Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 28, 2014, 02:18:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657793 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 58 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Eating on public transit  (Read 1616 times)
jm

« Reply #25 on: Mar 03, 2012, 12:35:10 PM »

I drink my iced coffee on the train all the time, unless I get it next to my house and have consumed all of it before I get to the train.

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
Nick Ink

« Reply #26 on: Mar 03, 2012, 12:37:55 PM »

Surely there's nothing wrong with drinking on public transport though? That would be a strange opinion.

edit: To add, I often eat my (almost completely non-smelly) sandwiches on the bus, but probably wouldn't if someone was sat right next to me. I dislike it when people have McDonalds and stuff like that - even with my much-diminished sense of smell, it's a bit much.
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2012, 12:40:17 PM by Nick Ink » Logged

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Greg Nog

« Reply #27 on: Mar 03, 2012, 12:55:45 PM »

The other day this dude on the bus in front of me was swigging vodka from a flask-sized bottle that he kept unsuccessfully trying to hide from public view.  The lady to his right was giving him the gimlet eye somethin' fierce, and the two dudes to his left started talking about what a bad brand of vodka it was, which led to a broader conversation between them about their favorite liquors.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #28 on: Mar 03, 2012, 12:59:33 PM »

I'm willing to bet I spend as much time on public transit as anyone on LPTJ, and food almost never bothers me. What I hate are the unnecessarily loud conversations, but I always try to take refuge on the quiet cars whenever possible, and when it's truly inescapable, just keep reminding myself such are the facets of the public sphere.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #29 on: Mar 03, 2012, 12:59:43 PM »

At base, this is a consideration of people's personal space, yeah? And it's situational. Obviously if you get on a train and there are three other people on it, it's cool to stretch out, put your feet up, take up as much room as you want, etc. If you're on a jam-packed rush hour train and you insist on sitting with your knees cocked out as far as possible, that's a dick move. Similarly, if you're coming home at 2am from the bar and decide you wanna eat some cheese fries while sitting at the back of the bus in relative solitude, that's probably okay. If you bring your breakfast burrito with onions onto a crowded train and eat it with both hands in the middle of the car, then fuck you and everyone who looks like you forever. That's sociopathic.

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #30 on: Mar 03, 2012, 01:01:37 PM »

Additionally, as has been mentioned by others, people are fucking disgusting and don't pick up after themselves. So not only does the presence of like fried chicken or soup create the distinct possibility for someone minding their own business to get food on them through no fault of their own, the poor bastards who maintain the trains and busses have to clean all that shit up.

think 'on the road.'
Ashley

« Reply #31 on: Mar 03, 2012, 01:02:14 PM »

I don't know man, it's just food.  It's not like they're gorging on aborted fetuses.

edit: but yea, clean that shit up

dogg you ain't gotta rustle outside in cloaks of darkness and shit
jm

« Reply #32 on: Mar 03, 2012, 01:02:48 PM »

So yeah, when we're talking dry, are we talking food-that-is-not-soup, or no-liquids (i.e., no drinks on the train)?

Greg Nog

« Reply #33 on: Mar 03, 2012, 01:04:05 PM »

Oh, I assume dry just meant no colloids/gels.  Like, a biscuit is fine, general tso's chicken less so.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #34 on: Mar 03, 2012, 01:04:28 PM »

I think the Revolutionary Council would ultimately determine that drinks with lids are okay. No cans.

think 'on the road.'
Ashley

« Reply #35 on: Mar 03, 2012, 01:07:04 PM »

nice story about eating on public transit:

one time i was drunk drunk drunk and riding the night bloor bus (subway replacement) aka the vomit comet (because the ttc is called "the rocket") at 3 am in the back with a bunch of drunk strangers.  a guy takes out a pack of processed cheese and offers everyone a slice, most people take one.  after everyone has eaten the cheese he takes out a pack of imitation crab and goes "oh I have this too" and everyone eats some crab.  everyone was pretty fucking pleased about it.

Ashley

« Reply #36 on: Mar 03, 2012, 01:08:04 PM »

really though on a thing called the vomit comet you probably have worse things to worry about than a bit of mealios.

jess

« Reply #37 on: Mar 03, 2012, 01:08:27 PM »

Oh, I assume dry just meant no colloids/gels.  Like, a biscuit is fine, general tso's chicken less so.

Yeah, and I'm assuming drinks is a separate issue and generally ok assuming that they are in reasonably spill avoidance containers, like bottles and coffee cups with lids are cool, but open cups probably less so especially if it's a standing room only kind of situation.

I've taken frozen yogurt on a train before, but not during crowded times, and it was in a cup. That probably violates the rule, but I doubt anyone cared, since it didn't make a mess at all.
jm

« Reply #38 on: Mar 03, 2012, 01:09:04 PM »

nice story about eating on public transit:

one time i was drunk drunk drunk and riding the night bloor bus (subway replacement) aka the vomit comet (because the ttc is called "the rocket") at 3 am in the back with a bunch of drunk strangers.  a guy takes out a pack of processed cheese and offers everyone a slice, most people take one.  after everyone has eaten the cheese he takes out a pack of imitation crab and goes "oh I have this too" and everyone eats some crab.  everyone was pretty fucking pleased about it.

ahahaha that's amazing.  Kind of sketch-comedy absurd.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #39 on: Mar 03, 2012, 01:09:32 PM »

Eating imitation crab offered you by a guy on the bus demonstrates some really poor survival skills IMO

think 'on the road.'
Ashley

« Reply #40 on: Mar 03, 2012, 01:10:57 PM »

i didn't eat it, i just watched.

sometimes in the pack of the vomit comet a pack of gum gets passed around, i take that.

i don't think i've ever eaten imitation crab in my life.

Thermofusion

« Reply #41 on: Mar 03, 2012, 01:11:12 PM »

natural selection manifests itself in weird ways in this modern century

triple paisley minimum
Greg Nog

« Reply #42 on: Mar 03, 2012, 01:12:59 PM »

Those who do not eat imitation crab, die young
Thermofusion

« Reply #43 on: Mar 03, 2012, 01:33:38 PM »

In the spirit of a silly thing my friend took part in, Ashley you should organize a flash mob where a bunch of your friends board the train at the same stop and offer everyone crackers and crab dip. One dude has to be in a crab costume. Then you'd all quickly hop off at the next stop.

triple paisley minimum
Nick Ink

« Reply #44 on: Mar 03, 2012, 02:10:13 PM »

I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles! Pretty Bubbles In The Air!!

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
alistarr*

« Reply #45 on: Mar 03, 2012, 02:17:14 PM »

Food is fine with me, but I hate sitting near people who've been drinking or smoking recently. I guess I'm pretty inconsistent in my public transport judgements.
clare

« Reply #46 on: Mar 03, 2012, 05:41:32 PM »

I was looking for an image of the "no food/drinks" sign in the buses here, but instead found this silly list of rules

http://www.amazingaustralia.com.au/laws.htm

I'll just have to take a pic of the bus sign myself.

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
mixed cats

« Reply #47 on: Mar 03, 2012, 07:41:31 PM »

I went on the later train today (did not eat on it!) and once it got crowded a woman sat next to me who was eating a grape dumdum and smelled strongly of dogs
Eeeehhhhhhh

(Dog smell is a motion sickness trigger for me, but I shouldn't complain for how many years I've left the house smelling obnoxiously of ferret)

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
C of heartbreak

« Reply #48 on: Mar 03, 2012, 10:16:38 PM »

Additionally, as has been mentioned by others, people are fucking disgusting and don't pick up after themselves. So not only does the presence of like fried chicken or soup create the distinct possibility for someone minding their own business to get food on them through no fault of their own, the poor bastards who maintain the trains and busses have to clean all that shit up.

Food waste either gets swept off the bus at the end of the night or mashed into the seats. It's not that big of a deal, compared to the fact that that people who ride the bus just seem to be filthy in general. Everybody here would rather work underneath a bus and get covered with grease than touch stuff inside the bus. So, if you really want to help the bus people out, take a shower before you ride!

Also, bus drivers regularly pee in the rear stepwell, FYI.

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
Ignatius

« Reply #49 on: Mar 03, 2012, 11:08:31 PM »

That's my favorite fact of 2012!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Eating on public transit
Jump to: