Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Aug 21, 2014, 02:09:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657907 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 82 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "Productivity Programmes" Thread. Do y'all use Evernote?  (Read 3994 times)
RoyBiggins

« on: Feb 17, 2012, 03:54:52 PM »

I always try to use 'productivity apps' with mixed results.  I did just install the Evernote clipper into Chrome and start clipping the clothes I want to buy, so I'll have a frame of reference for it, as well as a visual reference, should I choose miss out on the chance to purchase.

Do you guys use either of these programs?  What do you use Evernote for that makes it useful?

Anybody use "Things"?  How come user documentation for Things is so shitty?

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2012, 04:41:28 PM »

I don't use Evernote much, though like a lot of these things I can see how it would be useful if you committed to it and kept it in mind on the spur of the moment. Like, I use Dropbox for just about everything, and whenever I'm confronted with an important document (bill, medical doc, syllabus, etc.) I snap a photo of it, convert it to a PDF on the fly, and upload it to the appropriate Dropbox folder. Evernote could potentially simplify that process, but then you're stuck (I think) using that app on both ends. With the system I've got now, I can access my important documents from any web browser. Maybe Evernote has that functionality, too; probably it does, but I don't really like the idea of a discrete desktop client for whatever reason. I like just funneling everything into that mirrored virtual drive.

think 'on the road.'
jebreject

« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2012, 01:57:21 AM »

You can access Evernote from your web browser

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
peacocks

« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2012, 09:30:43 AM »

What is a productivity app it sounds cool

dick-check your priviledge
jebreject

« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2012, 09:40:18 AM »

makes you more productive dogg

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2012, 09:56:13 AM »

One crucial difference between the Dropbox method and the Evernote method: Dropbox gives you 2GB free, while Evernote only gives you 60MB, and it's $5/mo. for 1GB.

think 'on the road.'
Em

« Reply #6 on: Jul 27, 2012, 10:37:42 PM »

Resurrecting this thread to say yes, I use the hell out of Evernote and to ask:

I use the website Asana to assign work tasks and deadlines to myself (and to allow others to assign me the same), and I like it, but I am looking for an app ASAP that would let me get even more specific with my time management/tasking. I know, I know, I could break out a pen and a piece of paper and make myself a little schedule, but I really want something (not really a calendar exactly, 'cause I tried that with Google calendar and it's not working out very well) where I can break out a day into chunks of time dedicated to specific projects, and be reminded when it's almost time/time to move on or complete my work.

Anyone ever heard of/used anything like that? Taking suggestions, thank you.
Em

« Reply #7 on: Jul 28, 2012, 04:14:37 AM »

Okay, never mind, I think I've got it figured out. For now, I'm gonna continue to use Asana to prioritize/share/assign work tasks, plus use Remember the Milk for more basic stuff, and I'm also trying out Daily Routine to try to put myself in a situation where I actually do things like consume calories, take breaks, set aside time for chores, sleep, etc., which are all things I am currently failing at.

It is a sad state of affairs that I feel I need three tools (plus Google calendar and Evernote) to manage my life at the moment, but it is what it is and one does what one has to do. Plus I like trying out apps and seeing how they work.
Antero

« Reply #8 on: Jul 28, 2012, 06:37:53 PM »

I got Evernote but I haven't figured out how to use it yet.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
Em

« Reply #9 on: Jul 28, 2012, 07:34:10 PM »

You just type stuff and it saves it for you!

Edit: I'm being flip, but really, it's easy to use and pretty handy. Try it out!
RoyBiggins

« Reply #10 on: Jul 28, 2012, 08:20:15 PM »

I should look into alll the things you've mentioned.  For the last couple of months, I've felt like my entire life has become unmanagable, so I've just let a ton of things slide into oblivion (and collections, apparently.)  It's awful, but I'm starting to be very barely able to dig out. But I should get some routine and some tools.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
cold before sunrise

« Reply #11 on: Jul 28, 2012, 08:38:36 PM »

I've got this app called Teux Deux which is perfect, simple and free, for to-do list writing.

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
Em

« Reply #12 on: Jul 28, 2012, 09:09:58 PM »

I should look into alll the things you've mentioned.  For the last couple of months, I've felt like my entire life has become unmanagable, so I've just let a ton of things slide into oblivion (and collections, apparently.)  It's awful, but I'm starting to be very barely able to dig out. But I should get some routine and some tools.

Well having used the combo for a day, my official verdict is:

Asana: still very useful for group task work

Remember the Milk: really, really awesome, especially if you pay them $25 to go pro for a year so it syncs to your smartphone throughout the day instead of just once a day

Daily Routine: requires a significant time investment to set up, but I inputted three templates--a "typical work day," a "work at home day," and a "weekend work day," and now they should be really easy and quick to modify/adjust. i've got things including but by no means limited to when i should be getting ready for work, when i should be walking my dogs, when i should be taking my medications, when i should be eating, when i should be doing chores, and when i should be taking breaks in there. does it make me feel a little bit like i'm in middle school/like i'm an inmate to have a chime go off when i ought to be moving on to the next thing? yes. has that chime really helped me stay a little saner and better rested while getting more done today than yesterday (a work at home day, similar to today)? also yes. so if you're okay with getting pretty damn obsessive about the details in order to feel more in control, would recommend   
Ashley

« Reply #13 on: Jul 30, 2012, 06:08:34 AM »

Because of this thread I started using Gtasks, which is a todo list app that syncs with google tasks (a part of gmail).

Wow.  I really like it.

Em, is daily routine an iphone app, or is it for android too?  It sounds like something I could use in the fall.

dogg you ain't gotta rustle outside in cloaks of darkness and shit
Em

« Reply #14 on: Aug 05, 2012, 05:32:50 PM »

Sorry Ashley, didn't see this. It's an iPhone app.
Antero

« Reply #15 on: Aug 06, 2012, 04:48:34 AM »

I just discovered that Evernote, which my friend made me download as soon as I had an iPhone and well before I had any idea what to do with, has OCR built in. I am amazed. That is hella useful. I will abuse it.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
Pages: [1]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: "Productivity Programmes" Thread. Do y'all use Evernote?
Jump to: