Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 16, 2014, 09:29:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658001 Posts in 9261 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 65 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 26
Print
Author Topic: It's Only People Pretending: New TV thread  (Read 50592 times)
edison

« Reply #150 on: Apr 05, 2012, 09:19:18 AM »

I'm pretty sure my experience would be quite similar were I to rewatch it. I believe it's the first TV show I watched in its entirety in my life!

edit: stupid page-break - we're talking about Six Feet Under
hannah

« Reply #151 on: Apr 05, 2012, 10:07:13 AM »

Newest Justified, holy smokes.

something I've been meaning to ask: I started watching Justified a few months ago but found the first four episodes (after the awesome pilot) kind of a slog. Is there a point later in the first season where it picks up a bit and I can safely start without being too lost, plot-wise?
elpollodiablo

« Reply #152 on: Apr 05, 2012, 10:16:02 AM »

I can't remember exactly, but you'd probably be better off just forging ahead distractedly, maybe while grading papers or something. They eased away from the procedural aspect towards the end of se. 1 and almost completely abandoned it by the middle of se. 2, and it's a far stronger show for having done so (though they still manage to work in odd one-offs that are at least tenuously connected to the main plot). Stuff that you could skip entirely would be any scene featuring Raylan's ex Winona (except the Winn Duffy bits) and anything that's obviously a one-shot procedural episode. Or you could just start with se. 2, though you'd miss some good endgame Crowder stuff.

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #153 on: Apr 05, 2012, 10:17:31 AM »

Co-signed. I couldn't make it through Six Feet Under.

It's weird. I loved it when I first watched it. It was one of my first experiences of going through and watching an entire series from start to finish with someone (in this case, my friend Scott). We watched through it pretty quickly, and though I found certain characters and plots annoying, on the whole, I was quite fond of the show.

And then I tried re-watching it. And I couldn't. Fucking. Stand it.

This was pretty much my experience; I was really into the first few seasons, got *extremely* exasperated with it as it was finishing up its run, and the one time I tried to revisit those first season episodes I just couldn't bear it.

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #154 on: Apr 05, 2012, 10:18:25 AM »

You could skip ahead to episode 10, but really, you're through the most boring patch already, and there's stuff in episodes 5-9 you probably want to see. Had you asked this question before starting, I would said watch the pilot and skip 2, 3, and 4!

xpost

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
edison

« Reply #155 on: Apr 05, 2012, 10:26:34 AM »

I'm probably way to anal about things like that, but I just couldn't imagine watching a show (unless we're talking Seinfeld or Simpsons kind of stuff) while doing something else or skipping episodes.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #156 on: Apr 05, 2012, 10:47:53 AM »

Shit man I can hardly remember a time when I watched TV without meanwhile doing something else .

think 'on the road.'
jebreject

« Reply #157 on: Apr 05, 2012, 10:52:02 AM »

I give my full attention to the shows I really care about. I do other shit while watching, say, How I Met Your Mother, but I give my undivided attention to Justified, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, etc. And my still on-going Sopranos rewatch.

Also M scolds me if I start checking facebook or whatever while we're watching a show together.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
jebreject

« Reply #158 on: Apr 13, 2012, 01:46:59 PM »

Okay, so I went from feeling fairly ambivalent about this season of Justified to getting firmly behind it. And it's not just that the back half of the season is considerably stronger than the first; the last couple of arcs actually make me appreciate the earlier ones all the more. Not as strong as Season Two, certainly, and not with nearly as much emotional weight, but still, this is really, really good (if not great) television. Great work from all the players, big and small--this show is really ranking up there with Breaking Bad in terms of excellent charactor acting. Man.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #159 on: Apr 13, 2012, 01:48:59 PM »

yeah, the finale was pretty good! Though D did point out that essentially nothing has changed vis-a-vis Boyd. There's only so many times dude can narrowly avoid prison. Almost certainly he'll eat it next season.

think 'on the road.'
jebreject

« Reply #160 on: Apr 13, 2012, 02:29:15 PM »

yeah, the finale was pretty good! Though D did point out that essentially nothing has changed vis-a-vis Boyd. There's only so many times dude can narrowly avoid prison. Almost certainly he'll eat it next season.

Well, I sort of think that next season we'll see Ava becoming even more of a player in their criminal enterprises, and begin crossing more lines (Graham Yost mentioned in interviews that "crossing lines" was meant to be a major theme this season) and that Boyd's main conflict next season will probably come from there. I don't know if we'll see Boyd get got (though really, he almost has to sooner or later), but I think they could really give him some bigger, more interesting character stuff, especially given how fucking good Walton Goggins is.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #161 on: Apr 13, 2012, 02:33:32 PM »

I also like Goggins a lot! And the woman who plays Ava. When Winona appeared in the last scene, though, we both groaned out loud.

think 'on the road.'
jebreject

« Reply #162 on: Apr 13, 2012, 02:38:25 PM »

Oh yeah, same here.

milly balgeary

« Reply #163 on: Apr 14, 2012, 08:53:29 PM »

Shit man I can hardly remember a time when I watched TV without meanwhile doing something else .

Me too.

milly balgeary

« Reply #164 on: Apr 14, 2012, 08:53:57 PM »

OK I admit I like Revenge.

peacocks

« Reply #165 on: Apr 16, 2012, 07:43:51 PM »

oh jesus christ who has seen this new HBO show Girls and who has an opinion on it? I just watched it on http://youtu.be/OrQfvq9RfM0 and my opinion is that all the characters are annoying and I'm not interested in how the protagonist solves her non problems. It's not even funny. I know, I like The New Girl but that's not trying to BE something. It's just a dumb show. This is like, bleheaghhhhhhhhhhh.

dick-check your priviledge
dieblucasdie

« Reply #166 on: Apr 16, 2012, 08:45:31 PM »

haha, I haven't watched it yet, but it's probably the most positively reviewed show this season.

peacocks

« Reply #167 on: Apr 16, 2012, 09:43:49 PM »

Haaa I knew it, and that might be one reason why I am reluctant to be into it.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #168 on: Apr 16, 2012, 09:44:45 PM »

We don't have to talk about this.

think 'on the road.'
peacocks

« Reply #169 on: Apr 16, 2012, 10:07:41 PM »

:/ ? Sorry?

elpollodiablo

« Reply #170 on: Apr 16, 2012, 10:15:26 PM »

Just saying! Probably the best thing to do for Lena Dunham is ignore her until she's at least 30.

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #171 on: Apr 16, 2012, 10:17:31 PM »

Did you watch Veep too? That is relevant to pollo's interests, since it's the Thick of It/In the Loop guy's stab at American politics. I'll definitely have something to say about both it and Girls once I get a chance to watch them.

xposts

hannah

« Reply #172 on: Apr 16, 2012, 10:21:58 PM »

Veep started? fuuuuuck I am so behind on TV

This summer I will watch Justified, Community, Game of Thrones, Veep, the most season of 30 Rock, Boardwalk Empire, Luck, etc etc etc
Ashley

« Reply #173 on: Apr 16, 2012, 11:20:45 PM »

oh jesus christ who has seen this new HBO show Girls and who has an opinion on it? I just watched it on http://youtu.be/OrQfvq9RfM0 and my opinion is that all the characters are annoying and I'm not interested in how the protagonist solves her non problems. It's not even funny. I know, I like The New Girl but that's not trying to BE something. It's just a dumb show. This is like, bleheaghhhhhhhhhhh.

I'm watching it now.

its a little weird, but i think a lot of it can be chalked up to being the first episode.

it just needs to find the right balance of awkward.   i think it's also supposed to make you want to punch yourself in the face a little bit.  i'm pretty sure that part is intentional.

also; god girl, you're supposed to become a waitress.  don't you know that?
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2012, 11:26:33 PM by Ashley » Logged

dogg you ain't gotta rustle outside in cloaks of darkness and shit
elpollodiablo

« Reply #174 on: Apr 17, 2012, 06:36:08 AM »

Did you watch Veep too? That is relevant to pollo's interests, since it's the Thick of It/In the Loop guy's stab at American politics. I'll definitely have something to say about both it and Girls once I get a chance to watch them.

xposts

Wow, completely missed this. First episode doesn't air until later this week, evidently.

Hey and Anna Chlumsky's in it!

think 'on the road.'
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 26
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: It's Only People Pretending: New TV thread
Jump to: