Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 21, 2014, 04:46:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658106 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 50 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 24
Print
Author Topic: MOVIES MOVIES MOVIES! ACK!  (Read 19975 times)
mixed cats

« Reply #300 on: May 18, 2012, 10:52:07 AM »

(and can't even claim anyone forced me; guess I just had a yay-Philly moment)
This is why we went to see Signs - it was filmed in Bucks county, Newtown I think? and Bill wanted to see it, since that area was a big part of his youth. When it was over we were angry that we got tricked into seeing a nonsensical movie about faith, so we have avoided all his movies since.

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #301 on: May 18, 2012, 11:10:50 AM »

oh hey Mindy and I finally got around to seeing Cabin in the Woods Wednesday night and it pretty much ruled. Agree w/ Greg though that the little bit of the elder god we got to see was clearly too anthropomorphic, not chthonic/eldritch/squiggly enough.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 11:38:16 AM by YojimboMonkey » Logged

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
nonotyet

« Reply #302 on: May 18, 2012, 11:36:33 AM »

I agree thirdly.
I do not do well with violence in movies but I really wanted to see it, so/but/also I spent maybe a third of it hiding under the hood of the giant-hooded fleece I was wearing. I found the non-human-being-form violence a lot easier to watch as opposed to a thing that is shaped like a person and people can strangle each other, is the best way I can put that, and I thought the blood at the end was actually kind of hilarious. THERE WAS SO MUCH.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #303 on: May 21, 2012, 12:28:18 PM »

I've been using Netflix to watch nothing other than these PBS American Experience documentaries for the past few weeks. They're skewing middlebrow, but nicely put together and feature a lot of pretty impressive talking heads (from Doris Kearns Goodwin to Gorbachev!). There are a lot of presidential bios, and I've watched Nixon, FDR, LBJ, Reagan and Truman. The LBJ one was probably the best. Watching one on My Lai now.

think 'on the road.'
davy

« Reply #304 on: May 21, 2012, 12:33:47 PM »

I remember being pretty affected by the Jonestown and lobotomy episodes.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
dumbfish

« Reply #305 on: May 21, 2012, 01:29:13 PM »

Middlebrow lobotomy sounds apt.

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
G.C.R

« Reply #306 on: May 22, 2012, 05:29:55 AM »

I just watched that doco In the mirror of Maya Deren and so was just searching to see if anyone here had said anything about it, and saw that Hannah wrote her undergrad thesis about Deren. Damn Hannah, you cool.
I hadn't seen a lot of Deren's work (Well, actually only Meshes and bits of At Land) so I liked the doco a lot, but I imagine, as it's pretty history-y rather than analytical, that it wouldn't do a lot for anyone who knew much about her already. It's definitely made me want to see more of her work, which is amazing, though the whole primitivist ethnographic thing so many artists of that time seemed to be way into seems pretty exploitative now.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
elpollodiablo

« Reply #307 on: May 31, 2012, 08:27:27 PM »

Holy crap January Jones is so so terrible

think 'on the road.'
jebreject

« Reply #308 on: May 31, 2012, 09:31:30 PM »

Yes she is!

In good news, though, I think Veep has gotten better! Or at least I like it more. It's still not nearly as good as what I've seen as The Thick of It, but I enjoyed the last two episodes quite a bit.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Babar

« Reply #309 on: May 31, 2012, 10:15:18 PM »

Take thy telly box hogwash back to the devilish shambles from which it cometh from, here we articulate the delicate art of the motion picture Wink

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
Babar

« Reply #310 on: Jun 04, 2012, 07:09:44 PM »

Hey -G-C-R- so I watched Dennis Hopper's Out of the Blue because you put it as your favorite movie in some questionnaire thread. Wow, what a brilliant movie. That kid is just about the coolest damn kid in cinema history. There's a thin line between cool and annoying when it comes to kid actors, but she's not annoying in the slightest. I think my favorite scene is one very early in the movie where Ceb and her mom are sitting at the diner at just talking nonchalantly. There's no quotable line in that scene it's just how real it feels, the chemistry between the actresses and the way the dialogue doesn't really goes anywhere just like in real conversations. Then there's the whole punk thing going on. Really enjoyed it. Doesn't quite breach the walls of top-10, top-30 is distant, perhaps top-50 upon further review and contemplation. But hey lemme tell you top-50 is a great place to be. A lot of films would love to be there.

Anybody here seen Dennis Hopper's The Last Movie? I think that's where I want to go next in his filmography, unless anyone would suggest otherwise. (yup, done seen easy rider)

G.C.R

« Reply #311 on: Jun 05, 2012, 10:34:22 PM »

Oh man, Babar, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Linda Manz is incredible - she's also in Terence malick's Days of Heaven, and The Wanderers. I also Posted about her on this dumb blog I had that I kept up for like 8 posts before getting busy with other things

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Anne the Man

« Reply #312 on: Jun 05, 2012, 11:03:05 PM »

I like the tension involved in watching Out of the Blue, in that you have to concentrate real hard to make out what people are shouting over each other. I was rather annoyed by the blurb on my copy though, which exposed literally the entire plot before I'd seen it.

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
Babar

« Reply #313 on: Jun 06, 2012, 02:39:13 AM »

I've got burnt too many times reading those darn blurbs, now I always try to enter a film with a clear frame of mind. No trailers, no reviews and no plot synopsis of any kind. But yeah, Linda Manz was absolutely terrific and now I got a great reason to finally watch Days of Heaven. Amazing that she disappeared from films so quickly.

Greg Nog

« Reply #314 on: Jun 07, 2012, 10:49:25 PM »

Whoa, so as far as diagetic-camera-movies go, Chronicle was like a billion times better than Cloverfield.  It was also pretty much a cover version of Akira, which is awesome, as it allows me to snootily mutter, "They already MADE a remake of Akira, it's called CHRONICLE" if they ever actually do the American remake of Akira.
coldforge

« Reply #315 on: Jun 08, 2012, 12:06:08 AM »

I will snootily mutter, 'I liked it better when it was called Akira!'

č l'era del terzo mondo.
G.C.R

« Reply #316 on: Jun 08, 2012, 12:22:58 AM »

i just saw Cloverfield last week, ans I actually really dug it! I dunno, i think i was expecting terrible, and then i got an actually pretty fun disaster movie.

davy

« Reply #317 on: Jun 08, 2012, 09:02:31 AM »

Yeah, I liked Cloverfield and I'm always kinda surprised that so few others do.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #318 on: Jun 08, 2012, 09:05:24 AM »

I enjoyed seeing all of the main characters killed off one by one, especially after having to sit through nearly thirty minutes of their Heineken-commercialesque loft party.

think 'on the road.'
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #319 on: Jun 08, 2012, 09:43:47 AM »

I really liked the idea of a big monster movie from the ground level instead of from the perspective of the generals and the scientists. I don't think it needed to feature shakycam work and a cast of douchebags and idiots though.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
jebreject

« Reply #320 on: Jun 08, 2012, 10:44:32 AM »

Whoa, so as far as diagetic-camera-movies go, Chronicle was like a billion times better than Cloverfield.  It was also pretty much a cover version of Akira, which is awesome, as it allows me to snootily mutter, "They already MADE a remake of Akira, it's called CHRONICLE" if they ever actually do the American remake of Akira.

Word!

I've watched it a couple times now, and I'm really quite like it. Just trips all the right triggers for me I guess.

Thanks again to Pollo for recommending it!

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Nick Ink

« Reply #321 on: Jun 08, 2012, 11:03:25 AM »

I remember sitting on a hillside with an enormous spliff, watching Akira on an outdoor cinema screen at the Glastonbury Festival in 1989. Just saying.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Greg Nog

« Reply #322 on: Jun 08, 2012, 01:00:41 PM »

It's been years since I've watched it, but I think I saw it enough in high school and college that I can pretty much just re-enact the whole thing from memory at this point.  I do still listen to the soundtrack all the time.
G.C.R

« Reply #323 on: Jun 13, 2012, 07:42:19 AM »

So like I just thought I'd watch a classic American film and ok why not how about the original Cape Fear? Man, I haven't seen a film I found so disturbing in a really long time. I wanted to turn it off at a couple of moments it was so nasty, but the thing is, it was also really compelling and good, so I made it to the end. Still, argh. Mitchum is so frightening.

Babar

« Reply #324 on: Jun 13, 2012, 10:01:33 AM »

I haven't seen the original Cape Fear but I remember the video cassette cover in my local rental shop that looked like this:

and I always felt like Robert Mitchum was holding a turkey leg.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 24
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: MOVIES MOVIES MOVIES! ACK!
Jump to: