Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:46:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658209 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 55 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: New news thread (sorry no witticism lol)  (Read 36363 times)
peacocks

« Reply #25 on: Apr 15, 2012, 04:32:19 PM »

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-04-15/news/os-2-found-burning-on-cady-way-trail-20120415_1_cady-way-trail-bodies-bicyclists

So basically 2 bodies were found set on fire, burning, on this bike trail a lot of people use to get from one side of town to the other here :/ pretty scary.

dick-check your priviledge
Antero

« Reply #26 on: Apr 15, 2012, 06:54:05 PM »

Yikes.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
Greg Nog

« Reply #27 on: Apr 15, 2012, 07:23:24 PM »

Were they killed before they were set on fire?  The article's not loading for me.
Good Intentions

« Reply #28 on: Apr 15, 2012, 07:28:53 PM »

Apdated link: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-2-found-burning-on-cady-way-trail-20120415,0,3551278.story

There's very little information in there; it doesn't answer Greg's question, for instance.
peacocks

« Reply #29 on: Apr 15, 2012, 08:39:23 PM »

It just happened this morning so I don't think they've found that out or released any more info, i'll definitely check on it tomorrow.

dick-check your priviledge
jebreject

« Reply #30 on: Apr 15, 2012, 08:59:39 PM »

What the fuck

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #31 on: Apr 24, 2012, 10:03:21 AM »

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Anne the Man

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2012, 09:07:27 AM »

I may have mentioned this before, but one of the massive issues in NZ politics atm is the sale of state assets. Unfortunately, like most other moves to privatise everything, asset sales are most likely being done only to ease in the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement later this year, which not much of the population know about given top secrecy etc. But still, the hikoi (Maori for protest in the form of a long journey--they started at the top of the North Island last week) against asset sales got to Parliament today, and they estimate over 5000 people were there. Best protest of my life, pretty much. Felt like everyone I knew was there, but I was too busy running around like an excited puppy to stick with any of them for long. Believe me, in a small country like ours it's rare to see a sight like this at Parliament:

Super fucking proud.

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
Little Sixes Little Nines

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2012, 04:25:39 PM »

mca is dead

Sad

i just sighed (my shitty tumblr)
Anne the Man

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2012, 08:05:23 PM »

Our government is providing publically-funded contraception (can we stop calling it 'free' please), but only for beneficiaries. And the original suggestion of the Welfare Working Group was that it be compulsory Shocked What up, eugenics! http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10804206

Good Intentions

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2012, 12:33:50 AM »

We should add that (a) this is almost certainly being blown way out of proportion in a sickening display of yellow journalism by the streak of piss paper of record in this country (b) subsidised preventative care (which is what contraception is) is a good idea and (c) offering something and forcing somebody to take it are very different things. Our current government probably can't be trusted to have done this for anything like appropriate reasons (their constant attacks on beneficiaries with children preclude that). But as a policy, this is something I would recommend.
G.C.R

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2012, 12:49:09 AM »

I'd agree with you Marinus, if it was a policy offering contraception for low-income earners. But it's not, it's a policy for beneficiaries and their teenage daughters. And given National's track record so far with beneficiaries, this just smacks of further demonising of them.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Anne the Man

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2012, 01:00:57 AM »

Why 'we' should add, Marinus, _you_ can add it if you like. I would feel much more comfortable with supporting it were it not coupled with the reforms for mothers who dare to get pregnant again whilst on the dole (making them search for work when the baby is 1 year old, rather than 5). It's beneficiary and mother-bashing. Yay, free contraception! But why on earth not for everyone?

Good Intentions

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2012, 01:20:03 AM »

Like I said, I'm by no means keen on the government's approach re: beneficiaries. But I think a large part of the apparent odiousness of the policy comes from the way it is reported on. That is, it got a front-page headline on government encroachment on private life. That is overegging the pudding a great deal.

I can't help but be aware that this is exactly the sort of measure which has been recommended by policy wonks, at home and abroad, for some time (normally with a proviso like 'if you can't do this for everybody, at least do it for people already receiving state support').

If it was impressed on the government, despite their biases to the contrary, that a policy of subsidised preventative care for vulnerable populations is both humane and cost-effective, then good on them. For them not to offer subsidised preventative care for beneficiaries would be cutting the nose to spite the face (something which, alas, is not beneath them).
Good Intentions

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2012, 03:25:07 AM »

Free contraceptives is a good policy. The following is a bad one, pushed through in the same set of reforms:

"The reforms include a requirement for those who have another child while on a benefit to look for work when that baby is 1, rather than wait until he or she is 5.
Ms Bennett said given that the Government was introducing penalties for those who had further children while on a benefit, it needed to ensure there was better access to contraception."

The contraceptives being subsidised are reversible long-term ones, which isn't ideal (I'd have preferred that the full gamut be offered, in particular the pill) but is workable. The fact that this is the carrot to a stick which is neither humane nor cost-effective is a large worry. The minister in charge of this is as usual going out swinging, to the benefit of nobody.

Nonetheless, contraceptives being offered is really something which has been suggested time and time again, and which is good policy. That's not the problem. The problem is the rest of the package.
Anne the Man

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2012, 05:11:30 AM »

I like how you always say over-egging the pudding! It's a random expression.

Yes, this is true. And focusing on the birth control part will probably detract from the other issues at stake. Though the policy puts the onus on women to be fully responsible for birth control, which is unfair. And it is at least partly because the right doesn't like women having sex (a WINZ person apparently told a woman to "shut your legs''). I also wonder if contraception will now be discussed with case managers before doctors--if so will they be specially trained to give women correct information about IUDs etc?

Good Intentions

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2012, 05:43:56 AM »

Do you think I need to cool my spurs re: overegging the pudding?
Anne the Man

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2012, 06:20:01 AM »

Nah, but you should probably cool your pudding and stop over-egging your spurs.

jebreject

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2012, 01:13:52 PM »

Here is a video wherein my cousin, who is a credentialed photographer for The UpTake, is attacked by a police officer. Also there are a bunch of other people being attacked by cops, who are swinging bicycles around as weapons.

http://www.theuptake.org/2012/05/20/chicago-police-attack-press-use-bikes-as-weapons/

In conclusion, motherfuck the police.

fishjim

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2012, 01:19:52 PM »

Can't sell weed legally, can't sell it illegally. What's the East Bay to do?

32 Indicted In East Bay Drug Ring

32 levels of dealing! = #based
Confiscated cache of firearms! = #notbased

Note the code name the feds chose: "Operation Disco Dazed". Says loads.
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2012, 12:11:06 AM by fishjim » Logged

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
jebreject

« Reply #45 on: Jun 05, 2012, 11:33:18 PM »

FUCK YOU WISCONSIN

FUCK YOU AMERICA

FUCK FUCK FUCK

kadiekatRN

« Reply #46 on: Jun 06, 2012, 10:52:31 AM »

Well, maybe next election we won't have weaksauce Barrett opposing Walker.  Also, at least the State Senate is no longer a rubber stamp!
hannah

« Reply #47 on: Jun 25, 2012, 09:24:26 AM »

Predictions on the health care ruling?
elpollodiablo

« Reply #48 on: Jun 25, 2012, 09:30:57 AM »

Individual mandate = unconstitutional & severable, resulting in a complete clusterfuck as the legislative package overall is rendered largely impractical although many of its provisions are already being instituted by the industry. Going forward I'd say: status quo with a couple of pathetic marginal improvements. Sweet first term!

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/06/5-signs-of-a-radical-change-in-us-politics/258904/
Pick a country and describe a sequence in which:
First, a presidential election is decided by five people, who don't even try to explain their choice in normal legal terms.
Then the beneficiary of that decision appoints the next two members of the court, who present themselves for consideration as restrained, humble figures who care only about law rather than ideology.
Once on the bench, for life, those two actively second-guess and re-do existing law, to advance the interests of the party that appointed them.
Meanwhile their party's representatives in the Senate abuse procedural rules to an extent never previously seen to block legislation -- and appointments, especially to the courts.
And, when a major piece of legislation gets through, the party's majority on the Supreme Court prepares to negate it -- even though the details of the plan were originally Republican proposals and even though the party's presidential nominee endorsed these concepts only a few years ago.
How would you describe a democracy where power was being shifted that way?

think 'on the road.'
RoyBiggins

« Reply #49 on: Jun 25, 2012, 01:28:06 PM »

Probably what Miles said. Fuck that.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: New news thread (sorry no witticism lol)
Jump to: