Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Aug 21, 2014, 06:16:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657898 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 65 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 26
Print
Author Topic: It's Only People Pretending: New TV thread  (Read 47568 times)
Babar

« Reply #75 on: Mar 01, 2012, 09:17:04 PM »

Man, I kinda wish Seinfeld would've gone another couple seasons with Jerry as showrunner. Se. 8 & 9 aren't better than the David golden age episodes, but they are extremely weird and dark and absurd.

I agree. The Chicken Roaster is in my top 3 along with The Marine Biologist and The Contest.

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
milly balgeary

« Reply #76 on: Mar 01, 2012, 09:19:31 PM »

YES

Misfits was great and I repped for it hard last year but this latest season .... awful, unwatchable stuff. The one person I know who sat through it, agreed, after hopefully watching every last ep.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #77 on: Mar 01, 2012, 09:20:33 PM »

Man, I kinda wish Seinfeld would've gone another couple seasons with Jerry as showrunner. Se. 8 & 9 aren't better than the David golden age episodes, but they are extremely weird and dark and absurd.

I agree. The Chicken Roaster is in my top 3 along with The Marine Biologist and The Contest.

I've become very partial to the "The Slicer"

think 'on the road.'
Thermofusion

« Reply #78 on: Mar 01, 2012, 09:24:14 PM »

Yeah I like season 8 a lot, and a handful of season 9 episodes ("The Wizard" is probably one of my four or five favorite episodes of the entire series)

triple paisley minimum
edison

« Reply #79 on: Mar 02, 2012, 03:09:39 AM »

Damn, you guys are making me want to rewatch late-period Seinfeld! (which I liked in the first place)

I've mostly been busy with the West Wing boxset lately. I started in December and am in the middle of season 4 right now. I was intending to watch one episode last night, but ended up watching three: the first one was the one with CJ at her father's in Ohio and it was so devastating that it left me pretty much in tears, so I decided to watch the next one to stop on a less upsetting note, and when I discovered that one was the first part of a two-parter well...

It's all been great so far but I've found the beginning of season 4 particularly strong - there's been some excellent comedy: I don't often laugh out loud watching TV or movies but I've found myself doing so at least four or five times this season already.
Greg Nog

« Reply #80 on: Mar 02, 2012, 08:51:33 AM »

My new favorite episode of Seinfeld
dieblucasdie

« Reply #81 on: Mar 02, 2012, 08:58:52 AM »

How come?

Oh, I just think that a lot of people's enjoyment of Misfits hinges on whether they find Nathan amusing or annoying, and you'd likely find him annoying. I could be totally wrong though!
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2012, 09:00:26 AM by dieblucasdie » Logged

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #82 on: Mar 02, 2012, 10:01:22 AM »

I liked Nathan--I mean, he's annoying but he's a fun annoying. I think pollo's irascibility is similar to mine. I say give it a shot pollo!

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
peacocks

« Reply #83 on: Mar 02, 2012, 10:31:14 AM »

YES

Misfits was great and I repped for it hard last year but this latest season .... awful, unwatchable stuff. The one person I know who sat through it, agreed, after hopefully watching every last ep.

yeah this season I haven't even finished watching. It's fill in the blanks stuff. I will finish it eventually because I love Kelly and I care what happens with her character.

Also Nathan made me cringe but I also formed a soft spot for him early on.

dick-check your priviledge
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #84 on: Mar 02, 2012, 10:45:11 AM »

I've only watched the first 2 series. So, S3 at least is still worth watching?

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #85 on: Mar 02, 2012, 10:55:24 AM »

OK I was scanning the wikipedia article and it mentioned S4 but that hasn't actually come out yet I guess. So you're saying it's S3 that is terrible

peacocks

« Reply #86 on: Mar 02, 2012, 10:58:19 AM »

It's not TERRIBLE, just meh

dick-check your priviledge
elpollodiablo

« Reply #87 on: Mar 03, 2012, 01:17:05 AM »

http://backdoorbroadcasting.net/2012/02/slavoj-zizek-the-wire-or-the-clash-of-civilisations-in-one-country/

90min of Zizek riffing on the Wire. Partially it's a response to a Frederic Jameson essay, mostly it's a series of observations on Zizek's favorite topics loosely held together by a critique of the show. Worth a listen if you get off on his particular brand of criticism (it's pretty broadly appealing, anyway), and if you're a diehard fan of the Wire there are some good insights in there.

think 'on the road.'
Ignatius

« Reply #88 on: Mar 03, 2012, 01:34:17 AM »

That sounds like the perfect way to ruin the Wire.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #89 on: Mar 03, 2012, 01:54:07 AM »

Are you anti-Zizek?

think 'on the road.'
Ignatius

« Reply #90 on: Mar 03, 2012, 01:56:42 AM »

I'm, umm, awake too late. I've only really had a superficial ten minute introduction to the man.
mixed cats

« Reply #91 on: Mar 03, 2012, 09:15:05 PM »

I want to give up on everything except Too Cute. Baby animals, man. Sloth bath time. Kittens named Noodles. Fat pugs sneezing.

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
ellaguru

« Reply #92 on: Mar 04, 2012, 01:02:43 PM »

It's not TERRIBLE, just meh

Yeah.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
Anne the Man

« Reply #93 on: Mar 04, 2012, 05:14:33 PM »

I liked Nathan--I mean, he's annoying but he's a fun annoying. I think pollo's irascibility is similar to mine. I say give it a shot pollo!

Key difference between him and the season 3 dude. And yes, at least Nathan had a sense of humour. I ended up getting a bit annoyed with the others for being lumpish and rolling their eyes whenever Nathan made a joke. I suppose that's like Buffy though, where you laugh but none of the characters do.

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
ellaguru

« Reply #94 on: Mar 05, 2012, 09:51:25 PM »

blucas: the finale/cliffhanger to Chloe King was genuinely pretty awesome.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
Greg Nog

« Reply #95 on: Mar 07, 2012, 01:46:42 PM »

I watched an episode of Comic Book Men the other day, and it's one of the most abominable things I've seen in a long time.  What really disappointed me was that I'm sure there's a really good documentary to be made about people that work in a comic book store, but this Kevin-Smith-helmed version seems mostly like an excuse for Kevin Smith to be all "look how funny my friends are when they talk about comics!"

Which would be cool (and kind of like a nerdier version of The League), except they're not funny at all, so the whole thing reeks of desperation.  Just wretched!
elpollodiablo

« Reply #96 on: Mar 07, 2012, 01:53:07 PM »

That was the one with your old roomie, yeah?

think 'on the road.'
Greg Nog

« Reply #97 on: Mar 07, 2012, 02:01:36 PM »

Yeah, his Special Appearance in this week's episode was the reason I watched it.  I called him afterward and was like THAT SHOW IS SO BAD and he was all I KNOW
dieblucasdie

« Reply #98 on: Mar 07, 2012, 02:08:26 PM »

blucas: the finale/cliffhanger to Chloe King was genuinely pretty awesome.

Yeah! That show improved steady and was really firing on all cylinders by the end. Shame that of all its dubious teen soaps, it was the one ABC Family chose not to bring back.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
ellaguru

« Reply #99 on: Mar 07, 2012, 02:20:45 PM »

Oh, it's done? That's too bad.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 26
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: It's Only People Pretending: New TV thread
Jump to: