Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Aug 02, 2014, 04:40:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657809 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 52 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hey Hey Milwaukee  (Read 697 times)
auto-da-fey

« on: Mar 11, 2012, 05:54:30 PM »

The lady and I will be hitting the fine city of MKE April 19-21 or so. The geographical center of our trip will be the Frontier Airlines Center, where she has a conference. Wondering if anyone has insight into cool neighborhoods roughly nearby/easily accessible on foot or convenient public transit--particularly, hotel suggestions.

also, we suggest Lamb's Legs book a gig that night. I ain't seen a show in MKE since . . . Warped Tour 2001? Gah!
jebreject

« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2012, 06:36:22 PM »

We're going to Madison for the day on the 20th to see a comedy show but otherwise we'll be around, and that's only for the day. No Lamb's Legs shows unfortunately, as we're playing like a week before.

If you guys want to crash at our place rather than do the hotel thing, that would be totally cool with us. Have a spare bed and everything. It wouldn't be an imposition. If it makes more sense to book a hotel, though, there are a number near the Frontier Airlines Center, though I'm not really in the position to give recommendations.

Downtown Books (though much diminished in its new location) is near the Frontier Airlines Center (less than a mile), and while it's not nearly as great as it once was, it's still a wonderful little used book store. Not much else downtown, other than Alem Village, which is probably my favorite restaurant in the city. The two or three neighborhoods you'd want to check out are all easily accessible by bus from downtown. Bayview is great for food, and there's a pretty good punk and metal-centric record store. Riverwest (which is where I live) has my favorite video store, a few great bars and restaurants (including the Riverwest Public House, one of only two cooperatively ran bars in the U.S.) You'll also find Woodland Pattern, which is a pretty rad book store, and the CCC, which is an infoshop and has some cool stuff. The Eastside is near UWM and there is a pretty great record store and also People's Books, which I'm sure you'd be interested in.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
jebreject

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2012, 06:37:22 PM »

By the way, you visited me (ever so briefly) with your friend in probably like 2006 or so. So you're a little off in your estimation of how long it's been since you've been to Milwaukee.  Cool

Edit: Also I am super excited about this! Hopefully there's time for some quality hangouts, and I'm looking forward to meeting M as well.

auto-da-fey

« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2012, 06:57:55 PM »

will read more closely tomorrow (heading home to my no-internet apartment)--but thanks Jeb!

probably we'll get a hotel because M's doing this through work anyway and needs a little professional-prep space etc., but offer much appreciated--and absofuckinglutely to quality hangouts.

also, just meant i hadn't seen a SHOW there since 2001--though I remember with absolute clarity buying Bob Mould's Modulate at Atomic Records (RIP  Crying or Very sad ) later, presumably while hitting a show, and now for no good reason I will be stuck trying to recover that memory all goddamn night.
jebreject

« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2012, 07:53:36 PM »

Oops! Misread. Well, anyway, give me more details when you've got 'em.

Good Intentions

« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2012, 09:33:15 PM »

In other Milwaukee items, a friend of mine got a position at Marquette University. She is, among other things, an expert on Buddhist philosophy (and did her PhD in my area, analytic meta-ethics, but that isn't as likely to interest anyone else). So you'll suddenly have a university with a strong profile in Buddhist philosophy on your doorstep, Jeb (her husband, a formal logician, also has a line in that field, though he isn't at Marquette).
jebreject

« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2012, 10:42:43 PM »

Marquette is a great school!

Buddhist at the Jesuit college ...

Good Intentions

« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2012, 11:17:47 PM »

Well, her audition talk was a paper of hers on the Buddhist model of ethical action, so it's not like she hid her interests.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2012, 11:42:08 PM »

Yeah, if anything, the big Catholic schools tend to jump at the chance to add religious or ideological diversity to their departments. Advancing within those departments can sometimes be a different story, but generally the problems are with vocal atheists or LGBT folk. I can't imagine Buddhism being a hinderance at Marquette.
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2012, 11:44:22 PM by dieblucasdie » Logged

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
jebreject

« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2012, 07:50:33 AM »

Oh yeah, I wasn't surprised or anything. I was just ... saying words for the sake of saying words, I guess.

Pages: [1]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: Hey Hey Milwaukee
Jump to: