Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 23, 2014, 06:24:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658023 Posts in 9261 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 42 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: New computer (stop all the downloading!)  (Read 3354 times)
DCDave

« on: Mar 15, 2012, 09:23:43 AM »

I've been using a macbook air from work for the last year and it's been a very functional laptop. However, I have to return in on April 20th (My last day - woooo) and need to buy another laptop if I don't find another job before then (And also should just have a computer.)  I don't think I want another mac because fuck spending 2Gs on a computer for real - Where should I get a new laptop from? My preferences are light + powerful which means probably expensive.

Halp.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2012, 09:37:36 AM »

That means expensive. You probably won't save much over the Air if you want a comparable machine. And base model Airs are like a G now right?

think 'on the road.'
DCDave

« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2012, 09:42:35 AM »

Oh hey, so they are.

jess

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2012, 10:13:07 AM »

I love my Air. So worth it. And yeah, not that expensive actually, esp the little one (which is what I have).
DCDave

« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2012, 10:18:53 AM »

I guess there is also a part of me that would like to be able to use my laptop for gaming if it's a personal laptop.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2012, 10:25:55 AM »

Then you are not going to have a light laptop unless you spend a fortune. But you probably already knew that.

think 'on the road.'
DCDave

« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2012, 10:30:55 AM »

Frown

jm

« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2012, 10:35:14 AM »

I gotta say, I'm not impressed with the lightness of the Air, especially with its underpoweredness taken into account.

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2012, 10:40:54 AM »

Man I bought this six pound Pro two years ago and it's so far, far beyond what I need in terms of power. I could have had a top-end Air for 2/3 the price and been perfectly happy.

think 'on the road.'
jess

« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2012, 10:44:20 AM »

I carry my Air in my purse all the time (walk to and from school and clinical placements with it), and it's pretty comfy—way more so than when I used to carry around a 13 in MBPro. Also, for my needs, it's plenty powered. The only thing I do that requires much is some of the stats stuff I run, and it manages to do that just fine.
jess

« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2012, 10:44:49 AM »

But yeah, I'm not a gamer, nor do I do any video stuff or anything like that, so ymmv.
Chet

« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2012, 10:45:42 AM »

the lightness of air seems just fine to me

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
jm

« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2012, 11:40:59 AM »

Bearable, even

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
davy

« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2012, 12:31:04 PM »

Hp Pavilion dm4-1065dx

Like I told dp, it's not the sexiest choice imaginable, but it was the only machine even close to my price range that has received near-unanimous praise from just about everybody--experts and owners alike. I love the keyboard, it's got a nice design, good specs, great screen, etc etc. I've owned HPs in the past and have had good experiences. My dad's HP laptop is 5 years old and has never been serviced.

It's not a terribly expensive laptop, but it's still $150 over what I was planning to spend and I wouldn't have been able to swing it without the no-interest financing dealio.

This motherfucker is holding up like a champ. Zero problems in 1.5 years and counting. I think it was $800 or thereabouts.

My previous laptop, a Sony Vaio, had already crashed twice in the same amount of time.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
alistarr*

« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2012, 04:22:02 PM »

Just want to add without making recommendations (because I clearly have low standards as I love every laptop I ever had): don't forget to think about battery life if you want it for carrying around, because I suspect your Macbook Air has been spoiling you where battery life is concerned - mine is newer than yours but is definitely way above a lot of machines in that regard.
milly balgeary

« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2012, 09:18:11 PM »

I have a mac pro, with a matte screen. I heart it. I think they are doing a "redesign" or something so wait and see?

milly balgeary

« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2012, 09:22:52 PM »

Hey, or buy a new iPad. I hear they are the shizzle?

Good Intentions

« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2012, 09:34:20 PM »

There is, unfortunately, no good way to get a really powerful computer as a laptop - even when you're paying a premium, your machine is always going to be hamstrung by especially temperature control constraints. Even if you don't take into consideration price and weight, or how hard they are to upgrade (if it's possible at all). I don't see a way around having a small, very light laptop and a beefy desktop machine if you want both mobility and processing power. And you can buy a low-range laptop and build a powerful desktop for less than what many higher-end laptops cost.
DCDave

« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2012, 10:44:57 PM »

The problem with a desktop is the requirement for a desk. Space is at a premium in my apartment.

Babar

« Reply #19 on: Mar 16, 2012, 06:58:03 AM »

When I finish this semester I'm gonna get myself one of them iMacs. I'll donate 500 gigabytes to Windows to play games, 1.5 TB to Mac OS for everything else. It will be the monumental centerpiece of my tiny apartment.

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
peacocks

« Reply #20 on: Mar 16, 2012, 07:52:10 AM »

The problem with a desktop is the requirement for a desk. Space is at a premium in my apartment.

the thing I'm planning to do is get a desk top and make the monitor my tv*, hook it up to my dvd/vhs player and stereo system so it's like everything and just have the tower thingy sitting on the floor tucked between two book cases. I also want a lap top type thing to bring to places. Since my lap top screen is barely connected to the keyboard I don't take it anywhere anyway, so that might be a waste of money.

*because my tv broke last week. So now the only electronics I have that actually work are my shitty lap top (which is an ibm and it is 6 years old and holding up extremely well under the circumstances) and my record player/receiver/speakers.

dick-check your priviledge
Em

« Reply #21 on: Apr 17, 2012, 09:50:10 PM »

Hey, so, is there any glaringly obvious reason I can't get away with just an iPad and no other computer? I don't do any fancy gaming or work stuff beyond word processing and the occasional spreadsheet and otherwise just use my computer for play. I would love the portability if there's not some flaw in my logic that will end up being a pain in my butt.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #22 on: Apr 17, 2012, 10:11:53 PM »

A little thing called Flash

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Em

« Reply #23 on: Apr 17, 2012, 10:24:24 PM »

Well, yeah. That's annoying. Forgot about that.
ellaguru

« Reply #24 on: Apr 17, 2012, 10:32:50 PM »

Although I did just pick up an Android tablet that can pretty near do the trick. I mean, I'm working in IT, so it won't quite cut it 100% for me, but I've been working from the tablet only for the last couple days and it can be done. 'Course, I think the glaringly obvious things you need, beyond flash, is a keyboard when you want it and some place to stick USB sticks into. So I got this! which after a week I'm still happy with. But who knows, I don't actually research stuff thoroughly. I mostly wanted something I could actually use productively on the subway.

Edited to add the nifty 360 action graphic!
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2012, 10:36:30 PM by ellaguru » Logged

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: New computer (stop all the downloading!)
Jump to: