Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 02, 2014, 12:34:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657938 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 59 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24
Print
Author Topic: MOVIES MOVIES MOVIES! ACK!  (Read 19555 times)
Ignatius

« Reply #25 on: Mar 03, 2012, 01:49:20 AM »

Where in the room did he come
jm

« Reply #26 on: Mar 03, 2012, 08:14:32 AM »

Saw A Separation last night with the lady, who had seen it once already.  Thought it was pretty incredible. There are a couple of things that stuck with me pretty hard and which I don't see getting out of my head anytime soon.

I saw it at Film Forum, which was one of two places in the city still playing it. It's kind of interesting, seeing it in a theater this late and after an Oscar win.  The major contrast to the time the lady saw it was that this time, instead of twelve Persians in the audience, it was a packed theater of Great Satanites.  Funniest part was probably overhearing someone say "I want to know what HAPPENS!" as the credits rolled.

Also, FF is currently playing In Film Nist (This is Not a Film), which I also very much want to see.

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
jm

« Reply #27 on: Mar 03, 2012, 08:49:26 AM »

oh also, I may be the one person who didn't think A Separation dragged or "felt long".

milly balgeary

« Reply #28 on: Mar 03, 2012, 08:57:06 AM »

Where in the room did he come

groan

jebreject

« Reply #29 on: Mar 03, 2012, 10:43:21 AM »

oh also, I may be the one person who didn't think A Separation dragged or "felt long".

I thought it was the perfect length and pace.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #30 on: Mar 03, 2012, 11:06:39 AM »

jeb, did the screener you watched seem like the subtitles were poorly translated? I watched about 1/4 of it and turned it off because I didn't want to spoil it for myself if it were indeed some amateurish translation job (which it seemed to be). Watching a pre-DVD screener subtitled by some bilingual German pirate totally ruined The Lives of Others for me a few years ago.

think 'on the road.'
auto-da-fey

« Reply #31 on: Mar 03, 2012, 01:13:52 PM »

just got tix for this. milly and Thermo, eat your hearts out.
Thermofusion

« Reply #32 on: Mar 03, 2012, 01:20:04 PM »

Looks very cool, I like the press-your-luck aspect of not knowing what'll be screened next

triple paisley minimum
jm

« Reply #33 on: Mar 03, 2012, 01:21:32 PM »

dude, saw this and the lady and I just spent a couple minutes trying to figure out if we could actually make it.

auto-da-fey

« Reply #34 on: Mar 03, 2012, 01:24:57 PM »

20 dollar roundtrip on the chinatown bus and pretty good chance the lady and i could put you up, just sayin...
mixed cats

« Reply #35 on: Mar 03, 2012, 07:52:47 PM »

I finally got to see the film the Quay brothers made for the Mutter Museum. $10 for the screening and a DVD. I took my mom. Annnnnnd then I almost fainted in the middle of it, suspiciously during the part where they were examining a rather awful tool used to save women from dying in childbirth. I didn't feel sick at all, so I don't know if I was having a physical issue (not enough food/drink, sitting too long) or if my pregnant lady lizard brain was getting the better of my normal brain. Awful cold sweats, the shakes, seeing stars, the whole nine. Completely fucked.

Otherwise I really enjoyed it, and so did my mom!

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
Greg Nog

« Reply #36 on: Mar 03, 2012, 08:58:22 PM »

I've lately been thinking about revisiting the Star Wars prequels, which I think I've only seen once.  I think I'm gonna skip I altogether, and watch Episode II tonight.  I remember hating it (though not with the unreal loathing I had for Episode I), but finding III surprisingly good.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #37 on: Mar 03, 2012, 09:07:55 PM »

hey Greg instead why not just watch this youtube video (apparently made by a classmate of B's) that presents a pretty compelling case for an Episode I that would not have sucked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgICnbC2-_Y&feature=g-u-u&context=G2e07b37FUAAAAAAAAAA

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
jm

« Reply #38 on: Mar 03, 2012, 09:38:24 PM »

I've lately been thinking about revisiting the Star Wars prequels, which I think I've only seen once.  I think I'm gonna skip I altogether, and watch Episode II tonight.  I remember hating it (though not with the unreal loathing I had for Episode I), but finding III surprisingly good.

I didn't mind I half as much as most people did, but I remember being just bored fucking stiff with II.

jebreject

« Reply #39 on: Mar 03, 2012, 10:25:09 PM »

jeb, did the screener you watched seem like the subtitles were poorly translated? I watched about 1/4 of it and turned it off because I didn't want to spoil it for myself if it were indeed some amateurish translation job (which it seemed to be). Watching a pre-DVD screener subtitled by some bilingual German pirate totally ruined The Lives of Others for me a few years ago.

Ended up seeing it in the theater actually. I could watch through the screener a bit and let you know though.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #40 on: Mar 04, 2012, 03:27:30 AM »

I didn't mind I half as much as most people did, but I remember being just bored fucking stiff with II.

yep, this is my experience

milly balgeary

« Reply #41 on: Mar 04, 2012, 07:35:23 AM »

Heart eaten.

Greg Nog

« Reply #42 on: Mar 04, 2012, 10:55:58 AM »

Episode II was largely boring toward the end, with the exception of the Yoda fight, which I think I'd remembered being longer than it actually was.  At the beginning of the movie, I kept motioning toward the screen and shouting "COME ON!" like G.O.B., as the dialogue was so fucking rotten; each scene seemed like a chore Lucas had to do in order to get the exposition out there, with zero joy taken in the creation of characters or plot.  I'd also forgotten just how awful Hayden Christiansen was.
Ignatius

« Reply #43 on: Mar 04, 2012, 01:18:58 PM »

They're showing The Rundown w/ Stifler and The Rock at 5:00 today, to be introduced by Jonathan Demme. I have no idea how I didn't realize this was happening until today, but I've got A THING TO DO now btw early afternoon basketball and evening basketball.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #44 on: Mar 05, 2012, 10:04:47 PM »

Dunno if it's the mood I'm in or what but I really am not enjoying the Muppets movie even half as much as the first time and it's kinda bumming me out. Sad

think 'on the road.'
Babar

« Reply #45 on: Mar 06, 2012, 02:10:58 AM »

Well.... that was depressing. Good film though. I'm foreseeing a good run of Japanese animated films in the coming weeks. Next stop, Perfect Blue. I'm willing to listen to any recommendations.
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2012, 02:22:44 AM by Babar » Logged

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
Good Intentions

« Reply #46 on: Mar 06, 2012, 02:33:13 AM »

Not many will be as emotionally affecting as that one.

Something outside of the obvious canon that I recommend are the two Rurouni Kenshin OVAs, which are quite hard-hitting and touching, which is a surprise given how silly and childish the Rurouni Kenshin series itself is.
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2012, 02:37:47 AM by Good Intentions » Logged
Babar

« Reply #47 on: Mar 06, 2012, 04:33:34 AM »

Thanks!

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
cold before sunrise

« Reply #48 on: Mar 06, 2012, 05:19:54 AM »

i've been wanting to watch harry and the hendersons again lately.

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
peacocks

« Reply #49 on: Mar 06, 2012, 08:45:08 AM »

I saw blood simple last night! Loved it. I laughed mostly in total disbelief of what was happening through the whole thing. And I just realized the guy from don't tell mom the baby sitter's dead is in it.

dick-check your priviledge
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: MOVIES MOVIES MOVIES! ACK!
Jump to: