Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Aug 01, 2014, 06:32:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657809 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 78 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20
Print
Author Topic: BEHAVE YOURSELVES: Breitbart Memorial LOLconservatives Thread  (Read 33074 times)
C of heartbreak

« Reply #325 on: Jul 07, 2012, 08:04:13 PM »

If I were someone who was interested in the interpersonal relations among supreme court justices, my favorite thing would be that not only has the court's righty-lunatic wing moved away from Roberts, but that Kennedy, who I think always got some smug satisfaction from being the court's swing man, totally got the rug pulled out from under him and has got to be resentful about that.

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
RavingLunatic

« Reply #326 on: Jul 08, 2012, 12:27:08 AM »

I overheard some dude on NPR talking about how most other countries have dozens, even hundreds, of judges on their versions of the Supreme Court. Can anybody enlighten me on what he's talking about?

His point, which I agree with, is that way too much political power is currently invested in a very small number of unelected justices and that this is bad for the country and democracy. I believe we've had some discussion on this topic before, but the whole structure of the Supreme Court seems insane to me. Pure luck---meaning basically what party happens to be in the White House when certain justices die or have such health problems that they retire---can to a great extent determine the political course the country takes. I can't think of two more perfect examples of this than ACA and Citizens United decisions. These seem to me so obviously political in nature that they clearly ought to be decided by elected representatives, not people who were appointed by presidents decades ago.

I think a larger number of justices, while it wouldn't fix many of the problems I have with the Supreme Court, would at least somewhat reduce the arbitrariness of its composition.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
dieblucasdie

« Reply #327 on: Jul 08, 2012, 11:28:56 AM »

The # of justices is actually set by act of Congress, not by the Constitution, so it's something they could change any time they want. It would be hard to do, politically, though, since it would be seen as an attempt by whoever happened to be in power to pack the court (FDR tried and failed to raise the # of justices to 15).

But yeah, a court of, say, 15 justices, serving for defined-but-still-long terms (say, 10 or 12 years) would be vastly preferable to what we have now.
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2012, 11:57:17 AM by dieblucasdie » Logged

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #328 on: Jul 08, 2012, 12:05:22 PM »

On topic:

http://alicublog.blogspot.com/2012/07/catching-on.html

Obama press secretary Ben LaBolt emails: “Your GOP operative should have had the courtesy to stay sober before noon, and BuzzFeed should go back to labeling cat slideshows.”

OK maybe I should vote for him again

RavingLunatic

« Reply #329 on: Jul 09, 2012, 10:42:47 PM »

Oh my god. Ben fucking LaBolt. I went to the same college as that guy for a year. I was a freshman when he was a senior. I had no idea he was already this high up in the Democratic machine, though he seemed like exactly the sort of boot-licking shapeshifter who would climb fast. Holy shit. I always considered him something of an asshole. I was heavily involved in the New Left club and the left-wing political bunch at the time, and he was the head of the campus Democrats. There was no overlap between the groups.

Labolt supported the idea of invading Iraq until about two days before the actual invasion, when he presumably decided the more politically opportune thing to do would be to nominally oppose it. There was a huge forum/debate about the upcoming invasion at the Rohatyn Center for International Affairs building. I'd been to that place about every week to hear all kinds of great speakers, people like Bill McKibben and Michael Klare, and the crowds had almost always been sparse. This time the place was packed, with people standing outside the doors just to hear.

Several student leaders gave speeches and a question/debate period followed. Labolt gave the most mealymouthed, waffling "anti-war" speech you could imagine, and I despised it more than the comparatively honest barbarisms of the conservative and Republican speakers. The next day, or maybe a couple days later, I headed to DC with two other New Left students and we took part in the anti-war protests for I think three days. It was cold and rainy. One of the guys I went with got arrested for climbing a tree in the park behind the White House. I tried to pass a United Nations flag to him and was warned that I was "aiding and abetting." To my everlasting shame, when I tried to throw him the flag it fell way short and was intercepted by the cops. Ah, memories.

dieblucasdie

« Reply #330 on: Jul 10, 2012, 05:52:13 PM »

So what you're saying is that I should start trolling him on Twitter yeah?

Antero

« Reply #331 on: Jul 10, 2012, 08:12:28 PM »

I think that is exactly what he is saying.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
hannah

« Reply #332 on: Jul 19, 2012, 02:44:37 PM »

So proud of my summer camp today!
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #333 on: Jul 19, 2012, 11:05:11 PM »

Matt Boyle will write about fucking anything.  I have more contempt that "journalist" than for any TPM or Huffpo writer.  By a long shot. 

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
Antero

« Reply #334 on: Jul 20, 2012, 12:43:21 AM »

The comments are pretty epic.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
fishjim

« Reply #335 on: Jul 20, 2012, 02:28:55 AM »

Me too!

Why is Knuckles so cranky?

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #336 on: Jul 20, 2012, 09:02:38 AM »

Oh, here's the sidebar when I clicked on that link:

Awesome. Bad optics aside, does the Daily Caller realize how insane having a weekly giveaway where you can win a handgun engraved with the Bill of Rights is?

hannah

« Reply #337 on: Jul 20, 2012, 09:22:29 AM »

Jesus.
cold before sunrise

« Reply #338 on: Jul 23, 2012, 05:27:15 AM »

the invention of the handgun was a low point for humanity but you know, i kind of want one too. guns guns guns! that one sunny in philly episode about gun swagger was on point. if this makes me a bad yogi then i'll have to meditate until i find the answer - martial arts are acceptable (correct?) so there's got to be a way of justifying some measure of violence within the practice.

the first thing that comes to mind is the occupation of tibet and how they should really let themselves do something about that. i mean, it's noble that the buddhist monks haven't resorted to guerilla warfare since china abducted their last dalai lama and recently tried to assassinate the current holy leader - imagine if they kidnapped and attempted to kill the pope - but now i hear china is using tibet, what might be the most peaceful country on earth (or tied with nearby bhutan), to store nuclear weapons and i really doubt you can meditate that kind of assholery away. it's a fallen world we live in: let's arm tibet.

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #339 on: Jul 23, 2012, 09:32:06 AM »

let's arm tibet.

I'd watch that movie.

imagine if they kidnapped and attempted to kill the pope

this one too

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
cold before sunrise

« Reply #340 on: Jul 23, 2012, 10:51:55 AM »

security was tight since they sent in a spy to poison him not too long ago: metal detectors and thorough pat downs. i noticed they didn't search my meditation pillow and that it had an opening that i went back and stuffed my camera and phone into (both unauthorized, you weren't allowed cigarettes, flame or weapons in the temple either). so i got my friend to stand on one side and held my pillow up with the other to snap a shot of his holiness chanting before his lecture, before being waved out of the way by a hundred monks motioning for us to move.

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
RavingLunatic

« Reply #341 on: Jul 23, 2012, 05:11:41 PM »

Is that really your summer camp? If so, that's awesome.

hannah

« Reply #342 on: Jul 23, 2012, 06:35:37 PM »

Yep! Went (as a camper and later as a counselor) for ten years.
DCDave

« Reply #343 on: Jul 25, 2012, 08:27:04 AM »

I've been thinking about the summer camp thing since you posted the link and every day it's just made me more and more angry. A statistician's political views have no bearing over how well she can do her job! They're totally disconnected! Also, this is a total fucking ridiculous witch hunt!

Worst politics.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
Thermofusion

« Reply #344 on: Jul 25, 2012, 02:00:27 PM »

Chick-fil-A President Pays the Cost of Being a Christian in America

their great chicken sandwiches and clean-cut young servers who reply to customers with “My pleasure” instead of “nooo problem, dude”

I've always found the smiley, aw-shucks "It's my pleasure to serve you!" crap at Chick-fil-A deeply creepy.

triple paisley minimum
dieblucasdie

« Reply #345 on: Jul 25, 2012, 02:36:54 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/ct-met-chicago-chick-fil-a-20120725,0,929023.story

Oh MAN that is right by my gym. I would eat there so much; why Chick-Fil-A gotta hate the gays.

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #346 on: Jul 25, 2012, 02:51:42 PM »

a FB friend of mine claims it's OK for him to still patronize Chik-Fil-A 'cause he's "buying Chik-Fil-A offsets." Which I took to mean something along the lines of giving BJs in Chik-Fil-A bathrooms. Which I guess I approve of.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Greg Nog

« Reply #347 on: Jul 25, 2012, 02:55:22 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/ct-met-chicago-chick-fil-a-20120725,0,929023.story

Oh MAN that is right by my gym. I would eat there so much; why Chick-Fil-A gotta hate the gays.

The Mayor of Boston is also trying to block a Chick-Fil-A that wants to open right by the Freedom Trail!
jess

« Reply #348 on: Jul 25, 2012, 03:42:11 PM »

I've heard of people who will eat Chick-Fil-A occasionally but will donate $10 to the HRC or some such in the name of Chick-Fil-A every time they do. I can be down with that. I imagine that would inevitably reduce Chick-Fil-A consumption, since while it's tasty, it hardly seems worth $15 or whatever.
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #349 on: Jul 25, 2012, 08:31:27 PM »

is liberal guilt more powerful than catholic guilt?  I'm going to drive a gas guzzler, but I'll donate $25 dollars to some douchebags who plant trees so that I can sleep at night.  I'm going to buy an iPhone made of toxic metals that destroy the environment, but here's another 20 to plant some more trees that totally offsets my hypocritical behavior.  I don't like the religious affiliation of Chik fil a, but those fucking sandwiches are better than crack and I just can't help myself, so I'll give ten bucks to gay charities.  

How about you just do what you fucking want to do this is fucking America.  

Also, is it that surprising that a company that closes its doors on Sundays, foregoing a shitload of money, so its employees can go to church also vaguely doesn't support gay marriage?  really?
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2012, 08:36:55 PM by FreddyKnuckles » Logged

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: BEHAVE YOURSELVES: Breitbart Memorial LOLconservatives Thread
Jump to: