Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:45:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658205 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 40 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: New news thread (sorry no witticism lol)  (Read 36162 times)
Thermofusion

« Reply #75 on: Jun 28, 2012, 04:19:27 PM »

Blue Cross is essentially a monopoly in North Carolina. They strong-arm hospitals into accepting MFN clauses while shortchanging doctors and raising comsumer rates, they amass windfall profits and have eked out a 90% share of the individual/family market. Also they've been extremely aggressive against the health care reform bill. They fucking suck, even by giant corporation standards.

triple paisley minimum
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #76 on: Jun 28, 2012, 06:27:54 PM »

Thermo where does this knowledge come from? News?

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #77 on: Jun 28, 2012, 06:34:04 PM »

Man so this is totally going to work out in Romney's favor though isn't it? He can nail Obama on the "this is not a tax increase" thing and he can work to make the election largely a mandate on the law itself, large portions of which are terribly unpopular. Simply by promising to repeal the law as soon as he is able, Romney gains a lot of traction, doesn't he?

I think it helps down ticket for the denny rehbergs of the world a lot more.  Romneys still seen as a hypocrit on this.

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #78 on: Jun 28, 2012, 06:59:16 PM »

I thought you already had "pretty good health insurance"?

It's really, really bullshit that they upheld the mandate but questioned the Medicaid expansion, because A) You can't require everyone to have insurance and not give the poor some means to get it, and B) it's one part of that Frankenstein of a bill that will actually, for sure, expand access and improve outcomes.

Yeah I was just fucking with you.  I pay for my own private insurance, which is fairly inexpensive considering how good it is (PPO, first 5 doctor visits are free, I can choose between `almost` any doc I want).  I understand that my rates are bound to go up now!

My mind is blown by the vote breakdown.  I knew going in that Roberts has two basic goals: 1) to reign in the commerce clause, and 2) improve the public perception that the court makes decision based on the political whims of the day, and not on the law.  He technically did both here.  Unfortunately for his first concern, the slight pulling back of the commerce clause is balanced out by a huge increase in the taxing powers.

I talked to a gang of six negotiator who is an expert in this area and understands it all in creepy detail, so, I found out that I will qualify for Medicaid now!  Woo hoo.  Under the medicaid program I can pick between the shittiest doctors in town, if I can even find one accepting new medicaid patients, and we're going to quadruple the number of people who qualify, so I'm sure it'll be super easy to get in to see someone.  If that's "access" to care... I think the "access" in medicaid will result in people waiting until they're completely fucked up and going to the hospital, which will continue to drive up everyone's costs.  
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2012, 07:07:02 PM by FreddyKnuckles » Logged

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #79 on: Jun 28, 2012, 07:01:30 PM »

Edit: Also, my health insurance costs less than my cable bill does.

With who? I've been shopping plans lately and the cheapest one that looks halfway decent to me is $119/month

Kaiser Permanente, and my cable bill is more than 119/month :-/

Jesus titty-fucking christ dude, why on earth do you pay that much for cable?

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #80 on: Jun 28, 2012, 07:02:58 PM »

Mind. Blown.

Hey I'm 27 and unemployed. Now I have to buy health insurance i can't afford or pay a tax i can't afford. Sweet. I'm going to go join occupy movement now thanks.

LOL, except if the premiums are 8% of your income you're exempt, and Medicare covers you if you're at what, like 200% of the poverty line.

Edit: Also, my health insurance costs less than my cable bill does.

Medicaid, not Medicare. Medicare is what they ransacked to pay for the subsidies in the exchanges.

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #81 on: Jun 28, 2012, 07:17:53 PM »

He can nail Obama on the "this is not a tax increase" thing and he can work to make the election largely a mandate on the law itself, large portions of which are terribly unpopular.

You mean this?

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2009/09/obama-mandate-is-not-a-tax/

Sep 20, 2009 9:00am
Obama: Mandate is Not a Tax
  Email 280 Smaller Font Text Larger Text | Print

President Obama signaled in our interview that he was prepared to address some of the concerns raised by key Senator Jay Rockefeller, who called the Baucus bill a "big middle class tax increase" this week.

That means he'll support more subsidies for middle class families.

But in our most spirited exchange, the President refused to accept the argument that a mandate to buy health insurance is equivalent to a tax.

Here it is:

STEPHANOPOULOS:  You were against the individual mandate…

OBAMA:  Yes.

STEPHANOPOULOS:  …during the campaign.  Under this mandate, the government is forcing people to spend money, fining you if you don’t. How is that not a tax?

OBAMA:  Well, hold on a second, George. Here — here's what's happening.  You and I are both paying $900, on average — our families — in higher premiums because of uncompensated care.  Now what I've said is that if you can't afford health insurance, you certainly shouldn't be punished for that.  That's just piling on. If, on the other hand, we're giving tax credits, we've set up an exchange, you are now part of a big pool, we've driven down the costs, we've done everything we can and you actually can afford health insurance, but you've just decided, you know what, I want to take my chances.  And then you get hit by a bus and you and I have to pay for the emergency room care, that's…

STEPHANOPOULOS:  That may be, but it's still a tax increase.

OBAMA:  No.  That's not true, George.  The — for us to say that you've got to take a responsibility to get health insurance is absolutely not a tax increase.  What it's saying is, is that we're not going to have other people carrying your burdens for you anymore than the fact that right now everybody in America, just about, has to get auto insurance. Nobody considers that a tax increase. People say to themselves, that is a fair way to make sure that if you hit my car, that I'm not covering all the costs.

STEPHANOPOULOS:  But it may be fair, it may be good public policy…

OBAMA:  No, but — but, George, you — you can't just make up that language and decide that that's called a tax increase.  Any…

STEPHANOPOULOS:  Here’s the…

OBAMA:  What — what — if I — if I say that right now your premiums are going to be going up by 5 or 8 or 10 percent next year and you say well, that's not a tax increase; but, on the other hand, if I say that I don't want to have to pay for you not carrying coverage even after I give you tax credits that make it affordable, then…

STEPHANOPOULOS:  I — I don't think I'm making it up. Merriam Webster's Dictionary: Tax — "a charge, usually of money, imposed by authority on persons or property for public purposes."

OBAMA:  George, the fact that you looked up Merriam's Dictionary, the definition of tax increase, indicates to me that you're stretching a little bit right now.  Otherwise, you wouldn't have gone to the dictionary to check on the definition.  I mean what…

STEPHANOPOULOS:  Well, no, but…

OBAMA:  …what you're saying is…

STEPHANOPOULOS:  I wanted to check for myself.  But your critics say it is a tax increase.

OBAMA:  My critics say everything is a tax increase.  My critics say that I'm taking over every sector of the economy.  You know that. Look, we can have a legitimate debate about whether or not we're going to have an individual mandate or not, but…

STEPHANOPOULOS:  But you reject that it’s a tax increase?

OBAMA:  I absolutely reject that notion.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #82 on: Jun 28, 2012, 08:05:35 PM »

Well as Rand Paul observed today, just because five people on some bench somewhere say something is one way don't necessarily make it fuckin so

Though really I don't care if it's a tax.

Freddy, Dave or anyone else: what are the practical policy implications for the part of the decision that outlines how the Feds cannot reduce extant Medicaid payments to states as punitive measures for resisting the expansion of coverage? Like, how does that work at the policy level--did something in the legislation actually get invalidated, or can the court prevent the government from doing that somehow... ? I'm a little confused in that regard.

think 'on the road.'
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #83 on: Jun 28, 2012, 10:41:55 PM »

Yeah, a little bit. Medicaid is a joint state-fed effort.  Feds pay half, states pay half.  Feds set the general medicaid policies and the states are responsible for implementing it in their state and therefore also responsible for rooting out any waste, fraud, or abuse.  

Basically, here, the feds told the states: "you have to cover more people under your medicaid program.  We had an original deal, wherein you agreed to pay for half of the coverage with x people.  Now you have to pay for half of the coverage for x people, as well as y people and z people, forever."   (asterisk is that the feds pay ALL of the costs for 3 years, and then they split the costs forever).

The court said, yeah, you can ask states to do this, but you can't force them, and you can't fuck up your original .  So Obama's plan was to force states to expand Medicaid by saying, "either get on board, or we'll fuck up our current medicaid arrangement and  you'll be fucked"  The court said you can't do that.  Don't ask me to explain why, cause I ain't read that shit.  

OUTCOME: States now have the option to keep the medicaid status quo or go along with the new plan.  I have no idea how many will go along.
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2012, 10:47:22 PM by FreddyKnuckles » Logged

jebreject

« Reply #84 on: Jun 29, 2012, 03:52:22 AM »

Wisconsin ain't gonna

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #85 on: Jun 29, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »

I think the "access" in medicaid will result in people waiting until they're completely fucked up and going to the hospital, which will continue to drive up everyone's costs.  

This is the standard conservative line on Medicaid (that it's too crappy and doesn't truly improve access or outcomes) and up until last year there had been a string of competing studies that either supported or undermined that claim, but none of those studies were able to have a control group, since, you know, denying people healthcare in order to conduct a study would be unethical.

Then Oregon ran out of Medicaid money and held a lottery to see who got on Medicaid and who didn't, accidentally creating the first possible control.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/07/health/policy/07medicaid.html

So yeah, being on Medicaid vs. being uninsured improves both access and outcomes dramatically, and also dramatically improves overall psychological and financial well-being. Unpaid medical bills/medical collections for the poor and near-poor are an under-discussed aspect of the healthcare market that has huge consequences on the economy at large.

And these are just the immediate (<1 year) benefits.

You're in a weird, special, privileged situation, in that you probably technically qualify for Medicaid, but you're in an unmarried partnership with someone who makes a decent living, and have considerable fall-back resources at your disposal. Your personal situation does absolutely nothing to belie the overwhelmingly positive effect that Medicaid has on the healthcare market, the economy, and society at large.

It may be true that some people who qualify for Medicaid, but can afford private insurance are better off keeping their private insurance, but the uninsured are definitely, definitely, definitely better off on Medicaid.
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2012, 01:28:34 PM by dieblucasdie » Logged

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
nonotyet

« Reply #86 on: Jun 29, 2012, 01:44:11 PM »

So I have a friend who is an unemployed, divorced single mother of a 6 year old kid. She is currently on Badgercare but because Scott Walker a) survived the recall and b) is a giant dick, Badgercare got just decimated recently. She got a letter saying that because her ex-husband, who does not have custody of her kid [redacted, many things about how he is a fucking terrible human] is capable of putting the kid on his work insurance, my friend will lose her Badgercare in six months. She is currently on some meds that she really needs to stay on. Assuming that Obama and Obamacare survive, and her employment situation does not change before then, can she just transition to Medicaid? Is that how this will work?    
jebreject

« Reply #87 on: Jun 29, 2012, 02:41:27 PM »

well ...

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/160687545.html

nonotyet

« Reply #88 on: Jun 29, 2012, 02:51:14 PM »

OH GOOD
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #89 on: Jun 29, 2012, 04:23:32 PM »

So I have a friend who is an unemployed, divorced single mother of a 6 year old kid. She is currently on Badgercare but because Scott Walker a) survived the recall and b) is a giant dick, Badgercare got just decimated recently. She got a letter saying that because her ex-husband, who does not have custody of her kid [redacted, many things about how he is a fucking terrible human] is capable of putting the kid on his work insurance, my friend will lose her Badgercare in six months. She is currently on some meds that she really needs to stay on. Assuming that Obama and Obamacare survive, and her employment situation doe
s not change before then, can she just transition to Medicaid? Is that how this will work?    

She could get pregnant. That'll get you on Medicaid.

Dick

« Reply #90 on: Jul 03, 2012, 12:29:27 AM »

Christ, the scale of fraudulence and theft that has come to light from this LIBOR-fixing scandal stretches the bounds of comprehensibility.

Like, how might one even begin to enumerate what has been stolen here?  Is it even theft if neither the thieves nor those robbed can comprehend what has been taken?

We believe in hydration.
Good Intentions

« Reply #91 on: Jul 03, 2012, 06:10:11 AM »

The head of Barclay's has now stepped down, and already the LIBOR scandal has had a larger effect on the upper management of London banks than the Global Financial Crisis. A sobering thought.

(though some of you will notice the careful phrasing 'London bank' to exclude Northern Rock from the count, and even then I'm probably still forgetting something)
« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2012, 06:14:37 AM by Good Intentions » Logged
fishjim

« Reply #92 on: Jul 05, 2012, 01:47:59 PM »

Looks like the online community the WELL is probably shutting down. Long time in coming, and it's been decades since it really mattered, but in its heyday it was basically the LPTJ for the Grateful Dead and the Whole Earth Catalog type crowd. Lots of good folks creating a passionate online community from scratch.

A Maybe Farewell to the dear old Well
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2012, 01:52:27 PM by fishjim » Logged

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #93 on: Jul 06, 2012, 09:10:16 AM »

Holy shit, 80K jobs in June. We are *fucked*

think 'on the road.'
cold before sunrise

« Reply #94 on: Jul 06, 2012, 09:22:48 AM »

If you're going to be a reactionary then go to a protest or something.

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #95 on: Jul 06, 2012, 10:32:43 AM »

I don't think that word--oh fuck it

think 'on the road.'
fishjim

« Reply #96 on: Jul 10, 2012, 11:39:50 PM »

I was flipping through the UCB graduate school of journalism's news magazine the other day, and stopped at this photo. Made me realize I'd never seen the inside of San Quentin, despite having driven past it hundreds of times. The stats on the left are horrific.

Had to scan it, since they didn't put it online along with the rest of the articles. Hmm.

« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2012, 12:36:30 PM by fishjim » Logged

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
RavingLunatic

« Reply #97 on: Jul 12, 2012, 12:41:06 AM »

Yeah, that's disgusting. The way this country treats criminals, mostly nonviolent drug offenders, is unconscionable.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
jebreject

« Reply #98 on: Aug 05, 2012, 01:01:38 PM »

http://oakcreek.patch.com/articles/several-people-reported-shot-at-sikh-temple

I feel like I'm going to puke.

jm

« Reply #99 on: Aug 05, 2012, 01:13:43 PM »

When I heard about that, I had a question. This sentence pretty much answered it:

Sikh Indians, because of religious tradition, wear turbans to cover their uncut hair and have longer beards. They are often mistaken for Muslims and have been the targets of racially-motivated crimes by anti-Muslim people and groups, as evidenced by the epithets shouted at them.

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: New news thread (sorry no witticism lol)
Jump to: