seamlessly.  Even Nicole fucking Ritchie ca 2007 seemed like a part of that world.
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2012, 01:04:11 AM by dieblucasdie » Logged

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2012, 10:50:57 AM »

My kids today were discussing Breaking Bad as allegory for the American worker and free enterprise. It was pretty awesome.

think 'on the road.'
hannah

« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2012, 11:23:51 AM »

On a non-Netflix-tip, I've been catching up on Chuck, since it just ended its run. Despite loving it through S1-S2, I gave up on it late-S3, because of things-we-can-talk-about-if-anyone-else-cares, but it's really charming and sweet and light-hearted throughout.

I care! Because I think that's when I gave up on it, too.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2012, 11:49:37 AM »

Well, then you probably know as well as I do the problems with S3: the mishandling of the Shaw character and Brandon Routh, the annoying way Sarah was made into a plot device instead of a character, the increasing ridiculousness of the ongoing story arcs. (It should be noted that these things are not entirely the show's fault. NBC unexpectedly picked up the back 9 episodes in both S3 and S4, then unexpectedly renewed it. They did 5 episodes they thought would be the series finale before the real one).

S4 definitely has some of the same problems, but it's saved by a really awesome guest run by Timothy Dalton, and by the show realizing that it didn't have to keep finding ways to keep Chuck and Sarah apart. If you just watch it to enjoy the character interactions and the overall goofy-retro tone, realizing that the quality of the plot is going to vary wildly on an episode-by-episode basis (the S4 episode "Chuck vs. Phase 3" might be the best in the show's entire run, for example, and the S4 episode "Chuck vs. The Aisle of Terror" might be the lamest), you'll still really enjoy it.
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2012, 11:52:25 AM by dieblucasdie » Logged

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2012, 11:16:17 PM »

On my own tonight. Some Buck Rogers gon get watched.

So I've finally opened the box set of this I have. Pretty jarring difference in production values between the 2-part opener and the remainder. It's a pretty mixed bag quality-wise too. Some of it's hilariously bad and some of it's just bad. But it's mostly entertaining.

The fights are just ludicrously awful though. They're constantly having Buck Rogers do these roundhouse kicks and dude can hardly lift his foot above his knee.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2012, 11:19:27 PM »

Also Ian laughs uproariously any time Twiki says anything which is entertaining in itself

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Thermofusion

« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2012, 11:36:47 PM »

Is it me or are Twiki's "BIDI BIDI BIDI"s incredibly, horribly loud compared to the rest of the sound mix? I was watching that shit with my system on and every time Twiki spoke my whole living room rattled.

triple paisley minimum
davy

« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2012, 02:53:41 PM »

Is it me or are Twiki's "BIDI BIDI BIDI"s incredibly, horribly loud compared to the rest of the sound mix? I was watching that shit with my system on and every time Twiki spoke my whole living room rattled.

It is loud, but it's also kind of essential. It's absence would bother me, I think. It's like the irregular heartbeat of the show.

I do wish they had increased the volume on the things Twiki actually says (with words).

In related news, I sort of accidentally won this unopened 1979 action figure of Dr. Huer on Ebay last week:

L wasn't impressed.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Thermofusion

« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2012, 01:18:38 AM »

I'm up at 1:17 AM and downloading The River, cause ya homeboy 'mo-'mo wants his riparian entertainments, in the Hyacinth Bucket sense

triple paisley minimum
davy

« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2012, 08:57:43 AM »

I'm up at 1:17 AM and downloading The River, cause ya homeboy 'mo-'mo wants his riparian entertainments, in the Hyacinth Bucket sense

Ho man that was some terrible shit.

Thermofusion

« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »

No good? Was going to watch it tonight

triple paisley minimum
davy

« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2012, 12:57:30 PM »

I'm guessing the concept was a seamless blend of LOST and Paranormal Activity -- that's basically what it is, but it's so badly acted, written, filmed, scored, paced, etc etc that it becomes a parody. Some neat scenes, some cheap ones, but on the whole, the damn thing is just embarrassingly subpar.

Thermofusion

« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2012, 02:54:10 PM »

Really? Man! My friend sent me excited texts about it last night and now I don't know what to think. I do think the found footage format is hokey, but jungle river expeditions, science experiments and unseen horrors all set my pulp receptors off, so we'll just have to see.

triple paisley minimum
dieblucasdie

« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2012, 03:12:22 PM »

I haven't watched it yet, but FWIW davy's in the minority with that reaction. Especially given your love of AHS, you'll probably like it.

Thermofusion

« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2012, 03:26:06 PM »

Hmm well Davy's my boy, but I disagree with him a LOT of the time. The River needs to click because the nuclear option is to start watching Alcatraz instead, and nobody wants that to happen.
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2012, 03:27:52 PM by Thermofusion » Logged

triple paisley minimum
davy

« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2012, 04:22:28 PM »

jungle river expeditions, science experiments and unseen horrors all set my pulp receptors off

Me too man! I do find it hard to believe that I'm in the minority, though. I thought for sure it was going to get torn apart by critics.

dieblucasdie

« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2012, 04:50:56 PM »

The critics I follow all liked it, with some reservations, mostly about how sustainable the premise will be over the long haul.

Like I said, I ain't watched it yet though; it's definitely possible that I'll completely agree with you! Just think that it sounds like a good bet for Thermo. Certainly a better bet than (shudder) Alcatraz
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2012, 04:53:29 PM by dieblucasdie » Logged

Thermofusion

« Reply #24 on: Feb 08, 2012, 05:55:49 PM »

Did you get around to watching AHS or are you eternally boycotting it on principle? Or did I already ask you this?

triple paisley minimum
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 26
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: It's Only People Pretending: New TV thread
Jump to: