Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 01, 2014, 08:35:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658067 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 50 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 24
Print
Author Topic: MOVIES MOVIES MOVIES! ACK!  (Read 19785 times)
Greg Nog

« Reply #175 on: Apr 14, 2012, 05:05:20 PM »

I watched The Sting on the bus today; it was the first time I'd seen it in well over a decade!  I forgot how great it is.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #176 on: Apr 14, 2012, 08:21:05 PM »

Never made it through the first half hour or so of Marnie (definitely draggy) but that compels me to rewatch it, as I've always mentally lumped it in with those other dull late Hitchcock flicks separating The Birds and Frenzy.

well, to be sure, it IS pretty dull (though nowhere near Torn Curtain or Topaz dull), but the soggy degenerate undercurrents soaking through it give you something to sink into as the nothing happens.
Babar

« Reply #177 on: Apr 14, 2012, 10:44:30 PM »

Just saw Dogtooth. I'm so glad I went into it not knowing anything about it, it was a rollercoaster ride. Fantastic film.

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
davy

« Reply #178 on: Apr 15, 2012, 12:59:54 PM »

L and I were rather surprised with Friends with Kids last night -- less funny than predicted, and pretty damn depressing! Occasionally brutal, even, like when John Hamm loses his shit (for the first of many times) and screams "You'd think I raped you to have this baby!" at his wife (Kristen Wiig, who plays a character just as unfortunate as the heroine of Bridesmaids, without any of the humor).

I mean, it was pretty good, and it gets points for covering a subject that's really important and not often dealt with in movies, but yeah, don't go into it thinking Bridesmaids 2 or whatever.

It also sort of throws in the towel midway through -- it seems to be delivering a brave and progressive message about nontraditional parenting for the first half of the film, and then the second half devolves rapidly into maudlin, predictable first-world romance baloney.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #179 on: Apr 15, 2012, 05:41:34 PM »

I watched The Sting on the bus today; it was the first time I'd seen it in well over a decade!  I forgot how great it is.

I watched it on a plane a couple years ago for the first time since I was 12 or 13, and absolutely loved it. So many people at the height of their game in that movie. Also the score is awesome.

think 'on the road.'
Good Intentions

« Reply #180 on: Apr 15, 2012, 06:35:53 PM »

I've still never seen that movie, though I'd really like to.
Greg Nog

« Reply #181 on: Apr 15, 2012, 07:24:17 PM »

Yeah, the whole thing is just wonderful.  It made me feel like I'm not listening to enough ragtime.
jebreject

« Reply #182 on: Apr 15, 2012, 08:59:56 PM »

Cabin in the Woods! It was crazy awesome.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #183 on: Apr 15, 2012, 09:10:55 PM »

For real! I support Whedon's continued trajectory towards stoner-philosophy. It really fits his style: a movie that high-concept could've been really annoying without his trademark goofy-but-not-unearned dialogue.

Fran Kranz will get all the shine from this movie (and good for him; he's come a long way since being the thing everyone hated most in the "Dollhouse" pilot), but holy shit, that's most I've liked Bradley Whitford in almost a decade.
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2012, 09:13:48 PM by dieblucasdie » Logged

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Greg Nog

« Reply #184 on: Apr 16, 2012, 02:01:02 PM »

So I just watched Tower Heist, and holy shit it is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Like, just transcendentally bad. I'm still kind of reeling.
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #185 on: Apr 16, 2012, 10:30:48 PM »

cabin in the woods a+

edison

« Reply #186 on: Apr 18, 2012, 02:35:10 AM »

Just saw Dogtooth. I'm so glad I went into it not knowing anything about it, it was a rollercoaster ride. Fantastic film.

The self-satisfied and vacuous brand of provocation of that sub-sub-sub Bunuel movie left me seething with anger. Attenberg, though, which came out more recently, I loved - it was produced by the director of Dogtooth and is part of same young Greek school, but I thought it handled many of the things Dogtooth was going after much more subtly and beautifully.
Babar

« Reply #187 on: Apr 18, 2012, 01:19:31 PM »

Not all films need to be subtle or beautiful. I loved the ruthless forthrightness of Kynodontas. It's just a matter of personal taste, I think.

nicoinfurs

« Reply #188 on: Apr 18, 2012, 09:21:10 PM »

Gonna see the latest Zygantsev tomorrow, 'Elena (2011)'. Better known as the director of 'The Return'(Vozvrashchenie) and 'The Banishment'(Izgnanie). Really loved The Return back then, might even be my favorite movie.
Good Intentions

« Reply #189 on: Apr 18, 2012, 09:28:59 PM »

If I get the chance, I'll be going to at least one of the showings of ex-LPTJer difficult's films here in Auckland tonight and tomorrow.
edison

« Reply #190 on: Apr 19, 2012, 01:26:14 AM »

Not all films need to be subtle or beautiful. I loved the ruthless forthrightness of Kynodontas. It's just a matter of personal taste, I think.

There's an important difference between ruthless forthrightness and mechanically ticking off a list of taboos for shock effect, I think! Anyway, glad you got something out of it.
Babar

« Reply #191 on: Apr 19, 2012, 06:08:56 AM »

There's an important difference between ruthless forthrightness and mechanically ticking off a list of taboos for shock effect, I think! Anyway, glad you got something out of it.

Bah, taboos. I thought we were from the internet. The only actual taboo the film deals with is incest and it was very important for the conclusion of the story. I think the objective of the filmmaker was not to shock the audience but to simply tell a story, a remarkable and fucked-up story.

clare

« Reply #192 on: Apr 21, 2012, 04:53:13 AM »

I saw The Hunger Games today (just finished reading the book this morning) with Mr 11. Am I the only one who thought "Nog!!" every time Seneca showed his face? Greg, you should totally shave wanky patterns into your beard.

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
Greg Nog

« Reply #193 on: Apr 22, 2012, 06:03:19 PM »

I still haven't seen it!  It was either gonna be that or Cabin In The Woods today, and I opted for the latter, which was pretty fun.  The ending was a little bit of a letdown, not least because I'd been hearing from people "DON'T READ ANYTHING ABOUT THE MOVIE FIRST", so I kind of thought there was gonna be some big surprise or Crazy Mindfuck toward the end.  But no, the whole story was pretty much the exact premise they lay out in the first frames of the film.
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #194 on: Apr 22, 2012, 06:06:04 PM »

think the reason everyone's like "DON'T READ ANYTHING ABOUT THE MOVIE FIRST" is because the premise is so neat that it's sort of nice to be surprised by it in the theater

jebreject

« Reply #195 on: Apr 22, 2012, 09:42:38 PM »

Yeah, I think Brad's right. And I mean, a lot of people I know who haven't seen it but have read about it (and some of those who have seen it and didn't care for it) are taking the end as if it's meant to be some kind of twist, which, if you're taking it that way, is totally disappointing and dumb. But it's not meant to be a twist!

Also, there are a few other good reasons not to read about it beforehand. For instance, who would want to know going in about the unicorn goring that dude with its horn or Chekhov's merman?

Em

« Reply #196 on: Apr 23, 2012, 10:15:01 AM »

Cabin in the Woods! It was crazy awesome.

Cosign!
Greg Nog

« Reply #197 on: Apr 23, 2012, 11:40:44 AM »

I enjoyed it overall, despite feeling pretty cheated that we don't get to see the elder god in its full form, and that the only bit of it we do see is just a big human hand instead of a concatenation of Nightmare shapes or something..  But in terms of visual appeal, I really liked the huge array of Monsters, particularly the pseudo-Pinhead.

One of the main downsides of the movie was that it really crystallized for me a thing that I'm now realizing Whedon does all the time:

1) Action and dialogue, all pointing at what's apparently going on.
2) Character who's newish to the situation: "Wait, I don't understand."
3) Character who's the Old Hand at this: "(incredibly explicit uninterrupted expository monologue about what's actually going on)"
nicoinfurs

« Reply #198 on: Apr 23, 2012, 07:56:40 PM »

Can anyone recommend me a good and sophisticated movie about (American) sports? Something like Moneyball, and not like Goon. If you know what I mean.

The best thing I've ever seen about sports is a Steve James doc called Hoop Dreams, which is more of a documentary. Strong stuff, and made me love basketball so much more than I already did.
jebreject

« Reply #199 on: Apr 23, 2012, 08:09:04 PM »

The TV show Sports Night

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 24
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: MOVIES MOVIES MOVIES! ACK!
Jump to: