Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Aug 22, 2014, 04:01:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657908 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 51 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 31
Print
Author Topic: I'm 2nd fattest: new HEALTH and FITNESS  (Read 29700 times)
elpollodiablo

« Reply #125 on: Mar 06, 2012, 12:37:51 PM »

Oh, awesome

think 'on the road.'
cold before sunrise

« Reply #126 on: Mar 06, 2012, 12:44:13 PM »

gn: but the house of metabolism is what says that breakfast is the best kickstart to the day, after running or sun salutations or a mix of basic exercises like cat/cow, squats, push-ups, bicycle crunches, mason twists, plus knee strengtheners for you wannabe runners (on the regular, until you're ready).

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
jess

« Reply #127 on: Mar 06, 2012, 12:46:09 PM »

Does anyone use the ergo (rowing machine)?

I love it—when I was at my most fit, it was largely thanks to rowing. Easy on the knees, cardio that also builds some muscle, exercise that you can control the pace of through your movement (which has its pros and cons, less good if you are unmotivated that day, but usually once I warm up, I like that, compared to a treadmill). The only thing is, if you haven't done it, get someone to show you how to do it right and then check your form after a bit, since it's easy to have bad form which can stress your back, shoulders and neck.

Also, unless you do it a ton, at high resistance, you probably won't get giant shoulders or anything.
Greg Nog

« Reply #128 on: Mar 06, 2012, 12:48:28 PM »

In re metabolism I was about to post a thing about intermittent fasting, but then google helpfully autosupplied "intermittent explosive disorder" so I'm actually gonna go ahead and recommend that instead
peacocks

« Reply #129 on: Mar 06, 2012, 01:04:13 PM »

When I have fasted or done cleanses I felt amazing. I lost some weight but was more able to control cravings and such afterwards so I didn't gain it back until much later when I just quit caring.

dick-check your priviledge
elpollodiablo

« Reply #130 on: Mar 06, 2012, 01:08:37 PM »

Just to be clear, I'm not fasting at all, unless fasting can be taken to mean moderately reducing the amount of daily calories I'm ingesting.

think 'on the road.'
Greg Nog

« Reply #131 on: Mar 06, 2012, 01:14:24 PM »

Right, but have you tried Intermittent Explosive Disorder?  If you get a bodybugg, I think you can actually track how angry each outburst is.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #132 on: Mar 06, 2012, 01:17:03 PM »

I'll intermittently explode all over your face, how's that

think 'on the road.'
jebreject

« Reply #133 on: Mar 06, 2012, 03:07:08 PM »

Seeing the physical therapist this afternoon, and fairly anxious about that. Not sure why. I did hit up the fitness place yesterday, and it went okay, though I think that the elliptical isn't low impact enough for my achilles (it could be that my insane height plays into this as well) so I guess I'll look into biking. I know they have a couple of recumbent stationaries, and that might be a good idea. I don't feel like I hit it very hard yesterday but I've been in the most pain I've been in after the first couple days. It was actually so bad today that I left work early because I couldn't concentrate on anything else, and having a job where I mostly stand all day wasn't helping shit. Well, we'll see what the PT has to say about things.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
clare

« Reply #134 on: Mar 06, 2012, 06:46:52 PM »

Jeb, good luck with the PT. Pain is bullshit.

Jess - thanks for the ergo love/tips. I've used it a couple of times, and I reckon I'm doing it pretty well, as I don't get any back pain, but when I book a personal trainer at the fitness place, I'll ask her about it.

Nog, that paper was interesting. There was a NYT magazine article a few months ago that did the fb rounds (may've been based on it)  basically saying that if you've been fat and lost weight, you're going to have to restrict what you eat and exercise like fuck to avoid putting it back on. For a long time. A bunch of my portly friends posted it in an "OMG! Doomed! May as well stay fat then" way, but I saw something a lot more positive in it - that it is possible not to regain the lost weight, by doing what I've been doing for the last year - which I think is doable, but it does take up a *lot* of my brain space still. So, for example, in my 'maintaining' mode I'm not eating much more than I was in my 'losing' phase. In WW jargon it's 3 'propoints'. I'm not sure what a 'propoint' is in calories, but I can tell you it's: 20g (2 squares) of Lindt Dark chocolate; or a piece of wholegrain bread; or 2 teaspoons of oil; or 75mls of red wine; or a 30ml nip of scotch. And I've doubled my exercise I'd say, but I'm certainly not losing any more weight.

Another thing I've found is that I get cold really really really easily. I wonder how much of that is about just not having the insulation of 20k of fat, and how much is about my body not realising that it should use some energy to keep me warm, rather than worrying about storing it as fat in this obvious year-long famine I've been experiencing.

Also, I sometimes find myself, not quite craving fat, but if I do have some (f'rinstance I had pork chops for dinner last night, and trimming the fat off was hard, both physically and mentally) it tastes *so good* that I have to eat more, which is interesting - how it's totally hard-wired to go for that stuff, and more so if it's been pretty much absent in your diet.

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #135 on: Mar 06, 2012, 08:55:30 PM »

That's good stuff to hear, clare. As I enter my third month of my new regime, I've definitely found it useful not to think about this as some provisional state of affairs that I'll abandon once I've reached some arbitrary goal, but as a different lifestyle I'm adopting for the long term. Eating and drinking whatever I wanted whenever I wanted and not getting much exercise for 28 years arguably should have done a lot more damage to me than just making me obese; I'm lucky to be relatively healthy in other regards. Trying to establish a new baseline for what I put into my body that's qualitatively different has been really good for me in a lot of ways. I hope in time to internalize a lot more of it and not have to be so obsessive about it, like you said, but for the time being, this is pretty okay.

think 'on the road.'
jebreject

« Reply #136 on: Mar 06, 2012, 09:09:41 PM »

I found out I'm deformed!

milly balgeary

« Reply #137 on: Mar 06, 2012, 09:19:03 PM »

I found out I'm deformed!

?!

jebreject

« Reply #138 on: Mar 06, 2012, 09:31:33 PM »

I have external tibial torsion in both legs (though it's worse in my right leg). It's very strange that it wasn't caught when I was younger, but really my parents never brought us to the doctor much. It's likely genetic. It's also the likely cause of my tendinitis, in a roundabout way. In all the years I've been walking, I've learned to compenate for my fucked up legs by walking, etc in my own unique way, which puts stress on parts of the leg that are normally not stressed. I also have abnormally high arches which means I don't absorb shock well, and a defect in my right foot which causes it to be shorter than the left and the toes smaller (this is obviously something I was aware of but never paid much mind to). So my achilles tendinitis and other leg issues are resulting from all that, and it's pretty likely that I will continue to have problems throughout my life. Physical therapy can't really correct it, either, though I can probably learn better coping techniques. If I wanted it fixed, I would need surgery, which would would involve shaving down bones and rotating my tibia into the correct position.

C of heartbreak

« Reply #139 on: Mar 06, 2012, 09:35:16 PM »

Aren't bionic legs an option?

Sorry to hear, that sounds terribly painful! Sad

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
elpollodiablo

« Reply #140 on: Mar 06, 2012, 09:43:51 PM »

Oh my god jeb, that's awful. I'm sorry. Sad What kind of coping techniques are there?

think 'on the road.'
jebreject

« Reply #141 on: Mar 06, 2012, 09:47:43 PM »

Don't really know yet. Going to tackle the tendinitis first.

milly balgeary

« Reply #142 on: Mar 06, 2012, 09:49:30 PM »

I have external tibial torsion in both legs (though it's worse in my right leg). It's very strange that it wasn't caught when I was younger, but really my parents never brought us to the doctor much. It's likely genetic. It's also the likely cause of my tendinitis, in a roundabout way. In all the years I've been walking, I've learned to compenate for my fucked up legs by walking, etc in my own unique way, which puts stress on parts of the leg that are normally not stressed. I also have abnormally high arches which means I don't absorb shock well, and a defect in my right foot which causes it to be shorter than the left and the toes smaller (this is obviously something I was aware of but never paid much mind to). So my achilles tendinitis and other leg issues are resulting from all that, and it's pretty likely that I will continue to have problems throughout my life. Physical therapy can't really correct it, either, though I can probably learn better coping techniques. If I wanted it fixed, I would need surgery, which would would involve shaving down bones and rotating my tibia into the correct position.
Would insurance cover the surgery?

jebreject

« Reply #143 on: Mar 06, 2012, 10:02:55 PM »

Dunno, but I don't know if I can get by without the use of my legs for however long that would take to heal. I'll figure out my options in the coming weeks.

clare

« Reply #144 on: Mar 06, 2012, 11:29:46 PM »

Ugh, that was not the kind of news I was hoping to hear there Jeb.  Sad  hope it's not going to cost a fucking mint to get something sorted for it.... Osteopathy? Orthotics? crap.

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
jebreject

« Reply #145 on: Mar 07, 2012, 01:23:44 PM »

Eh, I'm sure everything will be fine. I'll find out more in the coming weeks anyway.

Greg Nog

« Reply #146 on: Mar 07, 2012, 01:37:31 PM »

I'm sorry to hear about it, jeb!
Em

« Reply #147 on: Mar 07, 2012, 01:51:53 PM »

Jeb, that sucks, I'm sorry. I hope they figure out an effective and not-too-daunting treatment plan for you soon.

Wanna form a lower-extremity deformity club? I've got bad cavus feet (and so shouldn't run long distances and am s'posed to wear orthotics). Led to eight weeks on crutches once! (I went on a super-long hike and, uh, didn't wear the orthotics.) Anyone else want to play?
nonotyet

« Reply #148 on: Mar 07, 2012, 03:00:48 PM »

Me!
I have a callus on my right foot that splits open quite painfully every few months. I think it's because my right leg is shorter than my left and my weight distribution is uneven when I walk. When I brought this up to my primary care doctor at my last physical, she recommended that I see a podiatrist to get fitted for a wedge to put in my right shoe/s. I have not done so!
peacocks

« Reply #149 on: Mar 07, 2012, 03:14:17 PM »

A shoe salesman once told me that my left foot was just slightly bigger than my right so I should try shoes on that one first but otherwise my feet are practically perfect in every way.

I do tend to walk at a slant though so if we are walking side by side I'll get too close to you like I'm trying to make a move or something and you'll say "hey!" and I'll say oops and try to walk straighter.

dick-check your priviledge
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 31
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: I'm 2nd fattest: new HEALTH and FITNESS
Jump to: