Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 01, 2014, 04:08:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658143 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 54 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 31
Print
Author Topic: I'm 2nd fattest: new HEALTH and FITNESS  (Read 31331 times)
peacocks

« Reply #100 on: Mar 05, 2012, 03:16:51 PM »

am really going to give some light weight and resistance training a try from the comfort of my own home as well as continue biking to as many things as possible.

dick-check your priviledge
cold before sunrise

« Reply #101 on: Mar 05, 2012, 04:03:38 PM »

peacocks: yo momma says to eat your vegetables! from under my bed, where i have her locked in a box.

fred: how tall are you and your brother? also, weight around the middle is called a 'spare tire' and is more common then it should be but is certainly not a desirable level of fitness. you can make all the effort you like but gorgeous bodies are built on clean diets and lifestyles. who needs the scrap waste? if you are what you eat then it's no wonder whey makes people feel like garbage. you know the feeling i mean. let me make you a smoothie with banana, nuts, raw chocolate, frozen cherries, hemp and spirulina (51-71% protein, 30% more expensive per gram) with coconut water.

i took my first spinning class the other day and left drenched! was only just released by the surgeon to work-out again, my arm was shaking in yoga because it's not strong enough to hold up my own weight anymore. back to the drawing board. since i'll be going through my exercise pages anyway, shoot me a note if you'd like a personalized work-out plan based on your personal goals, with diagrams. open call.

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #102 on: Mar 05, 2012, 04:09:02 PM »

I wanna take a spinning class! It'll be good training for summertime biking, and I'll be able to sashay in and out the door announcing breezily "I'm just gone to/come from spinning claaassss"

think 'on the road.'
nonotyet

« Reply #103 on: Mar 05, 2012, 04:20:24 PM »

Spinning is great!
If you can't find or don't want to take a proper class, the spin bikes at my gym have touch screens that include a video personal instructor guy setting, so it is like taking a personal class. Once you get comforable enough they also have various non-instructed training settings. I imagine that a lot of gyms have similar spin bikes.
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2012, 04:22:11 PM by nonotyet » Logged
peacocks

« Reply #104 on: Mar 05, 2012, 04:32:05 PM »

vegetables are what I eat the most D:

dick-check your priviledge
cold before sunrise

« Reply #105 on: Mar 05, 2012, 04:32:28 PM »

a lot of soldiers use bikes and meditation for their training regime. personally, i'm letting you into the circle of trust by talking about this stuff because as far as my daily life goes, i would never, ever admit to the effort invested into looking and feeling my best. part of having grace is making it look effortless, where you silently and stealthily become a sleek, firm hardbody who looks better with clothes on and without. improved breathing and muscle control makes you a better lover, yoga's especially good if you like trying new positions because you get a little more flexible with every practice.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #106 on: Mar 05, 2012, 04:35:32 PM »

Yeah that's pretty brave of you

think 'on the road.'
Greg Nog

« Reply #107 on: Mar 05, 2012, 04:39:13 PM »

I'm thinking of taking an intro to pilates class Wednesday evening.  I've never done pilates before!
Good Intentions

« Reply #108 on: Mar 05, 2012, 04:44:21 PM »

You've done some other form of calisthenics, though, haven't you? They're all broadly similar in important regards, in as far as you have the same joints and muscles no matter which class you go to.
cold before sunrise

« Reply #109 on: Mar 05, 2012, 04:51:49 PM »

it was used after wwii to rehabilitate injured soldiers as well as training for the nyc ballet because you get results so fast. in 5 consecutive classes you should notice a difference, after 10 other people will see it, and in 15 classes - with only the odd recovery day if you're sore - pilates gives you great posture, grace and core control, almost immediately.

ellaguru

« Reply #110 on: Mar 05, 2012, 06:11:41 PM »

Spinning's a lot better than ellipticals. Not as good as running, maybe, but running is really hard on your knees. It gets my vote for people for whom running hurts.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #111 on: Mar 05, 2012, 06:13:48 PM »

The last few days, I've been doing 20min on the elliptical and 30 on the bike.

think 'on the road.'
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #112 on: Mar 05, 2012, 07:40:49 PM »

Yesterday I played a basketball game (40 mins, high intensity), and then immediately went for a 3.5 mile run, during which I did 2 miles in 14 minutes...  I feel like shit today.

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
cold before sunrise

« Reply #113 on: Mar 05, 2012, 08:01:40 PM »

what are you using for fuel, fred? do you stretch afterwards and/or take a hot bath with epsom salt and/or get a weekly massage? drink enough water? start the day with a big breakfast? take care of yourself or enjoy feeling like a bag of shit!

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #114 on: Mar 05, 2012, 08:47:29 PM »

By "like shit" I mean sore. I did over an hour of very high intensity cardio.   I feel about like I did the day after my half marathon, except my arms and shoulders hurt. 

I drink more water daily than anyone who posts on this message board.  I stretch but not adequately.  After my workout I had a smoothie made with 1 cup plain, nonfat greek yogurt, 1 cup nonfat milk, 1 scoop whey powder, a handful of frozen blueberries, and a handful of frozen strawberries. (I bought the fruit fresh and froze it).

milly balgeary

« Reply #115 on: Mar 05, 2012, 08:59:10 PM »

By "like shit" I mean sore. I did over an hour of very high intensity cardio.   I feel about like I did the day after my half marathon, except my arms and shoulders hurt. 

I drink more water daily than anyone who posts on this message board.  I stretch but not adequately.  After my workout I had a smoothie made with 1 cup plain, nonfat greek yogurt, 1 cup nonfat milk, 1 scoop whey powder, a handful of frozen blueberries, and a handful of frozen strawberries. (I bought the fruit fresh and froze it).

I drink alotta water! I drink like a galleon or some shit. I got a galleon jug I drink at work. I been bad at it lately though.  How was that smoothie? I tried doing that and my shit tasted like yoda's taint

monkeypants

« Reply #116 on: Mar 05, 2012, 09:56:39 PM »

My anxiety level has been so high the past couple of months that I've lost 5 pounds due to loss of appetite alone (and I'm fairly thin to begin with.)  Be on the lookout for my forthcoming diet book that's sure to be sweeping the nation:  "Worry Yourself Thin:  A Modern Diet For Anxious Times."

More OT:  I just had my second session with a trainer.  I'm digging it.

shitcakes drizzled with mediocrity syrup
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #117 on: Mar 05, 2012, 10:37:29 PM »

I was doing a crunch machine tonight at the fitness place thing (I don't like using the word "gym" because of homonyms) and it was making me fart. I felt pretty bad for the lady on the next machine.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #118 on: Mar 06, 2012, 01:43:04 AM »

Oh man, I'm almost always belching or farting intermittently through the first mile of any treadmill run I do, and, given the nature of my "fitness place," the treadmill next to me is almost always filled by some ridiculously hot yuppie chick, who like, clearly took the time to re-apply her makeup and change into her expensive workout ensemble after leaving work and before coming to the fitness place. Not that I judge! I actually feel kinda bad that they put in all that effort just to run next to a 30 year-old farting married nerd
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2012, 01:45:28 AM by dieblucasdie » Logged

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
cold before sunrise

« Reply #119 on: Mar 06, 2012, 04:31:11 AM »

run long enough and you'll likely get hurt. but know this: you'll also get better. the more exercise you get the better off you are, there are progressive results up to 100 hours/week! we can all use more. practice doing bridges, clams and wall-sits for your knees and hips, regularly for a month, and then see if you like jogging in the park at sunrise. at first it seems like hell (bless advil and ice packs) but quickly becomes something to look forward to as your body learns to crave the endorphins. good to perfect your sprint, in case you ever have to outrun a zombie.

clare

« Reply #120 on: Mar 06, 2012, 04:40:47 AM »

I like the idea of calling it a 'fitness place' given that I used to call it Jim (as in "I'm going to see Jim")

Peacocks, I may've mentioned this before, but my weight can fluctuate by as much as 1.5-2kilos hormonally, and according to my scales, it's not all 'water'.

I tried to go for a run this morning, but failed to get out of bed before Erik woke up, and then I had to go to work. I'm hoping for tomorrow. I'm very very slow, and don't go very far, but I really enjoyed it. I have a secret plan: 5k run by Mothers day (mother's day classic) but I'm a bit hesitant to commit to it...

What happens in a spin class, spinners? How is it different from just getting on the bike, programming it for 30mins on 'random' and going for it?

Does anyone use the ergo (rowing machine)?

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
cold before sunrise

« Reply #121 on: Mar 06, 2012, 04:52:04 AM »

watch out for weight loading on the rowing machine because it gives fast results and the shoulders and most lasses aren't so keen on developing those muscles, unless they're boxers or butch.

my spin class was a ripped, lean black man who cranked old school hip hip really loud and shouted level changes like a drill sergeant in a deep african accent, making us push it to the max and stand a bunch of times. it was 30% guys and the last 2 spare seats were filled before it was over. i'm weak from muscle atrophy and couldn't keep up but stuck it out to the end.

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #122 on: Mar 06, 2012, 07:09:05 AM »

Short answer: peer pressure makes you work out harder.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #123 on: Mar 06, 2012, 12:10:23 PM »

So my calorie tracking software told me yesterday that I didn't eat enough. I was stuck inside with the baby all day and didn't get to exercise at all, so I was eating very modestly, but still wound up with just a smidge under 2K. The software admonished me for screwing with my metabolism, which could potentially hurt my chances at future weight loss. What's a good rule of thumb for calorie apportioning on days when you aren't capable of exercising?

think 'on the road.'
Greg Nog

« Reply #124 on: Mar 06, 2012, 12:36:27 PM »

I don't think you have anything to worry about, to be honest; I think "metabolism" has taken on the superstition-based status of a strange cultural demon that must be appeased through wheedling and trickery, and I think the admonishment from the software is pseudoscience. 

To be honest, I think the biggest difficulty in re fat loss is that one's body wants to get back to what it's established as its natural "set-point" over a long period of time, not that one's metabolic rate is actually changing.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 31
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: I'm 2nd fattest: new HEALTH and FITNESS
Jump to: